Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DECEMBER 2023

Go down 
+4
Ellen E
Beech
Graymare
Ark
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DotAllen

DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 09, 2023 4:00 pm

Apparently I've been out of the loop for a while. Graymare, what happened to you? Ark, I'm sorry about the Covid mess. I had been really lucky.......of course, being retired and living in the boonies and being vaccinated and boosted have minimized my risk.........and then last Christmas Andy went to his family's for dinner and I went to Mandy's. Andy's family Christmas turned out to be a Covidfest, and he came down with what he thought was a bad cold a few days later. I stayed far enough from him to have avoided a cold, but on New Year's Eve morning I woke up with a sore throat and a tight chest. By evening, I had figured out this wasn't just a cold, so took a Covid test. The test line was twice as dark as the control line, and I spent ten days feeding horses twice a day, usually in the rain, and resting the rest of the time. I have NEVER been so miserable in my life. Since I've had COPD (chronic bronchitis) for years, my lungs took an awful hit, and I have just this last month gotten to where I don't need an inhaler twice a day. I'm not sure I could survive another bout of this. Ellen, your new shower is gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 09, 2023 4:02 pm

DOT! Where have you been? Good to see you here! How many grandkids do you have now? How many horses?

I'm beginning to wonder about CVS.  My local one doesn't seem to be able to get enough help.  Lately, they haven't had the drive-thru open.  I like being able to just drive by and pick up my prescription, but noooo.  I have to go inside and wait in line to get it.  They also close for lunch for a while.  They SAY it's from 1:00 to 1:30, but I had to go three times before I was able to get my prescription.  
It won't take much more for me to switch to Meijer.  It's about 11 miles compared to 3 for CVS.  I guess I could have them deliver it, but that seems silly when I am perfectly able to go get it.

I thought about having a permanent seat built into my shower, but finally realized the shower wasn't going to be big enough for that.  The folding seat will work just fine, takes up no space and wasn't expensive.
Back to top Go down
DotAllen

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 09, 2023 4:24 pm

[quote="Ellen E"]DOT!  Where have you been?  Good to see you here!  How many grandkids do you have now?  How many horses?

Still just the one grand.......Emma is seven now, going on 35. Thirteen horses, all of them just ornamental. Tambien is the old man of the bunch, he turned 30 last May.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 12, 2023 12:49 pm

Who knew that making Christmas cookies would involve a trip to Shipshewana. You HAVE to HAVE sprinkles for cookies, don't you? E&S has just about every kind of sprinkle known to man, along with every color of sanding sugar and other decorations for cookies. I came home well supplied. Now. I just have to make the cookies. Drool
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 12, 2023 3:43 pm

DOTTIE:
 So good to see you!  I can't believe Emma is 7 already.  I bet she is fun at this age.  Does she like horses?  How is your gray kitty?  
 Covid wasn't a lot of fun. It was our first time getting it, too.   Your case sounded worse than ours.   Lucky for us, we didn't get sick at exactly the same time, there was a 4 or 5 day separation of the most sick time.  We were able to take care of the horses while the other was in bed.  I don't like to think how you had to do all the work by yourself and be so sick.   I am glad you are feeling better!  We goofed up by going to an indoor restaurant on a Saturday, even though we waited until 2:30 pm to go.  Everyone else apparently did the same, and a woman was coughing behind Donnie.  
 We both have residual headaches off and on, but are mostly okay now.  We are eating in the parking lot when we go to a restaurant again.... Rolling Eyes

DONNA:
 I have got to get some things wrapped and sent.  I am mostly doing Amazon shopping this year, but have a few things to send to my sister that I collected over the past year.  
 You are so organized!  Not me.  I need a keeper or something....

ELLEN:
  Still no tree here.  I may not put one up this year.  I am enjoying our yard inflatables,though.  We had to take them down for a day because of wind and rain,  but they go back up fast.  They're back!  
Yep,  sprinkles are good.  Drool

INDYAPP:
  I may actually get a ride in on Friday.  I have a new riding partner who does more than just Pandapas, where my regular partner only wants to go.   We are planning on going to the New River Trail state park.   I hope Ivan is in a good mood.  He hasn't worked much in a while.
 Wish you could go with us!!

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 13, 2023 7:50 am

Morning All,

I'm up very early this a.m. as I have to go to Kentville for an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon about my right knee. He is the same one that repaired my left hip. Two of my friends are coming with me and we will make a day of it. Kentville is about 2 1/2 hrs away, the weather will be good so it will be a good day. The wait time for joint replacements is about two years so I have one more to go, lol.

I have just about everything wrapped and sitting here waiting to get packed in the car next week. I'm going a day earlier than I planned to Hfx. It turns out that Allison and Andrew are not coming here at all over the holiday so I'm going to visit them for a couple of days before Christmas. I need to see them and Ava!!!! They live two hours away from Halifax and Andrew said he would come to pick me up and deliver me back Christmas Eve morning but Priscilla (Johns GF) said that she will take me as far as Truro and that will make Andrew's drive so much shorter. It works for me! Certainly didn't have that kindness wth Johns ex-wife!!!!!! I probably won't get to see Erin unless she comes to see me while I'm in Hfx before she heads home here. I will get to see all my family except Erin which is a plus that I wasn't expecting.

DOTTY, where have you been? I keep thinking about you when I check my emails from AMMI. Good to see your post here. Stay away from any of those Covid germs. I had it a year ago last Sept but wasn't sick, just felt like a light cold. It is all around me again though so I'm holding my breath.

I'll let you all know tomorrow what the surgeon has to say. I have to get my tail over my shoulder and get moving, friends will be arriving at eight and I need to be ready.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 13, 2023 11:58 am

Donna, I'm so sorry you have to wait so long for your knee surgery. That would sure make life difficult.
Enjoy your family for Christmas. Smile

Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2023 8:18 am

Morning All,

I saw the surgeon and signed all the permission papers for surgery. It will probably happen within the next six months since I have already waited a year. He can't do anything to shorten my right leg, to make it level with the left. We will see!

Had a great day with my two friends that went with me. Got to the Valley around ten and started shopping, got a lot of things that we can't get here in Yarmouth. I finished up with all the Christmas gifts I needed and then we had lunch at Coras. Home around 6:30, very long day but the weather is great and driving fine.

Now I have to finish getting everything wrapped up this a.m. and wrapping mess cleaned up. Have I mentioned that I hate wrapping, rofl!

Later gang.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2023 12:03 pm

I'm not a big fan of gift wrapping either, and use bags whenever I can.  I started wrapping yesterday, but still have several to get done today.  Gotta have all the wrapping done before Monday since my neighbor and I will be making cookies then.  We decided to make several different kinds to share with the other neighbors.  
I did get one batch made.  They are a sort of shortbread cookie, but they raised too much for the design to show.  They taste good.  Drool

Donna, I'm curious about why it takes so long to get surgery done. Two years seems like a very long time to have to wait.
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2023 4:47 pm

Ellen,

As you know or maybe you don't, our health care is free in Canada. We have a shortage of doctors/surgeons, nurses, etc. The wait is very long for elective surgeries, emergencies are done pronto. Hips and knees are upwards to two years since there is such a long list of people waiting. It's a terrible long time for sure but I'm on the good end of the wait now, lol. I had my shoulder repaired in 08/9 and it wasn't as long a wait, different times and procedure. When you see the number of people walking with canes from bad knees and hips you know that they are on a list somewhere. Not every hospital does these surgeries either, the closest to me is Kentville which is where I was yesterday. Halifax/Dartmouth has two hospitals there that will do these surgeries, the one in Dartmouth is now done by robot for hips.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2023 8:42 pm

Ellen,

As you know or maybe you don't, our health care is free in Canada. We have a shortage of doctors/surgeons, nurses, etc. The wait is very long for elective surgeries, emergencies are done pronto. Hips and knees are upwards to two years since there is such a long list of people waiting. It's a terrible long time for sure but I'm on the good end of the wait now, lol. I had my shoulder repaired in 08/9 and it wasn't as long a wait, different times and procedure. When you see the number of people walking with canes from bad knees and hips you know that they are on a list somewhere. Not every hospital does these surgeries either, the closest to me is Kentville which is where I was yesterday. Halifax/Dartmouth has two hospitals there that will do these surgeries, the one in Dartmouth is now done by robot for hips.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2023 10:07 pm

Donna, I guess the "free" part is good. The wait time isn't. I do hope you can get in soon.
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Ellen,

I don't expect a call before spring, and will be happy about that. It is much easier for me if it isn't winter to recover.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2023 11:45 pm

DONNA:
Free is nice! I guess everything has a trade off. I hope your surgery happens when you want it!

Donnie still hasn't arranged to get his knee replacement. I hope he gets it reasonably soon.

ELLEN:
Yum! Shortbread cookies! I love those from Scotland in the red plaid tins. Drool

My pony/donkey farrier came late this afternoon. She trimmed Cactus and Trinket, and then trimmed Ivan. We took Daisy and Areion to have their trims last Thursday, so all horses and donkey will start the New Year with pretty feet.

rear

And my ride tomorrow is cancelled.....sigh....my new rider friend is sick. It is sure going around. Our farrier was sick last week and I know two others who are just getting over something or other. I think Donnie and I are the only ones who checked for Covid, so I am not sure what these folks got.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 9:56 am

Today is cookie day.  My neighbor and I are going to make cookies to share with the rest of the neighborhood.  Smile

4 hours later: Two batches of fudge, one double batch of everything cookies (chocolate chip with additional sprinkles) and two batches of cornflake wreaths. All made and delivered to our neighbors. Of course, we made sure there was enough for us too. Drool
I just have to clean up the kitchen, which isn't too much of a mess. I love my dishwasher. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 19, 2023 8:09 am

Good Morning All,

It is early but I was awakened by the bedside light coming on at 5:30, we lost power last night around eight. I stalled doing other stuff before I finally gave up and went to bed, I don't sleep well if I go too early.

I have lots to do today, pedicure at 10 and then home to pack my stuff as leaving tomorrow for Halifax. Everything else is done so it's just pack for me and Fergie and be ready to leave in the a.m. Jack's Aunt Barb (96) is in Bridgewater hospital so I plan on stopping in to visit her for a little while. I will have to leave Fergie in the car and I'm sure she will set up a howl, lol.

I'm taking my computer with me as have to see the Geek squad at Apple on Thursday about updating my system. I won't touch it to upgrade when I get those notices, too scared that Ill screw something up. Its a new computer so should be easy fix.

Ellen, I didn't bake a darn thing this year. I'll only eat it and knew that I was not going to be home so will do without.

See you all when I get to the city.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 20, 2023 10:04 pm

Whew! I am finally completely ready for Christmas. Present are all wrapped. Gas in the car. Got a haircut. DONE!
Tomorrow evening the neighbors and I are going out for Christmas dinner at a nice place I've never been to. It will be a nice evening, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 20, 2023 10:48 pm

DONNA:
Have lots of fun on your trip!! Hopefully the geek squad will fix your computer. Is Fergie a good traveler?

ELLEN:
Congrats on being ready for Christmas! I am not....sigh.... I have all the gifts done, but never did put up a tree. Have a good dinner!

I had to go to the doctor this afternoon. Turns out I have a sinus infection. The doctor said it isn't uncommon after Covid. Enough already! I have never had a sinus infection before. Not too much fun. But I don't have Covid. Rolling Eyes

Donnie took care of the barn this evening. I had a wonderful nap.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 21, 2023 9:14 pm

Ohhhh, YUM! Prime rib, baked potato, and salad with my neighbors. Doesn't get any better than that.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 11:04 pm

I wish all my Horse Friends a very MERRY CHRISTMAS! santa

Rolls are done. Pecan bits are baking. All will be ready to travel tomorrow. It won't be a white Christmas, but a very wet one.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:47 am

Merry Christmas and Marey Christmas!! santa    rear

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!  

ELLEN:
 I am still thinking about your cookies..... Drool ...No snow here either, but rain tomorrow night.  Merry wet Christmas!

DONNA:
 Safe trip and have lots of fun with the family!  

GRAYMARE:
 How are you doing?  Feeling better, I hope?

INDYAPP:
 I bet you are spending Christmas with your brother.  You are a good sister!  Hope lots of happy things come your way this year, and for your brother, too.

TRUDY:
 We are staying home,  no interstate traveling for us.

DOT:
 What do you do on Christmas?  Does your granddaughter and daughter come by?  Hope so!  How's the gray kitty doing?

I got in ride #99 today on Areion.  That's 99 rides with the combined efforts of Areion and Ivan over the year.  One more ride to go to get the 100 in.   I should be able to sneak one in.    I spent more time scraping mud off of Areion today, and Ivan yesterday, than actually riding.   Both were caked and looked very un-photogenic.    I wanted to dress Areion up a bit for the holiday, so had to scrap off the mud.  I am sure by now she has rolled again in the dirt.  Rolling Eyes   White horses are determined to not be white horses.

Today:

DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 Areion27

After 5 months of no riding,  Areion wasn't exactly mellow this evening, but did okay.   I need to ride her more.  Thankfully the days are now getting longer!!
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:26 am

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! santa

I was awake at 6:15 and realized I didn't even get up to go to he bathroom! Fergie thought it was time to get up but when I told her to get back on her planet, back she went till I heard someone up to take the other two dogs out. I'm at Johns since yesterday afternoon, Allison and Andrew brought me to Truro to meet up with Priscilla (Johns GF) to take me the rest of the way home.

I did the same trip, exact reverse on Friday, to meet up with Allison and Andrew. It wasn't a long visit but a really nice one. SO much snow in Antigonish, they will have a really nice white Christmas. Andrews parents are there and I always love being with them too. Ava is growing fast and is such a sweet little girl. I miss the visits. Went to church yesterday afternoon and it was lovely, just carols and readings but it was just what I needed. Supper was creamed lobster on toast, peas and fries, a kind of traditional Christmas Eve dish.

Turkey for supper, it's pre stuffed and will be cooked from frozen. Going home tomorrow.

All have a wonderful Christmas Day with your family and/or neighbours.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 3:38 pm

Merry. Christmas everyone many blessings to all.

:dance: :dance: wavy

hug hug hug
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 9:27 am

Merry Christmas everyone. A day late....things were so busy yesterday I didn't even turn on my laptop. Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas Day.

It was 54 degrees here yesterday, not exactly the white Christmas that we were hoping for. But it was better for everyone who had to travel around. We didn't leave the house. Today is a relax and regroup day for me. Daughter Amy and grandson Rod came for dinner and son Stacy stopped in later in the evening. It was a nice quiet Christmas, just like we like it.

Have a great day after.
Love & prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 3:59 pm

Merry Christmas a day late everyone!

I did it. I ignored Christmas long enough it came and went without me participating Rolling Eyes

A lot has happened with my brother since I last posted keeping me very busy. He was discharged from the nursing home on November 30th. He was back in the hospital by the 15th of December with a UTI. He was unexpectedly discharged to an Acute Rehabilitation Hospital about 20 miles or so from Elkhart on Friday. We had been talking about him going to a rehab hospital upon discharge with no specific date in sight when all of a sudden Friday afternoon the hospital calls me and tells me he is being transported at 5:30. Wait. What? It was closer to 6:30 before the transport showed up and close to 9:00p.m. before he was settled in his room. The rehab hospital did serve a nice dinner for patients and family of prime rib that could be cut with the plastic knife. The mixed veggies while mushy from being boiled to death actually had good flavor, and Dan asked for a second helping of the roasted potatoes. The pecan pie filled in the cracks.

I got Dan a pair of Michigan University grippy slipper socks that he can wear instead of the generic yellow ones the hospital provides. He did give me a smile when he opened them. His son didn't even bother to come visit or bring the grandkids which hurt. But he's started to get more extensive occupational and physical therapy than he had been getting at home with the visiting therapists. We'll see how it goes.

I hope everyone has a Very Happy New Year
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Oh, and Tiberius had his cancer lumps froze off his anus. The scab fell off yesterday to reveal pretty pink smooth skin.

I had to text the picture to the vet. ClappingHands Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DECEMBER 2023   DECEMBER 2023 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

DECEMBER 2023
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next