Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

June 2012...Summer time!

Go down 
+10
silverdancer
Carol W
Manygatess
cb
BarTGila
sunny 57
Ellen E
Rick Angell
Eileen
Ark
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 11:20 pm

RICK:
Be careful out there on the road. I hope this doesn't take too much time.

CB:
Did the fire get put out? I hope you get moved to Texas soon!!

CAROL:
That tomato sounds yummy! Our entire garden last year was one tomato plant hanging upside down from our roof. We never did get any decent size tomatoes from it. We are so bad at gardening. Rolling Eyes

SUNNY:
We have your weather, you can have it back! It is supposed to be 90 degrees tomorrow. Too hot for me!

Remember the contest my riding instructor, Lori, and her mustang Tonto are in? Well they need our votes from now until Thursday to win against the other finalists!! I sure hope she wins, she is such a good instructor. If you'd like to vote, go to:
http://www.actha.tv/afth/6

and vote for Tonto and Lori!!! Thanks. Very Happy

Lori and I rode Daisy and Ivan down in our lower hay field this afternoon. It was so hot. We all ended up covered in sweat. Daisy did better today than she did last week down there, despite Areion and Kazi continuing to scream for her. Daisy didn't answer today. She was a bit slow at responding to cues, but did much better. Ivan was pretty good, he gets carried away when trotting and wants to go as fast as he wants, so we have more work to do on that. He is good in the arena at trotting to the speed I want, but gets excited in other places. We are taking them on a trail ride on Thursday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Departure time is 6:00 AM from the shop. Mrs. Boss is taking me out to get truck and will bring Tim back home in the car...he is out of the hospital with some kind of stent in place, and boss told him to get a motel room (within easy walking distance from truck) instead of sleeping in the truck. Hospital folks called/paid for a taxi to take him back to truck and another hospital person (volunteer, I think) went to ?? and retrieved his pup-dog for him. Everything went as well as could be expected under the circumstances. I have been "sick" on the road a time or two, but nothing like this. Boss got "real sick" one time ... we happened to both be in Knoxville, TN at same time...and had to go to hospital (severe dehydration after being "sick") and he knows how it is to be away from home etc. It AIN'T FUN!!

I would appreciate a few kind thoughts and prayers as I get back under the steering wheel again.

Love to all....RICK
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:01 am

Good morning everyone.

Summer has arrived in PA. A small 3 day heat wave is upon us. It is already 70 degrees this morning. Gonna be a hot one. The fog is so thick this morning I can hardly see across the road in front of our house.

For retired people we have been so dang busy. I wonder how we ever got anything done when we both were working full time. Speaking of working, the PO wants me to take over the Post Office when my boss retires. NO WAY...I am not working full time. Too old and senile for long work weeks. Of course, no one thought what was going to happen as all the full time Post Masters retired. OH OH there is no one to operate the Post Offices. Now they are scrambling trying to staff the offices. Good old tunnel vision, hard at work.

Our garden is going gang busters. All the plants are growing like weeds. No tomatoes yet, but we do have blossoms on the tomato plants. We have a cucumber that is about 8 inches long, now if it fills out, it will be our first veggie that gets picked. Except for the onions, we have been enjoying them for weeks.

RICK: Prayers going up for your return to work. Be safe on the roads.

CB: There is not anything scarier than fire. Gosh, you better get the heck outta there as soon as possible.

Today is a stay at home day, off to get some things done before the heat really gets rolling.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Love & prayers to all.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 10:54 am

prayers going out to you Rick be safe on the roads take care of yourself Ark, our weather does not know what it wants to do, it is hot but not so wet this week but now theyare watching the tropics so who knows what tomorrow will bring I just look out the window and see what it is doing
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am

Rick and CB .... stay SAFE both of you .....

hot and humid here again .... we are having so much rain the last couple weeks ..... predicted heavy rain again today. There has been a lot of flooding anywhere that has anything that resembles a river .... enough already!!!!

Wondering about Briggy this morning. Hope and pray her surgery went well yesterday ...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 1:28 pm

What a constrast! Carol is getting too much water, and we don't have enough.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm

RICKSTER, prayers for road safety for you................

Hi gang, I'm home here for a few days and, of course, hot, Hot, HOT!!! I'm cleaning, weeding etc............and irrigating. Faith came down, also, as when I go back we are going to do some other things and I won 't be riding...........this way she is out of the mtns and no worry of fire danger. She is out on 10 acres with her horse friends eating away and enjoying horse freedom at it's best.........she will prob come in looking like a mustang, slick, muddy, happier than a pig at a trough.

Our yard looks like it needs a big drink which is coming..........

Glad you all are hanging in there. CB, honestly, you might want to saddle up and pony your horses to TX........you've sure had some bad scares. I hope you can roll out soon. Also, are your puppies here yet?

ARK, hang in there............Ivan is almost over the hump.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 4:16 pm

the wind is calm today so I'm making a quick trip into town and get food for everyone here and take some pics of the fire damage around Larry's house. I won't be gone long...anything could happen here! I like to stick close to home in this hot dry weather...tomorrow tho I have to go to Boise for Doc appt...out and back.

Hubby is up from NV and he is trying to get our truck tires put on Jaemis' horse trailer so she has decent tires Always kids...no matter how old they are.

GRAYMARE:you stay cool down there in the heat wave! Good to hear from you!

Carol, what surgery is Briggy having? I will HUM for her.

Well, off we go, get there get shopping done and get back home.

RICK, I'll HUM for you that you stay safe on the roads and I"ll HUM for your friend that he gets better. Harry got sick in NM one time and had to call an ambulance...scary when they are so far away from home...I understand. Take Snoop along with you so you have some great adventures along the way!

Later y'all...AND WHERE THE HECK IS EVERYONE! Check in y'all...we worry when we don't hear anything from ya's!
and miss hearing from ya's in general to know whats up with y'all.
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Good Gravey it is a hot one out there. I was away for the weekend meeting with riding friends making concrete plans on a ride in August and Sept. We will be heading far north in Ontario and doing some Crown Land trails and camping near a pond for horse water. We are all going on hearsay from a nephew of mine that suggested it. OK...off we go. lol One thing about it, if we don't like it there is a gazillion acres of Crown land there, so if this one is no good, then just go down the road a few miles.
Rick, you are a good friend to come to the rescue of a fellow truck driver who has had an attack. Yes best to let Boss know that it is only for a while...good luck with it, and stay safe.
CB... those fires have to have everyone on edge. Hope that the wind dies down and they get things contained.
It is very hot here, very humid and I am like a wet dishrag. I should be cutting the grass, but I just can't do it right now.
Back to top Go down
WV Witch

WV Witch

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:17 pm

I posted and now I cannot see it..................... confused
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Seriously, how drunk can these guys be? They must be drunk, they can't be that dumb can they?

Well.................now that I think about it.............

http://www.bitoffun.com/video_vault/boat-launch-fun.htm
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Let me give you a "lesson" on how trucks are made. Regardless of mfg...ie...Freightliner, Volvo, International, Peterbilt, etc. there are a myriad of "common" parts between the different mfg. My "lesson" today deals with transmissions. You will find that a couple of mfg. of transmissions are in all the different makes. The two "different" transmissions I'm most familiar with are EATON and MERITOR. Both are made in a 10-speed configuration...which is quite common in road tractors like I drove today. EATON transmissions have a good reputation, are pretty much "bullet proof, and its "easy" to change gears. The last truck I drove had an Eaton. The truck I drove today has a MERITOR and it is a &*^&%^ to drive, very, very difficult to change gears without clashing gears. I HATE IT. It will take me a while to get used to it.

Other than that, had a good day. Mrs. Boss and I left out at straight up 6:00 AM...had a couple or three "stops" and got to Crossville, TN just minutes before NOON. Tim was in the truck...had it nice and cool. I could tell that he was "really glad" to see us. I don't really know this guy all that well, but he is a quiet, thoughtful individual. He had a "touch of emotion" and gave me a hug. I wasn't expecting that, but was really touched by his jesture. They left out ahead of me and I "drove my own race" in the new-to-me truck...stopping only 1 time for 15-20 minutes and parked the truck at the shop at 6:30PM. I get to deliver and reload tomorrow. Boss said Tim is already talking about going out on the truck Sunday. We'll see.

Later...Rick
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

RICK, I'm sure TIM was so thankful for the help and you made his day. Inside, it made your day, too, to know he was grateful. It's the little things in life that make heros like you.

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Just home for a couple of days, from my holiday in Istanbul which was GREAT. I got some lovely photos, might persuade son in TX to put a couple up on here in a few days... because I'm off early tomorrow to the USA! Yippee!!! Can't wait, longing to see the family and grandchildren again. And to get some decent weather. It's still raining here - Ireland is more than green right now, it's waterlogged I reckon.

So I've no time to read and do catch-up, just wanted to say Hello and hope everyone is doing OK.
Once I get Stateside, I'll get on son's computer and talk more then. TTFN (I learned what that means on the old FOOPS forum, a LONG time ago!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:47 pm

WITCHYPOO!
Keep trying, your second post made it through just fine!! Great to 'see' you!

GRAYMARE:
Great to see you, too! Have you been riding much in the mountains? Were the fires near to you? It's hotter than hot here, I can't imagine what it is like in AZ.
I am not sure which hump Ivan is nearly over, but he has definitely been better than he was during the last three weeks! He was sure a trooper today.

SILVERDANCER:
Tell all! We want to know what you did in Istanbul! I don't think I know anyone else who has been there. Where in the US are you going?

CB:
Fires out yet? I sure hope so. We've been getting enough rain to keep us out of fire danger in this area, thank goodness. How is Reno doing?

RICK:
Glad you made it home safely. Any fond memories of truck driving during your trip? Very Happy

CAROL:
Good ride today, despite the 90 degrees.

I had a FABULOUS ride today! Ivan was nearly perfect, only spooked once at a silly looking standard sized poodle who had a weird haircut. It looked like a dog from outer space. Other than that, he was really wonderful all day. Daisy was better than last time, Lori said about 75 percent better, no screaming all day either. She had a freaky session, strangely not about the weird poodle, but after she got her brains back she was pretty good. She slipped in the mud once while Lori was lunging her a bit to get her mind back on track and fell on her side in black mud. She was about half black on one side until she got it washed off. Silly horse. After that she settled down. I think she thought Lori had knocked her off her feet, Laughing . She was fine.

It really was a pretty ride and Ivan seemed very at ease most of the time and I could keep him on a loose rein. I actually got to see the scenery without fighting with him over speed!
We rode from Allisonia, VA, north and back, about 5 or 6 miles, on the New River Trail. We crossed over the New River on a very long railroad bridge (around 900 feet) that the horses didn't seem to mind at all. It was very warm(as in roasting hot), but not so bad under the trees. After we
got back to the trailer, we untacked the horses and led them to the river. Daisy had a splashing good time, Ivan at least got in the water with all four feet. He kept staring up the river like sharks were circling and I finally saw what he was looking at....three ducks, Laughing . He doesn't really like getting in water, but did do it without too many complaints. He was such a good horse all day.

This makes three good rides in a row, I think it is a record! We have only ridden with one other horse each time, so I am not sure how he will be with more horses yet. We have an ACTHA ride coming up in late July that will tell that tale in Newcastle, Va.

We got the horses back home at around 5:30 pm and then ran to
Blacksburg to meet Donnie for dinner at a BBQ place. A nice day all around. Cool
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Ark, the more you go, the better he'll get.

Hang in there, the cooler might be coming your way. It was still hot this morning, then a band of thunderstorms came through (we didn't get a drop) and everything cooled right off, dropping about 10 degrees in less than an hour. I hope it does the same for you.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:58 am

ARK: I wouldn't call them "fond"....just plain ole truckin' memories....some good...some bad...most just "plain"

Love to all....Rick
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 am

Our weather here is just typical and expected this time of year.......about 70-75 in the morning and 110 by 4P..........heat isn't bad until about 1P so you can stillk get a lot done. When monsoon season starts it's bloody wicked around the clock as it gets humid...........so we shall see what the season brings.

Our sun is wicked here................you can sunburn at 7A here so I wear big hat and long sleeves. The sun is very strong all year around disregarding the temp............we have the highest skin cancer statistics in the U S...................

No other news. Where is everybody? Did everyone leave for Facebook?

God bless. Prayers for ALL.

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Graymare ... so nice to see you. Miss you when you are gone. Glad you are having fun though.

Ark ... I think you are doing great. Your rides this week were just what you are looking for. If Ivan gets his undies in a bunch with the big ride this weekend .... then, that will tell you the story. Might have to just do lots of the little rides and add a horse or two at a time as he gets bolder about it all. I, myself, don't like big rides because my brain tells me that you just don't know what some stupid person might do and cause big problems for others (voice of experience) ..... so our horses have to just go with what we ask them for, but their brain/defense is still on high alert. Ivan is a prize!!!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Rick, it was good of you to help out and save Tim's job too...

Graymare; I see the temps getting pretty high your way! and I heard about the fire too! Stay cool and safe!
I'm on facebook, but this is home base for me!

Ellen, r u enjoying your lake this year?

Carol, I think you are right about Ivan!

Rose, tryi again, I sure miss seeing you and hearing from you...

Ihad Jasper trimmed yesterday and when I got home he was lame on all four stupid feet! I"ve never seen that in a horse before. Harry looked, said the trims look good, not too short...I'm wondering if its becuz Jasper is 16.2 and he had to hold his feet up while JIm trimmed him if he maybe has arthritis and it just hurt...I gave him bute last night and this morning he seems fine?! I'm trying to figure it all out. He is the one that had the abscess last winter. He is looking so good right now, has put on much needed weight, his ribs were all showing when I brought him home. He is such a sweetheart to work with...but hubby is like, we are not spending anymore money on him! I'd like to get an exray on at least one front leg but have to haul him to equine hospital about 100 miles away and wooooo...spendy there also. I guess what hubby doesn't know won't hurt him any...LOL...I'll get jaemi to go with so she can back the silly trailer in case I get in a position to have to....she can back one anywhere! like her Dad! I envy folks who can do that!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 2:24 pm

CB...Tim's job was not in jeopardy...he was in the middle of Tennessee and had a medical problem. Getting the truck home was secondary in every ones mind...had / did get him home. Boss's wife is an RN and did the taxi job. What I did in terms of delivery and reload was just help set things up for when he (hopefully) returns midweek. No big deal.

Now the 2nd driver is "no longer employed". I put his road tractor in he shop this morning for a "re - do" on major engine work. Hopefully it will be ready mid week also...and that is when I'll be on the road again. I WILL NOT let myself get under pressure again. I sincerely believe that Boss understands that. He will be looking for another driver this summer...to take my place.

Snoop...in the meantime, is trying to get his act together also. Life is a BIG ADVENTURE!!

Love to all...Rick & Snoop
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 am

where is everyone? doing fun things I hope, well the weather is wierd right now on and off heavy rain, there is a system in the gulfof mexico that is slow moving and not sure what it is going to do they have lots of predictions but have to wait and see right now it is just tropical, but who knows, any way hope all is well with everyone
Back to top Go down
WV Witch

WV Witch

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Sunny, sure would appreciate your sending some of that rain up this way! Don't hog Debbie. It's hotter than heck here. All of us are well including all the furbabies. My plams are to retire Dec 31st this year. Not sure if I will work pt somewhere or not, but definitely not immediately. I suspect that I will be busy enough attending Noah functions and straightening my garage/shed building. Great to catch up with what everyone else is doing and have really miss Ellen's and my race chatter and yes Ellen I watched all of Jr's comeback win! Sure am hoping he continues to do well, he's certainly been trying long enough and I'm proud of him as was all of Junior Nation. Will post more later, (((((ALL)))) Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Hey, Rose! Good to see you back. I always love watching the races "with" you. Jr. has been doing so much better this year with his 'new' crew chief. Steve seems to know how to talk to him and how to get the car set up for him.
Now. I'd like to see Jeff win one or two. He's had a bit of a dry spell too.

A second cousin and his wife and three kids are here for the weekend. We've spent the entire morning on and in the water. Great summer weekend.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm

hey Rose, so nice to read your posts! Glad you are back among us! How are your doggies doing? We need more Noah pics!

Well, Bluey decided to try and have puppies in the middle of the night....but her contractions weren't strong enuf so it was an emergency call early this morning....where upon she was given oxytocin to get her to contract and squeeze them lil dawlins out!

Six, all black and white like Daddy Beans! All seem healthy the first pup was the biggest one hence the problem....but they are all nursing and seem healthy. I'm glad that is over!

I just had a 30 minute nap...feel much better now!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 12:23 am

Are those Danes or Doxies, CB? Sure am glad they are O K...................and, I hope you are by now, too..................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

June 2012...Summer time!
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next