Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MAY 2024

Go down 
+2
Ellen E
Ark
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 11:45 pm

Happy May Day!

MAY 2024 Virgin11
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 pm

Happy May 2024!

We are off to take Daisy and Areion to VA Tech for pedicures today. Busy, busy!

KY Derby is this Saturday. Anyone got a hot tip about it?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyWed May 01, 2024 9:29 am

Nope.  The dock still isn't in.  The water has been too high for the whole last month.  Matt has set two different weekends to put it in, but as tall as he is, some places would be up to his neck...  too deep to work effectively.  As of this morning, the water level is down a couple of inches, so maybe if it keep going down we can get it done in the next couple of weeks.  

I hope Donnie is feeling better now.

The picture at the top is a beautiful scene. Love it.
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyWed May 01, 2024 4:52 pm

Happy May Day,

I'm finally rising from the ashes and just letting you all know that I'm alive and kicking (well not kicking). I had my knee replaced and leg straightened out on April 9th and recovering ok. The exercises are killers but a necessity. Finally graduated to a cane today from a walker.

Feeling a lot better that I had been. I can't take any of the pain meds that they want to give you, morphine, Percocet which is oxy-, they all make me really sick so I was relegated to Aleve and Tylenol. I go to physio twice a week and do my exercises home here. I have VON coming three times a week to attend to my dressing, that will soon be coming to an end as staples came out last week and I had a bit of drainage and that is really good now, just a drop. Incision is as dry as a bone elsewhere. I can't drive for at least six weeks so I have to depend on friends to take me places and get my groceries. I tried to get everything stocked up beforehand but you always need cathode, bread and milk!

Hope that everyone is well and enjoying the longer days and the sunshine. We have had wonderful sunny days but not really warm. The sun makes a big difference in everyone's mood though.

I'm expected to get on a zoom meeting very soon but wanted to let you all know that I'm here. I'll try to get back in the next while to see what is what.

Donna

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyWed May 01, 2024 10:10 pm

Hi, Donna! Good to see you! I'm glad to hear that you are on the recovery side of the surgery.
Do you have stores in your area that deliver groceries? Door Dash? Uber Eats? Where I am there are several stores that will deliver for about a $10 fee. The local pharmacy will deliver, too.

I'm doing cardiac rehab. The therapists are kind, not like drill sergeants. They encourage but don't push. Sometimes I think I can start to tell a difference, other days I'm not so sure. I guess two weeks isn't really long enough to make a judgement.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 12:53 am

DONNA:
Good to see you! I am glad your recovery is coming along. I was wondering how you were doing. The first two weeks after Donnie had his right knee done were pretty painful, but he is so glad he had it done. Next one this fall....I think. I am not sure what he would have done without live-in help, though. You must be tough!! hug

ELLEN:
Donnie is doing much better today, nearly normal. He still feels a bit weak, but after a week of little eating and major digestive upset, it is little wonder. He has been doing a lot today and tomorrow we take Annie back to meet with our other sister to go home. Annie wanted to stay longer, but didn't have enough meds to go any longer than this week with her. I was surprised she wanted to stay longer, in the past she couldn't wait to get back to KY. She has been very helpful with the barn this time and didn't seem bored out of her mind with farm life. It's been a pleasant visit.

We took the mares to Va Tech today to get their feet trimmed. The vet was there and wants me to take all my horses totally off grass due to their plumpness. Sigh.... she doesn't live with 5 equines who will be hating me soon. They only get an hour a day of grass as it is, but even that is too much according to the vet. They are surrounded by juicy grass fields and will be kept in the bare barnlot and arena. I see a riot coming on.....

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 7:53 am

Happy May Everyone.

Today is The National Day of Prayer. Please pray for the following.

GOVERNMENT
CHURCH
MILITARY
FAMILY
EDUCATION
MEDIA
BUSINESS

Have a blessed day.

Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 9:39 am

Saturday's Kentucky Derby was amazing. I forgot it was on so didn't see it in real time but even so it was AMAZING! I read an article that was each of the jockeys commenting on how their horse performed. There was only one that sounded like sour grapes. I found it interesting that most of the jockeys sounded like they didn't really think their horse had a real chance at winning, they were just happy that they had the opportunity to ride in the KD and their horse did it's best.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm

It was a very exciting race! I heard there was some question about 2nd and 3rd. I saw the bumping going on during the end of the race, but the stewards didn't say anything. I hope they don't make any changes to final result. It was just a good close race.
The favorite was nowhere to be found. That's why I NEVER bet more than $2 on horses.

On Sunday, the NASCAR race had a very similar ending. The difference between 1 and 2 was 0.001 seconds. The photo showed Larson maybe a quarter of an inch ahead.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyFri May 10, 2024 2:04 pm

We seem to be recovered from our various ailments, although my foot still screams on occasion.  It's better, though.  The vets came this week and gave everyone shots, checked their teeth, and looked them over.  Only Trinket had to have her teeth floated.  A shot of happy juice and she didn't care.  

MAY 2024 Trinke14

We are gearing up for hay season. Donnie is working on the tractor's rake to replace a couple of wheels and then will tune up the baler. The warmer weather has increased the amount of grass growing, so it is a bit early this year.

Just found out our new across the road neighbors with 3 horses and a pony are selling their house. They just bought it last fall. Not sure why they are selling out. Anyone want to be our neighbors? Laughing

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6260-Highland-Rd-Dublin-VA-24084/122673913_zpid/
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyFri May 10, 2024 9:49 pm

How old are Trinket and Cactus Jack? It seems like they have been around for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyFri May 10, 2024 11:46 pm

ELLEN:
 Trinket is 21 and Cactus Jack will be 27 in July.   Both are doing well, although Trinket seems to have some arthritis  and occasional bouts of laminitis.   Trinket is a riot, little but mighty.   She tells Cactus how high to jump.  She is 30 inches tall and Cactus is 37 inches tall.

We got Trinket when she was 3 years old and Cactus when he was 18 months old.  They have been around awhile.  Very Happy

MAY 2024 Trinke15

We can see Northern Lights here in Virginia this evening. Donnie made some radio contacts earlier where he bounced signals off the auroras on particular frequencies. (Not sure of the specifics on this, just that he was thrilled.) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptySat May 11, 2024 7:00 am

Good Morning Foops........

It's a beautiful early morning here in Hebron. I'm going for breakfast at 8:30 with my friend Nancy, this is a community breakfast that is held every month in a French community about twenty minutes from me. I still can't drive so Nancy will come pick me up. Always a great time with the same people every time. Last one till the fall so we don't want to miss. Last month I gave Nancy and Bev money to pay for their breakfast as they were my care givers for a week. I'll sure be happy to be able to drive? It's my right knee so things are slow in that department.

Recovering slowly but surely. My physiotherapist is very happy with me in my progress, Me, I'm very impatient and think I should be going faster. lol!

My housecleaner was here yesterday and I got her to do a lot of out of the usual things that need to be done. Wash all windows outside and in and put in the screens. The black flies are out now so that's. a necessity. Wash all the hardwood floors as my walker was doing a job on them and Fergie's feet added to it. She gets her paws wiped every time at the door but......

Not much new here. The weather has been good, a few rainy days and the rest sunny and lovely. Lawn has been mowed once and another time this afternoon. Trees are all leafing out and my perennials are all up and blooming. Spring is looking good......now if I just could drive!

ARK, I remember when you go both Trinket and Jack. Well maybe you had one before we were FOOPS but it seems that we were there from the first. You would take Trinket in parades with his cute cart.

Have to run. All have a great weekend and Happy Mothers Day, even if you aren't a Mother. we are all Mothers to critters.

My son is coming down on Tuesday and taking me out for Mothers day supper. He was coming today but has a funeral that he forgot he has to attend on Wednesday, both of us will go I guess. I'll go to church if there is a driver that can pick me up.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptySun May 12, 2024 9:16 am

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful women who give everything for their kids, both human and animal. Smile
Back to top Go down
marknsvet

marknsvet

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyTue May 14, 2024 8:58 am

Good morning, my friends!  While I’ve meant to visit you all for quite a while, what’s finally gotten me here is sad news that I thought some here would want to know about.  

Another of the Foops, Rosemary Schaffer, has crossed the bridge.  Her daughter posted on Rosemary’s Facebook page that she had had a heart attack on April 22 and passed away early in the morning on April 24 due to complications.  There will be a celebration of her life on Sunday, May 19, and I am planning to attend.  I believe Stacy is going to try to be there, as well.

The world will be a dimmer place without her, and she will definitely be missed.

sigh…..

I will be back again in the near future to check in with you all and try to catch up.
Blessings & hugs,
svet   Sad

link to Rosemary's obituary
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyTue May 14, 2024 9:34 am

Good Morning All,

I just read Svet's post and can say that I was so shocked when I got the notice on FB from Ariel and Marie, Rosemarys granddaughter and daughter. I had noticed that there was no emails from her for a while and wondered about it but since her other daughter, Shannon, has cancer and was a big worry for Rosemary. I don't know if she ever ventured over to this site Ark and she wasn't one of the original FOOPS so many would not know her. She was a believer that the Lady on the white mare would arrive to take her home, I hope she was right.

It's a beautiful day here and if it wasn't for the damn black flies life would be great!!! I have a machine that really keep them in check but there is always strays ones that escape. They will soon be replaced by mosquitos and those I don't get.

I have physio after lunch today. My Son is coming later today to take me out for Mothers Day supper and then a visitation at the funeral home. I'm not going to the funeral tomorrow a.m. as it's really early and I don't think I would do well sitting all that time through an RC funeral with all the bells and whistles. I would be seized up by the time it was time to get up, lol. It will be nice to have him overnight and maybe two nights to get all the things done that I need finished.

I had a nice Mothers Day, my Grandson arrived for a brief visit and to get something to eat, he was just here on the fly picking up a part for my Granddaughter's husbands company and then bringing it back to Truro for someone to pick it up for Monday morning's work. My Granddaughters both did FaceTime and Cameron (grandson) brought me two huge pots of flowers from him and his Dad. I'm not a Mothers Day fan as you will remember. I'm usually here alone except for friends and no family.

I have already done my exercises and will put ice on my knee now for a while.

Have a great day

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyTue May 14, 2024 11:19 am

SVET:
Thanks for bringing us the news about Rosemary. While I didn't really know her, I have seen her on occasion in different forums. I am so sorry to hear she has passed away. I mostly remember she had a very difficult working life and must have been happy to finally retire. The image of a white mare coming to take her Home is very appealing. I hope it happened for her. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend...

hug

DONNA:
You really stay busy! I am glad your family members checked in with you on Mother's Day. The flowers sound very nice! Since I never had kids and my mother died so many years ago, it is not a day I participate in, but appreciate it for others. I hope you had a good day!
Your knee sounds like it is coming along! You'll be dancing soon!

After 6 months of short arena rides, I finally got to go on a trail ride with Ivan yesterday. We went to Pandapas Pond with a new riding friend. The weather was so great and the flowers were starting to bloom in the forest. Flame azaleas are in bloom, one of my favorites. Ivan was pretty good considering he hadn't been off property since November and got along well with Rocket, the QH gelding we rode with. Good day!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 9:53 am

I'm so glad to see Svet here again. I do hope she'll come back soon.

Donna, other than not being able to drive, how is the knee coming along?

Ark, it must have been nice to ride in the sunshine. I envy that. I did get a pontoon ride with the neighbors on Sunday, but it's sure not the same as being on a horse.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MAY 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2024   MAY 2024 Empty

Back to top Go down

MAY 2024
Page 1 of 1