Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2019

Go down 
+5
Indyapp
DotAllen
Graymare
Ellen E
Ark
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DotAllen

November 2019 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 pm

ELLEN......the reason all of us who spent last winter here in So. Cal. are sure the rain was the cause of most of the breakdowns is because the track was unavailable for horses to school on for weeks and weeks at a time, and we all know that the only way a horse can be racing fit is for it to gallop.  You can't get air into a horse on a machine, or jogging it up and down the shed row..............and, while a horse can be healthy without galloping, without the regular aerobic exercise, it isn't going to have the air for a race............and without having enough air, you have a horse who's full of adrenaline, and wants to run, but gets leg weary long before the finish line and keeps trying to run at full stride anyway......so when it takes a bad step because of not having enough circulation to its extremities to control them, the results are devastating injuries.  It isn't a coincidence that horses couldn't school on the track and they broke down in record numbers in races, it was inevitable.........and the situation is like the elephant in the room........the horsemen know it was the rain, but they can't explain that to the protestors, or the media, or everyone in other areas who didn't know the track was closed almost every day.  So they're all scratching their heads and worrying about the footing.  I honestly don't know if a return to synthetic footing would make any difference in how long it would take the track to dry out between rains or not.......and,  hopefully, we won't have that kind of rain again this year.

Another factor in breakdowns lately is the fact that a lot of horses are being given a drug that isn't illegal  and doesn't test anyway......and I think the trainers think of it as a sort of supplement......but it's that stuff that they were hyping for post menopausal women to strengthen their bones.........only now they're not hyping it because there have been problems with it, and one of the biggest problems has been spontaneous femur fractures in the women who used it.   It's possible that some of the people who give it to their horses aren't aware of what it is or that there are problems with it.

It's nice to see everyone.  I've missed you!
Back to top Go down
DotAllen

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Back to top Go down
DotAllen

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Okay, well that's actually much worse than I thought it was. I shared the link here before I read it, and now that I have, and realize it isn't that trainers are thinking it's a harmless supplement at all.....it's that people are giving it to youngsters slated for high end sales so that their x-rays will look better to prospective buyers. Perhaps they and the vets who were giving it to their horses never even considered that it might cause problems..........and, hopefully, they've stopped doing this since more info has become available about the drug. How depressing.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Wow, Dot, interesting stuff............

The older I get, the more deceptive human beings are to high end athletes of any sort.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Dot, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't know the horses weren't training on the track for all those weeks. I have heard of some trainers racing to fitness, which doesn't make sense at all.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Hey RICK:
Congrats on being able to drive again! I bet your tractors missed you. I bet Carol missed you doing the mowing Laughing . Anyway, you need to post more often. You are missed here.

DOTTIE and DONNA:
It's so great to see you both here! cheers cheers

DONNA:
I can't believe it's been 19 years. I honestly don't know where the time went. You sound like a busy person, that's great! Going to a gym is something I should do.....

DOTTIE:
I remember reading about that drug that they were advertising for women to take to strengthen their bones. I think Sally Field was one of the celebrities who was a spokesperson. After several years of seeing it advertised, I read that the bones' cells aren't really replaced, the old dead cells stay rather than being discarded, making the bone look denser, but without the accompanying strength that new cells would have. The bones become more and more brittle the longer the woman is taking it. (Why didn't the drug company know that?) I didn't know they were giving that drug to racehorses, but can see why it might cause more problems than it solved.

Several years ago I had a bone density test that came out fine. Then I was diagnosed with acid reflux causing an esophagus problem. I was prescribed Prilosec for it and told I would have to take it forever. Eighteen months later I had a second bone density test and had lost 14% of my bone density from the first test. The Prilosec has been connected to bone loss. I stopped taking it immediately and didn't have any more acid reflux anyway. (Doctors love to prescribe drugs.) I have heard that many endurance horses (who tend to be somewhat nervous Arabs) are prescribed the same drug for ulcers and wonder if racehorses are, too, and may be having bone density problems from that also.

For those who might remember, my former riding instructor, Lori, worked on a movie last fall as their riding instructor and horse wrangler. The movie, "Harriet", is in theatres this week. I haven't seen it yet, but have seen some good reviews. She is currently somewhere in Georgia working on another movie called "Underground Railroad", I think. She apparently loves what she is doing. I sure miss my riding lessons!

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 pm

Today I had a brief visit from a great big hawk. He landed on the deck railing, about 12 feet from where I was sitting in the house. I strongly suspect his motive was lunch since there were squirrels romping around on the deck. It was neat to see one that close.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Oh boy.......today was Wallyworld..........they loaded the order, I drove home and it will
take another batch of time to put everything away. Another day gone by..........

The good side is I got a lot of stuff for the holidays..........
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Graymare, years ago, I got my dad a 4-wheeled cart to carry groceries when he lived in assisted living. He refused to use it. I took it and have put a lot of miles on it for a lot of different things. When I have lots of groceries, I use it to bring them in the house. It will also hold two 40 pound bags of softener salt.
It's similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Released-Grocery-Utility-Folding-Shopping/dp/B07HNTFSY4/ref=sr_1_23?hvadid=77927939584638&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=4+wheel+cart&qid=1573089128&sr=8-23

There are others, more or less expensive than the one shown.
Just a suggestion....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 am

Ellen, I have a 3 tiered construction set of wheels that I use.........and I wheel it right
into the back porch and go from there. It works for me even tho it's not trendy
looking. My friends laugh at it as it looks like something from WWI............LOL

No more Walmart for awhile, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
DotAllen

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 5:06 pm

I'm still stalling on a back patio because with the unfinished (dirt) back yard, I can drive right up to the kitchen door, and I love that.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 11:19 pm

Dot, just put pavers down and park on that.  Close to the back door is good.

Friday morning: It is 22° this morning. Winter seems to be arriving early this year.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 am

BBBBBrrrrrrrrrr.................our lowest has been 38..................last night was 48.
Fireplace time Ellen..............
Back to top Go down
DotAllen

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 6:10 pm

It's in the eighties here.........and windy again. The weather everywhere has just gone wonky. Personally, I'd rather be warm wonky than cold wonky, but it IS November, and this is weird.

ELLEN..........I've been thinking about just surrounding the whole house with pavers........so your suggestion has just reinforced my ideas. A lawn is out of the question, and I just don't like the looks of cement everywhere........and, since literally everything growing around the house has to be in pots because of the rabbits and squirrels, the pots can sit on pavers as well as they're sitting on dirt.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 12:32 am

DOTTIE:
Pavers sound nice. We have some bricks left from our old house when we replaced the floor of the kitchen. One of these days I am going to use them as pavers in my tack/feedroom.

ELLEN:
22 degrees is too cold. It was 28 degrees here last night and it only got up around 40 degrees today. Chilly tonight, too. It will be 61 degrees on Sunday, though, so Ivan and I are going to Pandapas Pond Park to ride. Hopefully he will be in a better mood than last time!

The farrier came today. He did mostly better on everyone....but he forgot to finish one of Ivan's feet. So Donnie will have to finish it tomorrow. I think he started it, then went to another foot for something, then forgot to finish the first one. Oh, well. At least Donnie can do it. After January when he has his knee surgery, we are going to be at the farrier's mercy for a few months.

Daisy's feet are looking very nice. If I ever get my arena back, I am going to start riding her again a little bit. Her diet and feet trims have agreed with her.

I am going on a teeny, tiny trip! Donnie is going to stay home to take care of the animals while I fly to Northern KY to see my sisters on Thanksgiving day. Then I'll fly back on Saturday. It won't be a very long trip, but should be fun. We aren't comfortable leaving Spookette with anyone else since she is so frail and Donnie is happy not to drive 7 hours each way for a short visit. For what I would have to pay a farm sitter, should I find one I trust, I can just fly. Very Happy

We interviewed a new carpenter to build our haybarn yesterday. He looks to be on top of things and comes with his own helper....named "Wormy" ROFL . He is going to give us a quote in the next day or so. I hope he works out. Our current guy only worked one day this week on the fence. He doesn't know it yet, but he won't be building that haybarn. When he bothers to show up, he can continue doing various fencing repairs or tree trimming.

Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Saturday Morning   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 am

Good Morning Foops.

I'm up and having my tea and looking out my patio doors at a white world! It snowed last evening and apparently through the night as my car is covered again. Too early for this nonsense. I don't have my snow tires on yet but have AWD so not worried, this snow will melt soon. Quite a bit down though.

I went to Hfx. with my friend on Thursday and back yesterday. She had an eye appointment and I had to drive home as she had her eyes dialated. What a drive for the last hour and half through the storm. The up side of the trip was that I got a lot of my Christmas shopping done. There was a hockey game last night and I thought I would go if home on time but I was just too tired to go to town after I unloaded the car. My two Granddaughters are home for the weekend so will see them today.

DOT, I had a deck put on the back and side of the house this past summer, I just love it. All the years we have been here I could never get Jack to agree to having one put on. In hind site, I think Im just as happy as it would never have been done as nice as I have had it made, lol. I spent the summer out there just enjoying the sun and relaxing.

Have to get moving now and start my day. There is a BIG craft sale going on in town but I think I will wait till later in the afternoon or tomorrow a.m. before church to take a run. Hockey game again tonight so will be happy to be back to that.

Have a great day. Stay warm.

Donna

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 pm

DONNA:
Your deck sounds really nice. I'd like one on the side of our house that faces the barn so I could sit out there, sip my tea and watch the horses. Cool Now to get Donnie to agree....
Good luck with that snow! ewwww..... We may get a little tomorrow night or Tuesday, but it probably won't be much or last too long. You are right, it is too early for snowy nonsense. tongue

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 12:33 pm

I love sitting in the barn aisle listening to the horses chew with the dog at my feet and a cuppa java...........it's music to my ears. It's so quiet and peaceful..........Slowly sip the java........

I've got the St Vincent de Paul truck coming Tuesday and will be SO relieved when
the stuff is gone.

Boy, the LSU-Alabama game was exciting.............the radio was screaming the entire
game...........Stalls got done very slowly. I don't even care who wins, it was just exciting.

HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY to all who served. My sincere thanks.

Everyone have a great day!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2019 6:51 pm

I am so grateful for good neighbors. One neighbors' son used another neighbor's gas powered blower and moved most of the leaves to the bottom of the hill. I used the tractor and ground them into dust. That whole part of the job was done in about an hour. Now I have to deal with the leaves up here on the street side. There are a LOT of them. The tractor is too big to work in that small area, and there are too many leaves for the walk-behind to handle. The guy who has been removing my leaves isn't doing that anymore.
If I can find somebody with a commercial leaf vacuum, that will make short work of them. BUT that is not going to happen for at least several days. Tomorrow's high will be 21°, going down to 9°. There is likely to be some snow accumulation too. It's too early for all that. We usually get until at least December before we get below freezing temperatures.
The guy who is supposed to take out my dock will probably wait a week too. Don't blame him.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 8:07 am

Hello everyone.  Happy Veterans Day...don't forge to thank a Vet if you see one today.  We had a Veterans Service at church yesterday where we give out plaques and special challenge coins to 5 or 6 Vets every year.  One of the older Vets fell down the steps to the stage and had to be taken to the ER.  After a MRI and Cat Scan he is OK just bruised and shaken up.  

Life has been so busy here in PA and now we are awaiting the first snowfall of the winter.  YUCK....I am so not a snow person.  The roofs are on the garage and house and the 2 sides of the house are painted where the hail from the tornado stripped the paint.  Just in time for winter.  I had to help the contractors paint so they could get finished in time.  They even paid me for painting with them.  Now that is something.  Getting paid for painting my own house.  LOL  If they hadn't drug their feet it could have been finished a month ago.  I told Tim, you know I'm supposed to be retired..sitting on the patio, sipping tea and watching game shows, not out on the porch roof painting the house at my age.  He laughed and said "it keeps you young, manual labor."  LOL

ARK:  You know all about contractors that find other things to do instead of the jobs they are supposed to be doing.  Our contractors are great at their job but getting them here is always a challenge.

Tonight we are going to a meeting to hear one of our Purple Heart members speak about the trip he took to Vietnam with 5 Gold Star Mothers back in 2004.  Such a sad trip.

Have a good week everyone.  
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 am

Good morning everyone. It is once again Veteran's Day and a huge thank you for your service.
Arizona is a huge military state and we have bands, parades and flags all around the state.
Many subdivisions have flags at the entrance. We have several restaurants giving free meals
to Veterans, free entrance to movie theaters, etc. Our Starbucks have free coffee. Many ads
on TV. I love hearing the patriotic music.

Wow, all those in the Arctic blast hunkered down for safety, I hope.

Everyone have a good day..............

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 10:56 am

Snow.  This morning when I woke up, there was light snow on the ground and roofs.  And now, 3 hours later, there is an accumulation of about half an inch, and still coming.

If any of you have an Amazon Fire TV stick, look for the Jeanne Robertson videos.  She is a very very funny lady.  I've seen little bits of her acts on YouTube, but these are the entire videos.  She is making me laugh on a very cloudy cold day.

I thank all the veterans for what they have done so that I can have a safe comfortable life.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 pm

How did you do with snow today, Ellen? Did you get much? Hope you get a reprieve
for the holidays.

Today was nice............I finished some more for the St Vincent de Paul truck
tomorrow......holy cow it's a lot. Anyhow, until they drive out the driveway
I will be stressed. Glad it's almost over.......whew. Then on to the garage.........
affraid affraid affraid

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 12:45 am

It snowed all day, and then lake effect snow tonight. Altogether, about 3 inches. It's going to be so cold for the next couple of days, so there won't be much melting.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 am

We had a second pretty day here today, after waking up to a hard frost.  We got up to 65 degrees!  Tomorrow morning (Tuesday), it will snow.  Boo-hiss.   But the snow won't be much, the wind and cold will make up for that.  We'll have a windchill of 12 degrees tomorrow night.   I can't decide if I should put blankets on my fat horses or not.  Only Areion isn't shaggy, but she is the fattest.  Decisions, decisions...

I rode Ivan at Pandapas yesterday.  Butter didn't melt in his horsey mouth, he was so sweet and mellow.   I had a very nice ride.   One of us needs a psychiatrist for those unexpected meltdowns that Ivan occasionally has.....probably me.  Rolling Eyes   It was so nice in the woods even though the fall leaves have pretty much gone.  

Donnie took a photo of us coming out of the woods near the parking area at the end of the ride.

November 2019 - Page 2 Dianei13
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 10:05 am

Ark, I'm so glad you have a place to ride, with or without leaves.

We still have some leaves on the trees, but they are covered with snow this morning. It looks and feels like January. The major part of the storm passed by last evening, but we are getting more than usual lake effect snow this morning. Most schools are on a 2-hour delay.
I feel sorry for the guys who will have to take out the many docks that are still in the water, including mine. That water is going to be COLD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2019   November 2019 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2019
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next