Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2018

Go down 
+3
Ellen E
Graymare
Ark
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

September 2018 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Glad to have you back, CB. I hope you can get headed south pretty soon. Idaho snow will be starting.

We are having a really nice early fall day, with a few more to come. The more the better.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Hey CB, Yes we missed ya. You are right about the VA treating the Veterans better, in the last 2 years things have really changed for the better. No more big bonuses being paid to the staff for not issuing disability awards. It's much easier to get an appointment for them also.

More freaking rain here today, it rained all weekend. It looks like the big Florence storm is going to miss us here in PA. Worried about our daughter who lives on Kent Island in Maryland and my idiot son who is on vacation in Maryland. affraid
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Yeppers...mountain snow tomorrow....have got to get going. For Sure!

BEEN COOLER SUNNY DAYS SoME FILLED WItH LOTS OF SMOKE SOme not so bad. Based on whether or not we can see the mountains or foothills thru the smoke.

Ready to rock but rv cant roll....20th is when they are saying.....hope so. Fingers and toes crossed.

My lil maltese chihauhau cross teddy...is now certified as my diabetes alert dog...smart lil guy he is and accurate too.
Not to mention very cuddly. Doctor wrote me a letter for him after watching him demonstrate.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 10:29 pm

PRAY for those in the path of Florence................oh brother. Scary,
for sure.

I was in a hurricane in RI with lots of damage..............nothing like
the predictions for this one. I remember being very scared for my horses.........
What are these people going to do?

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 am

TRUDY:
I am glad the hurricane isn't going your way! You've had enough rain for awhile!

They have had us all over the map. First they said Florence was aiming directly at SW Va and would stall out here and rain 20 inches or more. Everyone and his uncle ran to the store. Then every day Florence has been changing paths more and more south...which is good for us, but not so good for ROSE. We went to Kroger's and WalMart yesterday and while Kroger's was fairly well stocked, WalMart was decimated in the milk and water departments. The check out lady said everyone must be going to eat milk and water sandwiches, that is all they were buying... Very Happy ...I told her at least the folks would be well hydrated.

So the hurricane supposedly will mostly miss us. We will get rain for several days, but not as much and the winds won't be as bad. Unless it changes its mind again.... It's supposed to start raining on Saturday and go thru Tuesday.

This past Tuesday we had a huge thunderstorm that dumped over an inch of rain on us in a few minutes. My freshly cleaned barn's drainage ditches were overrun and the pony side of the barn was flooded. There was about 2 inches of water standing in the shavings by the time I got down there. It took us 3 hours to get it all out. So yesterday Donnie took the tractor down and made bigger ditches all around the front and pony side of the barn. It should drain a hurricane now. If needed, we are ready to put up plywood in front of the barn to block any wind driven rain from getting in. The horses should be okay.

It seems like we have been waiting a month for this darn hurricane... Rolling Eyes At least it isn't sneaking up on anyone.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 pm

I had a very brief chat with Rose today … she's gonna "ride it out" with her dog care responsibilities, etc. She indicated she was on "high ground" and that the barn where her horse is is on even higher ground. Tags and other ID / Contact info have been affixed to her horse. She seemed in good spirits … just didn't have time to visit much.

Quite honestly, I'm not too worried here … we have a good roof on the house and trees close to the house were pruned back several years ago. We are on high ground for sure. Only thing I'm not really "prepared" for is a power outage that would extend for days, but historically we've only had minor outages.

Getting older has not been very much fun for me … don't have near the energy I had just 2 - 3 years ago. Keeping yard mowed has been about it for me this summer, but I need to find about another day of "energy" to finish some cleanup work around the shop / barn building prepping for painting crew. But, oh well … that'll get done when it gets done I suppose.

Stay safe and dry, my foop friends... Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am

I hope all foops and foopettes in this storms path can check in and let us know they are ok...ya know how this mother hen worries.
Still sitting here waiting for our new black tank...they have promised to get us right in when it comes in....not holding my breath but will keep fingers crossed.
Dawn sunny...is suppose to get wind and rain where she is at. I cant imagine the water damages along coast and even inland this storm will wreak.
Please stay safe.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 am

Sure hope you're all OK..................
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 9:36 am

Someone posted on FaceBook that waiting on this hurricane was like being stalked by a turtle. That's for sure. It's been long enough since the first warnings that we have had to go back to the store for more milk and bread. Rolling Eyes The stores have had time to restock. No problems getting anything, at least in Virginia.

The rain arrived as mist yesterday, Saturday, and today the real rain has started. We have certainly had plenty of time to prepare. Our barn ditches are in as good shape as we can make them, so hopefully the barn won't flood. The house is on higher ground and will be fine.

We aren't going to get the high winds, just lots of rain. The rivers will all be close to flood stage, if not flooding. The rain is expected to last until Tuesday and the rivers to crest by Thursday.

RICK and ROSE: please post when you can.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 12:53 pm

We almost feel guilty at times "here" in our part of NC … "WHAT storm...??". Yes, we've had a little bit of rain and some gentle breezes, but nothing like other parts of the state are having. As best I can figure, the system will / has passed south of us … in its westerly travels … and is "hooking around" to the north/northeast and will likely affect ARK's area far more than us.

Please don't misunderstand my comments … Im very concerned for those that have been hit in devastating ways. In 1996, I spent A LOT of time primarily in Eastern NC. working with a small insurance company after Hurricane Fran … I've seen first hand the damage / destruction such storms can have and the impact on people's lives. It still affects me to this day.

Im hoping Rose will check in soon … I saw last night (I think it was last night...??) that she was chatting with someone on FB. Other than that, my comment about her from three days ago {see above} is the only thing I know.

Hug your loved ones … be Blessed!!

Love to all my Foopy Friends … Rick
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Heard parts of i95 are closed and dillon sc has flooding and rode closures. If i remember that is close to rose...hope we hear from her soon.
Dawn said she us getting light rain and light wind so far.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 pm

I have been gone and busy for the whole weekend, so I'm just now catching up on the hurricane news. I'm so sorry to hear about the people who have died. I know there is going to be immense damage.

Now, for my weekend.
Several weeks ago, my cousin asked if I wanted to go with her and her neighbor to Lexington for a weekend, just to tour around horse country. She has a friend who lives there. Then, week before last, she contacted her friend to see what we should plan to see while we are there. Friend Brandi wouldn't have it any other way than the three of us should stay with her and her family, and she would make sure we saw some good stuff.
Cousin had given me their names and I looked them up online. That was about when I began to suspect that Friend Brandi was drastically under playing her involvement in the Lexington horse world.
We left fairly early on Friday morning and arrived at Brandi's farm. Well. Her house was about half a mile back off the road, in the middle of a perfectly beautiful 400 acre farm, most of which they own. The house is a beautiful big 5 bedroom house that is set on a hill.
She got us settled in our rooms for the weekend, and then drove us around the farm showing us some of the 130 horses. One of those was Red Ruby who won the Black Eyed Susan, the filly Preakness race. Very pretty filly. She has a slight injury and won't be ready to race again until after the first of the year. Very disappointing for them, because she was headed to the Breeders' Cup. Also, in a few months, watch for a horse named Exclamation Point. He has won his first three races. He is home resting for a bit too before going back to the track.
There are houses, barns and paddocks and horses all over the place. They have 4 guys working for them, two of whom live in houses on the farm.
We had to end the beautiful tour when said we were going to the castle. Just outside of Lexington is a huge European style castle, complete with turrets and notched upper walls. We took a tour of the whole place and learned quite a bit about it. Kentucy Castle, for anyone who wants to see.
We left the castle, went to a nice little pub sort of place for a late lunch, then back to the farm where we got cleaned up to go to a breeders' appreciation party at Spendthrift Farm. It was just a small gathering of about 2000 people, valet parking included, in a tent that was about 200 feet long, with every kind of high end gourmet food lining the two long sides of the tent. At the tables, there was a little boxed rectangle of chocolate with the Spendthrift logo molded into it. Everybody got one of those.
While the three of us guests didn't really know very much about what was going on, we certainly enjoyed the good food. At one end of the tent was a 20 foot screen, on which were videos and photos of Spendthrift stallions. They also gave one free breeding to breeders who had taken mares there before.
At the end of the evening, the valet brought back the cars, and left a large bottle of Kentucky bourbon on the passenger seat.
After a long HOT day of walking all over the place, we returned to the farm for the night. The 4 dogs were happy to make us feel welcome.
I crashed into bed about 10:00 and after mentally rehashing the whirlwind day, finally went to sleep.
Saturday morning started with a delicious home made breakfast. Then, off to Keeneland to watch some early morning gallops from the close-up view from the rail. The Keeneland yearling sales have been going on all week and Brandi and husband had some selling. We walked around and finally landed in the glass hallway outside the auction room. The auctioneers were singing their songs and selling horses for big dollars.
Brandi contacted a friend of her to see if we could go see the stallion barn at WinStar. I remembered how beautiful that barn was when the foops were there 15 year ago. He said for us to come right then, so off we went..
There is a brand new stallion barn that will house around 25 stallions. As it happened, there were several prospective breeders looking at the stallions. We saw a parade of top stallions. Always Dreaming, Super Saver, and several others. The breeders saw what they wanted and left. Brandi's friend happens to be the stallion manager. He quietly told Brandi to meet him at another smaller barn nearby. We got out of the car and followed him into a nice, but not extravagant 16 stall barn. He stopped by the refrigerator and led us on through the barn to a paddock. He called to the horse in that paddock, then handed each of us some baby carrots that we could feed to JUSTIFY!!!!!!! Yes. Justify!!!!! We were all trying not to act like silly teenagers over a rock star. It was sooooo COOL!!! Cousin decided she would never wash that hand again. ROFL
A groom came out with a shank and led him back into the barn. It was HOT and he was completely wet with sweat. Just like Bob Baffert said about him, he will be nice for about 4 seconds, and then have you for lunch. He doesn't like to be petted or stroked. He bites.
He is currently at WinStar, but will be moved to Coolmore/Ashford tomorrow.
After that wonderful surprise, Brandi drove us around past some of the other beautiful and well-known farms. I could have spent days driving 10 feet and taking a picture, then another 10 feet. I did take quite a few pictures, but I'm tired enough tonight that I'll postpone getting them where you can see them until tomorrow.
Then, back to the track to sit and watch the yearlings being walked and shown to prospective buyers.
Oh, by the way, one of those prospective buyers was Bob Baffert, and we got a glimpse of Todd Pletcher too.
While all this was gong on all through the day, Brandi was giving us all kinds of "insider" information.
Yesterday, was Cousin's neighbor's birthday, so we 4 gals went out for dinner and a casual place with a good menu. The restaurant provided a completely sinful dessert that we shared.
By that time, we had walked and walked all day and were getting tired. So, returning to the farm for a relaxing evening was just right. Brandi's husband is the strong silent type, friendly, but not talkative. And, he's originally from New Zealand. I like the accent.
This morning, they had 4 or 5 yearlings going through the sale, so we decided to go and watch one or two of them sell and then start for home. We followed Brandi to the track so we could leave from there. Valet parking, of course. hysterical I had never valet parked in my entire life. It was free.
Keeneland does everything they can think of to make it easy for the buyers to get around the place and to be comfortable.
Brandi is such a friendly comfortable person to be around and she did everything she could possibly do to accommodate us. There were several things we just didn't have time to do in one weekend, so I sincerely hope we'll get to go again.
I GOT TO FEED CARROTS TO JUSTIFY!!!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 am

A good,read, for sure, Ellen.............glad you had such a good time.
Does Justify eat carrots any differently than my horses do? Other than
him earning 3-4 million dollars, I'm guessing not. I'll bet he was gorgeous.
What a great experience for you. Did you make your reservations at her house for next year?

I would guess it felt like "queen for a day"........................

Hope all is well with all.......................still praying for storm victims.................
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 6:31 am

WOW Ellen, what a wonderful weekend you had hobnobbing with the the rich and famous and petting Justified. What a treat to see how the 1% of the horse world lives.

My weekend was not quite as exciting. Spent it with a retired Full Bird Colonel & his girlfriend Pinky. Learning how to do the books for the PA MOPH from his 74 year old girlfriend secretary. Dean will turn 90 next week and is sharp as a tack, if his body wasn't failing him, no one would know he is almost 90. Pinky not quite so sharp.

Thank God daughter Amy has an accounting degree and has agreed to do the Quickbooks, I've been out of the accounting world for too long.

Ricky brought over 2 coolers full of beef to be given away to needy Veterans and people from the church. We'll deliver it this week, Ricky & Karen like to remain anonymous with their sharing, so we make sure they are in the back ground.

Many prayers for the people down south who are living thru that nightmare.

RICK: Glad you are out of the storms path.

ARK: Stay safe in all the rain you will be getting.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 10:50 am

ELLEN:
Wow. Just wow. I am just drooling over your weekend! Drool And to top it all off, YOU GOT TO FEED A CARROT TO JUSTIFY!! :dance: Yep, I am fairly green with envy. bouncy What a nice friend you have! How come I don't know anyone who knows someone who lets me pet Justify? Be sure to post pix!!!

I went to Spendthrift Farm once, in 1972. My mother was taking me off to college that day and wanted me to have a memorable day with her before she dropped me off. We saw the stallion, Nashua, whose groom told us that he wanted to come back as a stallion like Nashua in his next life. Apparently Nashua had a pretty good life. Spendthrift was a nice looking place, but WinStar has to be the most glamorous horse facility I ever saw. That was a good foop trip.

We are lucky about Florence here. It appears to be going away faster than they said. We had a lot of rain overnight, but nothing like they predicted. And no wind to speak of... It is still going to be rainy off and on today, but so far we have a bit under 2 inches of rain from the storm. That's messy and muddy, but not catastrophic for us. Flooding is going to be bad for the local streams and rivers for a few days. I am glad our creek is at least 20 feet below the level of the barn. It won't be a problem for us.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Graymare, he eats carrots like all other horses, but does not want to be petted or rubbed. "Feed me, leave me alone". The stallion manager said that he is going to be a hard one to breed because of his temperament.

Ark, we drove by the old stallion barn that we foops saw. It's still a beautiful barn, and frankly, I think it has more character than the new one. The new one is 3 times bigger, and very pretty, but much more business-like. You walk into a very large entrance/office that is lined with saddle cloths, a glass case containing Super Saver's Derby blanket of roses, and other memorabilia. The next door opens onto a large round area, lined with wood, where the stallions are shown off. There is a skylight in the middle of the roof that serves as a spot light. The floors are covered with "bricks" made from recycled tires. It's really great stuff. It doesn't absorb anything, is easily cleaned, and is a slightly cushioned surface that horses won't slip on. Of course, it isn't cheap.

One thing I learned is that WinStar rides the stallions in the fall, well after breeding season is over. They need a job. Not all the farms do that.

Another little tidbit of info is that some of the stallions do not like certain mares. They simply won't breed them. American Pharoah is one of those. He's picky about his harem, much to the chargrin of the mare owners.
Unlike most other breeds, ONLY live cover is acceptable. NO A.I. No embryo transfers.
Like most other breeds, they do DNA testing. A hair sample is sent with registration papers.

Brandi has invited us to come back, but no definite plans have been made. She certainly is an excellent representative of southern hospitality. She worked in a vet clinic with my cousin about 20 years ago, which is how they became good friends. They have maintained contact through the years, but she never mentioned how successful she and her husband have become. Cousin had no idea. She and her husband have worked hard in a business they LOVE and have done VERY well.

Yes, we all felt like we were queens for a day.

Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Hurricane/Tropical Storm Florence!   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Okay gang, we did not get blown away! Friday and Saturday I wasn't too sure about that. No sleep (or power) both nights. The screaming wind gusts and constantly blowing wind kept me on my toes. Scary to say the least and the heavy, hard, constant rain was unrelenting. I was not as prepared as I should have been. My wonderful neighbors (Thoi and Arty) brought me a loaf of fresh baked bread and 2 cases of water when the Florence Country Club (where they both prep and cook) closed the doors for the storm. Thankfully (or not) I have no huge trees in the back yard (thanks to Matthew) anymore except the old Pecan tree which withstood the horrid winds but I did lose all my pecans (and this was the 3 year huge crop). All is well now except it is a very sure thing that the PeeDee, Black, and Waccamaw Rivers are all going to flood big time. I'm within a mile or so from the Black but have alternate routes in and out. All in all, I'm a very grateful person! Thank you everyone for prayers and good thoughts!
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: More Positive Stuff   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 1:25 pm

ELLEN, I'm with Diane, I am green with envy, you got to give Justify carrots! Wow, wouldn't want to wash my hands either!!!!
CB, you are quite a relentless tracker downer! Lol, you found where I was lurking and called me out, thank you my friend!
ALL, when CB "found" me I was asking questions on a FB page about hitching a gn 3 horse to an F250. This is Robin's dream truck and trailer and now she is concerned about the height of the truck bed v. gn hitch and having the trailer travel level. My little brain is on overload with all the info I received. She was ready to take the 2017 truck back and getting an older model. I said "HELL NO" I just paid for that truck! I believe there are more than enough fixes if the height is a problem. Besides all that, child dreams of having a small weekender package, something I have no intention of wanting, needing, or will use. She swears she'll use it! We shall see, if she doesn't drive me batty (ier) in the meantime! Anyone want to "adopt" a 50 yo PIA?
ARK, am so grateful that we all seem to have made it through the storm with minimum difficulty.
TRUDY, it does seem that VA is doing much better.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Rose, I'm so glad to see you posting and to know that you are okay after the storm.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 8:31 pm

ROSE, ditto...................

Happy you're doing well!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2018 11:36 am

Here is the link to the weekend photos. A very amateurish presentation, but here it is anyway.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPCnD-c5gUtQ0l68Ahc8_cNEjmp0uWuE5YmCNE8/photo/AF1QipNp5q-fOzkHhk4ib3tzKR2HL4Y5ZFUGIN2qS3Ah
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 pm

ELLEN, it won't open.......it states error 404, not found.

Phooey.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Well drat!  
When I clicked on it, it came right up.  I had a lot of trouble getting the photos to the album and now trouble getting them to show.  I'll keep working on it.

Try this one.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPCnD-c5gUtQ0l68Ahc8_cNEjmp0uWuE5YmCNE8
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2018 6:06 pm

I heard from a friend and that link doesn't work either.  Call me very frustrated. I'll keep trying.

Maybe this one.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FBAwyki33XRgARJ5A
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 am

That works ELLEN......thanks for sticking with it.

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 11:51 am

I had as much fun as you did ELLEN.........thanks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2018   September 2018 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2018
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next