Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2020

Go down 
+2
Graymare
Ark
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 1:11 pm

August 2020

It's been so hot everywhere, I thought you'd enjoy a cool photo for August....
  Wink

August  2020 Unname10
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Stay cool, friends!!

It is still hot and muggy here with thunderstorms every day to make it muggier. The grass is happy, though! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 1:39 pm

OK ARK..............he's cool.............

Hot & humid today although it's still cool here this morning.............Well hot for you guys but cool fo us..........92.

It's a swim day for us...........

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 3:53 pm

That is a funny picture. I wonder how long that guy rode like that. lol!

This is the good news bad news day. The good news is the troops have gone home. The bad news is that the troops have gone home. We had a really good weather week, so we swam and borrowed the neighbors' pontoon, and rode the jet ski. Went out to eat twice, grilled other nights, or ordered in, Three went golfing one morning. Only one is any good at it. Made for some laughs.
About 15 hours were added to the jet ski. Alex LOVED it. With his lighter weight and a mostly empty gas tank, he was hitting 62-63 mph. His mom and grandpa both rode it too. A couple of others rode it here at my house where the law says they can't go fast.
We have a HUGE floating inflatable living room that is about 9 feet by 9 feet. Some of them were riding on "The Island" while two others rode on the jet ski and towed The Island on a tour around the lake. ROFL That was funny.
This morning they all started loading up. Holy cow! Why anybody needs that much stuff for one week is completely beyond me. They came in 3 SUV type cars, one of them pulling a small boat that was loaded up too. All those cars were filled to the maximum, and even some of the stuff went home with Debbie who only lives about 30 miles from them. They'll pick up the rest of their stuff from her tomorrow.
I can travel for 3 weeks with one large suitcase. Filling 3 cars is just beyond me. Oh well. I don't have to haul it around or load and unload it. NMP (Not My Problem)

I am going to sit here this afternoon and watch horse racing. Very Happy

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Its nice to be home....getting ready to dump
on us. Rain....only in the mid 99s today. Went to golfcourse and had breakfast on their patio. Good foid...good prices. We both ate for 9.82. Full breakfasts and doggie box.
Came home and worked on inside of house...looks much better. Still wiped out from our trip to yuma in the heat.
Going to bed tonight early. Morning pulling weeds out if the yard
Ellen sounds like you all had fun!
Whats everyone else doing?
Rough ride..lol..pony was cute...Ark.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 7:11 am

Happy August.  Summer is winding down although it is still so HOT here in PA.  Over 100 most of the week and 72 this morning at 5 AM.  Non stop A/C this week.  We set a record set back in 1955 for heat this week.  Crazy weather and very little rain.

We've been busy picking veggies and giving them away.  Tomorrow corn picking day.  Yippeeeee  Froze a bunch of beans yesterday and today I'll work on beets after church.

Ace celebrated his 11th birthday on Friday.  He had so many happy birthday text messages, he is a loved puppy dog.   I can hardly believe he is 11, where did 11 years go so quickly.  He has a dreaded annual Vet appointment next Thursday.  Not a highlight in his life.

August  2020 Ace10

My son saw his new ortho doctor on Friday and got great news.  His bicep is still attached.  NO more surgery on his arm.  Praise God...He did find out he has nerve damage and that is what is causing all the pain. 3 more months of special PT then another look at the next steps are.

Stay safe & healthy everyone.

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi...............it's going to be another swim day here...........cut some grass at 6 A............

Nothing else is new. I think it will be ice cream truck day.........We'll. see.

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 1:58 pm

TRUDY:
Happy Birthday, Ace!! Hard to believe he is 11 years old, but he was hatched the same year as Areion and she is 11. Doesn't seem fair that animals' lives go by so fast, or ours for that matter. Ace looks great! Looks like a very loved doggy.
We won't have enough veggies to give away from Donnie's little garden, but we did eat fried green tomatoes from it yesterday! We are already being covered in eggs, though, so I may try to find out if I can donate some to a shelter or food bank. Those hens are busy.

GRAYMARE:
Well the giant horseflies are out, so I guess it is hot enough for them. I just watched Trinket run into the barn being ridden by one. Areion freaks when one gets on her. Hateful creatures. The humidity here is the worst part of the weather. We are getting thunderstorms nearly every day and temps hot enough to steam us.

ELLEN:
Where do you put all those people when they come at once? Do they camp out? It does sound like fun, but what a lot of work! I bet they love seeing you and visiting the lake. I would!

CB:
Did you buy a house or did you return to the one you had? I am lost again..... Stay out of the sun!!

RICK:
Did you make it home okay?

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Ark, they used to stay in their camper that they parked in my driveway. But they sold the camper and truck a few weeks ago. My neighbors across the street was nice enough to let them use their house. They weren't going to be here anyway. So, most of them stayed there. Two stayed here in my house with the dog. And one stayed in the Hobbit House down the street.
The Hobbit House is a little place that was created from an outdoor shed. It's really cute and has all the necessities to be comfortable.
I do have the best neighbors ever.
As for the work, they do it all. I sit like a spoiled princess - doing my best to stay out of the way. They all bring or buy food and cook it and clean up after. There is usually waaaaay more than any of us need.
The only thing I have yet to do is dry and fold "The Island". That thing is huge and HEAVY. It rained on it last night so it will take a while longer to get it dry. Then, I'll ask Travis to help me get it folded up and put away.

It's hard not to think of Ace as a puppy. I don't know how your vet is doing business right now, but my cousin works for a vet. They are not letting any of the people into the office. They go to the cars to get the animals and take them back out when they are finished. If it's just for shots, they might bring those to the car for you. That might make it a little less traumatic for Ace.

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySun Aug 02, 2020 8:47 pm

No ice cream truck today...............guess it's too hot.

This is a good one.  Two of my friends decided to get tested for covid 19.  The date came and went and they didn't go.
They made appts for two different test centers.  About ten or so days went by and they both received telephone
messages that they tested positive for covid...................gimme a break............The news is so deficient in
its reporting.........We just stay in and wear masks when out, wash hands and use common sense.......AND stay out
of the fray..............

I still think Ace is a puppy. Where do the years go?

Everyone have a great evening.............

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 11:20 pm

ARK and others ... YES, we made it home on Wednesday afternoon after graveside service for LTC (Retired) B. Dean Angell.  He was retired ARMY Quartermaster officer. Ft Lee is a major quartermaster training facility.  Dean had several tours there as an instructor.  The family really liked area.

Jillian and Cambo also drove up on Tuesday for the family gathering and funeral home visitation late Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday evening.  She drove back home to Winston-Salem Tuesday evening and left Cambo ... he drove Carol and me home some in my pickup.  I was right proud of the young man.

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 7:19 am

We had blessed rain most of yesterday.  Thank God.  We were starting to worry about our well.   More rain to come this week.  We surely need it.  The garden is happy and so am I..NO watering today.We picked about 12 dozen corn and delivered it to friends, more picking this morning.  We took some to our freind Wilbert, he turned 90 last week.  He is a tough little old Marine.

Ace had a nice birthday and received so many birthday wishes he is a loved puppy dog by all who know him.

ARK:  I loved that snow photo.  Stole it and shared it with all my crazy horse friends.  Even though we are all horseless we can still appreciate a beautiful horse.  ROFL

ELLEN: That is how our vet operates also.  Not a big deal for us, Ace always goes in the back door because of his extra insanity at the vets office.  He still remembers them drilling a hole in his head when he was a little pup.  I understand his fear of going there, if anything hurts him he never forgets.  One trip a year is all he and we can handle.  It's a terror filled experience even on the anxiety drugs.  Not looking forward to tomorrow.

GRAYMARE:  That is just terrible about your friends getting positive results and not even taking the tests.  I heard another person say that same kind of thing on the radio.  Not shocked...they have to keep the count as high as possible and keep everyone scared to death.  It's a sad world we live in now.  

Stay safe, continue to do all the things us horse people have done for years.  Wash your hands.  Live and let live.  If the sign at the store says wear a mask, wear a stupid mask.  I have a great one.  It says "I stand for the flag and kneel for the CROSS."  It has a flag and a solider kneeling at a cross on it.  If I must wear a mask,  I'm wearing one that says how I feel.  I get a lot of mean looks but not one person has said a thing to me. 

Stay safe and healthy...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 11:52 am

Trudy they wouldnt dare with your red hair...lol
Give Ace a hug from me and whisper in his ear...you got this...cb sats so...and a belated birthday hug too.

We are busily fixing up the mobile home. It is very hard to find paneling anymore...guess we will paint afterall.
Raked the weeds out of front yard...soil is sand...not any dirt. Have 3 big berryless mulberry trees in the yard...makes nice shade.

Rick....i cant velieve Cam is old enuf to drive...wow.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 pm

Many here in AZ seem to be in the ozone layer regarding school starting.................many argue for the classroom
others state "you can't teach from the grave".....................Our country has so many problems we don't know
where to start. I really feel for all those affected by the virus and the economy...............and feel help less as to how to solve it.

Hang in there as this won't change soon....................just stay at peace and do the best you can and be a good neighbor.

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2020 5:04 am

Took Ace for his annual vet visit  All is well with him, for a Lab his age he is pretty good shape, a little overweight (aren't we all).  So glad that nightmare is over for another year.  All his lumps are fatty tumors, squishy and they aren't causing him any pain.  He is still sleeping this morning.  I gave him 2 tranqs before we went and it takes a day or so to wear off.   Got him some Rimadyl for his arthritis.  We both survived the nightmare trip. I swear I'm going to have the vet do a barn call, it would be easier on all of us next year.

Went to lunch with my girlfriends yesterday. We have a drive in place by the river where the girls come out and take your order and you can eat in your car like the good old days, when we were kids or you can sit at a picnic table overlooking the river. That's what we did, picked a shady spot and enjoyed out lunch. It was fun and the food was good.

Gave away 9 dozen ears of corn yesterday. ClappingHands ...got to pick 4 more dozen today to give away. So happy people are taking the corn and it's not going to waste. This years crop is a good one.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 am

Trudy, I have bought a few ears of corn at a roadside stand, over the last couple of weeks It's okay, but most was not picked soon enough.
Since I only cook one at a time, I put the entire ear in the microwave for 3 minutes, with the husk still on. Then I cut off about half an inch of the big end, grab the end with the silks, and shake out the ear. It comes out clean as a whistle without having to sit and pick out the silks. Sometimes, I screw in one of the ear holders and just pull it out of the husk. That works well too.

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2020 9:58 am

GM...i know rv places are selling their rvs like hotcakes
And rv parks that arnt usually full this tome of the year are packed even with the heat and amenities shut down...like pools...clubhouse...tv areas...gyms....laundromats and shower house is open....no dinners...no get togethers
But parks are charging the same or higher rates. Our fave park went from 285 to 446...no amenties. My payment on our lil place is 5 dollars less. 446 plus power ....so im nit out anything except water\sewer and garbage....for right now its suitable...off the roads...lil safer with protesters out there...cuz i swear i wouldnt stop and let them beat me...i would just keep driving. It would be in Gods hands uf they survive.
So many that knew they would lose their homes bought rvs to have a toof over their heads...way better than on the streets. My friend had her rv repossessed last month. She was in her car and tent. Its crazy.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Did anyone else see the Run Happy race at Saratoga? Tiz the Law won in a hand ride and a good gallop. He is the grandson of Tiz Now, the horse we got to see at Winstar when we were in Lexington all those years ago.
This colt even looks quite a bit like him. He is by Constitution and out of Tiz Fiz.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 8:00 pm

No dont have tv right now. 6 of us painted the outside of mobile home this morning. It looks really hood...had lunch if sandwiches...tater salad...baked beans...deviled eggs...guacamole and tomato cilantro dip and corn chops....sodas...iced tea...water...the others are coming to play a game tonight. We all took naps this afternoon...i had a short one. Hubby had a 2 hr one. Getting things done little by little...sure glad of some help. 97 degrees today. Got hot by 1130 ...started at 9. Gave up by noon...all of us feeling the heat.
Thats my exciting day...lol
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 pm

ELLEN,

I missed the race...........We had friends over to swim and lost track of time. I came in just in time to
see walking to the winners circle.........I watched the re run....................

CB, you & Harry get some rest..........don't let the heat get you guys........you have plenty of time to get the
trailer painted..............

Everyone have a great evening...........
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 8:01 am

GM...today we play. Going on a ride on sxs. We start early at 7 am....get back by 11 cuz it gets a little warm out there. Then lunch and a nap! Some inside painting in the afternoon.
The color i picked is too dark for inside...so back to WM for lighter paint. Ahhh well.
The outside colors were perfect.
This place will keep us busy for awhile.
Everyone have a nice day! Do something fun.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 8:01 am

GM...today we play. Going on a ride on sxs. We start early at 7 am....get back by 11 cuz it gets a little warm out there. Then lunch and a nap! Some inside painting in the afternoon.
The color i picked is too dark for inside...so back to WM for lighter paint. Ahhh well.
The outside colors were perfect.
This place will keep us busy for awhile.
Everyone have a nice day! Do something fun.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 12:44 pm

TRUDY:
 I meant to tell you that I was glad your son's bicep was still attached.  Ouch.  I have forgotten how he did this?  I hope he heals up soon.

CB:
 Painting is such fun....not.  We are repainting our kitchen a light green.  I am tired of tan in there.   Stay cool!

GRAYMARE:
 I can't believe they are sending kids back into schools before this virus is contained.  It wouldn't be my kid going.  Hallways are always packed between classes,  bathrooms are never as clean as they should be after kids run thru them, and having been a teacher, there is no way I would want to expose myself either.    I hope they start thinking clearly about sending the kids back into schools.  If adults can't social distance and use masks, how can we expect kids to?    

ELLEN:
 You have good relatives to do all they do during a visit!!  I am sure they enjoy visiting you and the lake.   I didn't see the race.  What channel do you watch the races on?

RICK:
 Cam is old enough to drive??  Wasn't he just born?  Wow!  I am glad you are home safe from your trip.  Did you feel the earthquake yesterday?  We didn't, although some around us did.   Remember meeting Mary Sue all those years ago at the Horse Expo?  The epicenter was at her house!  She lives half way between Sparta and Cherry Lane where the maps show the epicenter was.  I haven't heard if she had any damage.   I was out at the barn when it happened, but didn't feel a thing.  We are about 70 miles from the epicenter.

We took Ivan to Pandapas Pond Park yesterday.  I hadn't been there in a month... rain, HEAT, more rain, schedule conflicts, you name it.  Considering his lack of enforced exercise lately,  Ivan was very good.  We rode with three other horses that we had ridden with before.   There were two bays and a buckskin, all of whom battled horseflies in the woods.  I had Ivan dressed in his anti-horsefly outfit, obnoxious neon yellow, and he didn't have a single horsefly land on him.  We looked like a mobile traffic sign, but I'd rather not fight those flying shark-toothed monsters.  We had a good ride.   Very Happy

August  2020 Pandap14

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 4:03 pm

ARK:  Cambo is 15 yo. and now has his "learner's permit" to drive.  He must have a licensed driver of so many years with him and can only drive certain hours a day.  He also is keeping a log of how many hours he drives and how many miles.  Cambo is now as tall as I am and maybe an inch taller.  Also, his Mom and us have bought him a car for when he is licensed next June. That will make life less complicated after he finally gets his license.

I enjoy your FB postings with photos about your trail riding adventures. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I was awakened by the quake but thought it was the dog jumping on the bed. affraid  affraid   Carol and Charlotte both have assured me it was NOT the dog shrug shrug

I hope all is well with all in our group.

My love to all ... Rick

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Ark, Wednesday through Sunday there is horse racing from Saratoga on Fox Sports 2.  Sometimes it's on Fox Sports 1.  NBC Sports carries it too from several tracks around the country.

Last evening, we had a storm blow through. It wasn't all that bad here at my house, but not too far from there they identified the results of an F1 tornado with 90mph winds. Mostly downed trees, some power outages. The electricity here flickered a few times, but managed to stay on. TV and internet were off over night, but back this morning.
It was a very nice peaceful day here.

Last edited by Ellen E on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

DotAllen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

August  2020 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2020   August  2020 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2020
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next