Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

September 2018

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: September 2018   Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Happy September 2018!

Leaf raking time is approaching.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:05 pm

And here we are! September 2018 already. It has been a very hot summer here and it's still hanging on. We have a thunderstorm going on right now. While I don't like the shorter days, I do appreciate the cooler temps coming....just not winter's cooler temps.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:29 pm

Here I am, too.

I thought the National service for John McCain was phenomenal.

And, America is still great..................no matter what Trump thinks or does.

ARK, you can kick me off the board if you choose. I'm appalled at Trump.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 pm

GRAYMARE:
 I would never throw anyone off this board.  In fact, the only ones who have been blocked have been obvious foreign intruders intent on our info.

That said,  you should probably know that I have been appalled since Trump slithered down that escalator.  I was appalled when that tape came out about his sexual exploits towards women and then women still supported him.  I was appalled when he was so disrespectful towards Gold Star families and then military folks still supported him.  I was appalled when he was supportive of Nazi and white nationalists and then any white person still supported him.  I was appalled he called the press 'The enemy of the people' and said for folks not to believe anyone but him, a sure path to fascism.  I was appalled when he used his bully pulpit to bully individuals and U.S. companies.  I am appalled at his intolerance, his ignorance, his name calling, his racism, his money grubbing,  and his love of dictators.  And I don't understand anyone still supporting him after how he treated Senator McCain, both before and after his death.  Basically,  I spend a lot of time being appalled.

Maybe I should throw myself off the forum.... ROFL  

I looked up after writing this and Donnie was taking my photo.  Life goes on....so far. flower

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 pm

The last couple of days, I've had a cold.  Today, I decided that homemade bread would probably cure it.  ROFL  Since I'm feeling much better today, it must have worked.  

This is the last big weekend, and everybody who owns anything that floats is here.  The lake was really busy this afternoon, and will be tomorrow.  Monday afternoon about 4:00, everything will go dead calm.  
It looks like we are still going to have some summer days coming up this week.  Still time for a few swims.

Next day: I have always had trouble getting hard boiled eggs to peel easily. I never get them cooked just right. Today, I tried doing them in the pressure cooker. To my surprise, it worked perfectly! The shells just slid right off.
I know you couldn't have survived the day without knowing that little tidbit. ROFL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:05 pm

How many minutes in the instapot, ELLEN?

Nice morning here but now rainy. We came out of church and it was sprinkling.

We have a potluck tomorrow............I'm bringing cantaloupe &. watermelon.
I'm carving the watermelon out and making it look like a basket..............
upscale hotel that we are................LOL. Anyhow, it will be fun.

So what's on everybody's agenda for the holiday?

God bless..................

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Graymare, put just a cup of water in the bottom, add the eggs (I put mine on a rack), set it for 5 minutes under pressure, then natural release for 5 minutes, finish with quick release, then immediately move the eggs to ice water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:07 am

Hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day. We didn't do a thing, grilled some steaks and made a trip to the Amish store for roofing screws. While we were there I was checking out the horse equipment. WOW everything is so expensive nowadays. George ushered me outta that area of the store quickly before I got any ideas about getting a horse. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am

Hot again all weekend!  We spent the weekend mowing the yard, cleaning the barn, just usual stuff.   We were going to haul some scrap metal to the recycler place on Friday, but poor Donnie got into an unseen wasp nest in the trailer's tongue.  He got stung about 10 times on both hands.  So we updated our sting meds in our first aid kit and bought some wasp killer.  He is on a mission to do in wasps now.

TRUDY:
 Here is an article for you to show George!

http://soulfulprairies.com/studies-show-women-horses-live-15-years-longer-dont/

We finally hung up the quilt my sister made and gave us last Christmas:

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Ark, that is a BEAUTIFUL quilt.  I remember it from before.  That would have taken a LOT of time and effort to get that all put together.

I have a bug guy who comes every month, May through September, to spray all around the house.  There have been three different times when I've had wasp or bees nests that needed to GO.  I called him and he has come immediately to eradicate the nests.  That is a separate charge, but boy it's sure worth it.  One was a wasp nest the size of a large basketball.  It was high up on a tree branch.  They had to set up a ladder on the deck and then reach way out with a long pole to get to the nest.  It was just a bit risky, but they got the job done.

The lake is quiet today. Everybody went home, and some won't be back until next summer. We'll still have nice weekends, but with school activities and sports, there won't be as much action on the lake. That means I'll have some really great jet ski rides, having the whole place to myself. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I'm still hanging around reading daily, but have little to add. I "think" I told you that MIL passed away and was buried Aug. 15 in Pittsburgh PA. That was a fast trip and tiring for me. Ive not been "well" since then … had and have a horrible UTI and additional trouble in that area since. Hopefully when I see my doc on 10th we can figure out a resolution to my difficulties. Enough of that!!

We've had just enough rain with frequent afternoon / nighttime showers to keep grass growing prolifically. My yard … what was pasture at one time … would surely support a couple horses now!! I keep yard mowed up close to the house (and road), but the rest is getting ahead of me.

Carol says dinner is about ready ....!!

Love to all ... Rick

ps: Haven't heard anything about OLDMAN in a long, long time...?? Certainly hope they are doing well. They were gracious hosts when I stopped by one time while trucking.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:39 am

ARK:  George said to tell you the reason why women live longer when they have horse is because the men do all the manual farm labor while us girls have all the fun with the horses.  LOL

RICK:  Sorry to hear you have been so ill.  Prayers for you.

It's still HOT and miserable here and the bugs are just terrible.  Our farmer can't get into the fields to even mow, the ground is still so wet. 72 this morning, feels like 77 and the humidity is 96%.  Gonna be another miserable day.  Come on fall show your beautiful face and cooler temps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 am

Sure sorry to read you're not well, RICK. Hope the doctors get you back to
health.

Nothing new here..........oh, I went to the county fair today and had a good time.
Those kids are SO cute. Some of the exhibits were really cute with little kids,
rabbits, chickens, ducks, & geese. It was living comedy to my heart. The 4 H kids are tomorrow with sheep, pigs, cattle, & horses..........they were so cute
getting them ready........bathing & clipping, etc. Finished off with pink
cotton candy. MMMMMMM. ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands

ELLEN, how is your friend PIRRKO?

Bye for noe. God bless, prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:01 am

TRUDY:
Donnie agrees with George, LOL. The ground isn't soggy here, it is actually a bit dry. I just heard that a hurricane may hit the east coast next week. Watch out!
The wasps are bad here this year. I have been lucky, so far, and not been stung.(Knock on wood.) Poor Donnie got nailed last week on both hands.

Our power was off all day yesterday while the power company installed a new pole and transformer on the property next door. They had to go thru our pasture to get to the pole, so the horses were locked up all day. The power company had to cut our fence, but they repaired it better than it was originally. So now we have a new transformer that doesn't put out a signal onto Donnie's radio. He's happy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:52 am

Pirkko is doing okay. SHE called me a week or so ago to see if her family could borrow my kayak when they were here. (They didn't wind up using it.) But, I was glad she was the one who called. Her 84th birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. We are planning some kind of get-together for her.

Our fairs were all in July. With schools starting so early, the State Fair starts earlier too. That means the country fairs have to be done before that. I don't know how they are managing to get the garden crops far enough along to exhibit.

This morning, it's only 65° with a hefty breeze. The cottonwood trees are dropping leaves like crazy. Those leaves are always the first to go. I mowed the yard a couple of days ago, so there were no leaves on the grass at all. By the next morning, it didn't look like the yard had been touched. The rest of the trees are still green.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm

A bright sunny morning..............40 degrees. LOL, even Rex thought
it was cold...............it will be 72 later. Perfect.

Everyone have a great day.

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Big surprise. It's raining again. Not exactly the weather the neighbors were hoping for today. They are having a big wedding party at their house. They have a big tent, and a garage that is good for a party too. They just won't be playing in and on the water. The music started about 2:00 this afternoon, and will probably go on the rest of the evening. Since it's raining, I have all the doors closed so it won't bother me.

The NASCAR race at Indy has been cancelled for today. I'm betting that the other race scheduled for tomorrow won't happen either. I'm betting both races will be Monday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Hang in there, Trudy. The back side of this rain is almost to you.
It's still overcast here, but at least it isn't raining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:20 am

It's here Ellen.  The rain arrived Saturday night and is still here.  People are freaking out about the creeks and rivers again.  A lot have not cleaned up from the last nightmare and here we go again. And it's COLD, 51 this morning, after 95 on Friday it's a shock to the nervous system.  I'm in long pants and my bathrobe.  

Me & my girlfriends are going to the movies tomorrow to see "God Bless The Broken Road".  We have a lot fun spending the day together.  After the movie we will have a snack before heading home.  Hope the rain doesn't deter us from getting to the theater with flooded roads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ark
Admin

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:31 am

It's been raining here in SW Virginia off and on for a couple of days, too. And yesterday the high was 67 degrees after weeks of 90-ish degrees. I just about froze, ROFL . We will sure enjoy 67 degrees this winter! And now, Virginia, along with NC and SC, is under a hurricane warning and states of emergency. The weather guys are warning that a good possibility is that the hurricane will track in our direction and get stalled over us because of the high pressure cell that is in place. Our area might get up to 19 inches of rain..... affraid affraid Hopefully the weather guys will change their minds.

So the stores are already busy selling bottled water, milk and bread. We were at Krogers yesterday, our usual shopping day, and the store was packed. It will get worse as the week goes on. Our biggest problem will be flooding into the barn from that much rain. We are going to work on ditching and rearranging things to block southern winds into the barn. It is open to the south.

ROSE:
Batten down the hatches. affraid

The World Equestrian Games being held this week in SC is surely going to be impacted.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 pm

It's looking like Florence is going to be one angry lady. I hope everybody in those areas will leave and take their critters with them.

We MIGHT actually get some sun tomorrow. After 5 days of clouds and overcast and rain, the sun will be very welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 am

Here it is 911.  I dread this day, it makes me so sad for all the people who lost their lives that day and on the days after.  What a freaking nightmare.  I'd love to go and see the chimes in Shanksville when they are finished.  It has to be amazing. 911 is a day that will forever be scorched in my mind. I know exactly what I was doing, what the weather was like and the horror of not knowing where our son Kevin was when I turned on the TV and saw the planes hitting the Towers.

Praying for all the family members and friends of the people who lost their lives on that fateful day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:13 am

Trudy, I agree with everything you said.

Much later:  Rick please check in after the storm comes through to let us know you are okay.  I hope Rose will check in too.  Some friends in Charlotte are planning to head north to Ohio.
I was reading about the ponies on Chincoteague; they will be left to survive on their own. They've survived through 500 years of storms, so they'll probably make another one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:56 am

Didjamissme?
Tried and tried...finally accepted me after 11 days...

I think the va is better working for veterans....lots of veterans passing thru the rv park...that seems like the general consensus. Harry is done with his appointments...got his hearing aids for free...now we are waiting impatiently for our new black water tank to get here so we can have it installed....we have winter reservations lined up.

Everyone stay safe in this awful storm...evacuate if they tell you. Its sounding bad. I will hummmmm.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Glad to have you back, CB. I hope you can get headed south pretty soon. Idaho snow will be starting.

We are having a really nice early fall day, with a few more to come. The more the better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   

Back to top Go down

September 2018
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next