Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

April 2013

Go down 
+8
Graymare
Ellen E
Manygatess
Rick Angell
Carol W
Indyapp
sunny 57
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

April 2013 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 12:37 am

Rick, a black screen just came up and that's it....I am totally not techy at all! (y'all knew that tho, huh)
Graymare thanks for splainin it! That is funny! I wonder how many adults would even think that...hmmmmm....

Carol, how about ice fishing! LOL I know lots of folks are down about the cold weather...am hoping it gets better for all. I've been sneezin' my fool head off here lately....hubbys' allergies are much better here, and now mine are actin' up...gads! I don't need that.

Let all the doggies out for a run tonight...they had a blast!
We named the Great Dane pup "WhiteDog"...she is a livewire! and growing fast! She has literally torn the bottom out of my screen door, nothing stops her, she goes thru it, over it, under it, digs it, chews it...you name it...she sleeps thru the night tho, and I swear she sleeps sounder than I do! and she looks like she grows more overnight!

Ellen, you should get a video of the duck...that would be so funny...sometimes it is just the small things that make us sit back and smile and just happy to be alive. I love watching Buttercup racing around her pen so fast she'll get dizzy and fall down and just splat...she should have a daisy on her nose and it would look like a cartoon character, I swear! These lil bottle baby goats follow Harry all over the place...they go running and jumpin and bouncin bounce to him! It is just so cute! daaaaaadeeeeeee! they baa... Razz Laughing

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 11:36 am

I guess that opening fishing will by through open holes in the ice. brrrr. I could never see the appeal of ice fishing, even with those fancy shacks.

CB, baby anythings are always sooo cute and so much fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 am

Now we have some flooding. The water level is about 2 feet above normal. I saw a pedal boat floating down the lake that has probably floated off somebody's yard. It stopped against the shore acorss the lake. I THINK it should crest today since we haven't had any rain for 2 days.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi guys...It's still winter here in PA. 23 this morning. BBRRRRRRRRR And the wind, holy moly it has been howling for days on end. On the plus side, the grass is growing and it's time to get out the mowers instead of the snow blower. I hope my lilacs and the apple tree blossoms survive the latest winter attack.

We started our seeds for the garden (in the house) and they are all poking out of the soil. Gonna be a good garden again this year.

On a bad note, I broke my little toe. OUCH...whacked it on the Kirby sweeper as I was hurrying and not paying attention to where I was putting my foot. Darn sweeper, I know it jumped out in front of me. LOL

Last night we went to the ROTC awards dinner for the local colleges. It was amazing to see those kids
receiving their awards. George got to give out a award from The Military Order of The Purple Heart group.

Our pastors daughter lives in Watertown, right where all the excitement was this week. He said she was terrified, hiding in her apartment until the all clear signal was given. What a nightmare we have going on in this country.

I'm hobbling around wearing 2 different shoes, but still getting out of the house, after all it's just a toe. tee hee

Have a great day everyone.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Trudy, glad the pastors' daughter is alright, that was scary stuff going on.
Sorry you are still having winter! I would share my heat and sunshine if I only could!
Those broken toes really hurt! I know...isn't that my job on here to break toes! Razz
That was a nice honor for George to be an award giver....very nice.

Ellen, hope your flooding stays very minor...it sounded like Chicago had a bad time of it. I fear for some folks getting all this snow that it will warm up toooo quickly and cause flooding and lots of it. I hope they stay cooled down for awhile and give that snow a chance to melt VERY SLOWLY.

Well, I know i lost my horse now! GD Brenna was riding her today. Joey the kids' dad hid some things in trees for them to ride thru on trails and find....and she got up to first one, and says I can't reach it...and we told her she had to get Cinnamon to move over....well, the kid leaned down and whispered in Cinnys' ear "will you please move closer" and that ol' horse just sidled right on over to the tree. She did that several times today for her! It left us adults standing with mouths open, and a bit speechless....and with Brenna huggin' on Cinnamon from on top of her and telling her what a good girl she was! Yep, glad I've got Rocky comin' along here for me....guess my old girl has picked her rider. Hubby rode Rocky today and he did great, he crossed logs, and rode up the road with cars passing him...he never flinched....I think I am almost ready to climb aboard and give him a whirl....I'll just have to take a page out of Brenna's book and whisper sweet nuthin's in his ears!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 10:49 pm

CAROL
Really sorry about your weather. I hope spring arrives soon for you! How did Ice do over the winter?

TRUDY
sounds colder at your house than here, it has been chilly here today but very pretty. Our apple tree is putting out blossoms. It frosted last night, but I don't think the flowers are far enough along to be damaged. Congrats to George for the honor!!

SILVERDANCER
Great to see you! When is your next riding adventure? I love the stories of your treks.

SUNNY
How are you and your wheels getting along? Tell us some warm weather news!

Donnie and I have worked our hineys off this weekend and have a ton more to do all week. He is on "vacation" all week so we can catch up on a dozen things. Tomorrow we have 100 bales of hay to bring home and stack. We are putting up our Internet antenna tower, hopefully Tuesday. We worked on the weeds in our hayfield today.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm

I have gotten out a couple of times but the weather has been so iffy that I didn't want to take a chance of getting my scooter wet, that is it's achilies heel, it can't get wet, my dog is upset as every time I go downstairs she goes straight to the scooter and looks up at me like are we going for a walk come on lets go I am ready today is no different it is cloudy and it has rained on and off all night not a lot of rain just sprinkling but everything is wet, I hope tomorrow is better I have a doctors appointment and need to take my scooter with me so I can go to the hospital after to get some records for another doctor who does not have access to the records,so I have to get the hospital to fax them over. other than that nothing much happening around here, most of the snowbirds have gone home except for a few stragglers it is finaly getting quiet here. everybody have a great day and I hope for the best for those who are at risk for and are dealing with flooding hope it gets better soon,
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Sunny, there has to be some way to cover your "dashboard" with something that will keep it dry just in case you are out when it rains...I'd ask at the drugstore...maybe they know of something...or like a Norco store...that has medical equipment? or where you bought it at? Give it a whirl, maybe ya can find something. Good to see you posting too!

I, too, hope those in the flood paths remain safe.

ARK, did you get your antennae up? I know that's something you have been wanting for awhile!

Sunny and partly cloudy and breezy here today....88 for our high. Hubby is out building fence, seems the Paint gelding is getting ferocious over his feed and wants NO OTHER ANIMAL near him! So we will separate the two, so they can both eat in peace, and poor Pally won't get chased around anymore. Poor hubby is always out there doing something! I think he likes it tho!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 pm

CB, it is not just the top of the scooter but the bottom as well there is no cover under the electric motor, the back axel and tires attach to the motor, so if I run through a puddle I could short out the motor there is no way to protect it from splashes from the road and since I paid so much for it I don't want to take a chance,it can't stay this way for long and I will get plenty of time to ride and take Annie for walks, and go places, the motor is sealed but it is not 100% that water won't get to the motor
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 5:25 pm

well that sucks then! Maybe the guys who sold it to you could do something with it to help protect it?

Its warm here today! whewwwwweeeee....

Hubby got the divider fence up so the two newbies can eat in peace and not able to chase each other around....thank goodness for that.

Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Sunny - I hope the weather picks up where you live, I remember how much you were looking forward to getting that scooter and getting around again.

CB - the 'elephant grass' that Zaristo has for his bedding is called 'Miscanthus', I looked it up. Then I went on a couple of horsy websites to see if anyone had used it and what they thought about it. There is not a lot of info, but it is supposed to be less dusty than shavings and is good for deep litter and it composts quickly BUT can have sharp edges - that is what I have found too. Several times I have picked out sharp stalks from his feed trough and that is what has me a bit concerned - is he trying to eat it. Anyway, I will have a chat with the yard owner about it/him.
Glad you got that fence up to separate your two newbies now - that Paint sounds like he'll be a real character.

Ark - I often feel lucky that I'm still fit and able to do all the horse stuff! And Trec is giving us lots of fun although next weekend we will be back doing dressage. We are currently doing well in the Region's Spring League, but with 2 more legs to go the competition is really heating up and we can't afford to miss any or they'll catch up!
By way of contrast, last week and friend and I had the chance to try out some routes through a local landowner's estate, for a competition we are organising in the middle of May.
Now I know that over with you all across the 'Pond', estates are thousands of acres big, over here we talk in hundreds of acres - that would be big. So this was a big one, much bigger than we thought, and we ended up riding about 10 miles plus all the start/stopping/checking our map and compass... and we had not thought to bring any water or snacks. The last mile back to where we left the horse trailers seemed endless, I was soooo thirsty, as was poor Zaristo. That was a lesson I'll remember, be prepared!

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm

oh yes, no matter if its just a short ride, a bottleof water gets popped in the saddle bags and a light wind breaker also..something you can just roll into a ball and crush so I don't have to tie it on the back of my saddle, plus small tube of sun lotion, bug wipes, (for me and horse) and hard candies, lip balm, and neosporin with analgesic in it..for bee stings or cactus bites! some string, tp, small roll of elastic bandage/wrap you can use on people or horses..bute (people can take it for pain, just downsize the dosage)and that's for a short ride! LOL...we go prepared! Been out there one toooo many times without enuf, HUH SUNNY! She needs to tell ya about our ride that lasted 18 hours and the other folks didn't take enuf water so we shared ours,...and it goes down hill from there.....a memory that makes us go prepared now!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 pm

CB
The antenna tower is going up tomorrow! We have the 40 foot lift sitting in our pasture next to the tower base. We drug it home today after hauling 60 bales of hay home on a flatbed trailer. It was ' drag it home' day. The ground is dry enough to drive things in the pasture, finally, but it is supposed to rain Weds. We have to get it done by then. I won't know how to act with a good computer connection.

SILVERDANCER
Except for being thirsty, that sounded like a fun ride! I bet it was very pretty there. Weren't there any streams Zaristo could drink from? Ivan isn't good at drinking from streams yet, he thinks water should be in troughs, LOL. He will play with 'wild' water, but doesn't really drink much from it.

It was a very pretty day here today, but a little chilly. Our grass is really growing fast, so Donnie fixed the lawnmower today. He got half the yard mowed while I cleaned the barn area of today's horsey doo. We really worked hard today! This is our vacation....
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 am

gee, ARK, ya mean vacation is like being retired, seems like there is more to do than hours in the day....
Glad ya got your antennae up...or almost up....geterdone!

All is quiet....hubby has crawled to bed, he really overdid it today....

Our riding group is thinking of riding in a parade this Saturday...we'll see...we're all for it....I like to ride anywhere anytime I can!

Sweet Dreams y'all.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 am

Good Morning all,

Time is getting short for my clinic and I have so much to do. But first I have a FULL day here at the office with a late appointment that won't even start until 5:30, I probably won't even get home before 7:30 tonight. I need to go to the feed mill Wednesday morning as I don't have enough feed to last another 10 days and I'll need to throw down enough hay from the hay mow that my barn help won't have to deal with it. Need to pack the truck and trailer for both me and the horse. All before 2:00 because that is the time I've set for myself to be leaving tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'm going to get it all done, but I'm sure I will. Weather isn't expected to be so great tomorrow nor Thursday. I had really wanted to be able to wash Tiberius' tail before leaving but I don't think the weather is going to cooperate. Clinic starts at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday and runs through Sunday afternoon. I is going to be one tired puppy by the time it is over, but I expect to have a lot of fun and learn alot. No one is going with me so I'm not sure what kind of pictures I'll be able to get, but camera is going along anyway.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

have a great time Indy! hope you can get some pics would love to see them Safe travels and fun clinic!

ARK, does that mean I can send pics again for you to post for me? huh huh?

It is COOL here today! yesterday it was 90, today barely 60 and windy....the dogs are saying, "hey, who turned the heat off".

We are enclosed today watching tv! Best thing to do for old folks on a windy day!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

This is a really neat video. It took the guy a long time to finally get this recorded.
http://vimeo.com/58385453
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 am

CB
The tower is up! It was a long day and Donnie spent most of it on a 40 foot lift that had me fairly scared a few times. That will be the only time we rent that thing! Now the ball is back in the Internet provider's court, he has to put the antenna onto the tower. So I can't post pix yet, unless they are already on ImageShack, but soon!!! I have pix of Donnie up in the air on that lift. He had a great time, he loves anything having to do with making antennas...

Ellen
I watched that video on my iPod, a tiny screen, but it was still spectacular!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Ark, I know that you are going to be sooo excited when you finally get your internet on the tower. You'll be like a kid with a new toy. Donnie will be excited to get his ham radio going too.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 pm

ELLEN
Yep, Donnie will enjoy the ham radio aspect of that tower! He has been digging a trench for the power line to the tower today. I will enjoy the Internet connection the tower will bring!!!!!!

Ivan and I had a very fun lesson today. We jumped the foot high jump and did a bit of cantering. We opened and closed three different gates. Ivan was fun. I love it when he goes along with the plan!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:58 am

Yay for Donnie and ARK....

Ivan sounds like he will make a great trail horse, you two have a great bond.
I hope Rocky will be like that with me...we'll see. Hubby will take him to the state park trails this weekend again to see how he does, and if he does alright, then the next time we go, I'll be on his back. Right now we are taking it slow and building his experience out there

Weather is humid today..and cloudy...but warm.

Where is everyone? Yoohoooooo!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 pm

well, I survived the mamogram yesterday but just barely, they had a hard time positioning me to get the pics, my head does not turn, nor does the rest of me to well, but the technicians were good and figured out how to get it done, then it was off to get the bone density test that for many would just be a piece of cake but not me, I can NOT lay flat on the table they had to hold my legs down and I was just about in tears by the time it was done and for the rest of the day my legs wanted to cramp up on me and was painful, hope I don't have to have another one any time soon but I did survive and now on Monday it is off to the Urologist finaly I have only needed to see one since December but have been unable to find one that took my insurance so at least I will find out how bad it is or that I am clear of stones.

well, our weather has been staying in the mid to upper 80's daytime and the mid 60's at night
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm

OUCH, that would hurt! Eat a bananna may help the legs, they stretched those muscles, and the potassium may help some. I didn't even think about your having to lay flat. Bu t its done now, thank goodness. Sorry about the mammo too...but I got this lightbulb going off about techs having to position "everything" just right...and I had to chuckle! sorreeee! I just go in there and plop 'em on the plastic thingy and we are off...nuthin' to it! tongue Razz I know some people say its the worse thing for them to do...and that I can sail right thru, but show me an IV needle...and I panic just seeing it! I have a phobia for them. No Shocked pale

It's warm here today...whew...

Lots of purple and yellow wild flowers out and peoples roses in their yard are just beautiful...rich colors...

Guess we are scratching the parade, and going trail riding instead...tomorrow. Either will be fine, I just want to ride
Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:05 pm

my daughter and gr. daughter"s are comming over to swim my oldest Sunrise is practicing for swim team at school they only give them a couple of weeks to practice before compitions so she is practicing here as my pool is at least olympic size or bigger her mom and dad bring her and my youngest gr. daughter comes along to learn swim team as next year she will be on the team also if she can get good enough at it by then her sister is teaching her and is real patient with her they come over every friday as long as the weather holds up and no thunder boomers in the afternoon as is the norm in the summer here from June to November is our rainy and hurricane season also
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 5:09 pm

SUNNY
I am glad all those procedures are over!.....(gentle hug).....hopefully they all turned out well. How is Kent doing these days?
Spring has sprung here very nicely now. Tulips,dogwoods and daffodils are blooming everywhere. Your pool sure sounds nice! Have fun with the grand kids!

We have been in town taking down an older guy's ham radio antennaes. He has been put into a nursing home and his daughter and son need the antennas down so they can get his house ready for sale soon. Taking down antenna towers takes almost as much time as putting them up. We've got one tower down and the antenna off the second tower. That one is somewhat dangerous, so we are creeping along dismantling it carefully. This week has been the week for towers.

CB
What kind of parade are you not going to? I would love to do a parade with Ivan, but don't know if either of us would live thru it. Kazi has been led thru a couple and not freaked, but Ivan is a more hyper bird. I am thinking of taking Ivan to a local horse show at the end of May tosee if we'd do better than we did last year. We are trotting much better now.

INDYAPP
I hope you and Tiberious are having a great time this weekend!!! Pix!! Details!!!

GRAYMARE
What have you and Grace been up to? Is she in foal?

CAROL
I feel guilty everytime I mention decent weather. Has your weather improved yet?

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Yes .. we are getting a few days in the 70s before it goes back in the tank ..... but,I just STINK like a horse right now ..... LOL Ice is happy too as is Midge..... Just worked on trying to get him cleaned up a bit today .... will ride him tomorrow dirty or not. hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2013   April 2013 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

April 2013
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next