Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2022

Go down 
+3
Ellen E
Graymare
Ark
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

November 2022 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 8:38 pm

That picture shows a group of gals who have been friends for a long long time and truly enjoy each other. Very Happy

Even though I make bread all the time, I don't make butter rolls very often.  Drat.  I had to make three batches to get one to turn out right.  The first two are edible for me, but only the third one will travel.  Now, for the mini-brownies.  Tomorrow morning I'll make the cream pies.  They are the easiest of all.
I hope all of you have a wonderful day eating too much and enjoying family.

The brownies are done, baked in the little gem pans. It's a pain in the patoot to put silicone liners in each little cup so they don't stick, and then pour in the mix. Then, when they are baked getting them out of the cups is another challenge. After two years of experimenting, I have finally come up with a method that works. The brownies are nice and crisp on the outside and chewy inside.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

Last edited by Ellen E on Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:24 pm

BEECH:
Thanks for the info on Medicare. We are in the midst of figuring out if we need to change something in ours. I need dental insurance, Donnie doesn't. He has all his teeth, never had an abscess and never gets cavities. I need a bridge or implant and have old fillings that are failing.... I hate going to the dentist. I go twice a year and still have problems.

TRUDY:
Looked like a fun party! Good photo of the ladies! We aren't going anywhere either. I made turkey already, just need to thaw out what we froze.

ELLEN:
The only breads I ever make is cornbread and spoonbread. Never anything like rolls. I bet yours taste great! Donnie used to make bread years ago, but hasn't in a very long time... like 30 years or so.

GRAYMARE:
Are you cooking up a storm tomorrow?

INDYAPP:
I am glad you didn't get the 7 feet of snow parts of NY got! We didn't get any, thankfully. This week has gotten warmer and I have ridden Ivan nearly every day in mid 50s and sunny skies!

I hope you all have a very pleasant Thanksgiving!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 1:38 pm

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL MY FRIENDS!

I have been away for quite a while but thought i would let you know that I'm still alive.

I fell and broke my left hip on the 24th of Oct. Had surgery a few days later in Kentville and then was transferred to Lunenburg Hosp on the 4th of Nov. for rehabilitation and physio. I got along just fine, wondered at first if I would ever be back to walking but here I am, with a roller walker, and a cane that I won't use till later on, except going up and down stairs. The facility was wonderful and they were really pleased with me and my progress. I was released yesterday and came to my sons house outside of Halifax for a while. It's nice to be out of the hospital setting but I will miss a lot of the staff and patients. I had a really good roommate too.

It's a beautiful day here, the sun is shining on the water and is just sparkling. Now have to go do my exercises and get on with my day.

Don't eat too much turkey! I think of poor Turkey (Glurk) every year.

I'll ba back soon.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 10:22 pm

Whew, a good day here.

ARK, I watched a lot of TV today, and let the turkey rest comfortably in the oven............LOL

I watched the Macy's Day Parade and then on to the National Dog show. Then the Dallas Cowboys football
game..............then news.

In between times we ate all day...........

Hey, DONNA, it's great to know you're doing well and finally out of rehab. Will be glad when you're home
and comfy.

I hope everyone had a pleasant and happy day. The older we get the more it means. We are all
very blessed............
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2022 9:20 pm

Donna, after having two hip replacements, I can well understand what you are going through. By 6 months, you will hardly know that anything happened.

I just got home a few minutes ago from seeing my cousins and spending two afternoons eating too much. As I drove there yesterday, my car started complaining that I had a tire with low pressure. I stopped three times to refill it, but got where I wanted to go. While I was there, two of the younger guys were able to find the problem which was a piece of a nail that resembled a hawk's talon, plug the hole and blow up the tire. It's really nice to have relatives who are able and willing to fix things. The return trip was completely uneventful.
After more than 50 years of making that two and a half hour trip 3 times a year (or more) that was the first time I ever had any kind of a problem. So, I consider myself really lucky.

Now, to get ready for Christmas....
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2022 9:36 pm

DONNA I winced when I read you had fallen and broken a hip. I'm glad that it has healed well and you are well on your way to recovery.

ELLEN I've been having a chocolate craving all day today and reading about your brownies did not help a bit. I'm living vicariously through all of your Thanksgiving dinners. Yummm

Today was absolutely beautiful. All of the snow we got last weekend is now gone. I spent the day getting the last of the trees off the fence. I can now restring the electric wire and the horses can go back out into the east field / woods. Hopefully I'll get that done yet this weekend.

Did anyone brave the Black Friday sales? I did not. I thought about going out and getting some new barn jeans and decided it wasn't worth the crowds. I'll hit up Goodwill one of these days. I have to take inventory of insulators before I try and string the electric fence. I may have to make a Tractor Supply run first.

It's only 7:30 but I'm pooped. I think it was all the fresh air today. I think it's time to hunker down in the recliner and maybe watch an old movie or something.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2022 11:01 pm

Indy, put this on your next grocery list: Betty Crocker Triple Chunk brownie mix. It is very quick and easy. 5 minutes to mix it up, 19 minutes to bake.
I've been pouring the batter into the little gem pans which makes a nice bit-sized brownie that is a little bit crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2022 11:54 pm

DONNA:
Oh, no! I am so sorry about your broken hip. hug Is Fergie staying with you now? Did you have a difficult time calling for help when you fell? Get well soon....

ELLEN:
Okay, now I am in the mood for brownies. We made a cherry pie for Thanksgiving and have enjoyed having that. We forgot to get ice cream for it, so ran over to Kroger's this evening. I expected a crowd on Black Friday, but there were very few people there. Nice!

INDYAPP:
Glad your weather has improved! It was great here on Thanksgiving, but today it was cloudy and we had some sprinkles. Never did rain, though. Ivan and I had a brief ride in the arena, number 91 for the year.

GRAYMARE:
We've been watching fun, old movies. Two of the Back to the Future movies last night and Beetle Juice today.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 4:23 pm

I do make sugar cream pie myself, but I use Marie Callender's pie crusts. Her pies are among the best too. Sooo much easier and more reliable than trying to make them myself.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm

Anyone take advantage of Cyber Monday?

I spent way too much time trying to take advantage of a phone service subscription that a division of Verizon offered through my employer. I hope I don't regret this. I've been on AT & T prepaid plan for many years and it's been OK. But have had trouble with the low quality phones the plan uses. I thought I would give this a try. Wish me luck. I should be getting my new phone sometime today.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 1:59 pm

Indy, I've been with Verizon for almost 35 years, even when it was still GTE.  I have always been happy with them.  I couldn't tell you when I last had a dropped call because it has literally been years and years.  I have good coverage everywhere I go.  
I hope you are as happy with them as I have been. Currently, I'm on a family plan with my cousins. For $36 a month, I have unlimited talk, text and data. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy 20FE 5G. It does all that I need a phone to do and a lot more.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 9:45 pm

I got my hair cut today and feel great.  It seems to grow faster when we're older or time just flies by.

I've had AT&T forever and have nn complaints about the service.

I'm watching a rerun of Andy Griffith.  All the women of Mayberry are gossiping and I remember when I
I was about 4-5 I would listen on the party line and get told "Sydnee Ann hang up".  LOL.   I knew all
the blabber mouths.  My mother had fits I think.........she never said anything.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Addendum: We had a variety of gossip outlets in our town: barber shop, garage, sandwich shop, hardware store,
butcher etc.............where did the good times go?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 10:59 pm

My hair seems to grow faster too. I have to get it cut at least every 4 or 5 weeks.

We had a party line too. There were about 8 or 9 on the line. Since the only phone was in the kitchen, I couldn't listen in without getting caught. It was sometimes a nuisance when I thought I NEEDED to call a friend and the line was busy FOREVER! LOL
Our first phone was a black one that sat on a wooden box with a crank on the side. The crank was turned in a coded way to determine who was being called. ie. long short long, long long short, two shorts and a long etc. Long distance was handled by an operator and was only used for the most important calls.
Gossip was handled at the women's church meetings. It wasn't uncommon for my mother to come home from those meetings mad or nearly in tears. LOL According to my dad, that was the way things were done when HIS mother was going to those meetings.
In this neighborhood, it seems that the men are bigger gossips than the women. It isn't uncommon to see two or three of them standing in the street trading information. (Very little traffic.)
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 am

GRAYMARE, you asked where the good times went when it came to gossiping, FaceBook is what popped into my head. Unfortunately FB gossip just isn't the same.

The telephone checked in at FEd Ex in Indianapolis at 7:15, so it's at least in the state.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2022 12:16 pm

No, Facebook is definitely not the same. I miss out on a lot of gossip because I don't do Facebook. I have an account that I never use. I joined years ago when it was new, then started seeing all the mess that goes with it and stopped using it.
I probably don't need to know all the gossip anyway.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2022 1:13 am

I agree that FaceBook caused the end of the forums we used to love.  It is comparatively easy to use, but isn't nearly as 'comfy' as the HorseNet forums we all started on.  I miss those days.  
I do use FaceBook,  I just block anyone whose opinions end up causing me aggravation.  So I exist in a world of horse people, friends and relatives, mostly, although I have blocked a few folks I wouldn't want to live next door to me.  I don't broadcast my religious or political opinions (much)  and have a live and let live philosophy, but can't tolerate too much of some folks' strongly held opinions that I disagree with.  So first I block them for 30 days, then if they come back as irritating as before,  they get dropped as friends.  I suspect others do the same for me, Laughing .  Fine with me.    The good news is,  I don't have to listen to a lot of propaganda that I don't want to hear.  FaceBook ads are not political on my page, so I am not getting the crazy stuff on it.  I do 'see' some older relatives I haven't seen since I was a kid and that's nice.  Mostly.  Rolling Eyes

Yikes.  December is here.  Except for Donnie I have figured out  most of the Christmas presents for relatives and close friends.  Amazon will be happy with me.
Our county was a top 10 Covid hotspot nationwide a couple of weeks ago,  so we are being careful going into places.  Donnie's aunt just caught Covid and had a small stroke because of it.  She is supposed to get out of the hospital tomorrow.  She caught it in Gatlinburg, TN doing Christmas shopping.  I don't know if she ever got booster shots or not, but I suspect not.  

Time to change the calendar!

Go to: https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t138-december-2022#14745
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2022   November 2022 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2022
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3