Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

June 2017...Summer time!

Go down 
+4
Manygatess
cb
Ellen E
Ark
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Rose

June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Oh dear CB, uncontrolled canines, regardless of breeds, are dangerous, very dangerous! Obviously your pup was going into protective mode. Thankfully the dogs were shoed away.
Thanks to everyone on suggested cure for matted tail. ARK, I'm going to keep that recipe forever!
Jack's tail had the worst mat I've ever seen, 12 inches long and about 3/4 inch thick. One of the blogs Lori posts to had a suggestion we'd never heard before, but were desperate enough to try.......with a sharp knife or scissors cut through the mat lengthwise, more than one place if needed, then separate into hunks/hanks and brush or comb out the different pieces. Voilla!!! No more mats and a perfectly beautiful tail, just thinned a bit!!!!! My amazing Jack stood perfectly still for 2 hours with two of us yanking and pulling on his tail! Like a Star @ heaven HIS TAIL WILL BE BRUSHED DAILY, we aren't going through this again!
GM, very wise move having a trainer work with the colt. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 11:37 pm

CB, Donna's husband, Jack will be staying in the hospital until the end. He requires extensive care that cannot be done at home. Just praying that the end is peaceful and medicated for very little pain.
I was very numb and very weak on the left side, couldn't stand w/o falling, during stroke, much like Harry and the doctor at the ER responded very quickly with contrast MRI, hospital and endarectomy(sp).
ARK, the hay shed is a wonderful idea, esp since ya'll are doing so much hay now.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2017 3:12 am

I didnt know about donnas husband, many hugs for them both.

Jaemi works with the sheriffs dept here in town, got a call 3 horses were in the fire, wildfires all over after a storm went thru with lightning. We along with neighbors and search and rescue team got the horses out just as plane put down fire retardent stuff....got them transported to safety.
Had enuf smoke to last a lifetime....wow....their house was saved, burned right up to the back of it and on the side. Fires still burning. I didnt miss this after we moved away.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2017 7:08 am

GRAYMARE: OMG what a shock that was to read what happened to you. So thankful you are doing so well. We certainly missed you on the forum.

CB: Girlfriend your life is just waaayyyyy to exciting for this old girl. WOLF dog and fire...scary stuff.

ELLEN: Those flying stones can really do some damage. We have a few of those holes in our garage and window screens from the lawn mower. I try to keep myself & Ace inside when the mower is running.

RICK: WOW Cameron is 12. Where did those years go. Sorry to hear you have been so ill lately.

ROSE: Your new horse sounds wonderful. Such a great temperament to stand for hours and allow you to pull burrs outta his tail.

The parade was wonderful. They had a B52 flyover to start the parade. Zach's dad rode with us and his mom rode with the Gold Star Mothers. I can't imagine the pain they live with everyday.

Freedom Fest was a lot of fun, always nice sitting around, eating good food with friends and celebrating the freedoms we all enjoy.

Quiet week this week, nothing on our busy schedule except I'm off to get my hair cut this morning. YIPPEEEE my hair is outta control.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 12:07 am

I'm sorry to hear about Donna's husband. May it end peacefully.

Trudy, I got my hair cut last weekend and I sure was glad to have it shorter. It so much easier to get out of the shower, push it around a little bit and go.
Your truck is pretty. Smile

Graymare, is the super heat continuing in your area?
We've had a couple of really nice days. A little too cool for summer, but nice days to work outside. I washed some windows today. Of course that means it's going to rain SOON before the troops arrive on the weekend making it look like I never wash them.

Starting Saturday, there are going to be 20 some relatives coming and going over the next two weeks. They will come and things will be busy and chaotic, but when they leave they always clean up so that you'd never know they were here.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 am

GRAYMARE:
What a scare poor Terry must have had. I am glad he found you alive! Strokes seem to have a much better recovery rate than they used to. My mother died of one when she was 42 years old. I take them very seriously.... I am so glad you got help fast and that it has worked out well!!!

Areion and I had a great lesson with Lori today! I think Areion and I are getting better at understanding each other. We did several patterns in the arena today and neither of us spooked at anything! cheers She really is a fun ride when we are both on the same page. Lori said I was doing better. Areion was in a very mellow mood for a crisp, somewhat breezy day. We worked on getting my shoulders and hips correct to send her cues.

Ivan watched from across the fence. He goes back to have his leg checked next week, then he will get some exercise, too. I bet he has gained 75 pounds in the past two months. He keeps wondering why Areion is getting all the attention. He got his front feet trimmed this evening, so he got a little bit of attention.

ELLEN:
whew! 20 people! You are a great hostess. I would be a little overwhelmed by all that!
We have had great weather the past few days! It feels like perfect spring or fall weather, bright skies, 70ish degrees. It will get hot again on Thursday, though.

TRUDY:
I am off to the dentist tomorrow. Yuck. I have a small cavity to be filled. I think I am done after that for awhile. I really hate going there, even though they treat you very well. It's just plain no fun at all.

CB:
Any word on the closing yet? Idaho sounds like a dangerous place, that fire must have been terrible.

DONNA:
If you are reading, I hope you are okay and that Jack is pain free. I am so sorry about his illness. hug

RICK:
When is your vacation?

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 10:19 am

Ark, we are closing the tenth. Been a long wait for this vulture.  Rolling Eyes

More fires started last night near hammett, where i use to live. Air is smoke filled this morni g and smells bad, like structures may have burned, or hay stacks smouldering...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Ark, if I had to actually cook and entertain that bunch, it would be overwhelming. But, they do a good job of taking care of themselves. They do quite a bit of the cooking, and we do eat out sometimes. I have the grill grates cleaned and ready to go back on the grill, so we can cook hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, chicken, and anything else. I have a bunch of the disposable aluminum pans that I got from Sam's. I take whatever shortcuts make things easier.
By next week the water will be warm enough to be able to swim for several hours a day if they want to. I swam last weekend but the water was just a little too chilly to want to stay in for several hours.

The more you ride Areion, the better you'll both get. Keep it up. Smile

CB, it always takes such a long time to get through closings and to get possession. I've wondered who decided there should be so much paperwork connected to house sales. I think when I last did a refi a few years ago, I signed my name 46 times, and it was a completely ordinary and normal closing.

For some reason, rain seems to dilute the nectar in the hummingbird feeder and turns it from bright red to pale pink. Guess I need to empty and refill it with fresh sugar water to keep the little hummers happy.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 4:35 pm

How about some good news? I just heard from SUNNY (Dawn), on FaceBook. Here is what she had to say:

:dance: :dance:
I have great news, I have my own place, will be able to move in after the first, and the doctor is inducing labor to my granddaughter, should have a new baby by Friday, fingers crossed, Rylee is shy, she does not want to come out and say hi to the world

:dance: :dance:

Congrats on the new house AND the new great granddaughter, SUNNY!! wavy Sounds like July 1st is going to be a red letter day!

I am back from the dentist. She is so nice. I wish it was more fun to go there, Laughing . I am done until next October with dentists....I hope. Coincidentally, the dental assistant I had the previous trip was at the hospital with her daughter who had her first grandchild, a girl, while I was there. It was a happy dental visit. Very Happy

ELLEN:
My sister, Annie, is coming here July 8-22. Just one person visiting for that long will stress me! I don't know how you do so well. You must be way more organized, and tolerant, than me! Laughing It is nice you have the lake for them to play in. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. What is difficult for me is that I have to organize everything, cook, clean, and take care of the barn and animals while organizing entertainment. All without making it look difficult. Annie isn't bad to have around, but when we have had guests for a week, it sure took a lot out of me.

I hope Areion and I continue to get along. I am sure we will have our ups and downs, that is the way of it. As long as I don't hit the ground, I will be happy! Areion is a little difficult sometimes, but she isn't mean or anything. Reactive, yes.
She will make me a better rider....

Lori has invited me to ride Kashmir again on Saturday. I hope the weather holds!! It has been so great lately, but is going to start getting hot again tomorrow. A nice ride in the shade at Pandapas Pond would be great.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 pm

My cousins are all very self-sufficient and know where everything is in the kitchen. I do my best to stay out of their way. None of them are destructive in any way, so I just relax and enjoy having them here. Anything that gets moved out of the usual location can be put back once they all leave. I also had a dishwasher put in when I did the remodel almost 9 years ago. It gets put to good use.

The lumber company called to say that my replacement siding pieces had come in, so I went to get them. My across and down the street neighbor is going to fix it for me. He's also letting me park extra cars on his lot and in one of his driveways. I have the nicest neighbors in the world.

I'm glad to hear that Sunny Dawn finally has a place of her own to call home.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 28, 2017 8:16 pm

ARK ... to answer your question, our Alaskan tour is 8/11 to 8/24.

Graymare ... been thinking of you folks with the EXTREME high temps, and then to hear of your health issues is NOT what I like to hear on this board. So glad you came through OK and apparently are staying cool!!

My barn remodeling into a woodshed is complete as far as carpentry work is concerned to board up exterior stall doors and one stall window. I still need to cap off a water line underground that was for automatic waterer and take out the last feed trough I've been using to hold tools, etc. I will need to put some crushed stone in to fill in holes where horses managed to gouge out in the middle of their stalls. Then I'll have a nice 12 x 24 foot woodshed with solid walls on three sides. It will be filled and maybe some left over to go in another spot for storage.

Yard grass has been growing prolifically with afternoon showers, etc. Mowing has become my prime occupation, but I still manage to keep my recliner occupied a goodly amount. lol!!

Later, Foops!!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am

Just saw on facebook, Donnas husband has passed. So sorry, Donna and family, my heartfelt condolences. Hugs
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 2:35 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Donna's husband. I hope he didn't have to suffer too long.

I am a happy camper. Yesterday, I picked up a new piece of siding. Today, in about 10 minutes, my neighbor who is here from Dallas, put on the new piece in about 10 minutes. The old siding hasn't faded so the new piece looks just like it. Nobody would even know that anything ever happened.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 pm

I am very sorry to hear about DONNA's husband, Jack, also.  He was a Canadian Mountie way back when.   (((((Donna)))))

TRUDY:
 Got your photo.  It is a nice reduced size already, it would be an easy one to post here.  Nice photo, too!

June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 Trudyg10

What a handsome couple!  How long have you been married?

ELLEN:
 Congrats on getting your siding fixed!  We threw a rock through our siding a few years ago.  The hole is still there Laughing .  Our siding is concrete panels and will have to be fixed using something like Bondo and then repainting to match.  It isn't a big hole or we'd probably be faster about repairing it.....maybe.  Nowadays, I think Donnie is convinced I will throw a walnut thru our new bay window.  He has been doing all the mowing this summer, although I am aware of the problem and never drive the mower in the direction that would throw a walnut into the window.  But since I don't mind him mowing, I just go along with him... Very Happy

I rode Areion in a lesson today.  We got along pretty well.  It turns out that if I say "Are you ready" when I get her going, she thinks I might want to canter and gets a little antsy.  I say it all the time to Ivan, who just thinks we are going to do something new soon, sort of like a verbal half-halt.  Lori says it to Areion when she wants to canter.  I  have to stop saying it.  Rolling Eyes   Another habit for me to break....sigh....  Anyway, we did pretty good.   Photo follows:

June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 Dianea10
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 5:04 pm

With one of my horses, I usually said 'readeee' just before I asked him to canter. I said it very softly. He was really good about not anticipating, and my canter signal was extremely tiny. Nobody could see it. As he was better trained, I didn't say it anymore.
My first horse was so sensitive to verbal commands I couldn't even use them in a sentence.
I thought it was fun to keep refining the signals so they were completely invisible. You'll have fun with that too.

It is a nice day and so pleasant to sit here by the open doors. Too nice. I don't want to go to the store, but need to.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 30, 2017 7:10 am

ARK: Thanks for posting my photos. Someday I will figure it out. I printed out the instructions, all I have to do is locate them. HAHAHA We will be married 30 years next year. Hard to believe we haven't killed each other by now. Glad your dentist appointment went well. It helps to have a dentist that you can trust. I love my dentist, she is the kindest dentist I ever went to.

RICK: My horse barn has turned into a work shop also and is jam packed with tools and a lot of my sons painting equipment. One stall is his the other stalls are homes for the snow blower, ATV, riding mowers and more tools. Makes me sad to go in there The pole barn is home to the barn cats and ATV trailer our other sons camper (that he hasn't used in years). The hay loft is full of my neighbors daughters furniture and my grandsons stuff. Good thing we have all that storage room.

It's a quiet week here, not much going on for a change, I did get some of the stuff back into place after the A/C guys finished up. Still lots to do. I have too many knick knacks & pictures that had to be moved for the installation work.

Have a good weekend everyone...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Time to change the calendar:

go to: https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t70-july-2017

or click on Basket and then July 17 :-)

June's thread is closed. sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

June 2017...Summer time!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5