Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

JUNE 2019

Go down 
+3
Graymare
Manygatess
Ark
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 12:50 pm

CB, did your daughter get the starving horses ? I couldn't tackle that at my age..........

The Belmont is tomorrow but there is no excitement after the Derby debacle.

Everyone have a good day!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Idaho horse rescue took them all due to pending charges against owners. As long as they were being cared for..it was ok for me.
We went to Oatman to see the wild burros...they are really neat. Played with a baby burro. Fun.
On our way vack to idaho.

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Cbsmit10  JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Harrys10
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 am

Hello everyone.  Thanks for asking about the convention.  It is finally over and things are getting back to normal around here.  The guys did good this year, only a couple PTSD attacks, the same guys that usually start trouble but it was handle quickly and they left.  We survived another year without any causalities.

Still working on getting all the flags, bases and all the stuff back upstairs and into storage.  It's a whole lot of stuff that has to be carted around.  A truck and 2 SUV's loaded with military items.

This year son Kevin came up and helped his dad with the computer stuff, it's a little over the heads of the old guys but Kev is a computer whiz kid.

The contractors showed up on Wed. and are busy working on the garage roof & the thousand other things George wants them to fix.  I've been feeding them so they don't have to leave here for a lunch break,  Now our neighbors are going to use them to work on their houses.  Guess they think if they are good enough to work for George, they must be OK contractors.  We will keep them working for months around here.

Today is break day for everyone.  Just going to sit around and do nothing.  Have a great weekend.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 5:38 pm

I want Tacitus to win this afternoon because he is so pretty............LOL. I haven't even seen
Bobby Baffert on the grounds.............Interesting.......

Just so it's a safe race..........even War of Will's owner said that. I think War of Will will win.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 5:46 pm

I haven't really chosen my favorite yet. But, the favorites in the betting odds are usually either winners or close to it.
In the 8th race, Hog Creek Hustle won at 18 to 1. He was bred by my friends in Lexington. Smile

I just now saw that Baffert is in California attending his son's 8th grade graduation.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Well, there you have it............Sir Winston..............

Boy, Belmont track is beautiful.............

A good day seemed to be had by all.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Good race! Everyone safe. I never heard of Sir Winston before today.
I was a little afraid there would be another inquiry. But, if that small move was enough to make War of Will back off, he's not very courageous.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2019 12:28 am

Another Happy Rainy Day everyone! It has poured and then some. Between raindrops, we got the barn cleaned and the horses fed, slogging thru the mud all the way. Their grazing muzzles are soaked (the padding on them, that is) and trying to rub the horses' faces raw, so they got to eat hay all day.

We had two accidents about 100 feet up the road from our house in 16 hours. The roads are wet and the our road is apparently banked so that slick tires will slide when the car comes around the curve. No one was hurt, thankfully. Both drivers were teenage boys, both boys apologized for wrecking on our property. The first kid turned his car upside down, landing on our upper pasture fence. The second one flipped his car neatly sideways, but didn't hit the fence or any trees. Both boys were lucky. The kid who squashed our fence came by today with his cousin and repaired the fence nicely. We had all the materials, but it did take them about 3 hours to fix it. We were very impressed that he took such instant responsibility for the fence. Someone raised that boy right, Donnie liked him and his cousin and they may be hired to work on some other fences we need repaired. They seemed interested. It's a strange way to find workers. Very Happy There have been so many wrecks in that stretch of the road and then on the other side of our property near the one-lane bridge. Why the powers-that-be don't put warning signs up and lower the speed limit is beyond me.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Oh boy, ARK, what a day!!! Hey, you made some new friends. Hope they work on other repairs
you have.

Hope it's sunny today. Here it's very sunny, breezy, and will be 105. It was a pleasant
morning but I'm inside now. Going to Wally w my daughter.

Everyone have a super day............. ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2019 3:01 pm

CB:
I inserted your donkey photos into your last post. Very nice pix!! I am kind of sorry I don't have another older male donkey for Cactus Jack to hang out with. Trinket is his roommate, but she just doesn't play with Cactus the way Zippy used to. She rules the roost and doesn't believe much in donkey antics. If I could find a small, male donkey about 20 years old or more, I would probably get him....although Donnie would not be thrilled about it. Cactus will be 22 this year in July and is still fairly rambunctious.

GRAYMARE:
Still raining here. It's almost 70 degrees, but feels chillier because of the breeze and dampness. Our yard's grass is getting high, but it won't be drying up for awhile to mow it. Supposedly Tuesday will be dry and partly sunny. We shall see. The vet is coming to float the big horses' teeth on Tuesday if it doesn't rain. Trinket and Cactus got done last year and don't seem to need it this year. Then we will be done with spring horsey vet stuff.

ELLEN:
I didn't see the race, but am glad it ended without problems. Sheesh. That industry is getting a black eye lately.
I just found out that my favorite fabric store that closed has reopened in an easier to get to place! They were in an old building with lots of character away from the commercial area. Now they will be in a big commercial center with more parking than they will need. I am glad they reopened.

TRUDY:
Are you still getting rain? We are drowning here.
|
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 7:21 am

ARK:  Nope no rain here for 4 whole days.  WOOHOO but it is supposed to rain today and again on Weds.  We can't seem to get outta this holding pattern for rain this year.

CB:  Great photos of you, Harry and the donkeys.  How terrible about the starving horses.  People need to suffer the same fate they inflict on the poor animals.

Someone threw a tiny black kitten out here last week.  I could hear the kitten crying down in the wetlands but couldn't get to the kitten.  Somehow the kitten made it's way to the house on Saturday.  I fed he/she on Saturday night and twice yesterday.  He/she is living under the ramp (I think).  No sound from he/she this morning.  Poor little baby.  I bet he/she is only 6 weeks maybe,  He/she gobbled up the canned cat food and drank a saucer of water last night.  I did manage a tiny pet last night.  No sign of the kitten yet this morning.  Ace is keeping his ears open for kitten sounds.  He pointed the kitten out both days.  He is such a crazy dog and loves cats.

Off to the dentist this morning for a teeth cleaning, then to the hospital to visit a freind who may be having her leg amputated in the very near future.  So sad for her.  She has been thru so much.  Triple bi-pass, shunts in her leg and now the shunts have stopped working.  Say a prayer for her please. Diana Wood. 
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 10:51 am

Prayers going up from here for Diana, TRUDY. Congrats on your new kitten.........Ace will be very happy.

You're right ARK, racing has lost a lot of fans.......just a further sign of the times, I guess. Another
horse died or was put down at Santa Anita. I don't know the details as I heard it from
one of the blah blahs. It was nice to see s nice safe race on Saturday though. There was
no sheen or hype though, so it lacked the big excitement that we're used to. Belmont park and track is really
beautiful to see..................I. liked that. It seems huge.

Everyone have a great day!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 10:57 am

Correction. Two more horses died this past week end at Santa Anita................. Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 am

I captured the little kitten.  He is so sweet and loving.  I found a home right away yesterday.  In fact I found 2 people who wanted the kitten.  My friend Sharon, her daughter in law and little grand daughter came and picked him up last night.  They loved him and he loved them right back, hanging on to them as they were loving on him..  I am so happy.  The barn life was not good enough for such a sweet kitty cat, now he has 2 little girls who will love him and life inside the house. Not sure if the kitten is a he or she, so young and furry, but I can't call a sweet kitten it.

George & I decided no more house cats after Sassy died and once Ace passes on no more house dogs.  We are getting older and what would happen to them if we would pass before them.  I know that is depressing thinking but I have seen too many of that type of experience happen lately.  Not fair to the animals.

It rained all day yesterday.  I had my teeth cleaned, the dentist was happy to see the issue with my gum is looking better, so am I  It's been a long road with that stuff.  Dee & I went to lunch and then to visit our friend in the hospital only to find she had been released right before we arrived.  Oh well, I'll stop at her house today after Bible study. I talked with her last night and she said she is doing fine.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Awwwww. That's cute TRUDY that you found a home for your kitty. We know what you mean
about more animals, no more for us either. Of course, they may still outlive us
as Rex is only 7, horses are 11 & 5...............

We sold our camping trailer......not the trailer in the mtns...........so that's a good thing..........

T is finally feeling better......not back to normal yet, but much better..........

It's hot here as it's supposed to be 110. There are wild fires burning in AZ and in one there was a drone flying.
that prevents the big fire retardant planes from flying to drop on the fire. There is a big search for the owner of the drone..........

No other news.

Everyone have a great afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 11:11 pm

The last two days have been wonderful weather days.
Here in the neighborhood we have a variety of talents. I wanted to renew the gravel on a parking space beside my garage. One of the guys has a skidsteer that he drove over here and leveled the space and respreads the gravel. After they repaved the road last fall (thank goodness) it filled the curb so that water running along the street took a detour into my driveway. The same thing was happening to the neighbor next down the hill. The guy used the dirt and gravel and made a sort of shoulder to shuttle the water away. He wouldn't let me pay him anything. I'll make him some cookies or something. I really appreciate what he did.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 am

We finally got a pretty day today! It was sunny and almost 70 degrees, but a bit windy. Kind of invigorating. I cleaned the barn, mowed the yard, and rode Ivan while Donnie picked up the grass clippings. With so much rain lately, the grass was getting out of hand.

My knee didn't hurt when I rode Ivan, even while trotting. I did discover how out of shape I am in, though. I didn't trot very long. Ivan was good... Very Happy

TRUDY:
It's great you could help the kitten! ClappingHands
I have a friend who adopts older Lab dogs from rescues and gives them homes for the rest of their lives. She and her husband keep one or two dogs at a time. Her husband is 81 years old and takes the dog to the nursing homes to visit with residents. Everyone wins.
With me it would be cats. I gotta have a cat!

GRAYMARE:
When Areion, my youngest horse, is 30 years old, I will be 85. I hope I will still be taking care of her. I don't want her going anywhere else. I don't plan on any more horses, so I hope we both live to old age.

It's too hot at your place! affraid

ELLEN:
Yep, you have the best neighbors! ClappingHands

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 am

I think elderly retired neighbors are the best ever. They're always looking for something to
do that really helps........and, if they have machinery, that's even better. I think good people are just that, good people. We are of a different generation. Everyone likes to feel useful and we all appreciate that.

It's going to be hot today at 110. It is windy here in AZ which is very dangerous for fires.
Horses are fed and out on grass so that makes me feel good. Monsoons will start soon. We know "the drill"
here in AZ. If people pay attention, it will be fine, if not we'll see some drivers ignoring the stupid
driver laws.

Everyone choose to have a happy day.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Wow, GRAYMARE!
 110 degrees sounds fatal to me.  affraid   My family visited AZ back in 1970, we were so unprepared.  We went camping and froze at night and fried during the day.   My mother and I got sun poisoning.  We measured 110 degrees in the shade then, too.   We saw a lot of great things on that trip,  but now would over prepare for a trip like that again.  We went cross country in a station wagon with no AC, hauling a pop-up camper.  (think Griswolds...).  There were four adults and four kids in that station wagon.

Today was horsey dentist day!  Ivan, Areion and Daisy got their teeth floated by the vet at Virginia Tech who is also our horsey podiatrist.   He had a herd of three vet students to help him.  He is a very good teacher,  patient and clear with his instructions.  He had me elbow deep into Areion's mouth, feeling sharp teeth. affraid   That was weird.

Anyway, all three had pretty good teeth and it didn't take long to get rid of what small points they had.  
Photo of Areion, in flymask, watching Ivan getting his teeth floated.  She had already been done and was very interested in the procedure. Very Happy

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Img_2510
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 am

We found arizona very hot at 106...liaded our unit at 6 in the mirning and done by 930....but it was already 90. HitIled it northward to golden valley az and loaded in the morning also. Went back to rv park where we all crashed under the ac. Next mirning headed out detoured to the rustic mining town of Oatman where the blm burros roam freely. Ty Ark for posting pics. That baby burro would have fit in the camper! Then we headed north again. Stopped in ely nevada and watched it snow all the way around us on the mts and it got down to 38 that night. Luckily we had blankies and jackets. Headed on to idaho. Took us a week exactly. About 2600 miles and loaded two storage units of stuff. Then we got to mt. Home had to unload it all into a bigger unit until we get into our house on july 1st. Saturday night found us eating a sandwich and in bed by 7!
We had to go now cuz hubby has dental work and appointments coming up. I had my mri yesterday on my back and leg...find out results on tuesday.
We had a bad lightning thunder and 50 mph wind with hail storm tonight. Its to go on most of the night. Ugh.
Ellen you have nice neighbors. Trudy good deal on the lucky kitty. You might think of saving older dogs or they are put down....its an idea. Ark...dont overdo things but am glad you are riding! GM glad hubby is doing better.
Well im going to try to sleep thru this storm...wish me luck.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 6:58 am

ARK:  I think that is wonderful about the 81 year olds taking on and fostering older dogs.  I just can't bring myself to have to bury another pet.  It just rips my heart out, I get so attached, it's like losing a child.  Plus worrying if I now will outlive them or not, something I never thought about before, until I started watching the older people in my church passing away and family members scrambling to find homes for the left behind pets.  I give great accolades to the people who can do that wonderful thing for the animals.

I saw Josiah at church last night, he is the father of the little girls who adopted the kitten, who is now known as Smokey.  He is a boy, they think.  LOL  Josiah said he wanted a therapy dog and got a therapy kitten instead.  LOL He is amazed that if he meows, Smokey comes running to him.  Smart kitty.  
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 10:52 am

Oh ARK, that trip must have been something............Your parents must have been troupers for sure.
You should write it up as a comedy skit.........4 kids, camping supplies and 2 adults and fighting over the seat with
a window. And, of course, the famous "how many more miles and he or she is on my side". Ha, no seat belts
or TV.................

CB, glad you're done.........I hope your MRI is OK...........

TRUDY, it's all a dilemma at our ages. that's for sure.

It's semi cloudy here today due to the fire about 35 miles to the east. No rain in sight. It's already warm & breezy at 84. Horses are out & happy. It's the time for west nile so horses are stalled at night with fans. Kitten is fed. Rex is patiently awaiting his meal at noon. I'm going to ride my stationary bike for awhile...........

Later gators...........Let's all have a great day........
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am

Oh, ELLEN.........hope it's good weather by now to buzz around on your jet ski............
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 pm

ptptptptptptpt - that's raspberries on the weather today. It's been raining since sometime in the night, and the temperature is only 53°.
I'm going to stay with Little Nora this afternoon while Mommy takes the other two to a planetarium. It's a good day to do something like that. I told her to make sure they weren't tired because they might fall asleep. We used to take the kids to a planetarium when I was teaching. The chairs were very comfortable, the room was dark, and there was usually nice music in the background. Some of the kids would ALWAYS fall asleep.

CB, I guess the wind can rock you to sleep in the camper.

Ark, I agree with Graymare that you should write a funny story about that trip. The world needs more funny stories.

There aren't many pets in my neighborhood now, for the same reasons. They don't want to outlive the animals. Currently, there is one couple who has an older basset hound and a pig. The pig thinks she's a dog.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JUNE 2019   JUNE 2019 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 9:31 am

Trudy's kitten:

JUNE 2019 - Page 2 20190610

Such a cute kitten!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare