Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

March 2017

Go down 
+3
cb
Graymare
Ark
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Manygatess

March 2017 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 am

ARK: Sorry to hear about your neighbor and the funeral. I HATE funerals. Especially anyone in my crazy family, it can turn into a brawl in a heart beat. 3 days of weeping and wailing. At my Niece Patty's funeral the doctor who called her a hypochondriac & didn't treat her for breast cancer had the nerve to show up. He is lucky he didn't join her in the casket, my Nephew went off the deep end. At my neighbors fathers funeral, she went off the deep end after everyone was saying all these nice things (I'm so glad I didn't get up and say anything) she got up and called him a no good alcoholic who treated his kids like crap. The entire room was hardly breathing. She went on and on as her husband tried to get her to sit down. The look on the Pastors face was total shock. Funerals..uuggghhhh They bring out the worst in people.

CB: Try one of those Tommy Copper braces, I think you'll be surprised at how well they work. I have one and George has 2, after wearing it a couple days I can go for weeks without it. They are not very expensive. I have Osteoarthritis in my knee, it swells and I am trying my darnest not to have a knee replacement.

GRAYMARE: You are so right. I have all my very happy memories of riding thru the fields on my horse, playing at the shows, I wouldn't trade them for anything. When I see people riding my heart sings and tries to tell me that I could still ride if I had the "right" horse, but my mind fights and says "johnny walker" and I come back to reality. I have a good friend with MS who is in a wheel chair and she reminds me how important walking is, she would give up everything to be able to get outta that chair and walk across the room.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Bawwwwl, sniff, i want to make more good memories of riding the trails for this summer yet....i hope i can anyway.
A few rides will tell me, i guess. 

Trudy, ill try the tommycopper knee things. Worth a try.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I keep seeing members on but no new posts....i came back later in hopes i would see new news of any kind, and nuthin....sob... Sad
My news isnt great news or exciting, but somebody elses news or pists are one of the hilights of my day.
Im a bundle of nerves having kyke go overseas, and tomorrow i get test results, and im torn about riding....being tugged at.....29 which ways....
So post, help me take my minds thoughts a different direction...
Tia foops 

And foopettes
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 12:21 am

CB:
 Good luck with the tests tomorrow.  I hope they come out well.  I totally understand your reluctance to give up your horse.  hug

TRUDY:
 I find myself taking more lessons and using more safety equipment while riding as time goes by.  I can't stop yet, I have finally got two horses working who are just what I have wanted forever.  I don't know where time has gone, I turned 63 a week ago and have my share of aches and pains, but I can't stop riding yet.  I don't bounce nearly as easily as I used to.  My next safety equipment may be an air vest.  I hear one does bounce pretty well with those, without breaking near as much.  I certainly could have picked an easier breed of horses to deal with.  I love Arabians, but they are not always the easiest of horses to deal with.  Ivan has definitely made me a better rider while inadvertently trying to kill me on occasion.  Rolling Eyes  

Today I had a good ride.  Lori and I went 10 miles in 2 1/2 hours, over hill and dale, around trees and ditches, and avoiding lots of bikes, dogs, joggers, and downed trees in the pathway.  It isn't as fast as we need to go, but for the obstacles and terrain, I felt we did pretty good.    Ivan was great!  He didn't get tired like he did last week when his emotions were on high.   Areion gets stronger every ride, she was still cheerful and perky at the end of the ride.  We crossed a big creek 4 times, climbed over a few trees that the wind blew down last week, trotted downhill (which usually scares me to death), and had a great time.  Both horses wore hoofboots on their front feet and the rocks didn't slow them down at all.  Areion has been getting a little ouchy on the rocks.  She wore Ivan's old Cavallo boots while Ivan wore his new EasyBoot gloves.  I think Areion will be getting some gloves soon, too.  They worked out very well.   Anyway, it was a little cool today, but we had a fun ride

March 2017 - Page 2 Endofr11

March 2017 - Page 2 Dianei11
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 12:35 am

Great pics ARK. Also, glad you're still out there. I'm limited but not down & out..........my two spinal surgeries cured long distance. You're still a kid ARK. How is Shadow?

Praying your tests are going to go well CB.

Heavens, putting this family room back will take time. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 2:29 am

Im glad you gals that still can ride do, i sure would like to keep on, but who knows.
Ark u r doing great!  I love to hear about ur progress and training you do. 
I heard my neighbor crying and really loudly...i was sitting outside. She didnt stop...finally since the gates are locked, i put a ladder up and crawled over. Knocked and went in, and held her. Her husband sat there crying too. I finally got them to talk and found out their son had died. He lived in colorado. They dont have family here, but i knew they are close with the neighbors cross the street. I sent harry over and unlocked the gate. We all sat and held them and had some cold sodas, and just let them talk.  Sad day. They were thankful they had friends around them, i was glad i went over the fence....didnt know what i was going to do if it was a domestic dispute, but the sobbing just sounded so heartbreaking....just knew i had to do something. 
Crazy, sad news from here.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 6:59 am

CB: AWWWWW that is so sad about your neighbors. I can certainly understand why you are nervous about Kyle heading overseas. Lots of prayers for his safety and for you guys. Praying your test results are good ones.

ARK: I'm always so happy to hear your riding stories and see the photos. It's great that you are still riding and enjoying your horses. Keep doing all the safety things that you are doing and ride on for the rest of us who just can't ride any longer..

Not much going on here. Another cold morning 27 degrees.

Off to the doctors office with George this morning. His 3 month check up.

One of the guys at church asked George to help him with a project do to something for the Veterans, Police and Firefighters at Freedom Fest this July. That will keep him busy along with the Purple Heart State Convention in June. As much as he whines about having too much stuff to do, he loves it..and so do I. Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Trudy, its good to be busy and feel you are doing something good and to help others, kudos to you both.

Wind gusts are rocking the camper, weatherman never said a word about this gawd awful wind coming. My patio table and chairs are up against the fence. Dogs wont stay out in it....tgey r content to lay diwn and nap as we shake rattle and roll Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm

CB, you did what you thought was right climbing over that fence, and helped that family.
A couple of years ago, I got a phone call from a friend I used to work with at Viking. Her 36 year old son was a severe alcoholic. He had OD-ed on alcohol to the extreme and wasn't found soon enough. She was telling me that they had to remove the life support and that he was gone. Never in my whole life have I had such a heartbreaking phone call. Since we were on the phone, I couldn't even hug her. All I could do was listen and remind her that she had done all she could to help him, which she had.
So terribly sad.

Rose, what do you think of the new racing format with the segmented races?  It does keep them moving and not laying back until the end.
I was so hoping Larson or Elliot could pull one out yesterday.

It's overcast but 55° today.  Nothing too exciting.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 8:21 pm

I would think losing a child is very hard to deal with, i hooe i never have to.

Good news from heart doc...echo and stress test on hubby were a ok. Echo on me was a ok too. My kidney function had improved sone. I stopped taking nexium, orednisone, glyberide, and januvia....so the vote is one of those meds is what was causing my kidneys to fail. Not out of the woods, but i can see the forest lot clearer, lol.
Ive gone from 9.8 a1c to 7.2 a month ago, so the blood work i just did last week should be below 7...yessss, that is good. Looking for 6.5 or lower.  Now if i can get my knee and back working right, id be so happy!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 am

CB
 That sounds like very good news from the doctors!  cheers   Keep up the good health!  cheers
 Your poor neighbors.  I wonder what happened to their son?  

ELLEN:
 Wow, that was a tragic phone call.  She needed an ear and you were there for her. cheers  

TRUDY:
 George and you sure are busy folks!  It's a good thing to do. cheers

GRAYMARE:
 Shadow is doing pretty well.  He is fitting in more every day here.  Kumquat doesn't mind him and ThunderPuff is getting braver, although he still stays mostly in the bedroom.  The horses don't pay any attention to him, but Cactus Jack still chases Shadow around when he gets a chance.  Poor Shadow doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body and doesn't retaliate against him or Dorian GreyCat who attacks him on occasion, too.  Our only issue with Shadow is that he has emergency bathroom problems at 3 or 4 a.m. about half the time.  We have cleaned up some big messes.... I have been giving him a bland food, I don't think it is caused by what he is eating for dinner.  I think his taste for horsey doo, chicken doo, probably cat doo, is causing his problems.  Hopefully he won't continue to sample the farm doo much longer.  Shadow went with us yesterday to Pandapas Pond Park and kept Donnie company while we were riding.  He didn't pay any attention to the gun fire across the highway at all this time.  

Shadow yesterday at Pandapas Pond Park:

March 2017 - Page 2 Shadow10
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 6:10 am

Feed earlier in the day, that nay help. My bulldogges are notorius for gas. The only food i have found is the chicken puppy chow....that the pup fudnt gave accident with.  Now we feed in the early morning and again about 4 and we r up late to ket them out before we crash. I miss my doggie door.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 7:52 am

Today starts our 40 day fast at church, so yesterday I ate most of the things I have given up. I ate a chocolate bar, drank a Coke, had sweet cream coffee creamer, ate cookies & ice cream with caramel..No wonder I didn't sleep well, and had very strange dreams about the Post Office and stamps, all that sugar in one day. Now this morning I'm off and running. Bet I lose some more weight.

ARK: Ace had stomach issues with Blue Buffalo, now he gets Zignature with turkey, since we changed him he hasn't had many stomach issues. I order my dry food from Chewy.com, they ship it free. I feed early and he takes a poop walk before bed. If Shadow is eating the tasty YUCK morsels around the farm that could very well be the issue. Good luck with stopping that, dogs seems to be obsessed with any type of poop. My neighbors dogs come down and eat all the cat poop they can find in the yard. Ace will gobble some down too if he thinks I'm not watching him.

CB: Yeah good results on your test results. Some of the meds they give us for one thing are terrible on the other parts of our body.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Ark, you might check with your vet and see if you can give him a little bit of Imodium.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 10:31 am

Inch by inch getting family room back in order.............

Bathroom tile being done today..............

We had a teen girl in our neighborhood commit suicide 3 yrs ago. Three weeks ago her mom did. HORRIBLE. AWFUL HORRIBLE. Our neighborhood is in a real sad state currently.

Inch by inch we are putting our family room back together. Remind me to never paint a room again.

The bathroom tile is almost finished.

Me? Color me tired. LOL

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am

GRAYMARE
How terrible for the neighborhood and that family. The mother must have been devastated.
Good luck with the renovations! What kind of tile did you get? It took us months to choose the tile we ended up with. Over half the house has a terracotta type of colored tile, which luckily we still like after all that indecision. Now it needs stripping and resealing.

ELLEN
Shadow has an appointment at the vet's office tomorrow. I will ask about the Immodium.

TRUDY
The nasty poo tasting habit is my least favorite thing about dogs. I used to have a toy poodle, Barooga, who did the same thing. Then he wanted to lick your face Rolling Eyes .

CB
We made it thru 2 nights in a row without an incident, but I think Donnie keeps his ears open all night for Shadow to get restless. I have been cooking up ground turkey with pumpkin and vitamins added for his breakfast, then just dried kibble the rest of the day. I suspect it is his poop foraging that causes the problem. Hopefully he will lose his taste for it soon...... Ever hopeful...

Pretty day here, it's going to be 67°! Then Saturday they are predicting 3-10 inches of SNOW. No No ride this weekend.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 12:46 pm

I gotz to ask, why the turkey, and why the pumpkin? What kind of dry kibble?

Cool this morning here, but better than the fires and the young couple who were killed trying to save their cattle...so sad.

Graymare, sorry about the mother...it really has to be hard to lose a child.

Did you take pics of before and after remodeling?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 6:15 pm

CB:
I read on a holistic vet site that sometimes changing the dog's food to a bland and relatively fat free meat with pumpkin added for fiber, and vitamins, can sometimes cure a problem with digestion for dogs. Ground turkey was suggested since it has less fat than beef. I also just read this article about the very dry kibble I have been feeding Shadow:

http://everythingorganized.org/popular-dog-food-brand-poisoned-killed-thousands-dogs/

Now isn't that nice? Sheesh.... I guess I will be changing the kibble. Tomorrow I am taking Shadow to the vet, I will ask about which kibble they recommend. Beneful is the kind of kibble his previous owner used. We don't know if she had the same problems, but kind of wonder about it now.

Pretty day here. I have already exercised Ivan and Areion in the arena while Daisy patiently stood in a corner and waited for them to be done. She knows I won't make her run if she stands in the corner. Daisy is nothing if not bright and lazy. Laughing She is still a little ouchy on one front foot, so I am not making her run yet, but as soon as that slight limp stops, she will be making rounds in the arena, too. She is no longer wearing her soft hoof boots that she wore for months and her limp seems to be less and less as time goes on. Ivan and Areion really look pretty when they are running. Today Ivan did his extended trot....it was so pretty. Someday I am going to learn how to get that trot when I am riding him.
Areion prefers to canter over trot, so the trick is to get her to trot fast without breaking into the canter. Ivan can out trot her many times over, she just kicks into her canter. They are both getting in better shape.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Graymare, it is so very sad when people can't see a purpose in living.  

Painting and tiling just takes a little time.  Laying the tile isn't too bad, but the grouting is a MESS.  But, it will all be worth it when you're all done.

A few months ago, the neighbors' little dog was staying with me. I could tell she wasn't feeling well for some reason. I finally called the vet. He suggested some pumpkin puree. It seems to have a very positive effect on the intestines, no matter what the problem is. I didn't have any, and it was too late at night to get any. He also suggested giving her some Pepto Bismal, which I did. That seemed to help.
The next day, the neighbor took her to the vet. He explained a little more about the pumpkin, so she gets a little bit of pumpkin now and then.

Today has been in the low 50s, but we have a ferocious wind blowing.  A friend and I decided to go play in Shipshewana today.  We met at a fabric shop, where they have LOTS of discount fabrics.  Overstocks and discontinued bolts at greatly reduced prices.  Then on to several other stores, lunch at the Bluegate Restaurant (fried chicken and REAL mashed potatoes for me), then some more shopping before heading home.  We had to take a little detour because a truck had blown over on the main road.  Serious winds today.
There were lots of horses and buggies out today, and several farmers plowing or disking with teams of horses.  I guess it's just a little bit too early for foals to be born; I didn't see any.

After all the walking and shopping, I'm ready to "set a spell".  Other than lunch, I only bought 3 little bags of old fashioned cinnamon balls.  Love those things.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 am

Birds are singing and its very warm outside already....

Yoshi woke me up to ho out. He has the most gentle way doing it. Sticks his big ol head right in my face and makes a
 snuffling sound....brings me wide awake everytime! tongue Rolling Eyes

Ive never heard about pumpkin before, new one on me.
Beneful has had recalls too recently. I try to feed a dry food made in the US. What did your vet recommend, Ark.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Whew. Hot here this afternoon. Morning was perfect. Got a lot done.

I bought black lacquer paint to paint my mule table. I'm bringing it in for my
cowgirl cafe. It's a wagon wheel glass top table. The mule shoes hold the glass in place. The legs are Hanes. Need to polish the brass, also. Ha. Tea parties on game day. Our "family" room is a gym, TV room, game room, & now a tea table, too. The blah blahs are all excited.

So. Now sitting a bit thinking. I should be finished in a week.........at the most two.

The horses are ignored and happy...........they're happily out eating.

My grandmother used to eat pumpkin with sugar & cinnamon. I think it was her
modern day Metamucil. The pumpkin had the strings in it. I didn't know any better. I thought it was just fine. Kids are a riot. I hadn't thought of that for years & years.

Everyone have a good evening.

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Graymare, you do realize we'll need pictures of your mule table. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Definate on the pics of the tea table.

Just had a bird fly into my frint door, both dogs jumped straight up, hubby was laying down, he jumped up...thinking someone was coming in the door...and i did a freeze number....opened the door and a huge black bird laid on the ground....craaazeeeeee.

POOR BIRDIE.

WATCHING JUDGE JUDY, CHUCKLING...
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 8:07 pm

ELLEN. you've sat at the table on front porch.............LOL, you've seen it.
I've had it 35-40yrs.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 pm

I'd forgotten all about that. It's been a looong time since I was there. I THINK Levi was a yearling.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 10, 2017 7:40 am

ACCKKKKK we have SNOW this morning...I was hoping the weatherman would get it wrong like he does most of the time but nope....it's here. It was 60 yesterday with lots of wind..oh well, don't have to leave the farm today so let it snow. The farmers have been complaining about no snow pack this year.

We had our little church group at one of the ladies who belongs to the group yesterday, instead of at church. She had a kidney stone operation and can't get out of the house, but wanted to attend the meeting so we moved it to her place. She was very excited about having us there. She has to have another operation on the 31st. They are doing one kidney at a time because of her MS. Say a little hummmm for her Dee James.

ARK: I heard of feeding the pumpkin to dogs before. My daughters vet recommended it for her dog with tummy issues. A little Pepto can't hurt either. when Ace was having all those tummy issues my vet recommended Zantac 75. it's over the counter.

GRAYMARE: Can't wait to see the tea table. It sounds really cool...

CB: Send some of that warm weather up here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March 2017   March 2017 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

March 2017
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next