Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MAY 2019

Go down 
+2
Ellen E
Ark
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm glad to hear that TL is improving and will be home soon.

Pirkko came home today. I'm going down to stay with her for a few hours while her husband goes for a podiatrist appointment tomorrow. She feels like she made a prison break.

After a cloudy start, it turned into a really nice day. Today was mow-the-yard day. Then, the fun part of the day was this evening. A preschool graduation is always cute. Based on what I have seen from Miss Lilah, they do a good job of teaching some early basics.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Pirrko did make a prison break, ELLEN. I felt the same way................so will T.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptySat May 25, 2019 12:01 pm

We have three grads. in the hood today.........Boy, those kids were just in first grade and now on to
college. Where does the time go? Anyhow, they're ll on the right track and have jobs......they
all have great parents Anyhow, I can only attend one party later this afternoon.

God bless. Prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptySat May 25, 2019 2:59 pm

I've heard that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer to the end you get, the faster it goes.
It doesn't seem like more than a year ago that Little Miss Scarlett was a baby, and now she's 7 1/2, finishing first grade.

The jet ski is in the water and ready to go. Travis put a primer kit on it to make it easier to start. I probably won't go out on it until Monday afternoon after all the weekenders have gone home. Before they leave the speed lake is just CRAZY with boats and jet skis. It's more fun to have the lake to myself. Smile
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptySun May 26, 2019 7:06 am

Busy week here in PA and moving into next week another non stop fun filled week of dashing about and thennnnnnnn the Military Order of the Purple Heart State Convention starting June 1st. 5 days of non stop dealing with a group of combat wounded Viet Nam Vets with PTSD.  Praying for strength and patience on my end.

And the contractors are coming to start working on the garage roof at the same time.  If you don't hear from me, I may be in the mental ward after the first week of June. ROFL

Took Dee up to the big city (hahaha) of Williamsport to pick up her van.  She is back on the road again.  She couldn't remember where the garage was located or how to get there.  YIKES  good thing I used to up up there and knew how to get around.  She wanted to go on Monday when President Trump was visiting PA.  OH NO we were not going to fight that insane crowd, it was pandemonium up there for 4 days.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptySun May 26, 2019 1:19 pm

I wish everybody a good Memorial Day! We have so much to be grateful for.

Yesterday turned out to be a really nice day, after a morning rain. I rained again in the night, but has stayed cloudy and overcast, with a good probability of rain again. Not nearly as many boats out today.

I'm going to spend the day watching cars go fast and turn left. The Indy 500, followed by the NASCAR 600. A few drivers have done both races. I can't imagine driving 1100 miles, with a 600 miles plane trip in between in one day.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptySun May 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Boy, ELLEN, me either. That's a LOT of driving.

Everyone have a safe day! TRUDY, have a good time at the Purple Heart event. We sure appreciate George'sservice
along with all military.........We are very lucky to have/had them.

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 8:24 am

Well today marks #47 for Carol and I.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 9:52 am

Big congratulations RICK & CAROL........HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 9:54 am

Happy Memorial Day to all and safety to all...............
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 10:58 am

Congratulations, Rick! cheers

We seem to be stuck in a rain cycle. It has rained almost everyday for weeks. The lake level is high, but not at flood stage - yet. Saturday afternoon was very nice and there were lots of boats and pontoons out playing. Yesterday was dark and gloomy most of the day, so not as much playing going on. Today, will be a repeat of yesterday. Later this afternoon, when the weekenders have gone home, I'll give the jet ski some exercise.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Happy Memorial Day!

I am glad to hear Pirrko is out and TL is almost out of their respective confinements. Having spent the past 3 months on a short leash, I can appreciate their wanting their own routines.

We have been in a hot cycle for weather. Donnie has our upper field mowed and has fluffed it up three times already. It rained a bit last night, so extra 'fluffing' is called for. He doesn't think we will get as much hay off this field as the lower one. Barring more rain, it should be ready to bale either late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

My knee was doing great, but I may have twisted it or got a little over confident or something. I am back using the cane and being more careful. My PT is over, I will have to be more careful.

I gave Areion a good bath a couple of days ago. She really enjoys a cool bath on a hot day. She got scrubbed within an inch of her life. She looked good for about 12 hours, then rolled in something icky... Rolling Eyes Trinket is the next on the list for a bath. Ivan hates getting wet, so watches all this with big round eyes. affraid
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyTue May 28, 2019 9:30 am

Rain, rain, and more rain. We had a toad strangler last evening for about an hour. The jet ski is on the lift, raised as high as it will go. After the rain, I went down and tied it to the lift so it won't go walk-about as the water level comes up more. I'm hoping I won't need to tie the dock to the posts so it doesn't leave either.

Ark, it seems that dogs and horses can't wait to roll in something as soon as they get a bath.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyWed May 29, 2019 11:55 pm

I'll bet TL is really looking forward to tomorrow when he gets to go home. Smile

I stayed with Pirkko for a while yesterday. She is making slow progress. Today they were going to go shop for a lift chair for her. She was looking forward to that.

The water level is still really high. Some docks are about to float again. The turtles love it because they can climb up on some piers to warm up in the sun. My neighbors' pier is just right for them, and there were up to 6 or 7 turtles on it. Two or three of those turtles are the size of a turkey platter. BIG.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2019 12:13 am

WOW............the tornadoes are going wild...........prayers for those affected.

Everyone have a good evening.................
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2019 1:20 am

ELLEN:
I hope those tornadoes weren't close to you.
Those turtles live in the lake? Wow! affraid Anyone ever miss a toe? Laughing
I bet Pirkko is very happy to be home. Did she get her chair?

GRAYMARE:
I am glad TL gets to come home tomorrow! wavy

RICK:
I forgot to wish you and Carol a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! :dance: Hope you had a good one!

We put up 90 bales of hay today. 10 seconds after getting the last trailer load under the shed, we had a BIG thunderstorm. The hay is dry. wavy The horses were dry because I dashed down to let them into the barn. I was soaked to the bone.... The hay looks great, though. We were so lucky to get it in on time. They said we would be dry all week...guess they didn't get that right. We actually needed a bit of rain, but the timing could have been better.

The hay is done for at least 2 months now. That's a relief! First cutting totaled 212 bales. sunny

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyThu May 30, 2019 7:24 am

Storms storms and more storms.  That's life in PA this week.  What a horrific week.  I had to drug Ace yesterday, didn't think he could take another day of stress from the horrible storms that have been going thru here every day and I needed not to have to sleep in the living room with a shaking panting dog.  Since the tornado went thru here last month he has been a basket case.  Poor doggie.  We both got some rest last night.  More storms coming later today.

Monday we did have a nice day and we went to the cemetery for Zach's memorial service, so sad to hear Karen talk about her son, I cry every time, she is the strongest mom I know. 

Then to the cook out at Dee's house.  Too much food. I made Blackberry cobbler and got to tell my story about the berry bushes and the step ladder.  People in this part of PA do not eat blackberries for some reason.

RICK:  Congrats on your anniversary.

ARK:  That was great you managed to get the hay in right before the rain storm.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyFri May 31, 2019 12:13 am

We had a tornado outside mt home on monday. Crazeeee weather all over. We dont often have tornados

Hope everyone stays safe!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyFri May 31, 2019 11:51 am

Graymare, I'll bet TL woke up a happy person this morning, at home.

The tornadoes didn't hit close to me, but we did have some strong straight line winds. Some trees came down. The ground has been so wet, the roots just pulled out of the ground.
It's official. We have now gone for 24 hours without rain. Docks are floating again. There won't be any high speed boating this weekend.

Trudy, have you seen the "Thunder shirts" for dogs? They are supposed to help them feel safer during storms or fireworks. I know one person who used it for her dog and it was successful.

Ark, how many bales do you need to get through the winter? Looks like you have a good start on it.
The lakes have LOTS of turtles, but they aren't a danger to any toes. They get away when they see a person. IF a snapping turtle happens to be caught, one had better watch their fingers because those things will bite as a self-defense.
We have at least three varieties of turtles here, probably more. Pond sliders, snapping turtles, and 'painted' turtles. This is about the time of year that we see them in the road fairly often. They crawl up to higher ground that used to be sand dunes to lay their eggs. Most of us will stop and move them to whatever side of the road they were pointed towards so they don't get run over.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptyFri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm

ELLEN:
I have heard of those thunder shirts for dogs. Some dogs seem to respond well to them. My dog, Shadow, is somewhat afraid of thunder, but just glues himself to my side for the duration. I am his blankie... Laughing We were very lucky when we got Shadow, he has been such a good dog.

The saying goes around here that if a snapping turtle bites you, he won't let go until it thunders. I don't have any intention of trying that out. They can go wherever they want! We tried to encourage a HUGE one off a country road one time. It had legs like an elephant. It turned its head around to look at us and we decided that boy was on his own. (No thunder in the forecast that day...)

We need about 550-600 bales of hay to get thru a year these days. Less from when Kazi and Zippy were with us. I feed a bale a day year round, then another bale in the winter when they can't go out to the pasture. So I don't have quite half what I need so far this year.

TRUDY:
Isn't it funny what folks will or won't eat in a region? Blackberries are probably my favorite berry. We have a friend with a very nice Concord grapevine that puts out lots of grapes every year, right next to their kitchen door. We were chowing down on some one time and discovered that her family didn't eat the skins of the grape, but did eat the seeds, while we didn't eat the seeds, but did eat the skins. Something for everyone, I guess. My favorite grape is the muscadine (spelled wrong, not doubt). It has very thick skin that I find delicious!

GRAYMARE:
How is TL doing? Being home is the best therapy.

CB:
Are you living in your house now? Settling down for awhile? How's Harry doing?

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2019   MAY 2019 - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 01, 2019 12:23 am

New calendar time!!

Go to https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t93-june-2019#11776

Or to Basket then click on "June 2019" Very Happy
Back to top Go down