Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

June 2017...Summer time!

Go down 
+4
Manygatess
cb
Ellen E
Ark
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 am

CB
Sorry you are still waiting....and waiting....

ELLEN:
We don't have air conditioning here. Hopefully we will when we ever get the heatpump installed, but I am not holding my breath. The good news is, though, we are at 2000 feet elevation and don't get as hot as it does in eastern VA or down in NC. We open our windows at night to cool the house and then close them during hot weather during the day. It works pretty well most of the time. That and ceiling fans. I won't know how to act if we ever get air conditioning! Laughing

It was pretty today. I was going to mow, but someone who will remain nameless forgot to put the lawn mower key back where it goes and I couldn't find it. Oh, well. I read a book instead! When the nameless one got home, he raked the arena and trimmed Areion's feet so I will have a nicer lesson on her tomorrow. Maybe I will mow tomorrow evening....

They are calling for rain off some tropical storm coming in this weekend. I don't think they are certain about it yet. They cancelled a charity ride that was going to be held on Saturday.

I sure hope GRAYMARE and company are okay! I heard it was 120 degrees in Phoenix today! affraid Yikes.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Ark, you might look into the mini-splits. According to my AC guy, they are less expensive to install and are very economical to run. He SAYS that I could probably heat and cool my house for about $200 per year. I'm not sure how much I believe that, but I'm willing to at least look into it when my current AC finally gives up.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Appraisal came thru for 8000 more than we are paying....i think this means all systems go.......
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Hooray, CB! Sounds good. It will be nice to have an X on the map that says 'home', and a good place for your daughter to live.

A friend came this afternoon so we could work on the machine software. We actually did work on it a little bit, but spent a lot more time just gabbing. It was a good afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 am

CB:
Oh, good. Now we won't have to send you cakes with files in them....Very Happy Congrats on the new house!cheers

ELLEN:
 Coincidentally,  we did get a multi-zone mini-split system made by Mitsubishi.  It's partially installed, but not completely.  Hopefully it will get done this summer.  It's supposed to be very energy efficient.  It has three indoor units and one outdoor unit.  It doesn't have any back up resistance heat, it works down to -17 degrees.   I guess the woodstove will take it from there....but I hope we don't get down to that temperature!  

But our next project is out in the pasture.  The wood for framing the new hay barn was delivered today.  It is going to be behind the arena, forming the north wall of the arena.  It was good they delivered it today, the rain coming would make it impossible tomorrow or for the next few days until the barn lot pasture dries out.    We need it done before the next hay gets put up.  Donnie ran into the carpenters this morning at Lowes and says they are going to come in a couple of weeks.

June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 Donnie10

Donnie and Shadow with the framing lumber.

June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 Shadow10

Shadow at the arena.  The hay barn will occupy 48 feet along the side of the arena with the trees.
No trees will be cut down, but branches will be trimmed up higher than the roof.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 am

The A/C units are in and operating. YIPPPEEEEE It only took 4 days for the contractor to get them in and running. Nothing is easy in this old farm house. Harry also put the furnace in when we bought the place in 93 and he remembers how difficult everything was. I am so loving the units. Quiet and a steady cool that is not concentrated in one area like the old window units.

Today we are off to the Lewisburg Veteran July 4th Parade. Yesterday we washed the truck at 6 AM. It was supposed to rain all day so we got an early start. The newspaper guy stopped and was laughing at us out there so early in the morning working hard. The truck looks super nice It's raining right now, hopefully it stops and dries up before we have to head into town.

Tomorrow is Freedom Fest at church. I'm making deviled eggs and my famous blueberry muffins to take for the tail gate party with our friends, they take their camper so we have shade and a nice place to hang out for the day. We won't stay for the fireworks though, it's too hard on George, too much like a fire fight in Nam.

Have a good weekend everyone. I'll check in next week.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Hey everyone, Jack is now home.  He and Booker (Lori's horse) never had any anxious moments, were great buddies from the start, the moment we pulled the trailer up to the pasture they started "talking."  We kept them in separate pastures overnight to see how they were going to be with each other.  Booker has been so lonely, he tried being friendly to the farm kitties and when that failed he tried the chickens but they just ran and squaked and finally just gave up.  Booker is 16+ hands and Jack is about 15 hh (will get a real measure on him today) so when they are side by side Jack looks like a pony.
CB, bravo, bravo on getting the house appraisal done!!!
TRUDY, loved the pic, so proud of all our vets and what they are doing and have done for our County, thank you and George for all you do and congrats on the ac.  Not sure I could survive w/o mine.
ARK, I know you will love the ac once you get it all installed.  Especially after a long, hot day in the hayfield.  Hopefully with all your and Donnie's hard work you'll have enough hay to not have to buy any.
ELLEN, so glad you and your friends can work out the software for your machine, I am hopeless on the techy stuff.
BEECH, poor pup, porcupines are one thing I do not miss from New Hampshire, skunks are bad but certainly don't inflict the pain of those quills.

Gotta go mow so I can have my horsey time this afternoon, not looking forward to mowing 90+deg and wicked humidity.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey guys & gals..............Here's the news here. I had a stroke, L endarterectomy ,been to rehab and am the same as I was, all in 4 weeks. God & the medical team were great. Of course, my hero Terry, was amazing.

Just thought I'd catch you up. I'll be back.

Love to all. God bless.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Wow, Graymare!  I'm so glad you checked in.  I was getting concerned about you.  Even when you are in the mountains, you usually check in.  Thank God you are doing alright okay now.

Last edited by Ellen E on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 25, 2017 5:13 pm

OMG, OMG, GM, you have to tell Terry to let us know stuff in the future, thank God, medical team and Terry that you are ok.  Strokes can be so very critical (and deadly) w/o immediate intervention (all which you are very knowledgeable about I know).  Bless all involved for your care!  On the lighter side, now we are a matched set, I had right side endarectomy, because of stroke!!!  First time I'd heard of super glue to close incision, another amazing medical feat.  Off to bake a blueberry breakfast cake, then out to comb/brush out Jack's ground length tail with mats and burrs.  He came with them, but no burrs at Lori's place so this won't happen again (hopefully).
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Rose, if you have some kind of oil, maybe baby oil, soak his tail with that and the burrs will comb out very easily. You'll want to wash out the oil, but the oil sure makes the job a lot easier.
I saw a filly that had so many burrs in her mane, it was just one solid knot along her neck. I thought sure they'd have to roach her mane. But they put some old fashioned coal oil on it, and in about half an hour all the burrs were gone.

Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 25, 2017 11:46 pm

ELLEN, please offer up some magic for a tail that is a gigantic knot midway up!!!  No burrs left but his gorgeous ground length tail is in terrible shape and I mean really terrible.  I used massive amounts of Cowboy Magic, and get maybe 3 hairs at a time.  I'm going to continue to pick out 2 or 3 hairs at a time, but Lordy, it will take a year at this rate!  HELP!!!! Sad
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 12:15 am

Hi ... from an OLD FOOP.

During my years of trucking, I didn't get to watch much television and we only got the basic ABC , CBS , NBC and on rare occasions PBS.

Its just been in recent months that we acquired a ROKU and have begun exploring some of the different offerings.  We still do NOT watch much TV except for some of the PBS offerings pertaining to travel.  We try to watch every evening starting with when we settle down to eat dinner.

Does anybody remember watching a series titled HEARTLAND? The setting is near Calgary and centers around a horse ranch.  The program story lines are a bit too "young" (high school) for me, but horses and training, etc. are featured centrally.  There's western as well as jumping and also "fixing" problems.  We are watching this via Netflix that we get with ROKU.

Scenery is gorgeous and animals are all in good condition, etc.  If you need a good horse "fix" and a family fare program with bits of love and romance, etc. ... then I recommend this program.

I've been s-l-o-w-l-y  remodeling my empty horse stalls to make into a woodshed.  We have 4 - 5 years worth of firewood in another shed over on the property we want to sell and I want to get that wood moved here this summer.  Trying to de-construct has not been as easy as it might seem...and construction / remodeling / repairs to building are even slower.  My leukemia ... and its chemo pills ... have sapped almost all my energy.  I can only take mowing grass for about 1 1/2 hours on would be ~4 hours if I could do it in one sitting. And that's about same amount of time I can devote to this project without getting overly fatigued.  Getting old is NOT fun.  ENOUGH complaining .... !!

This past Wednesday, I took Kid Cameron (12 years old !!) and his mom, Miss Jillian down to Wilmington, NC to see the USS NORTH CAROLINA Battleship that is moored there.  She's been receiving visitors since 1961.  I remember seeing her a few years after she first was opened for visitors and Carol and I saw her many years ago (I believe before we moved to NC in 1981).  So this was my third visit.  We enjoyed exploring the ship and learning about conditions onboard during wartime.  The day was a long day ... 530 miles round trip and we spent 2 hours on ship and another two hours in Historic Wilmington. That was when I sat on a shaded sidewalk drinking sweet tea and eating lemon pound cake while Jillian and Cam did some "shopping".  We stopped at a Smithfield's Chicken & BBQ on way back to eat.  This was at a place I'd eaten at (and spent the night in their parking lot) several times when I was trucking. MMMMmmmm GOOOOOOD!!

I hope everybody is having a good summer so far and staying cool. (especially Graymare with those horrendously HOT / high temps she's having).  We are NOW 1 day over the halfway point to Christmas.  So ... let me be the first to say MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all the FOOPS!!

Bye, Ya'll

Rick, Carol and Snoop
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 am

Wow! cheers A welcome stranger is in our midst!! So glad to see you RICK, SNOOP and Ms Carol!
:dance:
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 9:47 am

Rick, we explored that ship a few years ago. We also toured the Yorktown and a couple of others that are permanently parked at Charleston, SC. It really is interesting to see how the sailors lived and worked.

Rose, try the oil on the tail too. Working the oil into the knots might help to make it slick enough to be easier to untangle. Maybe you can pull out 4 or 5 strands at a time. Very Happy Or, Johnsons' No More Tangles might help. It a product designed to make little girls' hair easier to comb through. I sure hope something works. Like you, I'd hate to cut off a long tail because of tangles.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 10:11 am

Rose, armoral works great, when combed out shampoo ...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Geewhilikers GM, glad you are doing alright, i figured you wer off in the mts having fun, staying cool. Glad the outcome was so good.

Rick, i hope you will regain your energy, feel better soon.
Ant believe how much kid cameron has grown and that he is almost 12, wow. 

Waiting to close now....hurry up and wait.....and wait...

Rose, glad you found your horse! You go girl.

Has snyone heard anything about donnas hubby, he was in the hospital last i saw on facebook, hope things go well for him.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey, I feel great CB, no change. I'm weaker so it takes me longer to do things.
I'm stronger each day. Won't ride until fall because of the heat......horses say thank you.
I'm going to hire a trainer for the colt. He is so good but he is a colt so, give him 60 days.

We're going to the mountains after the 12th as I have an appt with the neurologist.
He's a really neat guy. I have amazed him so that pleases me. I was hesitant to tell you guys
so I waited to get home.

ELLEN has her 4th of July party coming up. Have fun.

I hope you get settled soon, CB.

TRUDY, You go girl. George looks great.

ROSE, congrats on your personal Cadillac. You have miles to g o.

RICK, good to hear from you. There are some good shows on Netflix. Enjoy.

BEECH, You're our scooter Queen. Ranger for me, but still have fun. Check in more often.

ARK. Your hay is gorgeous.

Bye for now. God bless.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Hay now, shes gotta share that queen title as i have spiral boom 150 cc now....beech and ellen can be queens, ill be jr. Queen.
Probably wont be settled anywhere, kid is living at the house, we will travel when we can. I want to spend winter in warmer climate for sure.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Hay now, shes gotta share that queen title as i have spiral boom 150 cc now....beech and ellen can be queens, ill be jr. Queen.
Probably wont be settled anywhere, kid is living at the house, we will travel when we can. I want to spend winter in warmer climate for sure.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:51 pm

GRAYMARE:
affraid Don't do that again! No more strokes. I am so glad you are recovering. Just to be nosy, how did you know you were having a stroke? What were the symptoms? I can understand you having your colt trained by someone else. Areion's training by Lori came about after my illness in 2012. I just don't have the energy I had before then and I knew Lori would do a better job than I could anyway. Ivan can probably attest to that, Laughing .
Please keep getting better! wavy And stay cool. The pix from Phoenix of trashcans and road beds melting in the sun are incredible.

ROSE:
I can't remember who posted this recipe, but I have found it works well for loosening and removing burs :
1/3 mineral or baby oil
1/3 water
1/3 shosheen

Shake up and spritz on mane or tail until soaked. Let dry, and then you should be able to gently pull the hair out of the bur.
Good luck!

TRUDY:
Got your photo! Will post it in a minute......

RICK:
What a nice post! I have missed hearing what is going on with you. I am sorry about your illness, I hope the medications can fix you right up. Your trip to see the ship must have been a lot of fun with your daughter and grandson. I cannot believe Cameron is 12 years old. He will be in college before you know it. When is your Alaska trip?

We had a nice weekend. Donnie trimmed Areion, Zippy and Trinket's feet this week. That is a never ending job. Ivan's feet come next. Cactus got done a week or so ago and Daisy goes to Va Tech on July 5th to have hers done. Like I said...never ending job. Ivan will get his x-ray on July 5th, but I actually think he is doing quite well. The lump has reduced in size and he is running around doing his usual antics. I really look forward to being able to ride him again! It's hard to believe that he would be the most stress-free horse to ride around here Laughing . I love Areion, but she is not easy for me to ride yet. No snoozing on her!

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: TRUDY's Parade Truck!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm

This is TRUDY's truck that was in the parade this past weekend:

wavy  wavy  

June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 Trudyt10

wavy wavy
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm not sure ARK, Terry found me (thanks to Rex). He thought I was dead but figured out I was not. I went directly to E R. There they did everything including TPA, and voila, there I was. Then they did the endarterectomy and after that I went to re hab, and here I am.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 pm

You two gals are going to make us look up that big word, arntchas....

When harry had his, he said he just went numb and floaty on his left side....couldnt grasp anything, had trouble walking, not a lot of pain.

We are struggling in the heat, over 100 today....thats usually july or august temp for here, but nope its still june.

Took dogs to park for a walk around 8, try to take them once a day, two dogs a wolf cross and a bigger than normal border collie mix came running into the park, straight for us. Odie, my older bulldog, let the dog get about 2 feet from us and went into a ferocious stance snarling and snapping....couple other people came to our aid trying to chase the strays away. Harry had to hit the one with the end of yoshis leash to get the wolf cross to back off, it looked like the wolf was going to go after harry, yoshi went into his snarling bad dog mode, made the dog back up. Some guy came in with a backpack and walloped the dog, he decided enuf and went running thru the park....yikes. i called dispatch, i was worried about the kids and other dogs in the park, she told me owner was looking, had contacted them. I told her, he better get the wolf quick before someone shoots him....she told me he said its a husky, i told her, ahhno....its wolf cross, which are illegal in city limits. The guy got his dogs, and citation. He will have to move into county or rehome the wolf dog. 
Ive owned wolf crosses, ones i have had were very gentle, loving, got along with the danes, my poodles....but this one i dont think i would have trusted. 
Our boys have let other dogs come right up to them and us, they just got their jowls up about this one charging us.
Thats been our excitement for the month...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 pm

CB, it just seems that some people have NO sense when it comes to controlling their dogs. It's a good thing yours are protective.

This past weekend, my across the road neighbor was mowing his yard. They'd had some dirt hauled in to fill an area along the side of his house. Apparently, a rock or two were lying on top of the grass. I heard the mower hit a rock, followed immediately by what sounded like an explosion. When I went out to look, there was a 3 inch hole in my siding, which is covering solid 1X12 boards. The rock cracked the vinyl siding and went almost all the way through the board. So far, I haven't dug in deep enough to see what made the hole. I suspect it might be buried in the hole. What was sooooo fortunate is that the kids walking up the street to go to the swimming area hadn't gotten as far as my house. If that rock had hit one of them, it would have been a tragedy.
I found a company that still has the siding in stock so I'll go there tomorrow to get another piece. I'm just hoping that it won't have faded so much that the new piece will stick out like a sore thumb.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Oh dear CB, uncontrolled canines, regardless of breeds, are dangerous, very dangerous! Obviously your pup was going into protective mode. Thankfully the dogs were shoed away.
Thanks to everyone on suggested cure for matted tail. ARK, I'm going to keep that recipe forever!
Jack's tail had the worst mat I've ever seen, 12 inches long and about 3/4 inch thick. One of the blogs Lori posts to had a suggestion we'd never heard before, but were desperate enough to try.......with a sharp knife or scissors cut through the mat lengthwise, more than one place if needed, then separate into hunks/hanks and brush or comb out the different pieces. Voilla!!! No more mats and a perfectly beautiful tail, just thinned a bit!!!!! My amazing Jack stood perfectly still for 2 hours with two of us yanking and pulling on his tail! Like a Star @ heaven HIS TAIL WILL BE BRUSHED DAILY, we aren't going through this again!
GM, very wise move having a trainer work with the colt. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2017...Summer time!   June 2017...Summer time! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

June 2017...Summer time!
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next