Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2013

Go down 
+7
cb
sunny 57
Manygatess
Graymare
Carol W
Rick Angell
Ark
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol W

October 2013 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 11:54 am

Sorry to hear this about Kazi Ark ... She is such a nice mare that it is sad that she can't get more "action" .....

Sorry about your friends Graymare .... I have noticed how much MORE careful I have to be lately so I don't trip/fall ...... don't need NO broken anythings. !!!!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Day 8 Blog...HELSINKI

After yesterday’s tiring (for me, at least) day and a good night’s sleep, we greeted this bright sunny day with eager anticipation … and a complementary breakfast in the restaurant next door.

During one of our many evenings at home watching travel videos, we both noted from a Rick Steve’s video the “church in the rock” in Helsinki. In all candor, this was the central attraction that we wanted to visit and was the main reason for our trip to Helsinki … Temppeliaukio. This was blasted out of solid granite in 1969 and is barren of traditional decor except for a couple of simple crosses. What makes this so unique is the ceiling of copper and a skylight dome. The copper is a 13 mile long coil of copper ribbon. Even though it was not open for tourist, there is an air raid shelter beneath the church that can accommodate 6000 people. (Remember the 1969 build date as this was during the height of the cold war tension between east and west.) Here you’ll find a short video that shows a bit of the interior. Be warned that the first part of the video has some interior views and commentary about the Lutheran Cathedral that Carol visited yesterday. This video will show you the interior of “the church in the rock” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24d2usKTk20 Please take your time and enjoy the pictures on this site. I think they are stunning: http://twistedsifter.com/2012/06/temppeliaukio-rock-church-helsinki-finland/ I sat in the back of the church and listened to someone playing some inspiring music on the grand piano. For me, I definitely felt His presence in His beautiful, modern, elemental church.

We retraced our 10 block walk back to the hotel to retrieve our luggage and started the slow trek back towards the ship pier. Carol did some ‘retail therapy’ along the way and I used the stops to rest my weary legs and feet. She bought a few things for our grandson Cameron, found some stuff “on sale” at a scrapbook store, and some gorgeous fabric for a future quilt or wall hanging in Helsinki’s largest department store. We “eventually” arrived at the ship terminal where we had stored out luggage yesterday.

SNOOP reporting here now!! “While Rick sat and snooze-guarded our luggage, Carol inquired if there was a shortcut through the long building we were in to get to the terminal next door. She was told ‘no’ but was given directions … “out this door turn left at the end of the building…”. She followed directions and soon found herself in the midst of a construction project instead of the ferry terminal. She finally found a real person to ask for directions again … a construction worker … and he personally led her through an employee entrance to a service elevator that took her up to the proper level. After exchanging the prepaid vouchers she had brought from home for tickets she returned the long way to where Rick was still snoozing. Miss Carol was a bit frustrated at the situation!!”

As there was still plenty of time before boarding Carol wanted to see the Russian Orthodox Uspenski Cathedral. We could see the top of the building from the terminal, but it was a long way away for me to walk. She tried a couple / three taxies, but was turned down because it was “too close” for them … in other words, the fare would have been too small. So, Carol walked, walked, and walked some more and finally inquired about a trolly car to ride and was only one block from the end of the trolly car track! She walked the entire way and walked all the way back after seeing the Cathedral. This site will give you some information and history of this structure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uspenski_Cathedral,_Helsinki Carol says that the inside was very ornate and almost “gaudy” and especially so when compared with the beautiful simplicity of the modern church we were in earlier in the day. I think you’ll find what she meant by that from some of these photos: https://www.google.com/search?q=uspenski+cathedral,+helsinki&client=firefox-a&hs=b2s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fOleUvedCIr22AXy3IDACg&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=579&dpr=1

While she was gone, I took the opportunity to have a cup of coffee and something sweet to eat and did a bit of “catch up” on the computer. The coffee shoppe closed and I then relied on a book to read and also took a short nap. When she returned, we got all our luggage from the locker and hiked on up the hill to the ferry terminal. We waited there for about an hour before we could board and find our room. It was on the lowest level and the front most cabin. We were so low that the two decks for autos were above us!!
It was a small cabin, but had a private (en suite) bathroom and shower. I took advantage of the comfortable bunk while Carol re-arranged stuff in the luggage and got out clean clothes, etc. for tomorrow. We dined in an onboard, self-serve cafe and watched the world go by for awhile. This wikipedia will probably tell you more than you expected to hear, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Silja_Serenade. For a good skyline look at the Lutheran Cathedral and the Uspenski Cathedral with our Serenade ferry somewhat in the foreground click here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/fi/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=230184000&language=_GR and this gives you a better photo of her: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Silja_Serenade.jpg

After dinner in the cafe, we found our way back to our cabin and called it a day. Tomorrow, we’ll wake up in time to see some more pretty scenery from the overnight ferry as it approaches Stockholm. Come join us for breakfast at 7:00 AM. Good night!!

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 pm

I am here! Been reading but not posting! I've sold all my puppies already....been busy there and trying to keep all the doggies dry putting grass hay into the pens/dog houses....the bottom horse runs are wet and mucky....tomorrow is spose to be nice maybe it will dry things up some I hope.
We went to the big horse auction I've been hearing about in Abilene....oh boy disappointed there! It has nice pens for the animals/horses....but the inside is run down, the ladies rest room you had to climb these steps that were steep by the seating in the auction barn....walked in and it was dark and dingy, dust everywhere....had these old vinyl chaise loungers in this huge room with mirrors...hmmmmmm.....and then 3 really tiny toilet stalls and one sink....and I wasn't sure I wasn't going to fall thru the floor.....there was another door that I left by and it went past some offices where I politely waved and opened another door and walah there was my seat....and on that side of the door it said employees only! LOL Sadly a lot of the horses went to to the meat buyer....I really got depressed....we left before it was over with....some very nice horses that ......sniff sniff......no one was buying with this gov't shutdown thing.

Jessi got Audrey a new horse ...he is an 11 year old gelding, paint, seems nice, this weekend we will put him thru his paces and check him out.

Other than that not doing a whole lot....just hangin' in there....and trying to get some things done around the hacienda.

Hope all is well with y'all......and OL MAN that is great news on your grand son! Congrts to him. You must be really proud.

Ark, sorry to hear about Kazis foot problems...
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi all. ARK, hoping Kazi's feeling good, so sorry about her permanent problem.
I hope winter ground isn't hard on her.

I had my bloodwork done this morning for my annual physical............glad to have that done. I don't have anything wrong that I know of.....................ha, if I do, I want to know EARLY!

This morning we had dew on the ground and when Lilly (Lilly is here as daughter planted winter grass and didn't want a mess in her house) came running in, she slipped in some mud and tracked it right in all the way across the house...................honestly, really funny. My solution is to wait til it totally dries and vacuum it away......meantime, it looks like poop..................LOL, there's something wrong with this picture.

Everyone have a great day. God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks, CAROL, CB, and GRAYMARE. Kazi seems comfortable enough. She HAS to lose more weight, so is off grass completely. That doesn't make her too happy. She follows me around while I am working in the barn and looks at me with her big eyes, making me feel guilty for not letting her out. The glue on shoes seem to be working pretty well. The vet said to keep her off hills and she might feel better, so that is another reason she can't go up the hill to the pasture that the others are enjoying.

No riding lesson again today. Thursdays seem to be our day for rain this month.

I did ride Ivan yesterday. He seemed to be fine and didn't give me any problems.

ELLEN:
That is sad to hear about what happens to stuck swans. While I think they are beautiful, I have a healthy respect for them. A 5 year old girl got flogged to death by one when I was a kid at a park we used to go to. Apparently it had a nest nearby.

GRAYMARE:
I hope your friends with broken wings get healed up fast!

CB:
Congrats on the sale of your pups! That should ease the workload a little bit.

RICK:
Did you keep notes while you were on your trip? Your memory is great!

Sunday is the Color Me Rad 5K race in Blacksburg, Va that Annie and I are going to. If it rains, we will be more colorful since the powder will stick even better.... Rolling Eyes  Annie can't wait.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:24 am

ELLEN:
The following article is just too cute not to show you. It was posted in 2011, so the emergency is probably over, but the idea of knitting sweaters for penguins appeals to me somehow...Very Happy 

http://jezebel.com/5851711/the-worldwide-campaign-to-knit-sweaters-for-penguins-affected
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:44 am

That's cute, Ark. I hope they were able to save a lot of them.

I'm sorry to hear about Kazi. Of course, it's impossible for her to understand that not being on grass is not good for her.

We pulled the jetskis out for the winter. Travis winterized and shrink wrapped them. I won't see it again until spring.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 am

SNOOP answers Ark's question: NO ... he cheats and uses Carol's book as a guideline ... and she did all the notetaking and photography!!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi guys...looks like our wonderful spring like fall weather is about to end. Frost predicated for next week. Guess we will have to fire up the furnace soon.

We pulled the last of the pepper plants out of the garden this morning, picked 41 peppers. Those darn plants just refused to stop producing. More peppers into the freezer and to the neighbors. We picked up our 80 pounds of chicken from the Amish store yesterday, it took us an hour and half to get it cut up and put into Food Saver bags and into the freezer. We are set for winter with food, if the weather gets too bad we won't have to leave the farm for supplies.

ARK: So sorry to hear about Kazi and her feet problems. There is not much that can be done other than the glue on shoes and just keep her on soft bedding. Have fun at the big race tomorrow.

CB: Good to see you posting girl..that auction sounded just awful. Kinda like the New Holland Auction. I quit going to the horse auctions, it makes me too sad to see those poor horses. Hope that new gelding works out for Jessi & Audrey.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 8:48 pm

I think my unicorn is prettier than the one in the logo photo....Very Happy 

October 2013 - Page 4 Sxz8.th  Very Happy 

TRUDY:
 Thanks about Kazi.  I am not sure how long it will take before her foot/feet deteriorate beyond help, but right now she is doing pretty well.  Those glue on shoes seem to help.  They should! $$$$....  She was running, bucking, and doing airs above the ground this morning, but it will be interesting to see if she has  hurt herself tomorrow morning .  I let her out a few minutes on grass this morning and she was deliriously happy!  Seeing her do that does ease the pain in our pocket book.  She got to stay out about 15 minutes, but felt better about life.

Annie and I are all set for the Color Me Rad 5K race to be held tomorrow morning.  It is going to be 37 degrees in the morning, so we have come up with alternate clothing to keep from freezing our patooties off.  These are the before pix, tomorrow I will post the after pix..... affraid 

October 2013 - Page 4 Wazy.th  October 2013 - Page 4 Iexc.th   October 2013 - Page 4 7eic.th
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Day 9 … arrive in SWEDEN!!

I / we had a good night’s sleep and we were ready to see Stockholm and do a bit of sightseeing there. Since we were so low down in the ship, our cabin did not have a window port and we had to depend on an alarm clock to tell us what time of day it was and wait until we were up on a higher deck to see what the weather would be.

Breakfast was in the same cafe as dinner last evening and Carol had ‘prepaid’ for it when she made travel arrangements. Lady Luck joined us and we had a seat by the window and could enjoy the scenery of the Stockholm Archipelago as the ship threaded its way through the islands towards the dock. I have searched for a web site to show some pictures, and the best I could do is come up with another Rick Steves youtube. This will have more than the area we went through, but you can get a pretty good feel for the scenery, etc. We like his travel videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9htGonmCjwg

To make the most of our limited time in Stockholm, we had to stick pretty tightly to our plans to see our two main goals. Carol had purchased (on board the ferry / ship last night) transfer tickets on a bus that would take us to a spot very near our roosting spot for the night … the af Chapman. I was beginning to feel that tickling in my throat that signaled a head cold coming on and we had to stop a time or two to rest from dragging 4 pieces of luggage. As you can see, the af Chapman is / was an ocean going sailing ship. We checked our luggage in at the on-shore office. She has quite a history about her that you might find interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Af_Chapman_(ship) If you are interested, this site will show you what the small rooms looked like … nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable. The only downside is that the “facilities” were shared by 3 cabins. However, the shower was in a separate little room and the rest...well it had its own room. For one night, we could make do, and as it turned out … only one of the other two cabins was occupied: http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Stockholm---Chapman-Boat-and-House-054001.en.htm Let me remind you that this trip was the most ambitious trip we’ve made and the Scandinavian part of the world is relatively expensive compared with what you would expect to pay “at home”. It was for this reason that Carol carefully researched and selected places to stay.

After stowing our luggage in the office, we retraced part of our hike from the bus stop to the af Chapman and crossed the bridge to Gamla Stan (Old Town) where we followed a walking tour recommended by Rick Steves … looking for and found the ‘narrowest street’ , the little iron boy, and some other details as well … such as a visit to a chocolate shop that was advertising a “sale”. Later, we ate a lunch of ‘dessert’ at an outdoor cafe, but did NOT eat our purchased chocolate!!

The narrowest street was really narrow in places as I had but little clearance off either shoulder and especially so when we met some folk going the opposite direction. Here is a video that walks you down that street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbNCiFnyN0o

I found this bit of information about the little iron boy statue…”The miniature (less than one foot tall) Iron Boy sculpture is a favorite of Stockholm residents and tourists. The statue is also called Jarnpojke, and was created by Liss Eriksson in 1919. The Iron Boy is found in a small courtyard behind the Finnish Church near the Royal Palace. Nuns at a nearby convent and little old ladies knit caps and sweaters for the Iron Boy to ward off Stockholm's cold winter weather.
Many people rub his head for luck or wisdom and leave candy or coins for the small boy (or the poor).” … and this is what he looks like. You can see from the coins that this little fellow is indeed “little” : http://www.flickr.com/photos/16210663@N08/7441295108/

We still have a lot to see and explore (and just maybe another word from SNOOP) … so I’ll do a second part to this report about Stockholm, Sweden.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 12:24 pm

I love both unicorns Ark ..... and I love the picture at the top .... makes me smile ear to ear. LOLOL
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 pm

ARK how was the race? PICS please!

Carol, I loved that one too....I almost fell off my unicorn....boy that fits me! Razz Smile 

We went to the Talpa Tx horse auction yesterday, luckily, there was only two skinny horses and some older lady got them both, says she has acres of pasture....she got them for 10 dollars apiece. They had some wonderfully broke horses go thru and some goregeous colors....wow! Yes there was a meat buyer there, but he sure didn't get as many this time around.....there were actually folks buying horses now the gov't has reopened....I think that scared a lot of folks. So I was happier this auction......sad that any of them have to go like that, wish they could live out their lives somewhere....but unless you have land/pasture the feed costs sooo much and vet care....and if they are lame and in pain....maybe its better.....than them dying slowly from starvation and in pain. I guess I weigh in on both sides of this subject.
Didn't come home with anything....aren't ya proud of me! Surprised 

Going riding this afternoon.....later y'all....have a great day!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Day 9 … Stockholm cont. …

Perhaps a bit of information / education about Gamla Stand and “Stockholm” is in order. Check this site for some good information and knowledge. I wish that I had done so before we were in Stockholm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamla_stan This web site will show you a couple of things … the top part is a map and you can see where the af Chapman is located and the walk (more like a danged HIKE in my opinion) we had to make to get to the Royal Palace and Gamla Stan. Scroll down just a bit and let the photos cycle through for some lovely scenes in and around the Old Town. I find it hard to believe (and so fascinating, too) that this old section of town has been so well preserved and is still in use: http://www.visitsweden.com/sweden/Regions--Cities/Stockholm/Culture-in-Stockholm/Old-Town/ Now, just how did Stockholm come to be located where it is … and what does the word “Stockholm” mean? A plate full of hot fudge to the one who can answer!!

After a bit of rest while eating our desserts, we moseyed on down towards a dock to a short ferry ride to go see the Vasa Museum. Wherever we have traveled, I’m always amazed at “how did they do that?” and seeing the contents of this museum was just as puzzling to me. The Vasa was a large ship … a war ship … that has a very interesting story. I’ll say this … there was a lot of craftsmanship and artistry involved with her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship) Don’t let this site overwhelm you with the large number of photos, but there are interior photos here as well. Tourists are not allowed to go onboard, but can be all around her from the safety of the walkways. The art work and skill required just amaze me the most…”HOW did they do that?” http://www.google.com/search?q=vasa&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=ShFkUq34GMi-2gWasYCQBg&ved=0CCgQsAQ4Cg&biw=1282&bih=599 And lastly, this site will give you some interesting information about locating and recovering the ship: http://www.abc.se/~pa/publ/vasa.htm

By the time we finished seeing the Vasa, we were ready to head for “home” at the af Chapman and to get settled in. My head cold was getting the better of me and my “energy tank” was just all but empty. I’m sure we had something to eat, but I really don’t recall and there is no mention of it in Carol’s scrapbook.

SNOOP here: “Miss Carol insisted that Rick get some relief for his head cold that she volunteered to go find “something” while he slept. As it turned out, she had to walk over a mile … one way … in the light rain to get him some medicine from a pharmacy. She had her umbrella and that helped. On the way back, a couple local guys started chatting with her and walked with her to see her safely back to the af Chapman. She said she felt safe and appreciated the company. Rick was sure appreciative of the efforts she had made to get him a couple nasal sprays and some relief!!”

We made our bunks and Carol did a bit of work with her pictures on her computer. It didn’t take me long until I was out sound asleep. Tomorrow we will get our car and head out of town and into the rolling rural parts of Sweden … walking and “hiking” will be at a minimum once we get some wheels under us!

Good night! Breakfast at 7:30!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Day 10…

This is the day my tired feet and legs have been waiting for as we are gonna get a car and drive … mobility of a mechanical kind w/o dragging 4 pieces of luggage everywhere.

We were up at 7:00 AM … showered … and had a good breakfast in the “big house” where the office was, etc. We also arranged for a taxi to take us to the Hertz car rental place at 9:30. Our breakfast was a “fix your own” with a variety of cereals and breakfast coldcuts of meet and hot scrambled eggs to select from. I had had a decent sleep and actually felt a little better and had some appetite to go with it. I sure felt better about getting out of the large city and into the more rolling rural / farm. Maybe my cold would disappear when I got out into the country. Only made one slight wrong turn, but we soon got that sorted out.

We really kind of started out on this without much of an idea of what to see in Sweden, but Carol had done a good job of research as far as Stockholm was concerned. I had “heard about” (from some reading) about wooden horses being made in Dalarna (like a county or region) and found a picture of the biggest one in the town of Avesta. I just knew my “horse friends” would disown me if I didn’t go visit that horse and have my picture made with it.

The horse was visible from quite a distance and we were able to find it without difficulty. As luck would have it, it was across the parking lot from a grocery chain … Willys … where we bought some supplies for meals. Our meals when on the road like this tend to be peanut butter (if available) & jelly sandwiches along with chips of some sort and bottled water to add flavor mix to ... And don’t forget cookies and other snacks also. We also purchased an ice cream cone and went to see the horse up close after stowing groceries in the car. It was real “neat” to find a bench under the horse and just rest and “ponder” a bit about life and friends and the circumstances that brought us to this beautiful country. I stood for Carol to make a picture of me under the horse. That gives you some perspective on the size of it when know that I am 6 ft tall. The belly of this horse had to have been no less that 12 from the ground. This web site will tell you plenty about the significance of the horse … and it is more than just something created for tourists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalecarlian_horse and when you finish that, please check on this beautiful photo. It really is a large, attractive model of what has become an icon for the region as well as all of Sweden. You’ll note the Willy’s Grocery store in the background. (By the way, we did NOT have snow!!) Carol made almost the exact same picture as this: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19622737

Our destination for the night was a B & B in the town / city of Falun, but we bypassed that and drove to the town / village of Nusnas to the factory where the small (hand sized!!) horses are made. Unfortunately, the factory and shop were closed. We were a bit surprised to find them closed and guessed it was (1) out of tourist season or (2) Saturday AFTERNOON. By this time, it had started to rain so we turned around and headed back towards Falun. Don’t worry … we WILL return to the factory and gift shop!!

I didn’t pay much attention to route numbers, and just made a turn where the sign said “To Falun”. It was a nice road and we made good time. Carol, however, started looking closer at her map and noticed a discrepancy in route numbers. We drove on and on until we came into Falun. Her directions as provided to us had assumed we would be coming into town from a different direction and suddenly we were “lost”. It got worse as we got into the edge of town, but several turns and a bit of luck, and just following my nose because it “seemed right” we finally were on a route number that matched up with the written directions. Our destination was Herrgarn B & B and it was several turns and blocks after we got off a numbered route. It sure was good to see the house when we got there … no signage, but Carol recognized it right away from having seen it on the internet. The lady (owner) had sent Carol an email stating she would be out until 6:00 PM and we got there shortly after that time. A note was on the door telling us she would be running “late” and for us to call her friend’s number to let us in. We had NO PHONE and finally decided to ask a neighbor for help. A friendly neighbor made the phone call for us and Astrid (the friend) arrived in about 10 minutes to let us in.

Our room … as shown to us by Astrid … opened off the main entry hall. We learned from Astrid that people do NOT wear shoes in the house. So each trip I made to the car was shoes on / shoes off. Carol unpacked stuff because we would be here for three nights. I took a nap because I was tired from driving and that danged head cold would not leave me alone.

After Gunilla (our delightful and warm hearted hostess) arrived, she fixed us a snack, and kept pulling out additional “snack” stuff and we three had a most pleasant evening just visiting and getting to know each other. Her command of the English language was pretty good and we had a lot of fun with language. You’ll see what a pretty place this is when you check this site. Our room is shown in the third “thumbnail”. It was really very nice and quiet and … as it turned out … we were the only guest she had. Here you go: http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/sweden-falun-herrgrnsbedbreakfast-page.html For ‘kicks and grins’ look at this site just to see the residential maze we had to get through from the main route. We came in on Korsnasvagen. You may have to wiggle the map around a bit to find the main route like we did in the car. It was well worth the effort: https://maps.google.com/maps?expflags=enable_star_based_justifications:true&ie=UTF8&cid=518554873996294531&q=Herrg%C3%A5rn%27s+Bed+%26+Breakfast&iwloc=A&gl=US&hl=en.

Carol was thrilled with having a private bath with a tub!! I was thrilled with a comfortable bed to sleeeeeppp innn….sssnnnnnzzzzz
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 12:15 am

The race went real well!  We made it the entire 5K despite being color bombed repeatedly.  It was a blast. Very Happy  There were hundreds of runners, all ages, but mostly college aged.  It was held on the Virginia Tech campus and surrounding area.  Color Me Rad 5K was very well organized and everyone was in a party mood, even with the temps in the high thirties when we started out.  Everyone was given cool shades and a packet of colored powder to throw, and we had to run thru several bombing stations where different colored cornstarch powders were blasted at us.  Everyone was dressed in tutus or colorful socks or strange wigs, no one minded being a spectacle Laughing . Even some men were wearing tutus! Very cute!   Most started out with white on, but by the end of the race, no one had white on.   Annie forgot her tutu at home, so she wore mine.  I didn't really mind that....Very Happy 

October 2013 - Page 4 Y3ak.th  October 2013 - Page 4 S2vm.th  October 2013 - Page 4 9eba.th  October 2013 - Page 4 Cqad.th

During race, after race,  color bomb dust floating in air....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Ark, it looks like a good time was had by all. Very Happy 

Rick, I'm enjoying your travel log. Sorry you had a cold through much of it. That can take some of the fun out of it.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:24 pm

hubby and I went to the horse auction in Talpa Tx. on Saturday and spent the afternoon and evening seeing some beautiful horses....prices from 100 dollars to 4400 dollars....there was one gelding I wanted, he was a chocolate color with big white moon spots all over him....and he was built too....wow....I had to sit on my hands big time!  Didn't come home with anything tho, but there were lots more folks buying horses now that the govt' is open again....thank goodness for these horses!

Sunday we went for a trail ride and Jessi rode the new gelding they bought for Audrey.  He's about 14.3 and minimal white paint gelding....seems pretty solid and quiet.  When we turned to head back home, Tank decided going home was a great idea and he was walking in the lead, a nice fast walk, when we went by a driveway and there was a rock flower garden with a white bleached skull in it, and looked at that skull and jumped sideways about 6 feet right into the middle of the road from the berm we had been walking on.....oh OUCH....my legs took a beating....and I'm not sure what kept me on him....the big oaf!  But the other 3 horses, Rocky, King, and the new guy Zeus didn't even flick an eyebrow at his shenanigans!

He doesn't like flies of anykind and goes a bit nutso in his pen, running, bucking and kicking....so Harry went down and swatted the fly and in return Tank swatted hubby with a back foot and left a shoe print on his thigh! So now we are both hobbling about today....

Hubby is building a dog pen for Bozo, the horndog....trying to keep him away from my females....at least for awhile anyway....it will have wire on the floor and across the top. He has even managed to jump out of my stock trailer...where theres will there is a way....
So we are keeping busy...busy...which is good thing! The weather is great right now only in the 70's and sunny so we can get some things accomplished now.

Later y'all....have a great week....and Rick, I am reading all of your posts...enjoying your trip!
Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Hello again, everyone. Smile 
I have a load of stuff to tell, but need to read all the news here first to catch up!

So just a summary for now: Zaristo and I went to the Championships in Wales and had a FAB time, he was the Best boy for me - came nowhere in results but wonderful experience.
Then home... to sad news that old Uncle in Scotland had died... so quick turn-around and off to Scotland for the funeral.
Stayed on for a couple of weeks, because I had planned to visit my sister anyway a week after, and also go to the very North of Scotland with my old school friends.
Home again about 10 days ago- to head right in and organise a TREC Orienteering competition. New venue needed several trips there to recce routes. Took place on Sunday, weather was kind to us, lots of entries, so I can relax now.
But I need a break!

I'll drop in on here tomorrow after I catch up... and tell a bit more about it all.
Especially the North of Scotland - magic place!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:44 pm

CB:
Ouch, I am sorry about Harry's leg. Areion hates big horse flies, too. She will come galloping out of the pasture to the barn to hide or to get us to swat it if we are there. She must taste better than the other horses. They will stand and eat while she is racing around them, brushing against them, all the time the horse fly is munching away on her.

SILVERDANCER:
Oh, good! I am glad to see you back! I have been waiting on the Wales, and now Scotland, report of your adventures. I am sorry about your uncle. That sure wasn't good news to come back to. I am glad Zaristo was good for you on the trek! Now tell all!

I am back from having a skin cancer removed from between my collar bones at the base of my neck. It looks like someone cut my throat, the incision is about 3 inches long. It is numb now, but I bet it won't be for long. Rolling Eyes  Anyway, that should be the end of that. I have to go back in 6 months for them to check it out, but that is all. They didn't even put a bandage on it. They said the glue to stick the incision together acts as the bandage. I will be wearing turtlenecks for awhile. I don't even want to look at it and sure don't want others gawking at my suicidal looking throat. No 

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 pm

WARNING ... THIS IS NOTA SNOOP REPORT, BUT IT SURE OUGHT TO BE.

lol!! When it rains ... it pours!! I just got back in the house at 8:00 from talking with a "property" neighbor about him bow-hunting on my land. While chatting with Bow Hunter ... a gray horse comes down my drive and across the yard to "visit" my horse. I own the "only" horse in the neighborhood and this was definitely NOT my horse. About the time I got through telling Bow Hunter that, a voice speaks up out of the darkness asking if we had seen "Muffin". I said "Yes ... horse will likely go out to visit my horse".

To make a long story short ... I met a new neighbor from two doors up the street ... and he only had a rope enclosure for "Muffin". He wants to fence in his large back yard and build a shed for the animal. He "might" have enough yard / pasture IF he feeds supplemental hay. Right now, my horse has a new pasture buddy for awhile and I have promises of some labor around to "help" me (I think he said 12 yo. boy) and they will come daily, etc.

My second stall is full of 'stuff' that I need to clean out and make ready for "Muffin". In talking with this guy, I could tell that he doesn't have much of an idea what he's in for with the trials and tribulations of horse care.

He wants to pay, but I said Not at this time ... lets get the horse situation settled first. The two horses seemed to be very quiet with one another so If BOTH are still upright in the morning and no blood flowing I'll assume they got acquainted OK.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 pm

RICK:
I bet both Muffin and Miranda are thrilled to have each other's company. Maybe you have a new riding partner!wavy 
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 am

Rick, it would cost the guy a lot less to pay board to you, than to build shed and fence. Both horses will like having company.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm

I doubt I'll ever ride again...too old and ... well...too contrary and lazy. Miranda is just a pet for us. I really almost wish I had let the neighbor take his horse away last night. She is extremely "woolie" and I wonder if that is Cushing's and if Cushing's is contagious, etc. etc. This old gal is on the thin side. Also her "poop" is a bit on the thin side. I just hope that Miranda stays healthy. White feet look bad, but no limping, etc. I think she has some Arab in her, but may be just another "horse".

On the positive side, the two are very quiet with each other and seldom very far apart when out on pasture. She seems to be very gentle and easy to handle.

I've spent the afternoon clearing out the second stall and re=arranging stuff in the barn. I'm anxious to see just how this purported "free labor" works out. 530PM and nobody been down today to check on the animal.
We'll see.

Ellen...From their standpoint you might be right, but I really don't want the additional responsibility, etc. I'll be glad to help then with fencing and "maybe" a bit of barn/shed building. I said "yes" last night for the sake of the animal.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 7:31 pm

RICK, I sure understand. At least once a week I get a call to take on another horse or horses as boarders or to have as a gift. No way, I have 2 as it is.......well, in Feb. I will. It's the amount of work I can comfortably do and what I can afford.

Your horse (pet) has done fine so far and will. They are happier in twos and above, but they adapt fine. That's what's so great about horses. Faith has friends all up & down the way....that is so interesting. Her best fence friends are two black
Angus steers and the POA next door. It's really cute. But she talks regularly to the two horses two doors down and loves to go up front and talk to those horses. They all know each other's calls or "hello". Even tho Faith is alone in her field, she has lots of company around. She is at peace and is mostly with her head down on the grass chewing and chewing.....................

Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Lost my last' Does any one else have a horse runs real close at full run.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2013   October 2013 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2013
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next