Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

July 2018

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Boy, the midwest had some really bad storms...............and those drownings in
Branson sure was awful. Prayers for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Yes, we've had rain on and off all day. Some of it has been hard rain for shorter periods of time. Earlier today we had one pretty good blow that lasted for about 3 or 4 minutes. That's common here in the summer.
At a town south of here, there was some damage with trees falling, and power outages.

So far, they are saying the duck boats got caught in a storm that blew up really fast. Nobody's fault. It just happened.
Years ago, we took one of the duck boat rides in the Wisconsin Dells. It was fun. When this happened, I was surprised that those amphibious crafts couldn't stand rougher water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:11 pm

GM it was terrible having a duck capsized and have all those fatalities....am sorry for all the families having to deal with this when they went to have family fun.

When hubby went to get ice at 3 pm it was 129 degrees in the truck....had to start it and let it cool for a bit before he could drive it. No rain here and we could use it.

Nothing much happening here....reading and playing games on my phone....too hot to be outside even in the shade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:51 am

Big picnic this afternoon at the Gold Star parents farm.  About 40 of the Veterans and spouses will be attending.  Praying for the rain to hold off until this evening and not ruin the picnic.

I picked black berries yesterday.  WOW what a patch we have this year.  Big plump wonderful berries.  Now I'll have to make a black berry pie. I couldn't believe my eyes, last year there was not a berry worth fighting the thorns for. 

I also dug up beets and got them cleaned cooked and into the freezer.  Barb's garden is about finished.  Picked some carrots and beans for dinner.  Our tomatoes in the big pots are turning red.  YIPPEEEEE home grown tomatoes.

Here's a little Ace story.  George was having a low blood sugar attack yesterday.  I was upstairs and looked down the steps, Ace was running back and forth at the bottom of the steps, panting and looking very stressed.
I came down quickly, he ran into the kitchen making sure I was following him, where I found George sitting in a chair looking out of it.  Tested his blood sugar and it was 77, BP 119/63  OH OH.  Not good.  That dog knows when George has a blood sugar problem and alerts me.    George is fine and Ace got a extra treat. What a great dog he is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:37 am

Trudy, it's really interesting how dogs seem to know when something internal is wrong with their people. I've heard a lot of stories of things like that happening. One woman had been diabetic since she was 4 years old. One of her dogs would wake her in the night if there was a problem with her blood sugar. They are having some success at training dogs to recognize an imminent seizure, which gives the person time to get to a safe place. Dogs are truly amazing creatures.
I sure hope the rain doesn't ruin your picnic. We are getting rain here this morning. This is looking like it could be a mostly rainy day.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Hmmmmm. Everybody must be too bored to write................. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Went yard sailing got some pillows for the couch a shirt a long dress and Harry got a dog bed for when he has to sleep in the doghouse...and a box of junk stuff for a buck. He says he can find treasures within....ha! Then took the dogs to the dog park here on base so they could run and chase balls. Back home now. H is napping and so are the dogs.
Sleep it was 95 at at 130...climbing right on up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 pm

We are in the midst of thunderstorms and haven't gotten any rain yet. It's been going around us all week. Surely this batch will give us a little rain for our poor grass.

I helped load 115 square bales into our barn yesterday that I bought. The hay guys are only getting half their usual amounts of hay, so I am not waiting to buy it. It may be scarce later in the year. I have another 100 bales coming in a couple of weeks. Our grass is really suffering.

Areion is still moving slowly. If she doesn't improve in a few days we are going to take her in to Virginia Tech and have her checked out. They are going to tell me she is fat. She doesn't show any signs of flinching when the hoof tester is used on her feet and her pulse in her fetlocks appear normal. No heat.

And to top off the week, the crown I got last year is still too high in parts and when I bite something hard, it goes straight to my jaw bone. It is somewhat excruciating. This week, I could not eat or sleep due to the pain. I called my dentist's office on Thursday and was told I could get in on Monday the 30th. I told them my jaw was swelled and I felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat, but the new young man answering the phone said 'he understood, but there wasn't any openings until then". I said what about emergencies, and he said all those slots were filled. So they don't care if I am in terrible pain for 10 days. I will be changing dentists. This crown was put in by them and has never been right.

I hope everyone else's week has gone MUCH better!!!

Donnie has been very nice, fixing me soft things to eat. Advil is my friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:24 pm

My computer is off kilter. Trudy & Ellen's posts just came up.............
Hmmmmmm. It's got to be my computer because, certainly, I'm not
off kilter..................

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 pm

ARK, Aerion with a bad foot, you with a bad tooth...........BAD NEWS.

Hope you feel better fast.

TRUDY, YAY Ace.................great dog.

CB, sorry it's so hot there but cool compared to Phoenix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 pm

What's temps in Phoenix? It gets hot here but we usually get breaks....but by time they are saying break will be in Sept. Phoney.
Ark have you tried orajel that might help. Or maybe just get stinking drunk and stay that way until your appointment. Hope it gets better or they can can finally fix it right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:00 am

110-115 CB..........brutal. But we just do everything before the heat.......
110-115 is at 4P in the afternoon................I feed at about 5A and do stalls.
Let horses out by 8-9A and in again by 4-4:30P. It all works..........
And I have shaded open stalls with fans. Fans don't cool but they keep bugs off.
Both horses have huge water barrels. I don't ride in the heat and I don't keep
horses fit any more. BUT, I ride to the degree I can............

walk horse hysterical
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:06 am

Today seemed to be a harbinger of fall. The high was only 70°, and it rained on and off ALL day. There is still rain all around us. There was a dry time in the afternoon, so boaters and swimmers did have time for some fun.
Trudy, did you get your picnic in with no rain?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:48 am

ARK:  How awful to have that pain in your mouth and your dentist won't help.  I'd be changing dentists.  It does seem to be a way of life with dentists and even doctors lately.  My neighbor broke a tooth off and his dentist wouldn't see him for weeks either.  Thank God for my dentist, she will squeeze me in no matter if she has to stay overtime.  Poor Aerion, those cut on the leg have such a hard time healing.

We did have rain yesterday, tons of it and it's raining this morning and going to rain for the next few days non stop. Good for the well.

The Veteran picnic was a success, they had tables set up in their garage so we partied and ate inside out of the rain.  It was nice turnout and everyone had a great time.  Good to see all the Vets relaxing and enjoying themselves.  It turned chilly for a middle of July day, people were putting on jackets.  Great food and good conversation.

I picked more black berries early yesterday.  YUMMMMMM  The barn swallows were dive bombing my head while I was picking.  Crazy birds.  I hope the rain doesn't knock the berries off the bushes so I can pick more and get them in the freezer for winter.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:23 pm

We had rain on and off all day - again. Travis had taken his speedboat for a run and got caught too far from home when the rain hit. He was completely soaked by the time he got back. Things like that don't bother him. He was more concerned about getting the boat dried out once he got it under the canopy of the lift.
Little Misses Scarlett and Lilah came over to visit in the hope I might have a cookie for them. I did. I like it that they like to come over. I always make sure that they have asked permission.
Late in the afternoon, I decided I was going to make bread. I WUV my stand mixer. It makes the job so quick and easy. The proofing takes a while, but the mixing is exactly 8 minutes. Supper was the very warm heel of one loaf. I LOVE warm fresh bread with butter smeared on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 am

ELLEN:
That bread sounds wonderful! Drool Donnie is a bread fanatic, I am a fan, but not a fanatic.. The smell while it is baking is worth making it even if you don't get to eat it! How old are those little girls now?

TRUDY:
I will be changing dentists. The new office 'help' practically smirked as he told me that there was no way the dentist would help. They could have at least suggested alternative emergency dentists or help. It really felt like I had been hit by a baseball bat for three days.
The good news is, the pain is manageable since yesterday. I have been taking Advil every 8 hours and using Ambisol (I think) to numb things a little. The swelling on my jaw has reduced a little and I can carefully eat soft things. Donnie has been so good about helping make meals that I can eat. He had read somewhere that women having heart attacks sometimes show it with jaw pain and had a bit of a scare for awhile. He keeps track of my health better than I do since I got so sick 6 years ago.

We still have had barely any rain. Huge thunderstorms keep going around us, barely skimming by and sprinkling a little. I think our house has a big, invisible umbrella over it. It is cooler, though. I hope it rains today, my grass is suffering.

Areion felt better with Bute and Kazi's old SoftRide boots. She still shows no signs of heat, increased pulse in her fetlocks or pain while having pressure applied to her hooves. No riding lessons until she is well for her or Ivan. I don't think Ivan minds that.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:28 pm

ARK, did you find a dentist for today. I hurt for you.

TRUDY, your party sounded great.

Hot hot hot in the valley today. It will even be hot in the mtns but it will cool off & rain in the afternoon.

Everyone have a great day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Ark, do you have a good stand mixer? With a mixer, it's really easy to make bread. In years past, I wore out three bread makers. I was going to get another one until I discovered that the mixer does just as well. If you have a mixer, I can send you the recipe and instructions for the bread that I make. It does turn out pretty well.
Nice warm soft bread would be easy to chew. Very Happy

We got quite a bit of rain over the last couple of days. The grass that was brown and dry is mostly green now. The heat we had a couple of weeks ago shouldn't be as much of a problem as it was. No 90s, just 80s. If it doesn't rain this afternoon, I'll probably mow just to even things up a little bit.

Hard to believe that school will start in just over three weeks. It seems like summer just started.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:17 pm

In case anybody is interested, here is a link to TWO ingredient bread. I haven't tried this one yet, but it certainly looks promising. Ice cream and self-rising flour.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/quickandeasy/the-best-bread-in-the-world-has-only-2-ingredients/ar-AAzOTgf?ocid=spartandhp
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm

GRAYMARE:
I don't have a new dentist yet, Donnie is checking our insurance at work to see who we can use. The good news is, the pain is manageable now with Advil every 8 hours and being careful not to chew hard things on that side. I will have a new dentist soon.

ELLEN:
Thanks for the 2 ingredient bread recipe! I am definitely going to try that. I don't have any bread mixing devices, just a regular mixer. The 2 ingredient recipes look like even I could make bread! I am going to get some ice cream and try that. Donnie will be shocked if I make bread... Laughing
I can make cornbread and spoonbread, but have really never tried yeast breads. (Like I said, I have never been a bread fanatic.) Donnie used to make yeast bread and sourdough bread many years ago in a crockpot. I suspect when he retires in a year, he will be back into that kind of stuff. I bet he loves the 2 ingredient breads. Have you tried it?

Areion is definitely feeling a bit better. Yesterday I could barely get her to walk, today she led easily. Her bute from yesterday should have worn off, so I gave her just 1 gram this morning. She is in an area where she can't reach trees to browse or grass over a fence. We suspect she has been eating much more than we knew earlier, which is why she wasn't losing weigh despite the grazing muzzle and limited hay. She is probably the most clever horse we have, she can open multiple latches and latches on gates, everything has to be double and triple locked with her.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:52 pm

I forgot to answer about the girls. They are 6, 4, and 11 months. Scarlett will be in first grade this year. Lilah will be second year preschool.

I'm glad to hear that Areion is doing better today, and that you are too.

I had never had a stand mixer until about 7 or 8 years ago. One of my cousins used to work for Whirlpool Kitchenaid and all her relatives could use her discount. Thanks to her, I got nice kitchen appliances, stove, dishwasher, etc, and later the mixer. I absolutely LOVE my mixer. It is so much stronger than most of the hand held ones. I can make a batch of cookies, start to finish, in 30 minutes. With the dough hook, it will do all the kneading for the bread. All I have to do is shape it and put it in loaf pans.
I have the grinder attachment for it too. I can grate cheese in a hurry, and slice potatoes just as quick.
Maybe a stand mixer would be a good retirement gift for Donnie.

I haven't tried the two ingredient bread yet. I'll need to make some ice cream before I do that. A couple of years ago, I decided to put homemade ice cream into little cups with lids. When the gang is here, they can grab a cup and enjoy it whenever they like. This year, I had made some chocolate devils and had some left over ganache. Some of them started putting the ganache on their ice cream. I suspect I'll be making that with some frequency in the future. hmmmm Now that I think about it, ganache drizzled on that two ingredient bread would probably have considerable merit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Rain rain and more rain.  Torrential downpours on and off for 3 days.  Localized flooding and roads closed.  Flash flood warnings everywhere.  Local amusement park flooded.  I took 3 rain showers yesterday just trying to get from the store and MOPH meeting back to the truck.

Roof leaking, Ricky Had to climb up and try to seal off the leak on Sunday.  So far it's working.  Insurance man is coming tomorrow morning.  Water bubble in the ceiling in one bedroom.  YIKES...contractors on their way this week too.  The Amish guy showed up already but can't do anything until it stops raining.

Muddy water in the toilets, surface water in the well.  AUUUGHHHHHHH  Using bottled water to cook.  Oh well,this too shall pass.  Thursday is supposed to be a rain free day.  Praying for sunshine..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Oh wow Trudy....is knoebels flooded....i heard Hershey was.
Not good right before fair again.....hope your well gets alright....and roof fixed.
We r so dry here.....hot and dry. We need rain.
Headed for VA appt for PTSD evaluation. Finally getting him to go. Finally...thank heavens.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:51 pm

Boy, TRUDY, drenching rain can be so damaging. That's how monsoons are.
I hope everything works out for repair.........prayers from here.

CB, hope Harry has a good appt and gets good help.

114 today in the valley, raining here and 70.

Everyone have a good day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Trudy, nicer weather should have almost reached you. It is gorgeous here this evening. Clear, low humidity, slight breeze.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:21 pm

Pa weather map didn't look like any good weather was coming just more rain.
103 here today....it truly doesn't stay over 199 like this for this long...but we have days 109 to 115 here....so I guess I'll settle for 103 and keep on truck in.
Took forever for

appt today....4 hours. Now more appts on the horizon...we might get out if here before the snow flies....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 2018   

Back to top Go down

July 2018
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next