Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2014

Go down 
+7
Rick Angell
Carol W
cb
Manygatess
Graymare
Ellen E
Ark
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

August 2014 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 10:54 am

Ark, good luck wish still goes and also a wish to have fun! hubby and I are short, we will recline the seats in the car and sleep just fine and actually its pretty comfy....when we get tired we don't push it, we pull over and nap.

Beech did u get to paddling? any pics?

Well the gd's go home today and will be back labor day weekend...we r leaving tuesday with friend chris who is flying in from oregon to go sight seeing in missouri with us and to have cake for my brother....then we want to be back sunday nite for the mutton bustin finals that bailey is in and then chris will be staying a week with us before she goes back....looking forward to the company.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 7:15 pm

NancyLee had this on Facebook ... I just HAD to bring it here.August 2014 - Page 4 1554628_10152688410084743_4968359441911863206_n
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Ark, we are waiting to hear about yesterday's ride. How did it go?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 7:12 pm

So sorry everyone but ellen and I have broken fingere...pfttt

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:28 am

ELLEN
We arrived Friday afternoon at the Ivanhoe campground and set up our little truck bed tent. It had been raining, but was not in the afternoon. I took Ivan to the New River where several people had their horses and Ivan got right in the river. This gave me a chance to wash the mud off where he had rolled just before we left home. Annie volunteered to take up tickets for the Friday night dinner, so she stayed busy.
It rained overnight. Ivan was in the trailer with the center divider removed. I think he was doing canter pirouettes all night. We could feel every move he made all night in the back of the truck. And it rained.... We got soaked, everything we brought to wear eventually got wet.
Saturday morning started out foggy, but not raining. The 30 and 50 mile riders started out, then the 12 mile introductory ride we were in gathered to leave at 8:30 a.m. Up until this point, Ivan was calm and co-operative. When our group took off trotting, Ivan went into a racing mode. He became a fire breathing dragon. On a flat, dry trail, it might have been okay. It started raining again... The trail we were on was red clay with patches of rocks and was slick and muddy and nothing was flat. Ivan could not think of walking, a fast trot was as slow as he would go. After four miles of fighting him every step and sliding in mud or rocks on steep hills, I had enough fun and got off and walked him 2 miles to a road intersection where Donnie picked us up. So we did not finish the ride.

I think had we gone alone or with a known companion, Ivan might have gathered his brains back. Going with a small crowd at the beginning, set him into a mindset that I didn't get him out of until we walked by ourselves for a couple of miles. By this time, I was soaked, had a blister on my heel from walking in wet socks, and couldn't face riding back down that mountain to the river camp. Racing up was bad enough. Racing down could have been disastrous. We got back in one piece.

Unfortunately, the lady I had planned on riding with when I was going to do the 28 mile ride was not so lucky. Two miles out on the way back to camp, her horse tripped over a branch or log and broke its leg. It was put down on top of that mountain. It was a freak accident, and very sad.

Anyway, we are home and today celebrated Donnie's birthday by having breakfast at Shoney's and snoozing in the afternoon.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 1:59 am

Donnie happy birthday!

Ark its none of my beeswax, but if I had a horse that won't control it is my belief that he needs more control maybe a different bit or a noseband. I rode western saddle and english cavasan with nose band the whole 2 years I rode bit o badger....only way I was in control of his speed....glad u didn't get hurt and too bad about the rain. you need a truck camper...wwarm and dry.. or a 2 horse with at least aa weekender package
I love ours

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 2:01 am

20 years...hate my keyboard.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:36 am

Ark, I'm sorry the ride didn't work out as you had hoped. I'm glad you both got home safe and sound, other than a blister and being wet. Maybe next time.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Good job ARK…………..you & Ivan are safe.  Now you have some more experience.  Glad ANNIE got a job, too………they always need help.  Your poor friend, that would be awful.   (((((((((hugs to her)))))))).

Things are fine here….our a air has fall morning chill with perfect afternoon, early late afternoon chill when sun goes over the mountain……about 40 in the A M, 45 at about 6P, 70 in the afternoons.  Two of our friends aren't coming back as the 8500-9000 ft is too high for them.  Our older horses have felt it this year, too. I know hiking it kicks my butt.  Ranch owner said we will end the whole deal when we all get too old up here…………….

We had a nice big picnic with about 40 around a big fire pit yesterday.  Food, food, food
with just plain old  fashioned friendship and stories or lies, whichever.  Anyhow, a ton of fun.

On to weaning Eli next mo when I get home…then gelding in late Oct or early Nov…….
Gosh, the time is rolling right by.  Faith is ready to get rid of Eli and I'm itching to ride so
we'll pair up again for some fun.  Maybe breed again next spring, who knows………..the whole program is slow and enjoyable, and right up my alley.  Ha, Eli will start his lessons which is what I REALLY love to do………keeps me healthy, moving, and on my toes,  or in the saddle, however you want to see it.

God bless.  Everyone have a good day.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 4:46 pm

My brother, Don, passed on this morning a bit before 1000AM. I'm sure he's audtioning now for trombone player in some brass ensemble. Life is good when you know what awaits you. I'll be writng more later when I have some time alone with my thoughts.

GOOD grass hay (hefty bales) is $5.00. I have 60 on truck now and will get another 40 or so a bit later. Darn silly mare thinks all I have to do is wait on her hoof and hoof!!

Love to all...Rick
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 4:53 pm

((((((((((((Rick & family)))))))))))) So sorry to hear about your brothers passing.

ARK: You did the smart thing by walking Ivan when he was acting like a wild man. Some trail rides just turn into nightmares, even with the best broke horses. All the standing in the trailer and rain didn't make things any easier for him to cope with. So sad for the woman whose horse broke it's leg. Thank God you both made it back home safely. Happy Birthday to Donnie...

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks for the report, ARK! I, too, have been eager to hear. I'm sure you feel disappointed, but Graymare is right: home safe is what's best. You made wise decisions and should be commended for that.

My sympathies go out to your friend. That is the stuff of nightmares.

Sometimes on Golden Girl, I suck in my gut (my brother's expression),imagine the rhythm of the horse under me and pretend I'm posting. I never feel inclined to remember those times when I was lofted over his bucking head and about to land on my butt! The bad-time stories help keep my sentimentalizing under control.

Hot and humid here again today-- first time in a long time. We had quite lost summer and are glad to have it back. Yesterday I finally put the canoe on a lake and paddled a bit. But I didn't stay as long as I'd planned because the power craft were making wakes that threatened to swamp me. And I found that paddling isn't as easy as it used to be!  I now poop out pretty fast.

After I'd beached the canoe, I went for a swim and thought I was going to drown when the sloping land under me suddenly disappeared and I panicked. Now, I always thought I could swim, but this time I flailed about in circles like a person possessed, and the more I flailed, the more my breathing problems gripped me, and I thought I was a goner. I final mustered up an old-fashioned side stroke and made it the whole six feet back to shore. I didn't take in any water but I did drown in chagrin.

On the other hand, this morning, I saddled up Golden Girl for a 60-mile round-trip to see a doctor (to assure the insurance company that I really do use and need a CPAP machine). Gorgeous day, almost all back roads, hilly close to home, and lined with stone walls, woods,houses and fields, GG running flawlessly, -- and altogether just a great ride.

I am privileged and lucky!

To DonnieHAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Hugs to you, RICK. I will be thinking of you and yours.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Happy Birthday to Donnie! Very Happy

Rick, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Even when we know it's coming, we are never quite ready for it.

I feel so sorry for the woman on the trail. That would be devastating.

Beech, our summer is FINALLY here - at least for a little while. We went swimming this afternoon for about the best swim of the year. We were out there floating around for nearly two hours when it clouded up and we could hear rumbles of thunder in the distance. The two of us in the water swam over to help neighbors cover their pontoon. Some of the snaps are easier to get from the water than from up on top. So far, it's rained about 6 drops; probably more coming.
Have you thought about trading your canoe for a kayak? They are much more stable than a canoe, easier to paddle, and with a spray skirt, you can keep wave water out. One drawback is that they are a little harder to get in and out of unless you have a beach to wade in and out. I've never been able to get in or out at a dock. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 6:45 pm

I dare you to watch this without your face leaking. https://www.youtube.com/embed/uoABty_zE00?rel=0
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Rick, many hugs and peaceful hums your way.

Beech, I realized while trying to do something so simple as hopscotch with the gd's and having my knee go eeeeoowwwwwwwwwwwwww.....I am getting lots older....sigh....

Ark, how r u today? you are out there riding and training....more than most of us foopettes are doing....so donT feel bad, just get determined and keep on truckin, as our Gram use to say.....miss her posts here.

Well sweet dreams....we leave to visit brother in missouri in morning for a few days I nwill post from there....
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks, ELLEN, I actually do already have a kayak. It's a fiberglass job, home-made years ago by a neighbor where I used to live. On the way home yesterday, I decided that I'd be wise to sell the canoe and switch to the kayak -- or maybe, because the kayak's heavy and hard to carry, get a cheap, light one instead. But, if I run true to form, it'll probably be snowing again before I remember those thoughts, and then, of course, they won't pertain.

Oooo, boy, how I envy you all that swimming! Wonderful! 

Tonight, instead of mowing the lawn, picking the beans, freezing the squash, cleaning out the refrigerator (AND the oven) and.. and... and......I made a chocolate cake. And et a great big double-layered slice. Mmmmmm.  Now I'm going to bed happy.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 12:21 am

RICK
I hope Don's family is doing okay.....and you....

CB
Safe trip, and have some fun! I am okay today, thanks. Got a lesson on Wednesday, so can go over strategy with Lori about Ivan.

BEECH
Wow, I am very glad you didn't drown! That must have been scary. How hot is hot in Maine?

Donnie said thanks for the birthday wishes! I made him a German chocolate cake and we watched Northern Exposure episodes. A restful birthday.

Thanks about my ride. I did feel a bit of a failure with it, but was happy not to have come off of him during his shenanigans. After all the lessons, I am better at riding than I used to be, but sliding around in slick mud was too much for me with Ivan's race brain going on. I am not sure he will ever get over that, he may just be made that way. I heard that Jane, the endurance rider who trains with Lori here, pulled out of the 30 mile ride with her gelding, Albert. I haven't heard why yet. She is being careful with Albert. She wants him around for a long time.

ELLEN
I am glad you are finally getting some summer. It has been relatively cool here, too.

GRAYMARE
Does the rancher have a campground or are you out in a wilderness area? It is hard to believe it is time to wean Eli already!

INDYAPP
How is it going? Feeling any better?

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 am

Beech, my kayak weighs about 50 pounds.  I don't try to pick it up.  I CAN lift 50 pounds, but 14+ feet of it is difficult.  I have a set of wheels on which to roll it, and only have to lift one end at a time.  There are lots of shorter kayaks that are easier to handle, but I wouldn't get anything shorter than 11 feet.  Some of the short ones are really wide and are more tiring to paddle because you wind up having to reach to the water, and they won't track straight, just wallowing back and forth.  
Maybe you need to go swimming a little more often to remind yourself that you know how.  I'm hoping for another swim this afternoon.
I found a picture of the wheels like I have. I got mine on Ebay for about $80. http://www.rei.com/product/815324/paddleboy-designs-atc-boat-cart 

Ark, have you heard any comments from other riders about the ride?  (other than Albert)  I wonder how many others pulled out and didn't finish because of the footing conditions.

Have a good trip, CB.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Sorry for your loss of your brother even when you know it is conning it still is not easy (((((hugs)))))))) Ark, sorry the ride did not go as planned, but you made the right decision to stop, there are other rides and hopefully better weather and happy belated birthday to Donnie
Well, I finally got out of my nightmare of a car, I put up with it for a full year and when it cost me 500 dollars to repair it this last time I said enough is enough, I went to a local Ford dealer and told them my situation, they went the extra mile to get me into a Much better vehicle, when no one else would this dealer got me into a 2008 Ford explorer with ALL the bells and whistles, leather seats, moon roof, towing package low miles, and a four year contract instead of 5 or 6 year that they usually sell, and at a good price, the only bad thing was we had to use Kent's ranger as trade, it needed more fixing up then what we could ever afford so he e
Very reluctantly gave it up but I am very grateful to the salesperson who went the extra mile and grateful to Kent who gave up his truck and glad that my nightmare is over, the only bad thing the other car dealer did was put my return down as a repo he said when I give him 350 dollars he will wipe the repo off my credit, his final shot at me, I am not worried I will get the money to him in a few months on my terms not his
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Sunny, tell everybody you know to go buy their cars from the good guy. He helped you out, so you can help him by giving him some great word of mouth advertising. I'm glad you finally have it all settled. It's taken way too long.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 pm

sorry ark that your ride wasnt great..... chalk it up tp practice!!!!!

Rick ((((()))) to your whole family. Hard to lose someone close to you....
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 11:33 pm

SUNNY
I am glad the car mess is straightened out! I hope your new one works great for a very long time.

ELLEN
I haven't heard anything about completion rates at the ride. I suspect most finished. They are a rugged bunch for the most part. I saw one woman stop and go back when her horse gave her problems on a steep hill, and another wanted to stop, but was talked into going on. I guess we were the wimps of the group Laughing .

RICK
How are things going?.....

CAROL
How are you and Midge and Ice doing?

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Hoping RICK & family are doing well………….day by day.

ARK, we are on private land, not a campground……an old ranch and our wannabe group………we're all fading but still shine to the occasion……….in the winter all is closed down.  BIG BIG storms yesterday……we sure needed the rain and need more.  Good book day with fire and latte….Addy at my feet, huge storm clouds in the distance, big winds…………..oh, hot beef soup and rolls.

ARK don't ever worry about what others are doing with their horse……..you keep ARK safe.
Some of those folks aren't the sharpest pencils in the box……CB's seen them, too.

SUNNY, glad you have safe wheels now.  What a hassle.

BEECH, what a scare.  Keep a life jacket on, we'll all rest/sleep better.

CB, have fun with the grands this week end………...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Good point about the life jacket, Graymare! There are lifejackets that are designed just for paddling a canoe or kayak. I have an inflatable one. It lays completely flat until I pull the "rip cord", then it pops out in a split second from a CO2 cartridge. Mine is a manual operation, but some of them are automatic and will open if they get wet.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:28 pm

GRAYMARE
Thanks, you are entirely correct. Keeping safe was the right thing to do in that situation. At the SC ride, Ivan could go fast and furious, it was basically flat and dry. This ride was way too slick and steep for the speed he prefers. He would make some crazy endurance rider a pretty speedy horse, but I am not quite crazy enough. Laughing

I had a really nice lesson on both Ivan and Areion today wavy .

I really needed a little horsey success. Both horses were exceptionally mellow. Ivan didn't give me any trouble at any speed. We would go fast, then have him trot very slow, and he would do it perfectly. Where was that skill last Saturday?? Rolling Eyes After Lori rode Areion, I did the same lesson on her that I did on Ivan...making turns correctly, figure eights, etc. Areion really is a light touch and was very willing, I barely had to ask and she was trying hard. It was a lot of fun on her. She has such a big stride and is so much taller than Ivan. Ivan isn't quite as responsive and occasionally opinionated about things, but did work pretty hard. I was sweating more than either horse, summer came back!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August 2014   August 2014 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2014
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next