Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AUGUST 2022

Go down 
+2
Ellen E
Ark
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 2:21 pm

August 2022

AUGUST 2022 Horses11
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 2:29 pm

Truer words were never spoken. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 2:30 pm

Welcome to August 2022!  

AUGUST 2022 Crazyh10

I do like this meme, despite its poor grammar.... ROFL
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 8:58 pm

Great pictures ARK...............yes, I've got horses in my soul............well blessed.

Everyone have a great evening. Nothing new here. Sunny, hot, breezy............

flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 3:30 pm

Happy August everyone...summer is flying by...

ARK: Love those pictures. Yes, I was born with horses in my soul. I've been riding all my life, I have a old photo where I might have been 2 years old with my Dad giving me a pony ride. And so it started...

I found this great book. Horse Girls...by Halimah Marcus. It's a paperback about 300 pages, a good read for Horse Girls..it has stories written by 14 different Horse Girls. I'm sure we could write our own stories and make a book.

HOT HOT HOT here again this week...spending lots of time indoors. Stay cool everyone...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 pm

I have an old picture of 2 year old me sitting on a big white horse in front of my uncle.  I was a very happy camper.  I also had a tiny little rocking horse that was ridden a lot of miles.

Cousins have been coming and going for the last week and a half.  The weather has been really good for a vacation at the lake.  It's good for swimming, and for sitting on the porch doing nothing.  The current bunch will be here until Saturday.  Then another family group will be here on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  Wednesday morning, I plan to sleep late.  LOL Sleep
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2022 12:23 am

The first horse I can remember being on was an old bony work horse in southern KY that belonged to an old farmer.  I was about 4 years old.  I spent the rest of my childhood wanting a horse.  Carousel horses, store front machine horses, pony rides at carnivals, and the occasional cherished ride on a cousin's real pony were all I got until I was 17 and my mother bought me a horse.  Bless her.....

Donnie and I rode our metal steeds today, we went for a bike ride along the New River on a hard top trail we didn't know existed until today.  It was so nice along the river!    Fun day!  

AUGUST 2022 Dianed10

I have named my new bike Bluebell. flower Donnie still hasn't named his, although he mentioned "Flame"... ROFL
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2022 5:16 pm

Ark, that sounds like a fun and pleasant afternoon. Smile

Today has been "interesting". Cousin and wife had been here doing laundry. She finished a load and they left to go back to where they are staying. Two minutes later, there was a LOUD bang boom crash. A wire shelf in the laundry room gave up the fight to stay on the wall, crashed down on the shelf below it and gravity did its job. Stuff all over the room and floor, but nothing broken.
Then, about noon, two cousins and I went to see a house across the lake and drove the golf cart to get there. We were ready to come back, got on the golf cart, went 4 feet and heard a bad sound. One tire was completely flat. We called a cousin-in-law who came to the rescue. He got the wheel off and we took it to a tire place to be repaired. I picked up the repaired wheel and he got it back on the golf cart without too much of a struggle. It is now back in use.
When I got in my car, I noticed that the plastic frame around the driver's seat was broken. That will require a trip to the dealer.
During all this, I was wearing shoes that I always wear. But with the heat and humidity today, I succeeded in rubbing a blister on my toe. LOL
Now, 4 hours later, I can sit in the AC and be grateful that nothing worse happened.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2022 11:39 pm

Tomorrow is get-away day for 7 of the troops. They have had a very good two weeks, lots of fun. Lots of eating out. Some fish caught. Some pontoon riding. Some jet ski riding.
Tonight, they are packing up all their stuff. One car will have a reasonable amount of stuff to take home. The other three will be loaded to the top, completely crammed with all their stuff. (I can't imagine having to take that much anywhere.)
I will have about 24 hours to get ready for the next batch who will be here for three days.
I'm thinking that Wednesday morning will see me sleeping late. LOL
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptySat Aug 06, 2022 12:02 am

ELLEN:
You have had a busy time! I bet they all enjoyed themselves. ClappingHands

Donnie and I are taking a boating class tomorrow.... all day long. Rolling Eyes There is a test. I haven't taken a test in forever. I am not quite sure what is involved, but it will be something different to do. It's being held at Claytor Lake near here, so at least the scenery will be nice! I hope it is interesting.

Many years ago I got a chance to avoid my one and only traffic ticket by taking a one day class. It was the absolute worst class I ever took, incredibly boring, way too easily passed, and made for a very long day. I passed it. Many there didn't. They were spoonfed the answers and still failed it. These people are probably still driving. affraid affraid

Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptySat Aug 06, 2022 9:28 am

Ark, it was nearly 20 years ago when I took the motorcycle safety course. I learned several things in that class that I use all the time. I was thinking about all the people who only had one drivers ed class when they were 16. The habits they have developed are still with them. Some good, some bad.
As for the boating class, we have an online boating class if people (mostly kids) want to take it. Three years ago, Alex wanted to ride my old jet ski but he was too young to be legal. So, he spent an entire day taking the online class. By the time he was done, he was "qualified" to run anything from a dinghy to a cruise ship. Yeah. Right. But, it did make him legal for the jet ski.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2022 4:36 pm

Wheeewwwww! The last of the cousins just left. Two and a half weeks ago they started arriving. Everybody had a good time, and I had a good time with them. They all clean up after themselves perfectly, so I don't have anything to do. But I have to admit that I will probably indulge in a nap this afternoon.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2022 7:20 pm

ELLEN:
You are the hostess with the mostest! Laughing I bet all the cousins had a great time. Did the two with covid get over it? I hope they got in some lake/cousin time.

The boat safety class had its interesting moments, but my poor back didn't appreciate the 7 hours in that chair. We both passed the test and can now drive a boat in Virginia for the rest of our lives. It's a good thing it is a lifelong certificate, if they made people take that class every year it would wipe out the boating industry! The people there were all very nice, though.

I finally rode Ivan yesterday. I hadn't been on him since we finished the 100 mile challenge on July16th. It's been a hot, rainy summer here. We just rode in the arena and worked on an obstacle, but it was nice to be back in the saddle. If all goes well, we have a trail ride on Friday at Pandapas Pond.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm

Ark, does Virginia law require everyone to take the boating class? Here in Indiana only teenagers under 16 who want to drive a boat with a motor over 10 hp have to take the boating class. Everybody else can just get in and go. Younger kids can drive a boat with less than 10 hp, although there are very few of them.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2022 10:20 pm

I believe everyone has to take a safety class to be able to drive a boat in Virginia. There were people of all ages down to about 13 years old. No one under 14 can drive one of those jet ski like boats, but with the certificate can drive any boat after 14. I am not sure how well this is checked on a river or lake, but there were law enforcement guys there to explain laws and such to the class, along with coast guard folks. There are fines and punishments for not having the certificate. When we rented a pontoon boat last fall, Donnie got a one day certificate after the boat owner went over rules and stuff with him. The certificate we got will be on file for our lifetime and we can get copies of we lose ours.

But I don't think I would trust me to drive a boat, LOL.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2022 11:19 pm

Indiana has reasonable boating laws, but it is up to the person to know those laws. Kids under 16 can't drive jet skis or any other power boat over 10 hp unless they have taken the boater safety course, which is what Alex did three years ago.
Any kid under 13 MUST wear a lifejacket on any boat. Over 13, there must be one available, not necessarily being worn. There must be some kind of Coast Guard approved life preserver for every person on the boat. Boats must have up-to-date registration numbers on the boat.
Other than the fact that a FEW of the DNR officers tend to be a bit like Barney Fife, the system is reasonable. This county has 100 lakes in it, so we don't see DNR officers very often. Usually, it will be on busy holiday weekends. Most often they stop people to check for the number of life preservers on board. Once in a great while, they'll get somebody for drunk boating. Those are the ones they can lock up for a month, as far as I'm concerned.
You will want to practice driving the boat or the truck and trailer. A couple who has both people ready to drive either vehicle can launch or load a boat in about a minute. Literally. The cousins who were here the last three days are really quick at launching or loading. Both of them can drive the boat or the truck and trailer.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 am

Graymare, where are you?
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 3:29 pm

I took Nelly to be spayed..............just resting on the couch with her. She is SO sweet........
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 3:30 pm

I know nothing about boats, but the weather is beautiful today so a boat would be a good place to be.

I love my vet. I hear all these horror stories about people not being able to get a hold of their vet etc. Sophie's laminitis has flared up and I put her back in the dry lot and back on some bute to go along with her supplements and I was running low on bute. I called up my vet last week and left him a voice mail asking if he would drop off a container of bute next time he was over my way. Fortunately I'm really close to the bypass that he travels on frequently. I hadn't heard from him and I just left him another voice mail asking if I could meet him somewhere or pick it up at his house/office only to find out that he dropped it off at my house this morning. I'll drop a check in the mail and we hopefully won't see each other until next spring for spring shots. I know he's going to retire someday. I don't know what I'll do then. He's been my vet for at least 30 years.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 4:36 pm

INDYAPP
I know what you mean about favorite vets. My small animal vet retired this past year, he was really good. I have transferred my small animals to the Vet School community clinic. At least there is always someone there. And my horse vet who is fantastic with laminitis also retired this year. He supervised the vet school farrier and they were a great team. I don't know what will happen the next time we have a hoof or lameness issue. I hope your vet decides to stick around.

GRAYMARE:
Poor puppy! She will feel better soon. I always hate taking cats or dogs to have that done, although I do it anyway. Some never notice much, others seem to tippytoe around for awhile. It's got to hurt.

We are in a cluster of thunderstorms. They haven't hit us yet, but they have a flood warning out for the county, so rain is coming. The power company was just getting ready to cut down a couple of trees in our yard that are under power lines. Lightning delayed that plan for the day. They've just gathered up their toys and are leaving.

Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptySat Aug 13, 2022 9:38 am

Good Morning All,

It's been a while since I have been in here. The summer seems to be flying by and I don't have much time for computer.

Don't remember when I was here last but if I repeat myself, excuse it, ol.

Had Grand Chapter for Eastern Star the first week of July and then I visited Allison for another six days. It was such a great visit, they live in the same province but five hours at least from me so don't get in many visits. When they are home here my visits are usually short because there are so many places that they have to go, visiting them at their home is wonderful. Visited John on my way home and had a stop in to see Jacks Aunt Barb outside Bridgewater. She is 95 and has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Sad In good spirits and will be on a hormone pill type of chemo.

My friend Helen stayed here with Fergie and looked after everything including the cats. It's great that she likes doing this and really its a vacation for her to be away from home (grumpy, cantankerous husband).

My friend Judy that had the stroke in June is doing much better and waiting to get to rehab. I saw her on Thursday and saw a big difference from last week. Made us both cry! Allison, Andrew and Ava were here on Wednesday for the day and we spent much of it together. They were leaving the next a.m. on The Cat ferry for Bar Harbour and on to Boston. Looks like they are having a good time exploring, neither one has ever been before.

Beautiful morning here, supposed to rain later and we sure need it! It has been so dry and I know a lot of wells are down, I still have four feet with a reservoir at the bottom. Could stand days of rain for sure.

Ellen, you have to be the favourite relative to visit! I don't have that many relatives to visit me and it always makes me envious of ones that do. Enjoy your company.

Greymare, hope all is well with you and your puppy. Spaying is a necessity and one that they get over pretty fast. We just done like to think of them in pain.

ARK, your metal steeds don't cost much to feed, lol. No vet bills or farrier service, Laughing

Oh, I have been watching 1883! Wonderful series and the back story for Yellowstone. That one starts again on 13 November and I can't wait. How many of you have watched the Yellowstone series? Cowboys and horses, what could be better!

Well, think I had better finish here and jump in the shower to start my day. Hopefully I won't be as long appearing here again. My Niece cant make her usual visit this summer. She has to be in physio several times a week and starts back to work first of Sept. My Son and GF are coming next weekend with THREE dogs! I don't bother having the place spic and span when that happens. Four dogs can undo any cleaning efforts pretty fast, lol.

Have a great weekend and all stay well.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptySat Aug 13, 2022 10:08 am

Oh, I almost forgot! I had an appointment last Friday with an Orthopaedic doc about my right knee. It has had a lump on the side for over a year and I was mildly concerned (I hate lumps after Tracey). It turns out that the meniscus in my knee joint has been pushed out to the side and is inflamed. It caused me great pain at night and anytime I rested it. He gave me a cortisone shot in the joint and it has been wonderful every since. He said I need a new knee and he was referring me to one of his knee/hip fellow surgeons there in Kentville. I know it is a long wait but he was insistent that the sooner the better so we will see when I get an appointment for a consult!

Donna likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptySat Aug 13, 2022 1:28 pm

Donna, I have great relatives.  All of the older ones have been coming to the lake for as long as I have; the younger ones for their whole lives.  The younger ones like to come because I have a good toy.  A good jet ski.  I have a small drone they like to play with too.  And water to play in.
Yes, the summer is rapidly coming to an end.  The temperature this week has been in the 70s and the cottonwood leaves are dropping off the trees.  They are always the first to go.  We'll have some more hot days, but the long stretches of them are over for the year.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 12:46 pm

I learned a very valuable lesson last night. I donated blood yesterday after work and was told not to lift anything heavy for 48 hours. Yeah right. On my way home, I rec'd a phone call from my hay guy wanting to deliver my last load of hay. I told him I couldn't help because I had just donated blood and he said no problem, I'm bringing help. When he got there I stood around and watched them work. All of the hay was put up in the mow except for the last 3 bales and they wouldn't fit. No problem, we'll just put the last three bales in the stall that I use for my daily hay. I keep around 40 bales in it, use that up then put another 40 bales to keep from having to climb up into the mow every time I feed. I was standing in that stall door way so I grabbed a bale off the wagon that was literally right outside the stall door and put the bale in the stall. Ooh, a little light headed. Grabbed the second bale and did the same. Ooh, very light headed. Grabbed hold of the wagon to keep my balance and watched the hay chaff on the wagon sway from side to side. Next thing I know I was sitting on my butt next to the wagon. My poor hay guy was ready to dial 911.

My barn is now full of hay and I'm ready for winter which is a great feeling, but I could have done without the last 10 minutes of excitement. They put the last bale of hay in the stall and we all called it a night.

Donna likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 7:16 pm

Doncha just hate it when the person who tells you not to lift is right? Tomorrow will be soon enough to move more hay bales.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AUGUST 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AUGUST 2022   AUGUST 2022 Empty

Back to top Go down

AUGUST 2022
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next