Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2013

Go down 
+8
silverdancer
Ol'Man
Manygatess
Carol W
Ellen E
Graymare
cb
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

September 2013 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 pm

CAROL:
Hope you had a fabulously calorie-rich, intensively fun birthday!!! :dance: 
I am glad to hear you and Ice are getting some rides in, too. wavy 
BTW: It would be great to see your apple crisp recipe.....

BEECH:
I will try to find a Foley machine. Our apples are finally petering out a bit. The deer and horses will sure miss them! So after you make the applesauce, how do you preserve it?

GRAYMARE:
I am hoping Areion will be a fun ride! She sure looks fun from the ground Very Happy . I will take lessons on her when Lori thinks the time is right.

CB:
Congrats on selling the two pups. I am sorry to hear about the health problems of the one you love......

ELLEN:
Good health news: My bloodtests are all normal, my blood pressure is normal and I can get off the meds, and even my cholesterol is much lower! The doctor says that unless I manage to poison myself again, I should be safe from TTP. wavy  I am off all prescription drugs and am only taking supplements now. Thanks to all here who sent good thoughts and prayers to help me along last year, it really helped!

Well we got 34 bales of hay off the upper field, its third cutting. It has been so chilly and cloudy, it took longer to dry than we expected. We aren't going to cut anymore, we'll leave the middle field growing for winter pasture. We just started loading the hay into the truck when the brake line broke after Annie drove the truck for about 50 feet.affraid  Luckily, it wasn't pointed downhill....it could have been a very bad situation. I had just driven it into the field and had traveled downhill before Annie got into it.

Our neighbor, the marathon runner/farmer guy, brought over his little mini-truck and two sons and helped us get the hay to the barn. He just ran a half marathon on Sunday at the same event that Annie ran the 5-K race, and was 31st out of 1075 half marathon runners! Anyway, the poor truck is still in the field.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Ark, what wonderful news for you!!! I am so happy to hear that.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 1:39 am

We're all grateful for such good news ARK!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 10:54 am

yea ark,wavy  way to go glad it is all better and you are healthy, we are getting ready for some cool down for a few days and rain in buckets starting sunday if the weathermen are right, tropical disturbance in the gulf, we need the rain, other than that it is quiet, all have a great day
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

GREAT news Ark .... that was a scary situation for you ..... glad all is well now.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 4:58 pm

BEECH: OK Today I made the applesauce by leaving the skins on the apples. IT WORKED...I'm in shock..LOL LOL The Foley food machine really does work well. I haven't had time to get over to the Amish store yet to get one of my own. Maybe next week I'll have time to go all the way over there, then I'll let ya know what their prices are.

ARK: I freeze the applesauce. Just put it in freezer bags or containers. I freeze everything outta the garden. GREAT news about your test results.

GRAYMARE: We found a loose Basset Hound running around here awhile ago, caught her and put her in the pen, she barked a LOT...she was still barking when her owners showed up to get her. Our Beagles OMG they never stopped barking and howling at every little thing that moved. I didn't feel bad when Rick took them down to his farm. They would wake me up in the middle of the night and they were down in the barn. I know our neighbors were happy when they left here.ClappingHands  LOL

We took our snow blower (yes I said snow blower) over to the repair shop to get her ready for winter. Got the push mower fixed and will be taking the DR Trimmer there too. Gotta get these things fixed before winter gets here.

Went to the Library and got library cards, so we can read a lot come winter.

Tomorrow hopefully we can get the painting finished. Time is flying by this September. It's almost October. WOW
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Trudy, did you know you can borrow books for a Kindle? Amazon has books to lend. They show up on your Kindle for a couple of weeks, and then disappear. Local libraries also lend Kindle or Nook books. Our little bitty local library offers the service. If it does, almost any library can. Believe me, it's small. Small but very nice.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Rick's Pix   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Here are some photos RICK sent to have posted...and his commentary Very Happy . He'll have to post more about them......RICK?

these photos made while we were doing our bike ride around the little Danish island of Aero.  Don't ask me how I learned that the electric fence wire (as seen in #5 picture) would 'bite' me....Laughing !  Please post these for the group to see.

September 2013 - Page 4 Dfto.th  September 2013 - Page 4 3dg6.th  September 2013 - Page 4 35yn.th

September 2013 - Page 4 2wmx.th  September 2013 - Page 4 Pbz5.th
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, darn.  The second photo doesn't want to show up, RICK.  Don't know why....It shows mostly the same view as the first and third photos.  It might appear later, I have had that happen before.  So did those ponies speak your language? Laughing 

TRUDY:
 Thanks for the info about applesauce!  I need to get a freezer.  I do wish there was a way to preserve fresh, whole apples.  I like those the best.  Good luck with the painting!

ELLEN:
 I love my Kindle!  I sometimes find freeby books that authors want readers to get hooked on and then buy the sequels.  It works occasionally, but sometimes I am just happy not to have spent any moola on it Laughing .   I saw that the Kindle Fire is now on sale for $159, down from $200.  Must mean they have something new coming out soon.  

SUNNY:
 It has been chilly here for several days.  Thankfully our work in the hayfields is over for the year.   Now we have to get our firewood pile made. It's always something....Rolling Eyes 

Here is a photo of Farmer Donnie doing his haymaking thing yesterday.

September 2013 - Page 4 7ps2.th    September 2013 - Page 4 Vya9.th
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 7:45 am

ELLEN & ARK: Yup, I do know about the Kindle. My kids have been trying to get me to use one for years. I am just old school and a bookworm, I like to hold the books in my hands. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. LOL There is just something comforting about a curling up with a good book & a cuppa tea..

I found one of my favorite barn kittens dead yesterday, actually Ace found him laying under the hayloft steps. He must have fallen off and hit his little head on a brick that was laying there. AAWWWWWW Poor little guy.

My friend Barb said I could keep her small Foley food mill, so I don't have to make a trip to the Amish kitchen shop. YIPPEEEEEE Making more applesauce tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day everyone...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 am

Ark, have you seen BookBub? It is a site that will e-mail you about free and bargain priced books. Once you sign up, they will send you an e-mail everyday that points out either free or bargain priced books. Some of them are new releases, and will only be on sale for that one day.
Trudy, I love my Kindle for reading, and wasn't sure I would. But then, I love gadgets. For one thing, it's so easy to slip in a purse to take with you. I started with the basic Kindle, then bought the Kindle Fire. I kept the first one too. It's easier to read outside with no glare or reflection on the screen. It doesn't have it's own light, like the Fire does, so the Fire can be read in the dark.
The Fire works a little bit like a Fire so anyplace I can tap into wifi, I can get online - to read what's going on here. Smile 

I'm off to stay with Little Miss Scarlett this morning. At about two weeks from being 2, she's learning new words at a rapid rate, some of which come out to be funny.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 10:43 am

well, I am still having issues with the explorer, but the owner said that if his mechanic finds the problems that I stated to him he will fix them at no cost to me, so I will be happy with that, the car is nice on the inside, the carpets look like new and the seats are great,,so once we get it mechanicaly safe I will be good to go. still waiting on the insurance company to re-emburse me for my deductable and the money to replace my scooter trailer that could take awhile so I have to be patient, but I realy want to be able to get out of here and do things that right now I am unable to do, so for now it is boring, to humid to be out during the day just one more month and the drier air will arive with lower temps and can open the windows
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 am

I saw a good one yest:

HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS. TEXT WHILE DRIVING IF YOU WANT TO MEET HIM!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks ARK for posting the pics for me.

It was on a portion of the bike ride described here that we passed the horses.  The level of the road was about even with the top of the fence.  This perspective made the horses appear more 'pony' size than they really were.  I'm guessing in the 15 - 16 hh and a healthy 12-1300 lbs weight.

Here is a link to info about this charming island.  It was from this article and a video by Rick Steves that inspired Carol to want to do a bike ride.  For a bit there, I thought my old nemesis JINX was with us as I got a flat tire on the rental bike.  I'll tell more of that [b]story[b] when I start writing a travel blog for here.

Miss Carol just completed her work project of adjusting/tweeking her many pictures and sent them off to Snapfish for printing.  She [b]only[b] sent in 1765 digital pics out of well over 2000 pics made.  These 1765 will be used in her scrapbook volumes about this trip.

Our love to all, Snoop, Carol, and Rick
[/b][/b][/b][/b]

Last edited by Rick Angell on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Sorry about all the bold print above...due to dumb and clumsy me. Here is the promised link:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/scan/aero.htm

rla
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Snoop's new & improved ITALIAN PASTA DIET...it REALLY works!!
1. You walka pasta da bakery.

2. You walka pasta da candy store.

3. You walka pasta da Ice Cream shop.

4.. You walka pasta da table and fridge.

You will lose weight!

Snoop
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 pm

ARK, that is good good news!

Rick, that's funny!

You girls doing this apple sauce and stuff....when you keep saying foley mill, I keep thinking of my nursing days and using a foley (catheter) sorry!Rolling Eyes Razz  We would just say "foley" and everyone knew wht we were talkin' bout!

Hah! One of the ladies that bought a pup said the pup was sick, maybe parvo, I didn't think so....vet got results back and said no parvo.....took pup bck in today and I went with the ladies daughter, since Mom was away...vet said it was a small parasite, and I asked what kind, so we did a stool sample/slide...nothing there....then I asked for an exray, and there it was, a small metal bead that he had eaten and it was irritating his stomach and intestines, a strong laxative later and out it came! walah! Pup is fine. He gave us a discount on the bill, and said if I hve more pups for sale I could give him as a reference....he's never had an owner/breeder come in and back their puppies like I did I try...they are my babies, and I try to keep them healthy. The vet will be doing my coggins on Monday....found a vet here! yay! Not quite the wy I expected.....but found one!

Raining here just steady downpour, puppies are inside, not taking chances....everyones' tubs and tanks are overflowing....MUDDY....but oh well....not going to complain after what those poor folks have gone thru in the floods....wow...I feel for them.

Stay dry y'all.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 pm

LOL

MARINE CORP EXERCISE REGIMEN FOR PEOPLE OVER 60

For those of us over 60 – this is a great exercise regimen – for you young’uns out there (under 60), just keep it in mind until you reach that magic 60 number!

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room on each side. With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides. Hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags. Then try 50-lb potato bags, and then eventually, try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm currently at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Now THAT'S my kind of exercise. Laughing 

I dare you to not tap your foot while you watch this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=-iP27eatYxE&feature=share
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Grat shot Mz Greymare8) 
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 pm

well, we are finaly getting a taste of fall, this morning the air was dry, cool, and had a crispness to it, I will enjoy it while it lasts as they are calling for rain this weekend, a system brewing out in the gulf, have a great weekend all, hug 
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 pm

SNOOP here with a photo of Rick in a dance contest held on the cruise ship.

https://2img.net/h/i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/jameslloydhowell/TuTuLyle.jpg
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 12:18 am

RICK:
You look just like I saw you last! You never change!  ROFL 
I liked your pasta diet.  I could get into that one. Drool 

SUNNY:
 Glad your weather has cooled off a bit!  Get out and enjoy it!

GRAYMARE:
 Annie and I enjoyed the singing group! What a surprise when that young man had the deepest voice Laughing .

Well we had our lessons yesterday.  Areion is doing so great! Lori says she is going to be a wonderful ride.  She had her cantering around the round pen for the first time!  It took a few minutes for Areion to catch on to what was wanted, then she just clicked right into it.  We had her wearing Ivan's bridle and bit this time and it seemed to suit her better than the copper roller snaffle that she was using.  That one is Daisy's bit.  I guess I will have to get Areion her own plain snaffle like Ivan's.  

September 2013 - Page 4 Iudv.th  September 2013 - Page 4 J7gy.th  September 2013 - Page 4 0t8x.th

Click onto image to enlarge it.....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 8:38 am

Great pics this week.

RICK's all have a story for us that he will catch us up on. The countryside looks so interesting and the horse is happy so the upcoming description will be a fun read.

ARK, Aerion is doing great. What a pretty girl. She will just get better and better. She will be in a really good place to winter and soak on what she has learned. Next spring: voila!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Graymare wrote:
Great pics this week.

RICK's  all have a story for us that he will catch us up on.  The countryside looks so interesting and the horse is happy so the upcoming description will be a fun read.

ARK, Aerion is doing great.  What a pretty girl.  She will just get better and better.  She will be in a really good place to winter and soak on what she has learned.  Next spring:  voila!
GRAYMARE:
From your typing fingers to Areion's ears next spring! I am hoping for some nice "Voila!" Laughing 

ELLEN:
Nope, I haven't heard of that free e-book website, but will be checking it out! Thanks!

TRUDY:
I never thought I'd like an e-reader either, but guess what? I love it! I can carry it around in my purse when I am waiting in an office or someplace. I bet I have 50 books on my Kindle, which also go on my Kindle Fire and i-Pod, too. I also have a house filled with paper books, so don't feel too guilty about having e-books.Very Happy 

RICK:
Getting any of this rain? It has poured here all afternoon.
You will never guess what Annie and I spent the afternoon doing....Very Happy ....We made ourselves each a tutu for the 5K race we will be doing on Oct. 20. We will be dressed all in white, along with the white tutu, and during the race everyone throws colored powder on everyone else. It's going to be a fun, if messy, experience. We will end up looking like walking tie dyes. I thought of you as I made the tutu....Cool 

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 12:50 am

Ark, wear a mask so ya don't inhale the powder....

and of course we will need pictures.

Had a bad day today....The dogs decided they wanted goats for dinner.....I have to send my 3 danes to the dane rescue and then the neighbors chickens went strolling and my one male doxie Bozo decided he liked chicken....not a good day. I told the neighbor I'd replace the chicken even tho it ws on my side of fence....he is going to the doxie rescue. My hubby is livid...believe me its hard thing for me to do, but better than his shooting them, I cant deal with that. Talking to the rescue tonight...mking plans to take them to San Antonio....not a good night here in our household....and to top it all off hubby re injured his knee...it looks bad....he was trying to pull them off the goats...One goat gone....this is the second time....the babies that he was bottle feeding, the danes got too....I have NEVER had problems with the danes doing this in all the years of owning them (since 81) and we have had goats and danes all this time. I don't know why now....but I can't take any chances with show goats on both sides of us, and kids around....and besides, hubby has put his foot down on this.....doesn't do that often. sigh...Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2013   September 2013 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2013
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next