Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

June 2018

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 am

June 2018

Summer time, at last!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 am

Happy Birthday, RICK!!

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:39 am

THANKS, ARK … for the horsey pictorial greeting! That's a real HOOT. hysterical I still have a couple more to go before reaching the 3/4 century mark.

Nothing special planned for here today so I guess Ill do some more mowing and enjoy my riding experience on the Kubota tractor ... would much prefer (going back in time) spending time in the saddle, but those days are now in the past.

Have a great day my FOOP FRIENDS ... I may not appear on these pages very often, but I do check in daily.

Love to all ... Rick

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm here.

By the way, ELLEN, I thought you had a tablet that you could use............? Hope so.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:30 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Rick. Eat all the ice cream and cake you can find. Smile

Yes, I do have a tablet and that is what I am using now. The tablet is rather old and out of date so it doesn't have much capacity. However, I will happily use it until my computer comes home.

Today is a little cooler, and it's about to rain a little bit. A mother duck is swimming around with her 4 babies. They don't seem to object to the rain. Yesterday, a platter sized turtle came ashore to lay her eggs. If nothing happens to them, there might be baby ???? s in 2 or 3 months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:30 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Rick. Eat all the ice cream and cake you can find. Smile

Yes, I do have a tablet and that is what I am using now. The tablet is rather old and out of date so it doesn't have much capacity. However, I will happily use it until my computer comes home.

Today is a little cooler, and it's about to rain a little bit. A mother duck is swimming around with her 4 babies. They don't seem to object to the rain. Yesterday, a platter sized turtle came ashore to lay her eggs. If nothing happens to them, there might be baby ???? s in 2 or 3 months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Ooops. The question marks were supposed to be a turtle. A little turtle icon came up and I wanted to use it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Happy birthday, Rick and moooooooony mooooore happy ones ahead!
Enjoy your tractor, harry and i ride our side by side we call Ralph now. I also miss the horses. But we still get out on the trails with ralph.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:31 pm

I totally missed it RICK...........gads, 3/4 century is a big one. Hope you've had a great day!
God bless you. We miss Snoop stories from time to time. Hint hint.

hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Well, that was interesting.  A pontoon was going down the lake when a DNR officer stopped them.  The driver was put in a life jacket and taken into the DNR boat.  They sat there for a while before the guy was hand cuffed, and taken to a nearby launch ramp.  It wasn't long before a sheriff's car arrived and took both the officer and the guy away.
Just guessing, but the guy had probably consumed too much wobbly water.  He might get to be a guest of the county tonight.
The DNR  patrols the lake occasionally, and I have seen them stop boats, but I have never seen them take someone into custody.  There were probably binoculars trained on it from all over this end of the lake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Hey, serves him right for drinking and driving a boat..............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:31 pm

We r having first 90 degree day...very warm.
Posted yesterday but its gone...mhafb airshow had a hang glider crash and die. Closed the show down. Today was second day, we watched the planes flying over the house but couldnt see maneuvers. But they are neat to watch.
Just stayed home...puppy fogs under the fans...me, too.
Found some curio cabinets that fit well in the camper, gives more storage that we needed. Getting organized bit by bit. He finally got his first set of appts for june 20 for va.
No bites on the house...sigh...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm

To set the record straight... The guy who was in trouble the other day was stopped because he didn't have the registration numbers on the pontoon he bought in April. The company had the numbers ready for him but he had not picked them up and put them on the boat. In that, he was wrong and could be justifiably ticketed.
This is the part where Barney Fife comes into play. He had a beer, but only blew .01. He didn't give the officer any trouble but still got to spend the night in jail.
I have great respect for all enforcement officers, but over the years I have seen several instances of over zealous minor officers. Travis talked to the guy and got the details right from the horse's mouth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Holy cow.................Barney at his best. Sorry for the new boat owner. I thought he was drunk from what you had said, Ellen, and, with that info I would hope he would be jailed. Your lake is small and a drunk boat operator would be dangerous.

My apologies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:45 am

I thought he was drunk too. I couldn't think of any other reason that he would have been arrested. Drinking on boats is fairly common. Most boating accidents involve excess drinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 am

Isnt operating👅 a boat the same as a car, no drinking while doing so, no open container law. I guess if he is anchored, not moving, he could....i dont know. I do know in our lake here closest to us, there are deaths from drinking, a few years back 3 kids from same family.
Geesh, its chilly and humid...
Doesnt feel like june.
Sunny, hot daytime tho, feels like july. Mother nature playing with our minds, doesnt she know we are on her side. tongue Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 am

Isnt operating👅 a boat the same as a car, no drinking while doing so, no open container law. I guess if he is anchored, not moving, he could....i dont know. I do know in our lake here closest to us, there are deaths from drinking, a few years back 3 kids from same family.
Geesh, its chilly and humid...
Doesnt feel like june.
Sunny, hot daytime tho, feels like july. Mother nature playing with our minds, doesnt she know we are on her side. tongue Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

You're right about it being illegal to drink and drive a boat, but too many break the law. Many people drink and party on shore then go for a boat ride. There are very few DNR officers, and most get away with it. We only see DNR officers a few times a summer. Not all of them are Barneys.
This guy got stopped in the first place because he was too lazy to pick up the numbers for his new pontoon. Not having numbers at all is a guaranteed attention getter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Hooray!!!! My computer is home!!! It has a new screen, but everything else was undamaged.
This has been the week of stuff needing repair, starting with the computer, going on to flat front tires on the lawn tractor, and then the walk behind mower needing a carburetor cleaned. Of course, none of the repairmen want to work for free, so my budget took a hit. Oh well. Stuff happens.

Today is a beautiful day, and the new front wheels on the tractor are going to get some exercise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:32 pm

We had soring noe going into summer temps in the 90s, but still cool at night where ine needs blankies.
Just hanging out....not doing whole lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Don't forget. The Belmont is on Saturday, NBC 1P...............go JUSTIFY1. He drew # 1
post position.....I don't know if that's good or bad. I think he better breakaway fast but I don't know
the racing strategy behind all that. I'm sure we'll hear all the gobbled gook on Saturday.
I'm pretty simple when it comes down to it..............it's a crap shoot.

Everyone have. a good day.

sunny sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

I've been to race tracks about 4 times in my life. Each time, I bet a whole big $2 on the races. In lower level races, I did okay, and each time I won enough to pay for dinner. There was usually one horse that sort of stood out to me. In higher level races, I didn't do well. What I have learned from watching horse races my whole life on TV, is to NEVER bet more than $2. It's kind of fun to put a small wager on a race just to have one horse to cheer for.

Ark, where are you? We haven't seen you all week?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm

ELLEN:
 I am here!  Just got busy and forgot to post.  I routinely check to make sure the website is still working and read new posts everyday, but then got called away and didn't get back to making a post.  Everything is fine, ELLEN!  Thanks!  

Donnie and I are on a jag to clear out accumulated farm junk and old house appliances.  We have a trailer load of metal to go to a metal buying place, along with a couple of trash bags full of aluminum cans. (My big vice:  Dr. Zevia.  Tastes like Dr. Pepper, but sweetened with stevia.)   There is a big stack of old t-posts from our property's dairy farm days, old fencing,  assorted old gates going there.   The back of our red truck, BART, is full of old air conditioner, dishwasher, microwave, and something else I can't remember.... Rolling Eyes  .  That is going to the dump recycle bin.   So we have been busy bees.  I can see how farms accumulate junk.   It's going.  Then the garage will be sorted... affraid

I had a really fun lesson on Ivan and Areion yesterday with Lori!  Last week, Ivan was a bit ouchy from being trimmed the same day.  He uncharacteristically didn't want to trot.   He was wonderful yesterday, back to his energetic and fun self.  Lori continues to prove that Ivan is not the problem in our quest to bend around corners, it is me.  She and Ivan can do it perfectly.  I sort of don't do it perfectly... Rolling Eyes   .  And then I rode Areion!  Wow, she is fun when we both are on the same page! :dance:   She was in a good mood and we did those corners with no problem!   So far my air vest has been worn, but not deployed.  I hope it stays that way.  

If Donnie can work on our trailer brakes before Saturday, Lori and I will take the horses to the New River Trail for the first time this year.  We need a few trail miles.   I may have to set the t.v. to record the Belmont if we get to go.  I vote for Justify, too.  

Okay, yesterday's other adventure:  I was finishing up the barn work by cleaning Daisy's stall.  The little flycatcher birds were zooming around more than usual and I happened to look up at one of the nests.  Coiled inside of the nest was a blacksnake!!!!! affraid  affraid  affraid   This nest is located where a snake killed all the birds a couple of years ago, but we had taken measures to prevent access by another snake.  Well, that didn't work.  This nest is a good 12 feet up and not reachable from the ground.  I did not have Donnie around to save me from dealing with the snake, so grabbed my manure fork, climbed up into the hayloft that looks over Daisy's stall, and reached out with the fork to dislodge the snake.  The birds kept zooming around.  I was hovering precariously over the edge of the loft with the manure fork poking the snake, who was not amused.  He would not let go of the nest, but finally I knocked him, and the poor nest, off of the rafter.   So now he was on the floor with the nest and two chicks and I was in the barn loft over his head.  My fork and I raced back across the hayloft, down the ladder, and back to Daisy's stall.  Then I had to deal with a 4 foot black snake on the floor.  I think he may have been a bit dazed from his drop to the floor, so wasn't quite ready for me, giving me time to figure out how I was going to catch him, but not touch him.   Of course there was nothing big enough nearby to catch him in and he was becoming more active, so I pinned him with the manure fork, twisted him like spaghetti, had near heart failure when he hissed at me,  and ran out of the barn with the snake on the fork.  I had to pick him up a couple of times, he coiled up and acted pretty put out by all this.  I got him to the far side of the arena, out the far gate, and threw him as far as I could into the woods.   I felt like PeeWee Herman in his movie, PeeWee's Big Adventure, when he had to save all those snakes from the burning pet store.  I was a brave coward.

So now I had to deal with the poor little chicks.  Their nest was on the floor with them, but both were still alive.  They had just started getting feathers, so not very far along.  I don't know how many the snake ate, but those birds usually have 3 or 4 chicks.  I couldn't reach their nest site.  I found a small bucket that a supplement had come in that still had a handle, found a bucket hanger, and tied the hanger onto the handle.  I put some hay into the bucket, the broken nest with chicks into the bucket, and climbed back into the hayloft with the manure fork and bucket.  I managed to get the bucket hung from the ceiling about a foot from their nest site with the fork.  (Poor little chicks, I hope they live.  I think the parents are visiting the chicks in the bucket, I saw them zooming around it this morning.)

Then my adrenaline crashed and I crept back up to the house and had a nap.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Ark, why didn't you run to the house for the Febreeze? That would have chased the snake away. hysterical ROFL lol! I enjoyed a good laugh.
I hope the babies do survive. It doesn't take very long for them to fledge.

I know about that garage cleaning out thing. Mine has been in pretty good shape for a couple of years, but at the moment, it needs to be reorganized again. The car still fits, but the work bench is a mess and I can't find things without moving a bunch of stuff around. It always feels so good to get rid of unwanted and unneeded stuff. With cousin and friend coming this weekend, that will be a next week project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:59 pm

ELLEN:
 Ooops, I called them flycatchers.  The birds are actually barn swallows.  

Folks think I am afraid of all spiders, but actually, I am only afraid of the BIG ones. affraid  I don't kill them if I can capture them and throw them out into the bushes.  Snakes, on the other hand, I am afraid to touch!  I want the snakes to live, they serve a purpose, I just don't want then snacking on the baby birds in the barn.  It is really too bad I am such a chicken about handling non-poisonous snakes, it would be so much easier to just pick them up and move them.   The manure fork worked pretty good this time, but I think the snake was a little addled from his 12 foot drop to the floor.

I just checked on the chicks and they are still alive!  I guess the parent birds  have figured out where the family has moved.  

Our garage has 20 years of accumulated junk in it.  It will be a major clean-up job before we see the entire floor.  Rolling Eyes   Good luck with yours!!  I wish I had some victims to clean ours!  ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2018   

Back to top Go down

June 2018
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next