Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

June 2012...Summer time!

Go down 
+10
silverdancer
Carol W
Manygatess
cb
BarTGila
sunny 57
Ellen E
Rick Angell
Eileen
Ark
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Rick Angell

June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Day 6...short report / long day!!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 am

Day 6...breakfast as usual then we decided to head underground and see Wales from the inside out. OK...We were headed for a slate mine facility. On the way, we stopped at a tourist information office near Betwys-y-Coed (I called it Betsy Coed) to get some help in finding RHAEADR EWYNNOL. Yes...you guessed it...that translates to Swallow Falls. This was a pleasant diversion and an opportunity stretch some legs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/awd12/3086339059/ Another 20 minutes or so later, we were at our first major destination for the day. LLECHWEDD SLATE CAVERNS. Be sure to click on both tours to see what we did with the “double tour”. I was particularly interested in seeing how easy it was to split off slate shingles. After our tour, we dined in the company cafe on coffee / tea and something “sweet”. Mind your head and keep your hard hat on straight!! http://www.llechwedd-slate-caverns.co.uk/ The area around the mine most likely had been scenic and attractive at some time in the past, but is a bit of an eyesore due to the H-U-G-E amount of slate debris. It is ground up for gravel, but there is just so much as to be almost an endless supply.

I must say that WALES has an abundance of old castles and there was another interesting one to go explore. This was HARLECH CASTLE that was situated out along the coast, south of the slate mine. This was built in 1283 to 1290 by the same Master Mason...James of St. George … who was also responsible for Caernarfon, Conwy, and Beaumaris castles. When built, the castle could be easily supplied from sea oing vessals, but the waters have long since receded and the castle is now left high and dry a good ½ to ¾ miles from the water. (My estimate). This castle had been in a number of military skirmishes over the years, and holds the distinction of enduring the longest siege in British history (1461 - 1468) before being taken by the Yorkists. This gave rise to the well known (British / Welsh circles??) military song “Men of Harlech”. I enjoyed standing in the court yard and trying to imagine what it looked like when it was occupied and what life itself was like. This gives you a bit of historical background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlech_Castle and this is a pretty nice exterior view. We parked near where the red car is parked: http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/daysout/harlechcastle/?lang=en

On our way back home, we stopped in a small village that was off the main route we were on to visit the Church of St. Mark’s in Brithdir. (I called it Birthday!) This shows a good picture of the exterior of the church, though I must say that the surrounding trees have grown in and the building is now heavily shaded. Also check out the smaller pictures by clicking on them: http://www.friendsoffriendlesschurches.org.uk/CMSMS/index.php?page=brithdir Note the copper cladding on the front of the pulpit: http://www.imagingthebible.org/wales/research/essays/brithdir_vinemotif.html and more: http://www.imagingthebible.org/wales/research/fieldwork/brithdir.html. What does NOT show up is a big, fat Buddha sitting outside that was over 4 feet tall. Don’t ask...We haven’t a clue about the Buddha and there was nobody to ask. This church...like so many out in the rural villages...was unlocked and we were able to enter and see it our own pace.

Even pushing hard, it was after dark when we got home. Yes...we had to stop for directions and still managed to get lost for a bit. We had PBJs and chips for dinner out in the solarium. Bed felt goooooood!!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 12:14 am

ARK: There was a stage/platform out in the courtyard that I assumed was for the investiture service.

Stone eagle? What stone eagle?? Carol just said that she learned of the stone eagle just today....sorry we didn't see it

Thanks for reading...Rick and Carol
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 8:35 am

Rick, I am really enjoying reading about your trip. Since my "high speed" internet connection is soooo slow, I can't watch the videos, so I'm creating my own based on your discriptions.

Ark, I'll Have Another had/has some kind of tendon issue. From what I read, it isn't too serious, but the vet didn't want the stress of a full race. There was talk that he'd lead the post parade yesterday, but that didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 11:40 am

What a disappointment he couldn't run in the race. I guess from what was said he is being retired from racing. That's too bad. I someties wonder tho if they would wait one more year for these horses to mature if they would have as many tendon, or bone problems in the legs? They are started so young!

Gonna be warmer today...its warmer out there this morning at 8 am than it was for the high yesterday! Have a few boxes to go thru and straighten up in here....so gues I'd better get my butt in gear!

We did get TWO drag ropes on Missy Muleytude...she keeps taking them off so maybe these will last a bit longer! I still don't know how she gets the knots undone!? Shocked Question
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 1:35 pm

well, it is noon and the temp is already 90, we have had rain every day this week and it is so humid I can't leave the windows open at night anymore, there is sun now but expect it will cloud up later so far we are still here don't know for how much longer Kent still has had no word on Social Sscurity it is still being processed, no word on medicade yet either, Kent is still the same no better no worse, I am trying hard to keep my internet service as this is my only outlet to the outside world and my friends, andfor applications for help it is frustrating but at least we still have a roof over our heads.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Day 7 ... Another castle??   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 11:50 pm

It seems hard to realize that a whole week has gone by on this journey of discovery and enlightenment. Morning broke with cool overcast skies and the strong hint of moisture in the air. We lingered over our tea and coffee and chatted with Brenda some before venturing out. Our first stop required a bit of close scrutiny of the map to find. Carol had seen a small bit about about a pottery shop and wanted to see it. I enjoy seeing stuff made and I believe that Carol had just a tiny bit of “retail therapy” in mind. We finally found the place back in the woods about ¼ mile up the side of the mountainous “hill” at the end of a narrow driveway. Before we could even get out of the car, a fellow hurried up to us and said “It’s Tuesday and we’re closed...and we BOTH are running late to our dental appointments!” That was the end of that idea and our bank account was preserved for another day.

Well, what’s a day in WALES without finding another castle for the Angells to explore? We found Conwy Castle and did a brief self-guided tour in a light drizzling rain. Carol and Jillian had seen this castle back in 1999 and she wanted me to see it. I did. It was interesting. It was big. It was rainy and cold. Here is the wiki site that gives info and some pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conwy_Castle and this site might be a bit more picturesque: http://www.conwy-castle.co.uk/

My dogs were beginning to growl at me (my feet hurt!!), and we were all too happy to ride for awhile and find the Great Orme Copper Mine north of Llandudno. (Land- DUD-no works for me, but is NOT the correct pronunciation.) (Carol just said “HYON-dud-no, but I think she has something stuck in her throat!!) We found the place without too much difficulty thanks to Carol’s good ability to tell me where to go….she really is great with the UK maps. This mining site is over 4000 years old that dates back to the Bronze Age in prehistory. The face of the hillside seemed to be riddled with many holes...some big enough to “walk into” and many more that would require crawling. Fortunately, the tour entrance was big enough to walk into. The tour was self-guided. Here are a couple web sites that show what we saw...which is a very small portion of the old mine. It goes MUCH deeper than we were: http://www.greatormemines.info/ This probably shows more “like” your experience would be. Do keep your hard hat on and “Mind your head”: http://www.mimno.org/uk/orme/greatorme.html

We felt that we needed to use our CADW card some more, so our next adventure took us to the island of Anglesey to see Beaumaris Castle. This was the last...and largest… of the castles built by King Edward I and is the most sophisticated example of military architecture in Britain. In my personal opinion, it was probably the “nicest” one we saw. It had a moat with water. Take time to read about this interesting structure that was never fully completed. After reading, come join us for lunch on a lawn out near the water’s edge. Sorry...we have pbj’s and then we have PBJ’s. http://www.castlewales.com/beaumar.html While eating...and watching a couple of dogs chasing a Frisbee...we were able to see Mt. Snowdon in the distance and it had been “snowed on” since we were there a couple days ago.

Many village names have a bit of history behind the name itself. In the Welsh language, some of the interpretations are very descriptive. Here is one such (rather famous, I might add) example: The English meaning is: “The church of Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near the fierce whirlpool and the church of Tysilio by the red cave”. This translates into the longest name in all of Wales: LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILOGOGOGOCH” I’ll give you a fair warning...Carol WILL include that on the test at the end of this holiday so study hard!!

There were a couple other things we would have liked to have seen, but we got lost again, and again, and again, in spite of Carol’s map reading skills. In all our traveling adventures over the years, we’ve never had this much trouble with getting lost. However, the great thing about being lost was that we got to see some beautiful countryside. We were reminded of the Yogi Berra quote: “You got to be careful if you don’t know where you’re going, because you might not get there!” Carol says we had dinner at the Royal Goat Hotel in Beddgelert, but quite honestly...I don’t remember. That’s hard to believe considering my “love of food” when we are on holiday!! She says it was good!!

Tomorrow is scheduled to be “moving day” to our next B & B in the southwest of Wales.

We’ll see you in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 1:10 am

WooHoo! wavy Our hay is put up and looks pretty good! We got 565 bales in the barn and the garage shed. With a good second cutting, we could have enough from our own property to do us for the entire year. It is supposed to rain the next couple of days, so the grass should start growing again. I am so relieved to have it under roof right now. We are going to fertilize the fields as soon as possible and build a hay storage building to put up the rest of what we need. I don't want to depend upon finding hay late in the year again. We got such poor quality hay from the local hay guy last fall.

SUNNY:
Sounds pretty hot your way. Do you ever get to the beach? It's been a year since I have seen the ocean so I am missing the smell of salt air now. I hope the financial situation improves for you soon, it has been pretty stressful for you and Kent....

RICK:
I liked Conwy Castle. I saw it first in the rain, too. I went back a second time two years later with Donnie and the weather was great then. It seemed so primitive after seeing Caermarthan Castle. We saw Beaumaris from the outside, but it was closed when we got to the area for the night and we didn't get back to it. The moat was great! We went to some big manor house whose name I have forgotten that was in the slate mine area. Even the bed was made of slate. I guess you use what you have.

CB:
Mares doing alright? When are the pups due?

ELLEN:
It's too bad about the KY Derby winner. Like CB, I wish they would wait another year to race those babies.

BEECH:
What are you up to? We had a bit of excitement here this weekend. Yesterday a BIG truck jack knifed itself just off the one lane bridge that is right next to the edge of our property. It took them three hours and two wreckers to get the truck out of the mess it was in. Then this morning there was a moped accident on the other side of the bridge about 200 feet from our house. I didn't hear how it happened, but the guy ended up in the neighbor's bushes where the rescue folks extracted him. He is in the hospital, but will be okay. There are always things happening around that bridge.

Slug day tomorrow. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 am

I sure agree with waiting until those colts are 4 before racing them. As big as most of them are, I'd bet that a lot of them don't even have their knees closed yet.

Last Thursday, when JoAnna was here, we decided to give the jetski a good test. We got on and rode over to a lake where we are allowed to go fast. The lake was mostly clear of boats so we could zip around the lake as fast as we wanted. We made 2 1/2 trips around the lake, having a ball. And then....... from 50 mph to 0. It just stopped. Wouldn't restart.
I knew it was about time for Travis to get off work, so I called him to tell him where we were. (Yes, I had taken my phone on purpose.) Knowing it would be a while before he got there, we just relaxed and hung out and talked. On any of the lakes around here, nobody will be stranded on the lake very long before somebody comes along to see if you need help.
Sure enough. Here came a little fishing boat with two old geezers who had been fishing, asking if we needed help. They towed us to a little restaurant right on the channel. It took about 10 minutes to get there. We spent that 10 minutes with a case of the gallopin' sillies as we created a whole story in which we were 17 again, being rescued by strong, sinewy, handsome guys.
We decided that nobody would want to read about geezers being rescued by geezers. rofl
A bit later, Travis arrived to tow us on home. The best news was that he was able to get it started again and knew what was wrong and will be able to fix it.
Having engine trouble actually made that ride more memorable and more fun. Although, we'd like to do it again minus the towing.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 pm

What you folk don't realize is that I'm familiar with the bridge ARK refers to..."familiar" with it in terms of driving an 18 wheeler across it. Ya gotta be lined up straight. We won't talk about how "heavy" I was, nor what the weight limit was/is on that bridge No Laughing No Laughing No No No

I hope to be back later with Day 8. I'm trying to cut down some on the "wordiness".

My love to all....Rick
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Day 8...Moving on!!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Day 8 started off with rain at breakfast, but we weren’t too concerned knowing our history of good weather while traveling. This day was to be primarily devoted to “moving on” to the southwest part of Wales and the Pembroke coast. We lingered over this last delicious breakfast...chatted with Brenda some about what all we had seen and learned...and said our goodbyes to her and Bryn Dansi Farm.

Carol had seen “something” on the computer while doing the research and planning for this trip and we did make a stop at Aberystwyth ( I said A-berries-with!!) to go high up on a cliff top on the Rheilffordd Y Graig Cliff Railway. I can’t really find any website photos that show the views from the top, but here are two wiki sites that may help you understand the steepness of the ride. First wiki is in English...second wiki is in Welsh. You ought to be able to read it and understand it with all the lessons we’ve been giving you!! Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberystwyth_Cliff_Railway and here is the second one: http://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheilffordd_y_Graig There was a nice little cafe at the top, so we stopped for tea / coffee and something to nibble on. The temperature was nice although it was a bit breezy, so we “dined” inside next to the large window. The view out along the coast line was spectacular. On our drive back down..and through...the town of Aberystwyth, we remarked how clean the town was.

Next destination was the little hamlet of Lower Solva that was to be home for the next few days. Carol had warned me ahead of time that she had been unable to find much on the internet about this place, so we were both a bit apprehensive. She had selected this based on the description of location alone. This place was … in my humble opinion … unlike any B & B that we have ever stayed in before. Oh the “bed” and the “breakfast” part of the experience was similar. When you combine the location with the people you meet (other guests, B&B owners/employees)...that’s what makes it so unique. And in our opinion, so “FUN” to experience. Felingog is situated over a small cafe / pub and next door to a larger restaurant / pub and inn, alongside a rapidly moving stream of water leading out to the tidal bay...and it overlooks a large, paved parking lot. Here is the best site I could find about where we stayed…”home” for the next four nights...but you need to go down and read the second review, “A room with a view” and click on the thumbnail photos to see the room we were in. I’m very familiar with the burgundy comforter you see on the bed: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1475009-d1930999-Reviews-Felingog_Bed_and_Breakfast-Solva_Pembrokeshire_Wales.html The room itself was very clean and tidy, but woefully lacking on anyplace to hang clothes. The bathroom also was very small, but we “got ‘er done”. There was a communal kitchen / lounge (it also had a washer and dryer...FREE to use!!) right across the main hall way from our room. It was ALL the above...especially meeting our new housemates...that made this such a neat place. Our hostess, Ali and the “handyman” James (we are STILL wondering / pondering about him!!) made sure that all our wants and needs were taken care of promptly.

There were four ladies there (for their 3rd or 4th annual visit to Solva) who would have made anybody laugh. These women were in their early to mid 60’s and …. ???? ….what can I say? The house was “loud, and rowdy and funny” well into the night. James was entertaining these ladies … and Carol, too I might add … with some of his stories. I had tried napping but had to give that up and see what was causing the noise. Some how my presence only seemed to add to the noise!! Bedtime was late, but Carol did get her photos downloaded into her computer.

Breakfast will be served at 8:00 in the cafe downstairs.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Day 9...work lost   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:37 pm

I was almost through writing up Day 9 when I stopped for dinner. I left my computer "open". For reasons unknown to me, the computer "locked up"...ie...totally unresponsive...screen was readable, but very dim...my cordless mouse inoperative...touchpad mouse inoperative. I ended up turning the machine off without being able to do a proper shutdown. My work...brilliant as it was...is lost!

Carol will likely take her scrapbook to work and leave it there for at least a week. Therefore I've decided to take a break for the time being and will pick it back up at a later date.

Rick

...and I was going to enlist "somebody" to help get some HORSE pictures up.!!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 10:28 pm

well, my SOMEBODY left...where is Flessa? Hope all is alright with her.
Ellen:sounds quite like one of my misadventures! Did ya at least get a date from one of the old geezers? LOL

ARK, see you have weird happenings around your place too! I just have the stupid foxes that keep my dogs barking most of the night...I have got to do something about the critters...

I'mnot sure when my next litter of pups are due, Im thinking within a week...Bluey is the one whom I thought lost her pups...but in reality came into a long season cycle..and got pg during that cycle...this one I'm not sure of, usually I can pick it to the day!

The 3 rascallions are growing and doing fine! The lil white one is tough as nails and barks and growls at anything that moves! She beats up on the other two who are bigger than her.

a nice slug day here...havn't done much at all except get doggie papers done, registering the pups etc...and made our last car payment on hubbys' cavalier...yay its all ours now! No more vehicle payments! Am hoping all of ours will last the next 20 years or so! wishful thinking I know! but I can hope...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 11:56 pm

ELLEN:
Nice adventure! I love Old Geezer Clubs Laughing . There is one that meets at Hardees every weekend while we are having breakfast. They have the most interesting conversations, which I always tune into. Very Happy It was nice of your guys to save you from the lake!

CB:
I was wondering where FLESSA got to, also. And the others. It would be great if everyone would post now and then. This website will ask me ever so often if I want to delete a member who hasn't posted in awhile. Noooooo, but I sure wish they'd post!
Congrats on getting the car payments over! A red letter day, for sure.

RICK:
Got your pix sorted out. I'll send them to you so you can tell me which you want inserted into the text where.....Nice photos!
I called Aberystwyth "Abber Stick With" Laughing when we went thru there. I have no idea how it was pronounced.

Not quite the slug day I had envisioned. The farmer guy who hauls off the manure trailer sold me 40 lovely bales of hay, so I had to help put them in the barn. The barn is now officially stuffed full. I have a total of 685 bales on hand now and if we keep getting rain, I bet we can get the rest of the thousand bales off our property with the second cutting. It's a nice feeling to have hay in the barn already for next winter. The farmer guy sells me his extra hay and it is always put up nicely. I wish he had time to put up our hay, he does such a good job and is easier to work with than most of the hay guys I have had to deal with. Alas, he works full time at a job and doesn't have time for my hayfields.

Big rain coming tonight and tomorrow...

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am

GREAT Ark!!!! Hay in the barn before the rain!!!!! Glad you got that done. Feels good and it smells nice too. Fresh hay is so nice. We ride in the hay fields and it needs cutting as soon as we get a nice stretch of weather. It currently is to tall for Midge!!!! She has a really hard time going with us. She looks pretty cute bouncing through it and then we can't see her at all .... that is when she finds something she needs to take a closer look at. LOLOL The horses, of course, love it.... They can grab a bite as we go..... makes the bugs worse though when we stir through the long grass/hay.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm really envious of you folks who have had rain. I would love to have some around here. Yard is already August-burnt-to-a-crisp. Well, good thing is that I don't have to mow.

I thought I would treat myself to something "girly" this morning. So I went over to the beauty college that is around the corner for a mani-pedi. The girl who did the work was a sweetie. Twenty-one and just starting the program. I should know better than to do something like my nails. I thought I would be safe as I am leaving for Chicago this afternoon for a cram course that will be 4 days so I figured I would be able to have "pretty" nails for a few days as I would be away from the horses. Wrong. I couldn't even get home before I buggered up 2 of the nails. How do women keep their nails nice? It's a mystery to me.

Sophie and I get a break from our exercise routine while I'm in Chicago. We've been round-penning every morning trying to get our weight down. We're to the point she's doing an extended trot and I'm jogging, then we transition down and she does a working trot and I'm power walking and by the time we're done she's doing a pretty western pleasure jog and I'm walking a normal to slow pace while huffing and puffing. How long we go depends on how long it takes me to feel as if I'm going to have a heart attack.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 pm

who is sophie/I thought you were round penning Tiberius.....I am cornfused as usual.

Rather warm out there today...trying to clean up my messy house from when hubby was home and we were going thru boxes, stuff that stays/gets packed, and stuff that goes...the hard part for me will be over with...all that is left in the house are our clothes. Hubby has his tools to pack yet. Anything I'm using in the house now will be left here for GS Kyle to use when he moves in. He'll have a bed, recliners, entertainment center, tv, dressers, dishes, old set of pots and pans, towels and wash cloths....I'd say he was ready to set up housekeeping! flower ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 pm

well, it has been hot, hot, hot, and muggy, we have been having rain every day sometimes pouring sometimes sprinkle but it has left us verry humid looks like thursday we are going to get hammerd with storms it is comming from up north not much else happening, Kent is the same no better no worse, just his attitude he gets mad about the littlest thing we are at each others throat, you would swear we were a married couple, NOT we are together because neither of us can make it on our own so we split costs and it works, but it can get frustrating at times
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:19 am

INDYAPP:
I have no idea how women keep their fingernails looking nice. I feel fortunate when I have them all the same length, forget about polish! That is a rare day, though, when they are all the same length.
Ivan is my aerobic workout machine Laughing . I have really gained muscles since we have been riding so much. Too bad most of the fat is still there, though... Rolling Eyes
Have some fun in Chicago and don't work too hard!

CB:
Sophie is one of INDYAPP's horses. She is round penning Tiberius herself.

CAROL:
I worry for months about hay. It is such a relief to have most of it already put up for the year! I hope they cut your fields soon, I don't like riding in long grass either. Buggy. Last year we took Daisy and Ivan on a ride thru some private fields that had gone wrong, the weeds had taken over and were actually over Daisy's head. It was an intense ride. I kept worrying about stepping into holes or running into some kind of bees'. We did fine. It was Daisy's first trail ride. I think she was in such shock, she did really well.

SUNNY:
We never got all the rain they predicted for today, although it rained a lot yesterday. It is so hot, humid and muggy. My sweat rag is back in business. I am going to start having riding lessons in the evening, it is too hot during the middle of the day in the arena now.

RICK:
Nice new avatar! wavy

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:34 am

ARK,I had a friend make me some sweat bands in diffeerent colors...they are beaded and soft colors like pink, blues, green etc...with matching beads and work GREAT! I can wear something that works and looks girly too!

Nothin' much goin' on here....quiet...still waiting on the next litter of pups to pop..

sweet dreams y'all
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 am

"Scary looking old dude"...so says SNOOP

Back to top Go down
BarTGila

BarTGila

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am

Sorry been off the rails for a few days. Now to read and catch up, but first this one is for you Ark if I can figure out how to post it. If not I put it on facebook too.
Back to top Go down
BarTGila

BarTGila

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 am

One more try.June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 1
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:11 pm

RICK, love the avatar!

BART, hope you are feeling alright, being off the rails for a few days! How is your portable machine working for you and what is it called, ya never know when down the road I may need one!

Want y'all to HUM please, remember RENO who was in our calendar with me....she is having a radical masectomy today..her breast cancer returned after five years... Crying or Very sad Don't know if I can get thru this again...just losing Lyn, so y'all help please!

Another beautiful day out there, and I need to clean up this mess in my living room I've been putting off...hubby will be home in the morning early. Guess I really need to get myself in gear! At least I feel better today....go in Friday for my cat scan.UGH...
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Sophie the Wonder Pony is the spotted draft horse that SAPP bought from my neighbor many years ago when the neighbor discovered she had no business owning a 3 year old greenbroke drafter no matter how well "trained" she was when the amish owner handled her. The neighbor had her listed in the newspaper for less than kill pen prices. (That in itself tells you how long ago this was.) SAPP bought her and Sophie came across the street to my house and has been here ever since. She legally became mine when SAPP passed. ARK, do you keep some sort of score card keeping track of all of our critters? You know, who owns what? Or should I say who is owned by what? Tiberius is learning to round pen too, just my goals for him are different then my goals for Sophie. Very Happy

Had to have the vet out for a Chiro adjustment for Monster yesterday before I left. His back end was really out of whack. He practically sat down when Doc pushed on the magical spot. He also let out this big sigh when Dr B fixed the sore spot. I feel like a bad parent or something. Good thing horses are so forgiving.

Back in the hotel room after the first day of class. On the walk back stopped in this little Mexican resteraunt called QDoba and brought a burrito and chips back to the room. Yum. I guess it's a chain but I've never heard of it. It was very good. Definitely better than Taco Bell.... and I LIKE Taco Bell. Now I have to do my homework assignment for the night. If I get done early enough perhaps I'll walk around a little and window shop since I'm right downtown. Big City for this Small Town girl.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Have Fun INDYAPP! I'm glad you got Sophie and you are a good horsey parent! Sometimes we get busy and say to ourselves, geesh, when did that happen! Been there done that! But then we fix it right!

I don't do long nails! last time I had the paste on ones...was for the cruise and that was many years ago now! I keep mine short except for my thumg nails, I can text message with those, so ten to let them grow out until they break!

Nice breezy sunny day here ....puppies were out in the heat and I brought them in after about 45 minutes and the 3 of them are sacked out! they are spoiled and like the a/c! and laps already! Lil twerps!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 am

KATHI:
I hope you are feeling better! Your photo didn't post, I'll try to get to facebook to see it.

INDYAPP:
No, I don't keep a score card Laughing . I tend to remember animals better than most things, although still will get names mixed up on occasion. I just happened to remember you talking about Sophie.
How was your dindin? Drool Sounds pretty good. Is the class going well?

CB:
Lots of good thoughts for Reno.....Did you get your MRI or is that tomorrow? Hopefully it will show wonderful improvement in whatever it is you are having checked out. Donnie went to his knee doctor today and his knee has improved over the past month on anti-inflammatory drugs. He says it feels better, too. The swelling has gone down and he is walking better. If need be, he will do another month on the drug and if it doesn't clear up then, he'll get a cortisone shot.

ELLEN and TRUDY:
You gotta see this! Cats in Space, I love it! ClappingHands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DnQLI1XDzI&fb_source=message

Donnie trimmed Cactus Jack's feet this evening while I did barn chores. I got done before him, so put a halter and reins on Ivan and rode him around his drylot bareback. He did really well. I am thinking about getting him a hackamore, he seems to do okay with just a halter and reins and might enjoy not having a bit in his mouth all the time.

Lori is coming tomorrow evening for a lesson with him and Daisy, then we are going on another trail ride on Saturday. The weather forecast looks really good, clear and 70s. I hope Daisy gets her act together a bit this week, she was sure freaky last Saturday. Just because there was hay making equipment running everywhere, a tractor on the trail scraping it, bikes zipping by us, cows doing weird things in the woods, a Great Pyrenees dog barking at us, truck traffic noise from the interstate, digging machines doing house construction projects, and someone shooting a gun off just as we passed by... is no reason for Daisy to be nervous! Rolling Eyes I still can't get over how calm Ivan was about all that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 2012...Summer time!   June 2012...Summer time! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

June 2012...Summer time!
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next