Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2012

Go down 
+9
sunny 57
silverdancer
cb
Eileen
Carol W
Manygatess
Graymare
Ellen E
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rick Angell

October 2012 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Must see movie / video review. MONARCH OF THE GLEN is set in "modern" Scotland, but deals with "clans", "castles", "kilts", evolving love stories, lots of humorous sub-plots and has some of the finest outdoor scenery shots I've ever seen of Scotland. We have recognized 2 or 3 places that we have actually been to...particularly a small church and cemetery set high on a mountain. A word of warning...This WAS a BBC television series and covered 7 seasons. There is something like 18 discs in the set. We found it in our public library. I give it a 5-star review. GET IT!!

Rick.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Hope the home visit goes well for them Graymare.

CB ... rough trip for you again..... hope this last one can be smoooothhhhh!!!! Good Luck .....

Still down for the count with this cold ... just takes me so long to get better and kick it to the curb!!

Can't think what I am missing, but thinking nice things for all of you.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Carol, feel better soon! My lips are really chapped and sore from the dryer temps...but doing better...when do you leave for AZ?

We had dinner out tonight...first meal since I got here and I couldn't even eat it all...but it is good as leftovers too...so not to worry! I'll enjoy it in smaller episodes..

Am keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth journey home to Idaho to pack more and head back down....

Rick, I'll tell Harry about the movie.

Ol Man, where are you, did you and Virginia drink too much wine!? Very Happy I love a glass of Blackberry Merlot, arbor mist kind..but havn't had any in a long time...will have to get back in the habit....

Hope weather warms up for those who need it...it was tank top weather today! NICE!

Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm

It is a typical fall day here in Ontario. Started out rainy, but the sun came out in spite of the wind and clouds. right now the clouds are winning the battle. Supposed to warm up a tad, no frost here yet but that will come I am sure.
Trying to get all loose ends tied in a neat knot for heading to Tn This time I have a traveling partner that can help with driving as well as map reading although I don't think her expertise lays in the directions and map reading from different conversations I have had with her. We will see. I still got the dog maybe he can help with the map reading. He has no trouble finding a piece of bread with just scent...,it will be interesting,
Hope all is well in Foopville, I must run, I am in town right now, and using coffee shop internet. have a good day all
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Good Luck with your trip Eileen. A little help with the navigation is always nice......
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 pm

On the road again....me and hubby and some doggets named Boo...travelin and prayin we make it back in one piece...just in time to do more packing and head out once again!

Hubby is talking about gardening, growing veggies..I'm talkin (dreaming) of a nice enclosed arena...small one...ok, ifn I'm dreaming go big right! Razz Smile

I check in when I can...and as long as I have battery left...so sweet dreams y'all

Carol hope you feel better! Eileen, safe travels.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am

Pam needs our prayers and support, I read on facebook yesterday that her new horse Rebel has crossed over the rainbow bridge, he had a impaction and then coliced it looked like he was going to recover but he lost his battle and Pam is just devistated, she haden't had him long but they bonded fast and were great together, my heart goes out to her, Sad
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm

I saw it on facebook... Always hard to lose one of our animal babies!!!! Doesn't matter how long we have had them. Hate colic ..... Hugs headed her way.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Rebel........(((((Pam)))))

Eileen
Have lots of fun on you trip!!

CB
Stay safe and keep us informed on how you are.

Rick
I watched several episodes of Monarch of the Glen a few years ago when it was on BBC America.
I really liked it, too.

Gotta go get my finger stuck.....
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Oh no TP....very sad news. May your good memories stay close in your heart.
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm

So sad regarding the loss of a horse, always hate to hear that regardless whether horse, dog or cat or even a goldfish, they are part of our family.
Thanks for the well wishes peeps, will try to keep the shiney side up.
Yes it is nice to have a driver that can spell one off while you take a little nap. I will certainly enjoy it while it is available.
Safe trip Clara, I will say no more 'cause I don't want to rock the boat.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Awww. I'm sorry, Pam. Big hugs to you.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 7:32 pm

taking a break...raining hard....so far so good...

I saw that on Pam this morning...they did bond fast and it will be hard on her...very much so. It's hard on any of us to lose a friend...4 legged or two

ARK, good luck on your finger stick! Hope its all good news.

Almost out of battery..so I'll post when we get back to Idaho tomorrow sometime.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 12:40 am

We made it back and had our showers, load of laundry in, and falling into bed!

We had rain rain rain and thunder and lightning, and flash flood warnings that came over my cell phone...and SNOW in Utah on the hills and mountains...wow..we need to get packed up and hit the roads again before winter settles in!

I40 in New Mexico was so dang bumpy...we hit a bridge and the truck went airborne I swear! and we weren't even going the speed limit! Our sodas in the cup holder went flying and so did the cup holder, it broke and flew into the air! I looked at Harry and he had soda drippin off him and the poor dog was drowned in the stuff....I grabbed the paper towels and dabbed what I could off him! affraid Shocked we just looked at each other like we couldn't believe that had happened! and the dog looked at me like what the heck did you do that to me for! Evil or Very Mad We had to stop and wash and change clothes..they were 32 ounce glasses full of soda, we just had gotten them and we didn't have lids on our own glasses we use, they are heavier than the normal ones you get...and have never even had them spill before...that dang road is BUMPY!

Well, g'night y'all....sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:12 am

Yup CB .. any of those roads that the big rigs use are really bad ..... You just have to go slow because otherwise you bounce down them like a big rubber ball. I don't go through Oklahoma City any more because of them. I cut across Kansas on a nice 2 lane highway .... has its drawbacks too, but not so rough. Good luck with the rest of your trip.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am

we've been on lots of interstates but *40 has got to be the worse. It was bad in OK when hubby was driving over the road several years back.
AZ *40 wasn't bad at all...but we decided not to go that way after our shower, don't want my hosses to injure legs ....when you know its bad, you try to avoid it....and boy howdy that section is downright disgurstingly BAD! Shocked Twisted Evil

on way to livestock auction after picking up Larry...will probably be last time we get to spend time with him for quite some time....so this will be a nice visit, and then Sunday we really start packing things up! woohoo!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 10:44 am

Had an interesting ride yesterday at the Lexington VA ACTHA ride. The day was beautiful, we got there in plenty of time, and Ivan was only moderately nervous. We loaded him up in the dark to get there on time.

The only glitch in our day was at the second obstacle. We had to pull a weighted bag on a rope on a pully up a tree trunk a couple of feet. We did okay with pulling it up, but it spooked Ivan when it made a little zinging noise coming down. He did one of his spin and bolts to escape the monster. I was busy getting rid if the rope in my left hand and lost my balance. I landed on my rump in the grass. My thought as I traveled toward Earth was how we were already disqualified so early in the ride, my second thought was worry over catching Ivan if he decided to take off. He didn't. He spun back around and stood there looking at me. I got back on and we finished the ride and all the other obstacles just fine. The ride doesn't count on our points though.

I am sore but not hurt. It was actually nice ride.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:13 am

Folks...I LOVE ARK with all my heart and soul...but I am having trouble keeping a straight face about her flight from the back of Ivan down to earth after circling the globe 3 times.

I'm just glad she is OK. cheers cheers cheers

Cooler weather is certainly here...was below 50 when I fed this morning.

Hope CB can get moved outta Idaho w/o any more difficulties.

Love to all...Rick & Snoop
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm glad you are alright too! But I bet it did looka bit funny to watch! I wonder how many others had the same problem with the noise! But Ivan was a good boy to stand there for you..that says a lot ARK in your bonding with him. Believe me, I've been left on the trail one tooooo many of a time, by a horse I had just gotten or was trying out....but if you truly bond, it makes such a huge difference

RICK, I so hope our next loads will be uneventful...don't know if my heart can take too much more! We are off to breakfast with Reno and JR and then to get some groceries for this week..and then we should be outta of Idaho! outta of the house....kind of sad and yet looking forward to the change also.
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 5:37 pm

It sounds like the temps have dropped pretty well all over and the theme of the day is rain. It was so nice here this morning, no rain, very warm, got lots of errands done that were outside, got to take advantage of the good weather don't cha know.
I did my laundry early yesterday hung it out on the line and then wouldn't you know...it started raining, it was too late to take wet soggy clothes off the line then, so heck and extra rinse can't hurt...so there they were still on the line this morning, and I straightend some up as the wind had rearranged a few...have not been home for a few hours, and it is raining again...sooooo I guess another rinse and another day is in order...,
Glad to see that Ark is out and about and feeling good again...keep it up.
Clara, glad that you are home too...just in time to do laundry and regroup before next trip...good luck with that one.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 9:13 pm

CB
I do think Ivan is bonded with me. We seem to understand one another pretty well these days. He would have had a thousand acres to charge around in if he had taken off.

All the lessons we took together have really paid off. The best obstacle we did was the fifth one. We had to trot circles around haybales in two directions and stop between two cones. We did the prettiest slow trot we have ever done in public and nailed that obstacle. Too bad the points didn't count.

Rick
Last year at this ride they gave me a blue ribbon for sticking to the saddle, Ivan was a nutcase. This year they gave me a blue ribbon for my flying dismount...the airborn award, LOL. I would love to win a ribbon that was for accomplishing those obstacles painlessly!

Scarlett 1959:
Welcome to the group! Please introduce yourself and tell us all about you!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:46 pm

CB, we continue to pray for an uneventful trip for you. Is this your last trip to Texas for the move?
Is there a house on the property? Are you going to build one?

Ark, it's nice to hear that you had a good ride - except for one obstacle. You're doing better each time you go.

Eileen, when do you leave for TN? If it doesn't rain, you should have some nice riding weather.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:09 am

Ellen, no house down there...we will be living in our 32 foot fifth wheel camper, which I actually like....so it will be our retirement home until we need a new retirement facility for the aged!

Getting things cleaned up and packed...ack...I hate this little piddly chit...Hubby has to load all his tools. What fun!

Yep, Ark, I think you two have bonded...one day you will get that other award...but its nice to know you are loved...and get some award! cheers LOL

Sweet Dreams y'all.
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Ark, you should get a gold medal for not giving up on either yourself or Ivan with history the way it is. Yes we will all expect to hear about the first and seconds and ribbons of all colors next year one step at a time as they say.
Ellen I plan on leaving here right after midnight this coming Thursday morning. That is the only time that I feel comfortable with trailer horses etc going through Detroit, and all of the never ending construction at the Bridge. What a mess but it is the closest crossing...well not the closest, I could do the ferry across the St. Clair river, done it a couple of times but with the lower water levels, I fear of bottoming out with the trailer going onto the ferry, I also have the option of going 60 miles out of my way to cross into Pt Huron, but it adds like a couple of hundred miles of driving through Michigan but I do skirt Detroit and don't mind the drive in the day time. It is a balancing act, as to what you can mentally handle. I go for the midnight express. lol
Clara, can't say it too many times, safe and uneventful trip for you , hubby and goats.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Youhooooooooooo. Hello? I've been riding early mornings so have been outside.......I have a friend that just came over to see how to get to my arena in the back......she is part of the gang but hash 't ridden in about 15 mos and is fearful. She had some blackouts last year and finally figured out she needed a pacemaker...............she is totally healed, rehabbed and ready for the try.
She has old Dobbin, a really great riding horse but she is just not ready to ride out in the mtns yet......she wants to get her sea legs and confidence.........SOOOOOOOOOOO. She is going to trailer here and start riding one step at a time.............when she blacked out, two of the times she was out in the mtns riding so she is gun shy. If nothing else, she will just get some good old fashioned horse time..................

CB, God speed to you & Harry.....post when you can.

Eileen, have a super time on your ride and I would make the same choice for driving.....get over and down the road before daylight.............

ARK......... Razz Razz Razz Let's hear it for IVAN!!!

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 pm

We are still here....until Next Monday...but thanks for the well wishes on the trip.

Eileen, safe travels and have lots of fun and riding!

Graymare, Yay for your friend...I'd be gunshy too....once she is back in her saddle she'll be more comfortable...

Ark, how ya feelin?

I found two lil kitties that crawled out under the trailer today...so they are in a kennel in the house with litter pan...if I can tame them down, can find homes for them....hubby just rolled his eyes and said "sure" and went back outside!

bounce rabbit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2012   October 2012 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2012
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next