Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2012

Go down 
+15
cb
sunny 57
Karen E. Teague
Beech
TWHRider
Manygatess
tuffwheelr
marknsvet
silverdancer
Rick Angell
Carol W
Indyapp
Donna
Ellen E
Ark
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Beech

August  2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks, TWH!
Back to top Go down
Karen E. Teague

Karen E. Teague

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 2:31 pm

What a rough summer many of us are having from health problems to weather problems to wild fires. Prays are and always will be the most powerful weapon we have in our disposal. The bible tells us when two or more join together in pray the Lord is there. Lets us all pray for the health problems, weather and for those close to the wild fire.

The heat in Oklahoma has sparked many wild fires one of which might have taken out my sister-in-laws place.. roads are still closed so we can go and check just yet. If winds turn the fire could come towards me. I've got 6 horses 2 of which are boarders and 5 goats and only a 3 horse slant trailer. Might have to load goats and two horses and ride one and lead the others I won't lose my babies.

HUGS
Back to top Go down
TWHRider

TWHRider

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Karen, I know your fears, although not near as close-up as what you're experiencing.

I lived in SoCal's Low Desert for five years. I had three horses and a 4-horse open stock. Plenty of room in the truck to quickly load my dogs and one cat.

My truck was never un-hooked from the trailer, it was always aimed right at the gate on the alley, and I kept my horses drilled on "hurry hurry, get on up there!"; they sure went thru a lot of cookie treats during those fire drills geek

I was single and worked full time therefore still worried about not getting home in time if fire broke out in the foothills. Fortunately the only fires very near me were the stupid Meth cookers and they generally blew themselves up elephant

I hope and pray you stay safe.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Oh how scary Donnie to know just how serious her condition realy is and how lucky she is to have been at the right place at the right time to get the help she needed fast enough and a doctor who recognised her symptoms Diane has a guardian angel on her shoulder who kept her safe plus all the people who donated there blood and plasma to help her and also the people who are praying for her Diane is a very strong person and I pray for a complete recovery and continue to pray for her and you also Donnie for being strong thank you for explaining just what it is that happened to her
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 6:56 am

DONNIE: Thanks for sharing with us what happened to Diane. I sent that info along to my prayer warriors, who are busy praying like made for her, you and Anne. What an ordeal.

KAREN: Adding you to the prayer list and praying the fires will miss your place. I saw on the news it was intentionally set. How could someone do that? When we had those firebugs around here a couple of months ago it was a nightmare.

TWH: Gosh, poor Joker, he sure has had his run of horrible luck with farriers. It is good to have such a sweetheart of a horse to have to doctor. Love those good old guys who just stand there and know you are trying to help them.

SUNNY: How are things going for you guys?

BEECH: The Post Office doesn't ship dry ice any longer. You will have to try another shipper. When we get Pierogis from Pittsburgh shipped up here, they ship them in a Styrofoam cooler with ice packs, they arrive overnight by UPS.

CB: Where are ya girlfriend????

Love & prayers to all...

Back to top Go down
TWHRider

TWHRider

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 am

ManyGatess, "Pierogis from Pittsburgh".

I haven't thought about real pierogis for a long time - boy I miss them. I'm originally from the Shenango Valley. We had a couple of churches that sold them on Friday night many years ago. Back then the 5:00 rush was NOT to McDonald's or for a take-home pizza. It was to one of the churches selling Pierogis cheers
Back to top Go down
marknsvet

marknsvet

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 am

Many Thanks, Donnie, for filling us in on all the details. Hope it's okay if I share your story with the Foops on AMMI. Folks have been worried about Diane and joining in the prayer circle. Try to take care of yourself, too, 'kay? You need your energy. Hugs to you! cheers

Things are rolling along here in Minnesota. Fritz (22yr ASB) has finally gained enough weight for me to be happy. It seemed like he was finally looking good and had recovered from his rough winter when the heat, humidity, and bugs came around and dragged him back down. Ugh! So I upped his feed a little again, turned him onto the grassier pasture by himself every night, and he's looking good. He has a little "round" over his angles, finally. Very Happy Now the bad (to him) news -- he's going back to work to build up some muscle. He has None at this point. So today we're starting with 10 minutes of walk and trot around the paddock. Nothing big. Just a light start.

There's no interest on the 12yr gelding we have for sale. I jumped too quick, didn't listen carefully enough, and found myself overmounted with a horse that was greener than I thought. So we're looking for a new home for him. Not many people want a green 12 year old. sigh... I think he'll be a good ride eventually, I just don't have the experience to bring him along.

I'm hoping to try riding again soon. Up till now I've been unsure of the leg I broke last winter. I wanted to make sure I had it at least a LIttle stronger before trying a ride. And I didn't dare ride the boy I know best (Fritz) as he isn't up to carrying my fluffy butt around. But Hubby's boy, Billy, should be fine for a ride. He's well-trained and a good boy, so I'll just wait until Hubby is home and try a little ride around the pasture. Don't want to ride by myself just in case the leg doesn't cooperate. Shocked

Best get my rear in gear, tho'. It's 8:00 and daylight's a-wastin'.
ta!

p.s. TWHRider - I have a varenyki recipe I could share if you want to try making them. They're very similar to pirogi, mostly a country/regional difference, I think. My dad & grandparents were from Ukraine. Just holler.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 12:00 pm

ManyGates, thanks for asking about me! I could read but it wouldn't let me post and wouldn't recognize me when I tried to log in, This happens every end of the month when we go to the next month...and I don't know why. Sunny was spose to let y'all know I couldn't post...but me thinks she forgot to let ya know!

ARK and DONNIE And ANNIE too....my best HUMS are coming your way and have been since I heard you were sick! When you said colitis, I couldn't tie in to the Blood cells being so screwed up and that's why I said get a second opinion....geesh....I am glad they didn't just send you home with that diagnosis. (((HUGS))) to you and Donnie!

I am so glad you had your guardian angel riding with you thru all of this...thankful for the doctors who spotted what it was and did something about it aggressively Thank goodness we run into some really good doctors to balance out the not so good ones that we also run into.

Hang Tough...and you will come thru this! On a brighter note, are you losing any weight? What a heckof a way to lose tho huh? I hopeyou are feeling better really soon...and you take it easy for awhile....enjoy life ...but behave yourself until you get your strength back. Get a neighor kid to come help ya out and you sit with a cold drink and supervise!

My lil valley filled up with smoke last night and it came in my swamp cooler big time...I ran out to see where the fire was, but it was the wind bringing it in from far away! And then we had this huge dust storm go thru...looked like something you would see on tv in the Sahar Desert! awesome, but not so good to breathe in...but you don't often see this out here.

Hubby and I are taking the big camper down and leaving the truck in Texas for a bit so the kids can get hay in for the winter. The kids moved their horses out to the property and then they couldn't get the water to pump! ACKKKK! Hubby and I both thought, "is the well dry". Oh my we freaked out! so an electrician was called out and he flipped a switch on the pump and walah! WATER! Don't we all feel silly! The guy didn't even want to charge the kids anything, he said it was his way of thanking them for their service, they were both in uniform! But they insisted he at least take some gas money and went out and bought him a beer as it was HOT! and he went with them and they made a new friend! Makes ya feel good when folks appreciate the military...sends lil shivers down your spine. Anyway, we will leave here the 19th and be back on the 25 or 26th. Jaemi is going to take care of the critters here. so I can go and help drive...and I know she will take care of them all. First leg of our jouney move! memorable move I have no doubt! LOL rabbit rabbit bounce

Well there, I made up for not being able to post for days now!

HUMMIN for all those in dought areas and near fires, please remain safe! I worry about getting all my critters out in case of fire...I had to evacuate once this year already, and my kid jaemi we helped her evacuate once when a fire was coming her way....that is enuf for us this year to last a whole lifetime! Man does the adrenaline ever kick in...whewweee
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 am

I'm sure praying and hoping that we'll see Ark posting from home tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:05 am

I also want to hear good news on our ARK! Best news would be to hear her blood is back to normal and she won't need more plasma transfers...that is my immediate HUM for her.

It was hot today and will be hotter tomorrow...ugh...I have to go to the hospital on base to the lab and get some blood drawn...ugh ugh ugh...I'll go see the resident vampire!

Hubby is on his way home tonight after work...so we will have to get some things ready to go down to the camper, and work on making the puppy yard escape proof so while I am gone that week I won't have any escapees.

Sweet Dreams Y'all. I'm calling it a night.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 10:35 am

Still in Sick Jail. They will give me another treatment today. One reading is still a little high, so I'll be here another few days. I am definitely on the mend and feeling so much better!

I didn't know everything Donnie posted and am kind of glad I didn't!!
Areion chose this weekend to go after Kazi to establish dominance in a furious way,really beyond what Donnie should handle. So I had him call a friend with a boarding facility and she now has Daisy and Areion in a paddock with a run in shed.

Donnie loaded them right on the trailer himself. It was Areion's first ride in a moving trailer but with Daisy with her, she did fine. She is having a wonderful time there, but Daisy is depressed being away from home. They will stay there for a month. It has really reduced the barn chores.

Anyway I am still here and doing much better! Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 pm

so glad to hear you are on the mend and will be home soon sorry to hear Aerion decided to be a butt but glad you had a place to take her for awhile i am sure you will get better faster being home take it easy and don't try to do to much at one time
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:56 pm

SNOOP here: Rick and I were in ROANOKE Va. this morning and saw an incredible sight. We were on hwy 581 headed south to US 220 and passed by CARILON Hospital. About the time Rick started telling me about ARK...I'm sure I saw her waving her old AMMI T-shirt like a flag and doing some sort of dance along side the road. We were going pretty fast so that's about all I can tell you.

Love to all...and a special hug to ARK....

Snoop
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:06 pm

If I were closer I'd be there to help out! Horses will be horses and when we least expect, eh? My new lil palomino appy mare is an aggressive one. I think I should put her in with Tank and let him sort her out, but I don't want any lameness for making a ling trip on either of them...so won't do that...and Maggie tolerates her well, and just stays out of her way, so that's a good thing. Good you have a safe haven for the mares, and it will help having less to care for and do for when you are home also, for a short time...that's good.

Just hearing that you feel better is the best news! YAY! ClappingHands :dance: We will have a party when you get to go home! :dance: and we are all very thankful that you are getting better.

Well, went to do bloodwork and the doc ordered a test they can't do at my lab, so hence the test being on one sheet, they couldn't do any of them! pfffttt...starved myself for nuthin! Got some groceries and puppy shots and wormer for my babies ...so it wasn't a total loss!

Hubby is taking a nap now in the hottest part of the day and I fell asleep in my recliner with my puter on my lap a bit ago....geesh...gettin old here!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Ark, I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. I know you want to go home, but it sure is better to have a place stay where they can make sure you will get well.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 6:34 am

Good morning everyone.

ARK: Wonderful to see you posting and to hear you are doing better. What an ordeal. Donnie really filled us in and I must say...Holy cow (no pun intended CB). What a awful trail ride experience. First the nightmare ride then your illness. I wonder if anyone else got sick from eating the food you ate?

Sorry to hear your baby is acting up while you are away. At least you can rest knowing everyone is safe while they are at the other barn and Donnie & Annie have less chores to keep up with. Funny how animals choose the worse time to act like fools.

TWH: There is nothing like good old Pittsburgh Perogies. We order them from a place called Pierogies Plus and they ship them anywhere. They taste exactly like the church Pierogies I remember growing up on. Every Friday off to the church basement to pick up Perogies for supper. The darn shipping is expensive but for a taste of home they are worth it. Pierogies are not a big thing up here in Central/eastern PA.

I'm off to work today. Have to clean up the mess I made on Saturday when the lock on my cash drawer flew open as I was putting it in the safe and all my change, paper money and stamps flew all over the floor. I was so angry, I just gathered them up and jammed them back in the cash box. What a mess...

Have a great day everyone (especially you Ark...get better and get home.

Love & prayers to all.

Back to top Go down
TallyPam

TallyPam

PostSubject: OMG   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:39 pm

That will teach me not to follow my gut feelings and stop long enough to check in on my Foop friends!!

ARK...I am so glad to hear you're doing better Very Happy but very unhappy that you have had to deal with this at all. Crying or Very sad Hang in their, girlfriend, you have lots of hugs and prayers coming your way. hug

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 pm

WHAHOOOO Silverdancer!!!! What a ride!!! Did you get to see the final jumpoff? We here in the US have gotten to see very little of the equestrian events, but they did show the jumping finals this morning. A jump off for bronze and silver .... Ireland wound up with silver, but what a nail biter it was. Irish went last and was FAST and clean until the last jump and he took a rail down. So, he got silver but WOW what great horses. And, they know the game and when they do good, they are totally aware of it .... Anyway, congrats on a medal well earned!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Finally I am able to post...did not realize that I was not logged in the last few visits and could not figure out why....duh...was not logged in...
so anyway I have been feverishly trying to keep up here with news and all
Ark, you have had quite a scare with health issues....glad to see that you are on the road to recovery...keep up the good work girl..we are all rooting for you
Perogies....where do we stand for them...I love them. Used to know this old Polish lady who was my friends mother in law...man...she could make some good perogies. Been a long time since tasting some home made ones.
Not much going on here...took my horse trailer in to shop for annual road safety check. I found that there was a "bad spot" on the floor right under where the horses back feet would stand...so had to drop the trailer to another place for some serious fixing. It is just a small spot that I could see but one never wnats to take chances on things like that. I think that I will get it back with in a few days th4e way the guy talked.
The weather here has simmered down some as far as the temps go...more reasonable temps this week. Thank good ness.
Back to top Go down
TWHRider

TWHRider

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 pm

ARK, I am also happy to see you posting. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way Very Happy

marknsvet, I would love your pierogi recipe! Although I'm waiting for cooler weather before I attempt them Very Happy

manygatess, oh my goodnes Pierogies Plus has a website! If I bomb off on marknsvet's recipe, I know who to call. I know shipping will be expensive but jeez, maybe later in the Fall/early winter, I could rationalize it as a Christmas present to myself cheers

Not much new here. Humidity still stinks big time<--oppressive is a good word but it's still an understatement. You know things are bad when it's 10:30 AM and the horses STILL don't want to leave the fans behind for life in the pasture rear

Along with the torn ligament, Joker also has sesamoiditis. Tuesday I was allowed to take the cast off the vet had put on Saturday. I clay-poultice Joker twice a day, vet wrap around that, then put a human ace bandage on him from the knee down and around the fetlock joint. He really seems to like that ace bandage, which is good because it is way too hot to put the SMB boots on him; they hold too much heat.

He's relegated to about 3/4 acre in side barnyard because that's only flat place I have that's separate from the main pasture. My Arab is a great babysitter so he's stuck over there too - lol lol I tried putting my alpha TWH in with Joker but, even in his old age, he looked at me the second day and said I am a herd leader not a sick bay babysitter - lol lol

I know Joker is still not feeling well because the Arab, who is second in command, let Joker get his water when I first turned them out. The Arab won't stand for that, unless someone is sick. They have water in their stalls but they always drink from the tub as soon as they get outside.

That's it for my excitement shrug
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:21 pm

ARK, I am so glad to read your posts. I read the report that Donnie had put on here (through Svet on AMMI) and immediately sent him a text. I had a cell number (for him) that you had given me a long time ago, don't know if it is still active. Anyway, didn't hear back from him so maybe it didn't get there, lol. I wanted him to tell you I was hummin as loud as I could and you were always in my thoughts. Big HUGS to you dearie, hope to see you posting from home soon.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Hoping today finds you feeling a bit better Ark .... and, hoping things on the home front are going a bit smoother without Daisy and Mz.Smartypants!!!!! Prayers going up....
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 pm

ARK - I worry when we don't hear from you.

Here, I think I may have entered CB's exciting world. Yesterday morning, after I'd done my chores, picked bugs off the squashes, washed up a pile of leftover dishes and cleaned the kitchen sink,I boiled an egg for breakfast, stuck a mug of water for my tea in the microwave, and was just about to sit down at the kitchen table to eat when, all of a sudden, almost instantly, the room began filling -- and I mean really roiling around and really FILLING, FAST -- with acrid smoke. It seemed to be coming from the stove (range), but it was so thick I could scarcely see the stove. I did manage to check to make sure the burner was off, and looked in the oven to see if anything was afire there but saw no fire anywhere, so I turned the microwave vent fan on (above the stove),raced to the fuse box to trip the curcuit breaker to the stove, then opened all the doors and windows so I sould still breathe to reach a phone. By the time I did, the smoke had started to abate, and I figured it was because I'd tripped the circuit breaker, so I called a neighbor instead of 911, though I was still close to panic. Neighbor was alone, flat in bed with a bad back, and her husband was out, so I told her, absolutely, not to come, and called another friend on her cell phone, who just happened to be passing by. affraid affraid affraid
Neighbor did come, on foot (no car around, either, though they have three) limping all the way down her steep, quarter-mile-long driveway, as did other friend, by which time the smoke had stopped. Whew.
Immediately after that, lots of talk about replacing the glass-top electric with a gas range, with calls to a dealer, to the gas-supplier, and to an appliance repair guy, and appointments lined up.
But after everybody had left, I began seriuosly rethinking what had happened, until it gradually dawned on me that the problem might have been in the microwave and not in the stove at all. scratch
Got another friend to come in the evening and stand by while I tested both.
Glass-top passed, microwave flunked.
Whew. cheers
Canceled all stove-related appointments,dragged an old microwave out from under the upstairs eaves, and sit here now happy as can be to have survived -- and not to be facing another horrendous expense.
Whew.
And boy, I tell you, I now know how very VERY fast even a little fire can prove deadly. I was proud to have thought of tripping the circuit-breaker, but, in reality, it looks like whatever fire there was just burned itself out. Lucky, lucky, LUCKY!

That was yesterday. Today was much better! ClappingHands

Tell us, please, ARK, that that's true for you,too!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Wow, Beech! Thank goodness you were still there and hadn't left the house. There would indeed be very scary!

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 am

ManyGates, don't they have pierogies at the fairs back there? I seem to remember them...but its been awhile.

BEECH, wow...that was scary! I still remember when my hot water heater caught on fire...smoke everywhere so dang fast! but I remember even more after the firemen/women got here and we all were waiting outside for the verdict and they opened the back door to let in fresh air and unbeknownst to them, also my two Big great danes! LOL...man we all ran outside when we heard them come pounding thru the house screaming run! everyone in the yard ran too! LOL...and then I looked back and realized the five of them were being chased out of the house by Bubba Blue and Splotch, his son! LOL...we had people leaning against cars laughing about watching that site! Big tough firemen in their gear running like the place was gonna blow! Laughing Laughing I stopped and called the dogs and the fire folks were amazed how friendly they actually were! tee hee..so they went back inside and did their thing and the dogs stayed with me I didn't even think they would open the back door!
Beech ya gotta watch that smoke! Dangerous stuff! Glad it wasn't too pricey to fix tho! thank goodness.

ARK: HUMMING...waiting to hear good news that you are fixed up and get to go home.

I sold 3 puppies today..I feel good that they will all have good homes. It does hurt to see them go...but they just seemed to fall into just the right settings today. Feisty lil boy went to friend Corina, she is getting into breeding doxies, she has bought 2 doxies from me and a Great Dane in the last few years. She loves my dogs! The quiet female pup went to an older man who wants a companion...perfect...and the feisty older pup from last litter went to a home that has 3 little boys, just what he needs with all the energy he had! So so far good happy homes for them...and that makes me feel better.

Hubby is on his way back to NV and I'm bushed. Y'all have a great night with sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 6:30 am

BEECH
Yikes! What a scare! Smoke inhalation can get you quick. I am so glad you and your house are ok.

Cb
congrats on puppy sale!

After waiting all day they turned me loose from sick jail. Donnie and Annie are now in charge. We swung by to see Daisy and Areion on the way home and they are fine.
We got home just about dusk. There is no place like home.....

I have to go to the local office for blood work on Monday, then possibly another plasma exchange if needed. I hope not needed. Then they will take this neck port out and this nightmare will be over!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August 2012   August  2012 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2012
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next