Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MARCH 2019

Go down 
+4
Ellen E
Beech
Graymare
Ark
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

MARCH 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Oh my gosh, Graymare! That is a story they will never live down. I do pray that they will be fine in a few months.

Ark, I'm really glad to hear that you won't have to have surgery and that you'll be okay too.
Your neighbor will probably be really really sore, but she'll be alright.

I needed some bread flour so I drove up to Shipshewana to get some at the bulk food store. The price is sooo much cheaper, it's worth the trip. And, it's better flour. Sometimes, I admire the way the Amish live, but today is one day I sure don't want to be one. The high today has been 18°. They were out in their buggies, doing what has to be done. The buggies are enclosed, but you can't tell me they are actually warm. I saw one horse, hitched to a buggy and tied up that looked cold. His back was hunched up and his tail was firmly pulled in between his legs. I hope he didn't have to stay there very long.
When you check out at E&S, they have boys to carry out the grocery bags on a cart and load them in the cars. The kid who did mine was about 12 years old, and one of the most cheerful kids I've seen in a while. He was more than willing to go above and beyond to help out.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 am

GRAYMARE:
 Wow.  Poor Mr. & Mrs. Blah-blah.  I am so sorry for them.   I guess misery does love company in their case.  

BEECH:
 Okay, so what are you up to?  Any trips to the hairdresser party?  How much snow?  How are you doing this winter?  Answers, BEECH!! We need to know these things!!   Laughing  

ELLEN:
 I hear of so many horses and dogs being used and discarded by the Amish.  I can't say I am overly impressed by their animal stewardship.  There is a small group of them about 30 miles from here.  
 But the trip to the store sounded like fun!   Very Happy

CB:
 Hopefully the weather will settle down for you.  Spring has to get here eventually, despite TRUDY's rodent weather predictor's mistakes.  How is your dog doing?

TRUDY:
 Looks like cold is on its way again.  We may have a few days of actual sunshine though.  Do you still have snow on the ground?  

It turns out that our doggy neighbor fell down her steps from her second floor to her first.  I have seen those steps, steep, long, and very treacherous.  I don't know how she only hurt her ribs, it should have killed her.  She doesn't remember actually falling, which makes me wonder if she has a concussion.   Her brother took her to the hospital because her VW is in the shop.  When it rains, it pours for everyone, I guess.

Last edited by Ark on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 am

ARK  That is wonderful news..no surgery.  Praising God.  But now your neighbor fell and broke her ribs, at least the mystery has been solved.

GRAYMARE:  Good grief what a terrible thing to happen to your friends.  Too many people are falling and breaking bones.

ELLEN:  Our Amish stores are a lot cheaper than the local stores also and well worth the drive.  In fact we are heading to the Amish store to check out their boots, Rick had on a pair that he got there and now George thinks he would like to have a pair like that also.  I'm not impressed with the way they take care of their road horses either, the horses that work the fields seem to get better care. We live right in the middle of Amish/Mennonite country and see a lot of poor broken down horses out on the roads. Breaks my heart.Crying or Very sad

It's cold here this morning 13 with a wind chill of 2.  But starting Friday back to normal March temps.  YEAH...Never trust a rodent to predict the weather.   Mad
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Dull gray morning, overcast. 55 degrees. Done with weeds for now, will mop the kitchen floor.
How fun. I can put on Nancy Lee to liven things up. Move it with a mop.

Everyone have a good day. God bless.

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Dull gray morning, overcast. 55 degrees. Done with weeds for now, will mop the kitchen floor.
How fun. I can put on Nancy Lee to liven things up. Move it with a mop.

Everyone have a good day. God bless.

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 12:54 pm

oops..................... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 10:16 am

It is beginning to look like winter is losing its icy grip a little bit. Starting today, the daytime highs will be in the 40s. That isn't exactly warm, but better than 20s. We still have at least a foot of ice on the lake, but it will start to thin out soon. It's been cold the last few nights and I can hear the ice "talking", as it groans and pops and makes new ice.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 7:26 am

AUGGHHHHH rain, snow and sleet this morning after a wonderful sunny day yesterday but the week is looking up in the 40's & 50's.

Had a phone call from my friend who bought a smart phone...yikes..she has never operated a computer and was trying to use a toothpick or pencil to push the letters and numbers on the phone. Rolling Eyes The letters are too small for her fingers. No wonder her phone won't work. Grandson Jess showed up at my house out of the blue yesterday. What a blessing that was. I took him, the computer whiz kid to her house to try to explain the phone to her. Taking bets that she will return it and go back to the flip phone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Trudy, I know of several older people who have a hard time figuring out the smart phones.  One of them is fully capable, but is stubborn and WON'T learn it.  

Yesterday I drove to my cousin's where we were joined by her neighbor to go out for supper, and then to a stage show of "In the Mood".  It was big band music from the 30s and 40s.  There were 10 band members and 5 singers/dancers.  I really think the show was designed to show me how old I really am since I knew ALL the songs.
From where we were sitting I had a good view of the backs of the heads of a lot of the audience. The heads were either bald or white/gray. Very Happy  
Now.  I have a question for all of you.  The show was essentially over, but they sang one more song.  Cousin and her neighbor were ready to head for the door while the last song was still being presented.  The band and the singers were all performing.  I wouldn't leave because I thought I was rude and disrespectful to the performers to leave before they were finished.  We were sitting in a place that would have been very noticeable to them.  What do you think?
We did stay through that song, but left immediately after.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I would've thought it rude, also. So, thought you did the right thing! LOL
Just my humble opinion.................
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Graymare, I was watching the lead up to the Phoenix NASCAR race.  They were showing a guy riding a nice dark bay Arab up the side of the rocky hill above the track.  The guy was probably watching himself on his phone.  A bit later, they showed him sitting on the horse watching the beginning of the race.

Last edited by Ellen E on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 9:34 pm

ELLEN:
I agree with you, I would have stayed, too. Unless it was rap. Then I would have left after the first song ROFL . That stuff gives me headaches. I am old. Rolling Eyes

TRUDY:
I miss my flip phone. I like my smart phone well enough, but I have to worry about losing or destroying it all the time. (I did drown the first one.) My flip phone cost $12. It was indestructible, of course.

GRAYMARE:
It was 70 degrees with sunshine today! Everyone I know was probably out riding their horse...sigh...I wasn't. I did get out for lunch today, though! Who knew going to Hardees could be so wonderful after almost 2 weeks of gimpy-hood. I can see my horses from the house, but am having terrible horse withdrawal symptoms from not being up close to one. One thing I have noticed, though: I am not coughing or sneezing every morning. I have been blaming that on the woodstove, I suspect it is hay dust or barn dust or horse dust or some kind of dust other than house dust. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 pm

wavy wavy

Happy Birthday, CB!!!

:dance: :dance:
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Happy Birthday, CB, wherever you are! bounce
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 pm

I sure wish you Happy Birthday, CB...............hope you're having a great time!wavy

Raining........................ What a Face
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 am

CB is probably out partying.... Very Happy

Donnie hauled me down to see the horses this afternoon. It was so nice to see them, even if they were skeptical of the weirdo with extra silver legs hobbling around. Donnie is doing a pretty good job at the barn. I tweaked his routine a bit to make things safer and faster, but all is well. I sat on a haybale and stuffed haynets for tomorrow for him while he cleaned up. I am sure he is looking forward to me being able bodied again...

Ivan had some big tangles in his mane, I got those out. All the horses need to be brushed, but I couldn't do that. Trinket is shedding like mad. I hope that means spring is on its way. We've had a couple of dry days in a row with warmer temps, it has been very nice. Rain returns on Thursday.

I celebrated National Nap Day today by having a nice nap. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 11:50 am

It's a very pretty early spring morning.  The sun is shining and the sky is clear blue.  The ice is having an ongoing conversation with the sun.  It's grumbling almost constantly.  The sun is saying it's time for the ice to go, and the ice is saying, 'give me a minute'.  
One of the eagles flew over.  So, the day is off to a good start.

Much later in the day:
I finished the fisherman's knit sweater today. The best part is that I think I have managed to save most of my sanity. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 am

I'd like to see your sweater, ELLEN! Do you know which family the pattern represents?

Donnie hauled me down to the barn today in the back of the lawn tractor's trailer. It was actually a pretty fun ride! ROFL If the neighbors were watching, they probably thought we were a bit nutty. Probably right. I stuffed haynets while Donnie took care of cleaning and hauling the manure out to the mountain. Ivan doesn't seem to mind my crutches now, he plowed right into the haybale I was working on. Donnie has enough filled haynets for tomorrow.

I go to the first PT appointment Wednesday afternoon. Those are never fun. tongue

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 am

Ark, the design is from the Clark/Clarke clan.  I was amazed to find so many different patterns for so many different names.  This is just one of several websites with clan sweaters: https://www.aransweatermarket.com/clanaran-irish-fisherman-sweaters
I guess if I fall overboard, they'll know which clan I came from.  ROFL
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 am

ELLEN's Sweater:

MARCH 2019 - Page 2 20190311

ELLEN:
You did a really good job on this sweater!  I never tried cables, but love how they look!l Beautiful sweater ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you, Ark. I did enjoy working on this one. It is definitely a WARM sweater, which will be good for the really cold winter days.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 6:50 pm

The sweater certainly is lovely..............it looks like you will have time to wear it Ellen. It looks cold and stormy
in your area on the map................

It is very windy here today and of course, shoer was here.................horses were fine, I was shivering at 50 degrees..............

ARK, hope your PT went well..........

Everyone have a fine afternoon.................
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 11:26 pm

We are in corpus Christi as of today.....going to do the beach thing and eat seafood. I thought the rv park in San Antonio was cramped but mannnn...this one is really claustrophobically tight. I'll bet the neighbors can hear ya wiping your butt!
Thankful it's a drive thru. We will leave Saturday to go back to the Piney forest for rest of this month.
Thanks for birthday wishes!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 pm

It is an unbelievable 65° this afternoon. The lake ice is melting, and will probably be gone in the next day or two. Once it starts to go, it usually goes fairly fast.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 7:16 pm

I thought it was rainy there................glad for you it's not. The storm in the midwest must have missed you. Or,
it maybe hasn't arrived

The shoulders couple is doing better........I still can't believe the way the accident happened. It's the blah blah
joke of the month. We all know there's nothing truly funny about it but we can't help ourselves.........it
includes Mrs Shoulder. She laughs, too.

Everyone have a good day.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm

Good to hear from you, CB.

GRAYMARE:
My PT went well. My therapist, Chris, was very good. I go again tomorrow and twice a week for a few weeks. Donnie has to drive me since I can't drive yet. He was handy when I had to put on a pair of shorts and couldn't get my pants off. Laughing Donnie helped me with that.

I have been riding in the back of the lawn tractor trailer to the barn in the evenings. I can load up haynets and mix up horsey feed, reducing the amount of time Donnie has to work. He says it helps. The weather has been pretty nice, no rain since last weekend! When it gets muddy, I won't be able to ride in the trailer.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MARCH 2019   MARCH 2019 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

MARCH 2019
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next