Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2013

Go down 
+8
NancyLee
sunny 57
cb
Graymare
Ellen E
Manygatess
Carol W
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

August 2013 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 8:11 pm

MY THERMONMETER says 110 in the shade.....geewhillikers.....I have been on the puter looking for a summer destination for next summer....I'm ready for fall temps now please....Dogs are all under something for some shade, go take a swim and go back to the shade....pups are all in the house and the AC is working but its not that cool in here...but cooler than OUTSIDE! I worry about the horses...at least they get a break at night when it cools down into the 70's...thank goodness. This fall horse sheds will go up for them to use....then they will have the option of getting under them...it will just be a roof and back side on it....to allow for some shade I will feel better once we get them up.

Stay cool y'all! I'm going to start panting, seems to work for the dogs!bom Idea 
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm

CB, just keep remembering, winter is nice.

Your puppies sound adorable.............

I'm walking stronger and stronger all the time, 8500 ft & above whoops my butt, not the walking. I'm not ready for a 10K but I'm moving along. Woohoo, at least I can see enjoying a foal.

No news........bye for now.

Everyone have a good evening. God bless.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 pm

You have a great incentive to get back on your feet...that new foal!

Now it is looking mighty stormy out there and I can hear thunder and the wind is blowing.....weather man didn't say a word about this coming....mahahahahahahah....wrongo again!

My grandsons' girlfriend told him if he loved her he would get his belly button pierced....so he glued an ear ring to his belly button and told her he did it! What a kid! Razz  But he did get another tattoo...he is a farrier part time, he got a horseshoe, a pair of nippers, and clinchers and horse shoe nail tattooed on his arm....crazeeeeee kid.

Hubby is out putting in a post as Tank and King broke the rails on a panel he has to put a post in and tie the rails to it....dang horses....how they manage to do that with hot wire strung between them I guess I"ll never know, cuz its working, Harry tested it! He didn't think it was working....mahahahahahahahaha....tee hee! When he stopped cussin' I headed for the house....my ears were burning....wow!

Well, have a great night, sweet dreams....

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 pm

GRAYMARE:
I am so glad you are feeling better all the time! wavy  I am looking forward to your new foal, too. Areion is my last, so I will be living vicariously concerning foals from now on. Very Happy 

CAROL:
Yikes! Glad it wasn't something wicked in those bushes! affraid  And you didn't fall off in the scramble, that is even better!

CB:
Ouch. Too hot for me. The only time I was ever in AZ it was 110 degrees in the shade. I measured it and couldn't believe it. I thought that was something someone just made up that it could get that hot. Laughing Congrats on the pups! And stay cool....

TRUDY:
Have a great celebration!! And tell us all about it.

ELLEN:
Have you recovered from all your company? How is the neighbor whose husband died doing?

Well, we have had a busy few days. We worked like crazy to get the second field's hay up before the rain they predicted for today. We did and it didn't rain today after all. We made 85 lovely bales off our middle field, leaving just the bottom hayfield to go. That one is as big as the other two fields put together, so it is going to be a pile of work. I got up half the hay bales by myself, then the neighbor kid showed up and did the heavy lifting after that. Whew! Hay is a lot of work, but it is soooo nice to have it done at the right time.

Areion doesn't get a lesson this week, Lori is off on a vacation to Mexico. Our homework is to reinforce the head down cue she learned awhile back. We practiced today and she remembered how to do it. This is to prepare for having a bridle put on next week.

I decided to ride Kazi on Sunday afternoon. She was very good about being tacked up and letting me on, but then didn't want to move forward, she kept backing up. We think she has some kind of pain in her back. She has gotten more swaybacked in the past couple of years. This may be the end of any riding on her. I was thinking of taking her to a local horse show on Saturday, but I don't think I will be doing that now.

Annie got her cast off last week and yesterday went to the physical therapist to learn the exercises she needs to strengthen her wrist. She is doing them pretty well. Yesterday she helped with the hay by catching the bales coming out of the baler before they rolled down the hill. Last time we had several get away from us and unroll themselves. Rolling Eyes 

We went to a town festival called "Steppin Out" in Blacksburg last Friday. Annie ran in their one mile race and we both shopped till we dropped. It was a lot of fun. I got a call today from the YMCA and was told I won a big basket of something or other from them at the festival! Donnie will pick it up tomorrow.

Sooo, that's the news from here!Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:11 am

Neighbor Pat and I went to the funeral that was held this evening.  Wife seems to be doing okay.  She's been staying with one of her sons for the last few days.  She said she thinks she'll be back here to the lake this weekend.  The rest of the neighbors and I will try to help her find things to do so she doesn't feel alone.  For the last few years, she's been rather limited in what socializing she could do because her husband couldn't get out and around much.  She's a very sweet lady.

Graymare, it's good news to hear that you are gaining strength everyday.  If you are building strength at the 8500 foot level, you should be really great at Phoenix level.
Did you win playing cards the other night.

CB, hang in there another month.  It'll get better. At least you don't have shovel all that heat or put on chains when you drive. Laughing 

Ark, it must feel really great to get all your winter hay in from your own fields, and done when the hay is the best.  Glad to hear that Annie is doing well without her cast.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Flippin weatherperson is wrongo AGAIN! said 0% chance of rain, and now we are under severe thunderstorm warning....its here....thunder, lightning, and WIND! so far no rain tho....

HOT day again....by the time we have temps below 100 we will have had our 11 straight day of being over! egads! Can't wait for the 90's again! lol

Hubby is having his meniscus and knee scraped of bone spurs and cysts on the 22nd....hoping it makes him able to get around better and with less pain.....

Well, I need to go put finishing touches on my chicken dinner....bird is in the crockpot, I'll make some gravy and veggies and walah....maybe even some home made stuffing...sounds good to me.

Ellen that was nice you two went ....I'm sure the neighbor appreciated your coming. I'll bet she is still shell shocked....that is hard to deal with.

Well, y'all have a great night...sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 1:09 pm

alrighty then....home from the hospital where hubby had some tests done, now we just wait for results....his rememberer isn't working real well....the storke afteraffects I guess....but we wanted to make sure he wasn't having mini strokes...so they will compare the one he had in the ER and todays EEG.

Another HOT day in paradise....humidity was 67% last I checked the weather station...ugh....feels moist and heavy outside, hard to breathe.

Puppies are growing and getting sooooo cute. The younger litter have their eyes open and getting out of their whelping box already and jumping and playing....they are fun to watch and cuddle with.

Well, have a great day y'all. Do something horsey or at least fun!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 pm

CB:
Hopefully Harry isn't having any mini-strokes! Yikes.....I hope his knee surgery goes well, too!

SUNNY:
How is it going? Any news? Is your back and neck okay?

We are going to get rained on this evening. Big surprise for us. We are about 14 inches above normal for the entire year with rainfall this year..so far. It has been a very cool summer, which that part I have enjoyed, but it isn't really a normal weather situation.

RICK:
How ya doing? Are you mad at us? Suspect 

NANCY LEE:
It was great to see you here the other day! I hate it when a post gets lost. So come on back and give us the long version!Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 pm

I really neeeeeed to proofread my posts!Razz Laughing  bounce bounce 
Storkes...and that isn't even spelled right! ARK, me too...hoping not, but I don't understand what is happening to his being able to remember things....drives me wild!confused confused Suspect  I really think sometimes he is doing it on purpose, .....would a man do that:?: Question Question 

What say the men on our lil site? Come on guys, whats your honest opinion!cheers Exclamation 

Another HOT day, high humidity...not doing much except lazing around....It was 104 a bit ago....ouch!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:46 pm

so far so good on the injuries just sore and a headache from he!! they totaled my truck but Kent thinks that it may have been salvaged, he thinks they just didn't want to bother with it but they did value the truck at more than I owed so I will have enough to get another vehicle, and the owner of the lot felt bad about the accident so is going to work with me to get me into something else, I am looking at ford explorers and a ford explorer sport trac, I love my fords and feel comfortable with them, the insurance co. did not cover my trailer for my scooter but the scooter store is getting me another one for a big discount that is in my budget, I filed all the papers to get my money they said that it would be no more than a week from yesterday so next wednesday, I got a rental but don't like it it is a jeep patriot 4 cylinder not good on gas has a lot of bells and whistles but am not used to them not totaly comfortable driving it you would think that a 4 cylinder would be great on gas but this one gets less than my ranger did, so hopefuly this nightmare will be over soon and get back to normal
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 8:07 pm

It's sounding good SUNNY! Sorry you hate your rental. AND, I hope you get your new car soon!

CB, Prayers for HARRY.....let us know how his knee surge goes.

ARK, it's good to hear ANNIE is doing so well.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 pm

HA! weather person needs to get a new job! Altho they did say 10% to cover their butts...we had a thunder boomer with lightning and some rain and a double rainbow, and its not done yet! Boy is the sky black out there!

Made chicken and broccoli soup for dinner tonight...yum....

Sunny that sounds like good news! Yay!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:41 pm

I"M GOING OUT OF TOWN FOR THE WEEKEND< AND THIS COMPUTER IS GOING TO THE SHOP ON THE WAY OUT> I CAN"T GET RID OF THE CAPS< AMONG OTHER PROBLEMS> SEE YOU ALL MONDAY>
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 4:59 pm

ELLEN
HAVE A GOOD TIME!! Very Happy  SAFE TRIP!!!

SUNNY:
That sounds like good news. Maybe you will find an even nicer truck than before. Maybe a red one Very Happy . I am glad you weren't hurt.

CB:
We are having hit or miss thunderstorms today. Annie and I went out for lunch with a friend over in Blacksburg and it poured there. It was dry here. I can't get over the weather this year, weird everywhere. This is August and we have only had a couple of 90 degree days all summer. It hangs around 80 most days. Good for folks without A.C., which would be us.

Areion has done her head lowering exercises pretty well this week. She is very sensitive, you just have to barely touch her head and down it goes. Lori should be happy with her next week.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 11:15 pm

ARK, no a/c...yikes girl! I love my air! I guess Texas has been hoggin' all the nice sunny HOT days!....and I am so willing to share them!

Its official both Jessi and her hubby got their coveted jobs and will be at this base the next 5 years....they are happy, since Joeys' kids are here in Texas too...he really hated the thought of leaving them and not seeing them very often....so at least he has the next five years....they already are looking for a bigger house....they want a four bedroom with some land they can keep the horses, altho I will really miss seeing them once that happens....hope they don't forget about us. They are so dang busy!

Ellen, have a good time.

Sweet Dreams Y'all.....

Back to top Go down
TallyPam

TallyPam

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 2:55 pm

SUNNY.....MAKE SURE YOU SEE YOUR DOC WITHIN 14 DAYS OF YOUR ACCIDENT. Our lovely lawmakers passed a law that says you must seek medical care within 14 days or your insurance won't cover it. Went into effect July 1st. Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 8:19 pm

TALLYPAM:
Good to see you! That sounds like very good advice to SUNNY. I wouldn't have thought about the timing on such things. So how are your dressage lessons going? I want to take dressage lessons on Areion when she is ready for such things. There is never an end to things to do on a horse!

I rode Ivan in the arena and around the barnlot pasture this afternoon. We did something a little different. I bought a cheap MP-3 player, $15, and hooked it up to a little portable speaker. I
played several songs I like on it while doing ground work with Ivan, then rode him with it playing. I have been wanting to do this for years, but didn't want to spend so much on the MP--3 player, they have dropped in price considerably. Ivan didn't like it at first, but by the time we finished the ground work, he didn't mind the noise and didn't spook even once when I had it on his saddle.

I have been wanting to trot to music to to see if we could improve on our cadence.
I think it is going to work! I'd also like to pick a nice trotting song and develop a little riding routine with Ivan, just for fun. After using the music, I rode him around the barnlot pasture. When Donnie came through the upper gate, we cantered right up to him and stopped on a dime. Very Happy  I don't mind cantering up hill, but am not so happy about downhill. I had a fun time with Ivan today, he was in such a good mood and very cooperative.

Donnie trimmed Areion's front feet after I finished the ride, then it started raining. We'll have to do her rear feet tomorrow and hopefully get to Ivan's. They have a lesson this coming Thursday. Areion is lowering her head very nicely, the homework that Lori wanted us to do in preparation for bridling. Now I need to sort out a bridle for Areion, I don't want to readjust Ivan's bridle. I think Daisy's will fit Areion just fine. Her head is longer than Ivan's.

It is raining again......Rolling Eyes  I was lucky to get done what I did today.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 11:27 pm

What a nice two days. Got to see and hold the tiny new baby girl and take pictures. Drove from there to the campground to spend the night. Reunion today with 52 of us eating too much; playing with a pontoon. a kayak. three motorboats. and five radio controlled little boats. Happy and tired a good time was had by all.

Posting with Kindle hoping to get computer home on Monday.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 12:32 am

The dummy who kidnapped that teenage girl picked the wrong state to mess with! My girls told me yesterday they had found his car in Cascade, and I told my hubby he picked the wrong state to mess with. Those rednecks up there were after him as soon as they found the car and knew it was his. A horseback rider ran across him and called it in to cops. A FBI sharpshooter took him out. I'll bet there were lots of bad a$$es up there that wanted a piece of him. There were over 300 searchers on his trail almost immediately....he didn't stand a chance. Hunters, Hikers, and horse back riders and four wheelers were after him...all armed! I feel for the teenager...she will have a hard time...losing her Mom and Brotehr. I will Hum that she finds a way to move forward with her life.

Went to a Mexican wedding tonight...it was fun. The mariachi band was good, and the food was good. Had a good time, and Daniel and Edith made a lovely couple. When he was watching his bride walk down the aisle, he had a smile on his face from ear to ear...he was HAPPY! I hope they have a very happy marriage. Folks were dressed in everything from holy blue jeans to gowns....I even wore a dress...yes I did...kid you not!

Sweet dreams y'all.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am

sounds like a fun wedding CB ..... I love mexican food and love to try the different things. My nurse that comes to do my infusion in AZ is Mexican/American and we love to talk about different customs and stuff. It is fun to share this stuff.

Cloudy and a bit humid this morning, suppose to clear but stay a bit humid. Headed out to ride Ice for a while. Be nice if there was a breeze as it helps keep the bugs away, but at the moment I can't see any breeze out there.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 11:15 am

Ellen ... Was the reunion you went to your 50 year class reunion???? We are planning ours for next year and it is fun to talk to some of the old gang. Unfortunately we have been losing several of them. Hope you had fun.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am

We had a HUGE storm last evening w wild thunder and lightening. This morning is lovely. The mtns are green, the meadows and pastures are very green, and streams are flowing like mad. The temp is up to 48 now so one can smell the early fall air and feel the little nip and chill very early in the morning. I love that. Addy and I can walk faster now in that cool brisk air. Ha, she doesn't jump in the stream, tho. LOL

CB, it's going to be interesting to hear the investigative details regarding that tragic mess.
Gosh, 3 dead. The psychological implications for the young girl are awful even if she wanted to run away w him. Who will ever know "the real story". I am thinking her mother caught the two of them in a tangle and she was going to the police. Why else would he murder her mother (and little brother)? Glad you had fun at a wedding. Mexican weddings are like festivals and really fun.

Have fun ARK riding to music.

Everyone have a great day. God bless. Prayers for ALL..
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 7:58 pm

I heard that the SOB was a long time family friend but the had become very afraid of him. She had only confided that to a friend. Most of those perverted groom their victims for a long time. I am glad he will never do that to another girl.

The reunion was a family one. For various reasons there were about ten more who could not come. I feel so privileged to have extended family who like one another.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 1:02 pm

boy, the backyard in Idaho is burning...over 180,000 acres have burned where we have camped and ridden in the past....ranches and farms having to evacuate and do old fashion cattle and sheep drives to get animals out to safety. Luckily the ranches are far apart so there has been minimal building loss from what I'm hearing....but oh the worry and heartache they are going thru.

Ellen, the kids have scanners, and they said there were over 300 searchers looking for him within an hour of finding the car.....in other words they were hot on his trail and I knew he wouldn't make it out alive. Those searchers were determined to save that girl, everyone of them wanted a piece of him, as I would have too. Why can't these guys find a woman their own age who are willing and know or at least have an idea what theyare getting into with him. Her best friend said she was afraid to be alone with him even before this happened. Someone should have put a stop to him before all this happened. AS parents we try and protect our kids as much as we can...I went thru this with my middle kiddo...she thought this older man was just the cats' meow, and he was 40! Grrrrrrr....it took us so long to get the law to do anything to him....he had a record and had been in prison for doing the same thing. One day he crossed the street when I was driving, and if my oldest hadn't been with me, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be walking this earth anymore....but my oldest wouldn't get out of the car cuz she knew what I was going to do. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....sometimes the dang law drags their feet....not important enuf....ok....I guess I will go make me a cuppa tea. I can understand how this got so out of hand...but don't like it.
I'm not yelling at you or anything, it just brings back such awful memories.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Another day, another thunderstorm. The lightning show was pretty spectacular with this one.

ELLEN:
Glad you had a fun time at your family reunion! I think you are very fortunate, too!

GRAYMARE:
Wow, that sounds kind of chilly. It gets cold early in those mountains! I am glad you are feeling better and better! cheers 

OL'MAN:
How are you and Virginia doing? You've been quiet, make some noise! Very Happy 

Anyone watching "Breaking Bad"? Wow. Last seven shows of the series coming up, it has been intense.
Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 am

Well, we are still enjoying the best summer here in 15 years (or so the weathermen say). Of course I missed the best of the hot weather because I was away in TX having even HOTTER weather! But right now, it is pretty nice here, warm and dry and just the occasional bit of rain to keep the farmers happy.

ARK - I've been enjoying reading all about your various riding episodes and those great photos! Glad to hear that Areion is being a good girl and seems to learn the lessons quickly. And Ivan also sounds like he's being a good boy, giving you the confidence to canter around on him. But I'm sorry to hear about Kazi's back, what age is she?
I love to ride to music and have done a few Musical Freestyle Dressage competitions over the years- the good bit about them being that because the Judge doesn't know the test, you can make it up a bit (or a lot) if necessary! Very Happy  If you can find them on your radio/i-player/CD player etc, anything jazzy by Scott Joplin is good for trot - The Entertainer or Maple Leaf Rag are a couple of good ones. And if you like something classical for trot work- I use Boccherini's Minuet which is really pretty.
And good to hear your sister Annie's wrist is recovering well...

GRAYMARE - glad to hear that you also are getting better. It must be beautiful up in the mountains - do you live there all the time? What is it like in Winter?

CB - you are having some real mixed weather from all accounts, hearing about those high temperatures makes me feel I'm right back there! I hope you keep getting more nice homes for all your puppies too, it sounds like you have a lot of animals to look after.
The hay over here this year is very different from usual - we had a long, cold, wet winter and hay was in extremely short supply due to the late Spring. Then suddenly the ground warmed up and dried out and the grass GREW really fast. Of course the farmers in a panic hurried to cut and dry it in the lovely bit of heatwave, expecting the usual wet summer to arrive, which it didn't - but the hay was cut and dried much SHORTER length than usual and just looks odd. It's smells and appears delicious, and the horses are already eating it due to none of last years hay left and clearly love it. But when I need to fill a hay net, it falls through the holes!

ELLEN E - sorry to hear the sad news about your neighbour. But it sounds like you have a close-knit and supportive community there, that is lovely, for everyone.

CAROL- your account of meeting the Wild Turkeys on your lovely ride had me laughing and horrified together! How you stayed on, I am seriously impressed - must be a very strong reflex reaction to grip like that in the circumstances and stay on! cheers Hope you enjoyed the rest of the ride and weren't looking for turkeys round every corner!

Time now to go and make me some lunch - trying to eat healthy though, and lose some weight. Again. Wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2013
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next