Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2013

Go down 
+8
silverdancer
Ol'Man
Manygatess
Carol W
Ellen E
Graymare
cb
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

September 2013 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 12:50 am

Ark, wear a mask so ya don't inhale the powder....

and of course we will need pictures.

Had a bad day today....The dogs decided they wanted goats for dinner.....I have to send my 3 danes to the dane rescue and then the neighbors chickens went strolling and my one male doxie Bozo decided he liked chicken....not a good day. I told the neighbor I'd replace the chicken even tho it ws on my side of fence....he is going to the doxie rescue. My hubby is livid...believe me its hard thing for me to do, but better than his shooting them, I cant deal with that. Talking to the rescue tonight...mking plans to take them to San Antonio....not a good night here in our household....and to top it all off hubby re injured his knee...it looks bad....he was trying to pull them off the goats...One goat gone....this is the second time....the babies that he was bottle feeding, the danes got too....I have NEVER had problems with the danes doing this in all the years of owning them (since 81) and we have had goats and danes all this time. I don't know why now....but I can't take any chances with show goats on both sides of us, and kids around....and besides, hubby has put his foot down on this.....doesn't do that often. sigh...Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 2:25 am

that does not make any sence those dogs were raised with goats, I am so sorry that you have to send them away but it is muchbetter than having trouble with a neighbor or Harry shooting them, BIG HUGGS and thoughts comming your way, and prayers to Harry that his knee is not too badly hurt and can heal without surgery,
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 10:36 am

Aww, CB, that's a really hard thing to do. But with new homes and separated from one another, they should be great dogs for somebody. You've raised them well.

Ark, those white tutus should be very interesting when you finish. Laughing 

My cousin has a brand new grandson arriving today. If you have time for prayers for a healthy birth, it would be greatly appreciated. This baby was VERY HARD to conceive so healthy would be a super blessing.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 12:31 pm

CB .. sorry to hear about your dog problems ..... I have heard of danes changing like that before. Sure can't figure the doxie out ..... You sure can't take a chance with that kind of behavior though. Sorry you have to give them up as I know you love them. (((( ))))

Ellen ... prayers for the baby to arrive safe and sound!!!!

Sunny cool day here. Definitely fall!!!!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Ellen, prayers for a healthy baby, with no problems at all, glad you are getting fall weather, are the trees turning yet? I do so miss the changing of the colors of the leaves, we don't get that here much, most trees here grow all year so are green
If anyone can, would you please get some pictures of the leaves and the trees,
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Oh CB, ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))). Prayers for good homes for your dogs and prayers for both you & Harry as you go through this.

ELLEN, prayer for your new baby arrival......let us hear.

ARK, oh gads can't wait for the pics............you & ANNIE will have a great time.

CAROL, hope you had a great ride yesterday.

SUNNY, hoping all is going well for your car mess and for your trailer.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 8:33 pm

The baby arrived this afternoon, a little after 2:00. Things were a little tense for a while, but at 8 pounds and 1 ounce, and a head full of dark hair, he and Mommy are doing fine.
Thanks so much for your prayers.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Ellen, so glad Mom and baby are doing fine! But ouch! I know that feeling, Jaemi was 8.5 lbs....oooooh boy.....need a pillow to sit on for a few days let me tell you! Tell them to pamper Mom a lot!

We are taking two of the danes to Boerne Tx tomorrow...Buffy and Splotch are being fostered by a lady vet, Jo Ellen.....they are lucky dogs.....she says she may just keep them they are so pretty, and she has no goats or cats! Sounds like they will have a good home. We are keeping White Dog for a while longer until the right foster home opens up....Its hard, but have to do it to keep peace. I'd rather get rid of the dang goats. I had Buffy since she was 8 weeks and Splotch is a pup of hers ....altho he is a big boy now. Guess I just have to cowgirl up.

One nice thing is our weather only in the 80's and lots lower humidity...yay....

Hope everyone has had a good weekend....
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 11:40 pm

CB:
I am very sorry to hear about your dogs. I suspect individually they are great, but pack mentality took over and got them in trouble. Will you have any danes left?

SUNNY:
Our leaves aren't turning yet, but it won't be long. It has gotten down into the high 40s at night a few times, but back up around 70 during the day. No frost here yet.

ELLEN:
Congrats on the new baby! The family must be thrilled! :dance:  What is his name?

GRAYMARE:
Annie can't wait for this 5K race that they throw colored powder on everyone. She is sooo ready, Laughing . We are going to wear bandanas around our necks and put them over our nose and mouth during the times the powder is flying. The powder is colored cornstarch. We will take before and after pix.....

Donnie went online and found a do-it-yourself stinkbug trap and made it. The commercially available ones have terrible reviews, so he is trying this one. The stinkbug war is on. I think he is trying to preserve my sanity because he knows I get a terminal case of the willies every time I see one. He caught about 100 of them today.....If we can keep them from getting in and wintering over, I will be a happier camper. Our other option is to move out of the state. No 

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 8:01 am

CB: AAAWWWWWWW that is just too sad about your Danes. Sad  Wonder what made them turn on the goats like that? Poor goats. At least the vet will give them a good home and you will know they are taken good care of. Hope Harry's knee isn't too boogered up after the big fight.

ELLEN: Congrats on the new baby in the family.

ARK: WOW Areion is really getting it. She is going to be a great trail horse for ya. She seems a little calmer than Ivan. Good luck with the stinkbugs. They a big pain in the butt, moving won't help, they seem to be everywhere lately. Have fun in the run.

SUNNY: Our leaves are turning like mad. By next week, we should be into a colorful fall.

BEECH: Thanks for the non peeling apple tip, I've been a applesauce making fool. Today will be the last batch (I hope), then the deer can have the rest of the apples. There was a doe standing in the yard eating the apples yesterday afternoon. Ace was SOOOOOOOO mad, those are his green balls to play with and she was eating them. LOL He actually picks them off the tree and makes us throw them for him. What a nutty doggie he is.

Today is the day to start to tear the garden apart and get the soil ready for next spring planting. Tonight the MOPH monthly meeting and dinner. No cooking tonight. YEAH...

Have a great day everyone.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Is that throwing powder anything to hurt the eyes------???

CB ask Harry if he had a hard time climbing an 9 inch fence post about 4 feet high and standing up on it' We were bout 12.

Also when they were making apple butter? one neighber used a great big kettle and we would line up holding our biscuits ---was that apple sause or apple butter?????
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Ol Man, it was apple butter. My mom use to make it all the time. I remember walking the edge of the boards between those fence posts! and falling off a lot and gettin' splinters where I didn't want them!

Well, we drove all the way to outside of San Antonio today to take the dogs to their new homes/owners....got all the way there, and I started bawlin like a baby....hubby got all upset ad said "just put them in the car and lets go home".....whewwwwww.....it was a nice drive. I feel much better. On the way home we stopped and stuffed a roll of fence and fence posts in the trunk for making a bigger dog yard for those two. They won't be out unless we take them out of a leash or for a ride in the car. The goats need to roam and keep up with the grass and weeds for now. At least I know where they are....and how they are....They were very good on the way home. Poor Splotch broke out in hives when we got there, craziest thing I ever saw. The vet there never saw a dog with hives like t hat....he knew something was going on. As soon as we headed for home they started going away.....vet said he'd probably be fine in a few minutes....he broke out in about one minute flat! He's fine now, and so am I.

What a day. There are a lot of hunting preserves out this way. We saw orecks today and lots of deer....and I've never seen so many turkey buzzards as they have here! WOW
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 am

CB: That is great news. So much for dumb animals huh? I swear our animals know so much more than we give them credit for. Splotch just KNEW something bad was happening to him.
Give Harry a big old kiss from me for changing his mind about the doggies. You'll have to be ever vigilant now with them when they are outside.

We are off to Wilkes Barre this morning to see the service office with the DAV. George received a letter from the VA saying he wasn't wounded in the head. Needless to say, he is pretty ticked off, since he has a copy of his medical records from Nam, that clearly says wounds to his shoulder, head, ear, arm & hands. Go figure.... They want him to send a letter saying he will NEVER file an appeal with the VA. Yeah like that is going to happen...The government hard at work, screwing the Veterans.

Have a great day everyone..
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:10 am

TRUDY, I can't believe how our veterans are treated...........both by Congress and by the citizens. Dear God, help our country.

CB, glad you have a plan and that you get to keep your dogs.

I had a very busy day yesterday. I had fun at the grocery, tho. Lyle. My friend Lyle is "one of the people in my neighborhood". He sacks groceries, offers to take your groceries to the car, stocks, and brings carts in from the parking lot. He's 85, a happy friendly worker and still lining up and pushing all the carts in, even at 112 degrees. In his offtime he is a fisherman. I'm always amazed. So, over the years I have chatted w him many many times. Each time I don't see him, I worry as he is an icon so to speak. It's funny how ordinary people doing extraordinary things are fun to be around. He told me he had some kids busted for parking in the store handicapped spaces................the police eat at the Subway right two doors down and he fetched them out to wait for the kids. I wish I could have seen it.

That's my happy day story.............

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Good one Syd!!!!

CB .... glad you came up with an alternative solution. My friend Pat has a boxer who bit someone and got a reprieve, then bit someone again. Chuck said he had to be put down. Of course Pat was devastated but they decided as long as he was kept in the fence and only taken out on a leash they would let him be. He is an older dog and the thought was that he wouldn't live that much longer anyway. HA he has plenty of issues, but still kickin..... they are very diligent about it.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 8:39 pm

This little girl has a HUGE talent.
http://www.staged.com/video?v=NtK
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 11:11 pm

ELLEN:
That little girl sure has a mature singing voice! very pretty.

OL'MAN:
I will be wearing goggles to keep the powder dust out of my newly minted eyes! Cool  I also wear them down to the barn, I don't seem to see up close as well and have to keep hay and such out of my eyes while cleaning the barn. My blink response is slow.

CB:
I hope the dog situation works out.

CAROL:
Did you go riding?

Anyone watching Breaking Bad? One last show next Sunday and it is over. whew! What a mesmerizing series it has been.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 8:40 am

The new baby is doing much better. His numbers are coming up and they've turned off the lights for the jaundice. He will probably go home on Friday. Mommy and Daddy are doing well.

Not too much going on around here. Fall is here and the leaves are starting to turn, but we are having a stretch of really great weather. I think the jetski might get some exercise later this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Well, we have been crazy doing fall chores.........we have as many inside as we do outside.

I tore up the T V room to clean every inch & shampoo the carpeting............it's just time and it will then be brand new feeling again.............I boxed some stuff for a garage sale next mo.
Anyhow, I had some lamps that I love and now have a plan..........I'm painting them a hammered copper as I found some really sharp copper shades for them.............then I'm making new blind light stoppers for the small windows on the doors..........I'm just in the mood for some re do's, furniture moved all around etc............

Friend called. Faith is on her way home........lol, for real. I'm busy tomorrow morning so will go early Sat morning and pick her up at their house.........her home here is so ready. Her mama feed is in the bin, her vitas, her fence buddy is waiting................I'm told she is one chubby mama.............
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 1:12 pm

wow, sounds like you realy are in a cleaning mood, wish I could clean this little place from top to bottom but any more it is a struggle just to get around, the insurance company still has not re-embursed me for my scooter trailer they are stretching it out to the very end, even though the accident was not my fault I feel that I am being punished, very frustrating, and they are doing it within the law so right now there is nothing I can do about it to speed up the process, my insurance company is trying to collect on my behalf in hopes of that speeding up the process, I sure hope so, got my fingers and toes and eyes crossed,

that is great news about Faith comming home soon, bet you missed her, can you get pics so we can see her baby belly and from the sounds of things you are healing great and ready for Faith and upcomming foal, good luck on all of it and enjoy faith
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Busy day yesterday!  Ivan and I had a really nice lesson.  He was so agreeable and it was fun.  Areion had a fantastic lesson! cheers  Lori had Areion trotting around the arena like she has done it all  her life.  She was so mellow and seems happy to have joined the working horse crowd.  Her directional control is improving greatly and she was trotting consistently at the same pace that Lori asked.  It is a joy for me to see Areion doing so well. sunny 

Then Jane the endurance rider brought her Arab gelding, Albert, over for a lesson with Lori after Areion's was done.  Albert has to be the most mellow Arab I have ever met.  Nothing much bothers him.  He hadn't been ridden all summer due to an injury, but remembered his previous lessons just fine.   He seems much lazier than Ivan or Areion, but that isn't entirely a bad thing.  

While lessons were going on, Annie got to babysit Toad, Jane's English bulldog.  Annie is in love Laughing .   Tomorrow Annie is in a 5K race in Radford, VA, along a river course.   She is looking forward to it.  I am looking forward to not being in it.....

I had 100 bales of hay delivered this morning and have another 100 coming on Sunday.  I will be done with procuring hay for the year. :dance: 

GRAYMARE:
 How about some before and after pix of your lamp project?  Sounds like fun.  I will be glad when Faith gets home so we can hear more about her and her 'delicate' condition!

SUNNY:
  I hope they settle your case soon.  It really seems a long time for something with such an immediate need like your scooter's carrier.  

ELLEN:
 Sooooo, what is the baby's name?  I am glad to hear he is doing better.  That must have been scary for the family.

BEECH:
 Your new avatar is installed!  Now how about a post so we can see if it works for you....Very Happy 

September 2013 - Page 5 Beecha13
Beech's New Avatar! Cool
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 6:08 pm

ARK, great going for you.............I'm glad it's all going so well for you. I love it that Annie got to be in charge of the dog..........I'm sure she did love that.

There is nothing delicate about Faith.......born on a huge ranch in Evanston, WY running the range w her herd of 50 mamas until 2 1/2.............She's a great mountain horse.

One thing I know............she can tell me all I need to know in the absolute outback..................plus she can sure push cattle around.............my lucky day when she came to live here.

Anyhow, naturally I'm way excited to see what we get in Feb..........she will have the vet next week for rhino shot etc............plus vet loves her so just wants to come over.................LOL
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Beech, you look great on your 'bike'. I'm glad you shared a picture with us.

Ark, next year is going to be a really fun summer with two horses to ride on trails. It's been interesting to hear about Areion from conception to working horse.
Do you think your experience from this summer of making hay will help you get enough off your own fields to get all you need next year? (That is, assuming good growing weather.)

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Way cool picture Beech....love it.

Hopefully, here are the lamps w the first coat..................

September 2013 - Page 5 407662084
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Oooo. Neat lamps! Nice going.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:14 am

ELLEN:
Eventually we will be able to raise enough hay, but it will probably take a few years of improving the soil and reseeding and de-weeding before we have enough. When we bought this property 15 years ago we got around 1200 bales (and only needed 300). Now we need around 900 or so and the land only produced about 600 this year. We have started composting the horse manure to boost the soil, but it will take awhile before we have enough. It should keep us busy for awhile.

I have really enjoyed the entire Areion project, from the time I bought Kazi with the plan to breed her. Areion is really turning into a nice grown-up horse. I need to get a lot better at riding to come anywhere near her potential. I was going to get a photo of me sitting on her this past Thursday, but Albert and Jane showed up a little sooner than expected for their lesson. I might get it next week. I don't plan on doing any riding to speak of until Lori says it is okay. Having her train Areion was a very good idea.

GRAYMARE:
I like the lamps! Looks like a fun project. What kind of shades are you getting?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2013
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next