Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

MAY 2018 !!!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sun May 06, 2018 8:54 pm

One thing I found really interesting was that he was completely unraced until this year.  He didn't race at all last year.  I've always thought that 2 was too young.  Maybe this is really bad logic, but when they race at 2, they have to spend some time recovering from the races, which isn't training time.  By waiting a year, they can take more time to do the conditioning and preparation, including things like gate training and manners.  
Again, only my opinion, but if they are taught better manners in the first three years, the jockeys would be able to get them to be more relaxed and not wash out before the race, and easier to rate in the race.

You know TV channel choices are bad when you find yourself watching a Cornhole Tournament. rake
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Mon May 07, 2018 12:18 am

That is an interesting article, GRAYMARE.   You have to go back at least 5 generations to find Secretariat, but he is there, the sire of two daughters that are in Justify's pedigree.  

I saw a clip of Justify this morning that showed him limping on a rear leg.  I hope he isn't hurt.  That mud had to be hard to run in.  

ELLEN:
They televise that? ROFL

The rain went thru here mostly overnight on Saturday, but it was nice today.  We didn't get nearly what they were predicting, I think Louisville got it.   We sure needed the rain that we got.  The grass will shoot up now.

The grazing muzzles continue, the horses still hate them.  Areion managed to get hers off once today, but she was the only one that did.  They see me in the yard and come running up to the gate, hoping that I will remove them.  I hide a lot. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Mon May 07, 2018 11:38 pm

ARK, I didn't search far enough back..............I'm not surprised that the big red horse has Secretariat twice in his pedigree...............

Also, I stand corrected, as I said Mendellson was 14th. He was a in post position 14, and ran last
n the race..........he headed back to Ireland today. He just didn't tolerate the track and large number of horses running.............I admired his jockey for taking care of him.

I'mslowly adjusting to the heat............... Drool Drool Drool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 am

CB, did you get a good response from the potential buyers on Sunday?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Tue May 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Neither showed after i worked my butt off....ack....
Oh well its ready now except for master bedroom carpet we had to order
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm

CB, hope it all goes well, soon.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Tue May 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Ohhhhh, I'm sooo full! The neighborhood gang went to the hotel for pizza this evening. Ate too much pizza; it was good. There were 11 of us, the first time we've all gotten together since the snowbirds got home for the summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Wed May 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Whats a cornhole tournament?

House is in the paper for sell, how about eveyone doing a moonlight sell the house dance. wavy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm on it CB...............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 pm

CB, it's a simple game that has been popular at campgrounds and tailgating. Here's a picture of what the boards look like. https://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cornhole-game.jpg The are place 27 feet apart. Each player has 4 bean bags to toss. Whoever gets the most bean bags into the hole on the opposite board wins. Very simple game. Lots of people make their own boards. A piece of plywood with a 6 inch hole in it and 8 inch legs on one end. It's painted to make it slick so that the bean bags will slide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Thu May 10, 2018 2:09 am

We play it in the mtns all the time..........LOL, I never win...............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm

I have a little round hummingbird ornament hanging on my glass door. This morning, the hummingbirds returned from their migration and one of them flew right up to the ornament. So, I filled my feeder and hung it. It took the little hummers about 10 minutes to find it. After that long trip, they must be hungry.
I love to watch those tiny little birds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 pm

When we lived in missouri we would go to amish area, but a birch beer and sit on their big front porch watching the hummingbirds, all the different colirs and just hundreds of them as they had feeders out the whole length of the porch. Loved doing that.
If anyone is in to opening a business, let it be a dog kennel or an rv park. Even in our lil podunk area everyone is filled up. Rv parks have waiting lists. I couldnt get dogs into a kennel here in town, 5 of them ir in boise area. Crazeee.
We have to stay in the area so harry can get his tests done at the va hospital. We may be here all summer....we may have to boondock and use generator a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm

I have never played Cornball, but it looks like fun. I have seen some boards that were decorated with all kinds of colors, it kind of added to the fun. I never heard of it on t.v., though.... Laughing

I love hummingbirds, too! We only have the ruby-throated kind here, I'd love to see the other colorful ones. I was sitting in the woods at our former house years ago, reading a spicy novel while watching my goats eat. The novel had a picture of a red flower on the cover. A hummingbird hovered next to my hand holding the book while checking out the flower, I could feel the breeze off its wings.... Very Happy So cute.
We had a hummer get into our house once. There's no catching one of those things, but it got tired and perched on Donnie's finger while he carried it out of the house.

Donnie cut our lower field yesterday afternoon. We need to do an anti-rain dance for the next three days. I am down to the dregs of my hay, I really needs some nice stuff to feed my beasts! It will be close to 90 degrees Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so if the rain showers can miss us, we should get in some nice hay.

My horses have gotten used to wearing their grazing muzzles all day, reducing my hay requirements by half. That has helped, but I do have to keep an eye on them all day. Sneaky Areion got her grazing muzzle off yesterday, it was hanging under her chin. Ivan's face is getting some marks from the straps, so I put one of those stretchy flymasks under the grazing muzzle and hope it will keep his face from being abraded. If they can wear their grazing muzzles 6 months of the year, it will reduce our hay needs by 200 bales. We wouldn't have to buy any from anyone else. Daisy is doing very well with it, she is keeping it on, moving around more than if kept only in a drylot, and is walking better than she has in ages. ClappingHands It keeps her with Ivan and Areion all day instead of isolating her from them. Social problems are reduced... Very Happy Life in my world.
Back to top Go down
Rose

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Robin finally found herself a heart horse.  A 7 yo Haffie gelding and my honest opinion is that Bud is just Awesome!  He's a registered A class from Dutch lines (dressage and hunt lineage).  We are super impressed with him.  We trail rode him, my sweet paint (Jack) and Lori rode her appendix QH (Tricks) today.  It was a great ride for the most part.  Of course there had to be a little too much excitement at one point when an obviously dumped emaciated dog charged us from the woods.  He went after Jack first but inspite of Jack's wheeling, kicking and jumping around I was able to maintain my seat, then dog went after Tricks, Lori stayed onboard too, then that big dog went for Bud.  That was a huge mistake on dog's part!  Bud was not in the least bit impressed and he connected at least 4 times with those size 6 feet.  Dog went back to the woods and we got to enjoy the rest of our ride in peace.  Dog zero, Bud hero!  First long trailride I've been on in a long, long time, going to do a lot more now.

Learned today that I need to work on my flexabilty for dismounting.  Any exercises anyone can recommend for an older lady?  Also learned that Cadillac Jack knows when he's got the old lady on him.  He has proven himself to be challenging when Lori has ridden him.  Spooking, suddenly sidepassing and rearing.  He knows when Mom is onboard and the most he did today was stomp his foot and a half-hearted rear when I wouldn't let him head home, calmed right down and was saintly the rest of the time, even with the dog attack.  All in all a wonderful day!

Wishing all Foops the happiest Mother's Day ever.

Hugs all around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rose

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Fri May 11, 2018 11:16 pm

PSS, how about a little rain dance for our pastures in this part of SC? Please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rose

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 pm

PSS, how about a little rain dance for our pastures in this part of SC? Please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sat May 12, 2018 7:13 am

Hello everyone.  Busy busy busy here in PA.  The weather is nicer FINALLY and there is so much to do.  We planted a small garden yesterday and have been helping out Barb with her garden that she has planted here.

The A/C units are finally in and working and now it's it's 41 degrees this morning.  LOL

My son who wrecked his truck in the last snowfall bought himself a nice used car, he had it 12 hours when a deer jumped on it on his way to work.  TOTALED. He is devastated.  Dang deer.  We are over run.  I counted 32 one evening out in the field and I'm sure there were more in the woods that I missed.  Now it's fawn season and there will be even more.  Our neighbors don't allow anyone to hunt on their property that runs along ours.  They will be sorry when the deer start dying in their fancy yards.  Too many deer for such a small area.

ELLEN:  We have a cornhole league at church.   It's quite popular.  I think back in Pittsburgh we called it something else.  Skill ball or something like that.  You are right...there is NOTHING on TV worth watching.

ROSE:  Congrats on a nice trail ride except for the dog incident.  So sad for the poor dog, but glad nothing happened to any of you guys.  I'll try to send you some of the non stop rain we have been getting.  The only day it is NOT supposed to rain is Thursday.

Working on the Military Order of the Purple Heart state convention.  It's right around the corner June 3,4,& 5.  So much to do to get things ready for the convention.  Made a trip to Sam's Club for snacks for the hospitality suite yesterday.

Loved the Derby.  Love those hats the ladies wear.  We wore our hats proudly at the Ladies Tea at church.  It was a blast.

Have a great Mother's Day weekend everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 am

The weather people are saying it is going to 90° for Ark's hay operation today. Here at my house, it's cold again this morning. It was a little too early in the season for warm weather to be here for the summer.

A hummingbird came to eat at the feeder, then decided to take a rest on the cable railing. They are soooo tiny; that never ceases to amaze me.

As for the deer accidents, here in Indiana there are about 17,000 of them a year. It isn't at all uncommon to see them along the road where they've been hit. There are a couple of places on the roads I travel that I know to really watch for them, especially about dusk.
Trudy, I'm so sorry about your son's truck. I hope the insurance company will take care of it for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sat May 12, 2018 12:36 pm

ROSE, good to see you. Congratulations on a GOOD ride! Tell Robin "hi". Glad she found a good horse.

Oh gads, TRUDY, if your son didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck. Hope he's fine.
Also, good luck with your Purple Heart convention. Have fun.

ARK, no rain dance for you, just for ROSE.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

God bless, prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sat May 12, 2018 4:36 pm

wavy WooHoo! ROSE is riding again!!! wavy I am so glad to hear how well you and Robin are doing! That dog incident was too scary, thank goodness no one was hurt. That is one of my biggest riding fears, loose dogs that are aggressive. Sounds like that horse put things to right. We all need one of those kinds of horses along with us on a trail.... Ivan isn't afraid of dogs, but has never been attacked by one. Areion is a bit afraid of them.
I hope you get some rain! I need ours to hold off for another day or so and then it can rain again here, too.

CB:
Did Harry get home okay?

GRAYMARE:
Thanks for the anti-rain dance! :dance: So far, so good! We were surrounded by thunderstorms yesterday evening and they all missed us. We should be baling tomorrow. Donnie is estimating we will get between 60 and 75 bales off the lower field. It is being cut early so we don't have to buy anymore hay this year. I have one last bale of Donnie's hay to use this evening, I saved it to help transition the horses back to our hay off the hay we bought last month. They are going to miss the alfalfa in the bought hay, but won't miss the mold I have found in so many of the bales and had to throw away. The use of the grazing muzzles has really saved us from that, and now that the horses are more used to the muzzles, they will be wearing them more often. The only bad part is Ivan's Arab cheekbones are getting scruffed up by the straps. I have to figure out a way to pad them.

ELLEN:
Yep, it is the hottest day of the year, so far. Whew! Good hay drying weather, though, there is a bit of a breeze. Oops, I called it cornball, LOL. I meant corn hole. Very Happy

TRUDY:
Wow, your family needs some Traffic Angels to protect them from deer and car accidents. We have a lot of deer here too, we saw a herd of about 20 the other day about a mile from here. We have bunches of turkeys to smash cars, too. Donnie had one of those hit our red truck right after we bought it back in 2004...I think. We cooked him and it turned out to be the worst turkey I ever baked. tongue I am glad your grandson wasn't hurt. I bet his insurance company hates him, though.

Hope all you mama types are having a wonderful weekend!! wavy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sat May 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Rose, I am really glad to hear that you are riding again and had a nice ride - the first of many, I hope.

Today was a rather long day of driving. Almost 3 hours to where I get my hair cut, and where my cousin lives. Then most of another hour to take she and a neighbor to a favorite restaurant, another hour back to cousin's, then 3 more hours home. It was a very nice day.
When I left this morning, it was about 50°. At lunch we sat on an open deck and it was 83°. When I got back home, it was 50° again. Brrrr.

Trudy, I have been embroidering some patches for vets. They are 4.5 inches wide and 3.25 high, made of dark blue wool felt with gold stitching. I put the vet's name, their company or other service info, and their dates of service. They seem to like them. A lot.
I made one for a new friend of my neighbor who also went on the Honor Flight. The guy is 86 and an active artist. He gave me a beautiful pen and ink drawing of a couple of harness horses at a local track. It is beautiful! I didn't/don't want to be paid anything, but he insisted. I feel very honored.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sun May 13, 2018 6:39 am

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.

ROSE:  Here is my dog attack story, on a trail ride we ran into a guy who had his dog off the leash in the park. A big no no. We are yelling get a hold of your dog as he looks like he might charge us.  The guy proceeds to tell us we better get outta here before he sicks his dog on us.  I reined Maxx in and on the off side I was giving him the go sign.  He was prancing and dancing throwing his head, I said "my horse kills dogs, go ahead and let your dog go and see what happens next."  He grabbed up his dog and ran the other way.   I gave Maxx and big hug for confusing him and we went on our way.  People are idiots.

ARK:  I'm sure my son's insurance company hates him.  2 wrecks within 2 months and neither was actually his fault.  Can't control snow and ice or deer.  One of the pastors at church just had a turkey fly into his windshield.  It's dangerous on the roads out in the country. Wild turkeys are not very tasty.

GRAYMARE: You are right about my son, he has the worse luck but he is blessed and wasn't hurt in either wreck. He has angels all around him.

ELLEN:  Those patches sound very nice.  The vet's appreciate anything we do for them.  Even just a "thank you for your service" warms their heart.  We have a couple local churches that make Quilts of Valor and gives them out to the vets.  The quilts are beautiful.  Thank you for what you are doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 am

Hope all moms of two and four legged kids have a great day today.
We are showing our house in hopes of selling it soon. We had to take everything out of our camper, put it in one if the bedrooms and clean it for trading in on a toyhauler that my husband had to have, im not thrilled with our new rv. Hope it grows on me. Now we have to get everything put into this camper....ackkkkk!
Ellen and Trudy, ty for doing what you do for our vets. You gals are special to them.
Rose, YAY for you riding!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Sun May 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Happy Mother's Day to All. Hope everyone has a great day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 am

Ark, did you get your hay baled and in the barn before any rain?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAY 2018 !!!   

Back to top Go down

MAY 2018 !!!
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next