Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2014

Go down 
+9
sunny 57
Beech
Rick Angell
Indyapp
Ellen E
Manygatess
Graymare
cb
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin
Ark

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: February 2014   February 2014 EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 pm

February 2014

February 2014 Bssn

Happy Groundhog's Day!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ark
Admin
Ark

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Welcome to February 2014, everyone!

SUNNY:
My sisters will be in Orlando in three weeks to do a Disney Princess Half-marathon. They are only staying long enough to run, then will fly back to N.KY. I didn't want to go and only stay two days, so decided I didn't need to run 13 miles.....then or any other time  Laughing . I sure hope your weather is better by then!

OL'MAN:
Has your snow melted yet? I hope you and Virginia haven't gone cabin fever crazy with all this bad weather in January.

RICK:
So what are you doing with your retirement time these days? You surely don't need anymore wood chopped or stacked!

INDYAPP:
I hope you are feeling a bit better these days. Did you get this pretty weather today?

BEECH:
How ya doing? How is your horse? Is he still colicking? I hope not. Good luck with your team tomorrow!

GRAYMARE:
So who's coming to your SuperBowl party tomorrow? It's now February! The mare watch begins!!! cheers 

CAROL:
We haven't heard much from you lately. How are you? Surely the weather is treating you better in AZ than it would be in MN! Honestly, I don't know how anyone lives north of the Mason-Dixon Line after the age of 40.

TRUDY:
Thanks for the great groundhog pix! I hope he doesn't choke on his breakfast in the morning....or have someone choke him before his breakfast if it is sunny outside.... Rolling Eyes 

ROSE:
How are your puppies doing? That is quite a job. I would be terrible at it, first because I am not really a 'dog' person, but secondly because once it lived here, I would have a terrible time letting it go to another home.

CB:
Sold your last pup yet? I do like longhaired doxies, maybe I'll get one someday. I also sort of like longhaired collies that look like Lassie. My last dog, Kelsie, looked like a mini-version of Lassie, she was a largish Shetland sheepdog. I'd take another like her in an instant, she was such a nice dog.

Well, February is officially open for business! How is everyone doing?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 11:25 pm

ARK, I know you want the days to go faster to have nice weather, but the pups are only 2 weeks old right now! LOL Their eyes just opened and they lil pudgy cutie pies!

Well our cold front is here, yesterday 84, today 76and tomorrow only in the 30's! yikes!

We had a fun time at the roller rink for Baileys part today, the kids kept falling down, but they got back up and kept on trying! This one girl about 8, was right in front of me on skates in the eating area, and I don't know what happened but she went up in the air and I knew she was going to hit hard so I sat down behind on the floor (I can't believe I got there before she hit) and her head and shoulders landed on my thighs and my belly....whosh....the air got knocked out of me, but she was fine, her parents came running and we were still in our position laughing! Neither of us got hurt. Then a smaller girl went flying into the table where the cups and cake was and grabbed the table cloth....wheeeeeeeeeeeee....cups and plates and napkins went flyin everywhere! drinks got spilled...quite a mess....but no one got hurt! KIDS! It was fun! Hubby and I played skeeball....I did really good hitting the 10,000 hole a bunch of times...I impressed myself! Razz 

Well, stay warm and safe y'all. Sweet Dreams.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 2:45 am

ARK………………LOL, Faith is not showing any signs yet of being ready to foal………..so mare stare hasn't started yet……………..she's happily drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds……………….glad your temps went up a bit…….that way you can get out and work work work…………………..barnwork is easy, right?

CB……………honestly, lucky I didn't have soda or water in my mouth. Then I also laughed at kids on skates around the table pulling the tablecloth for security…….it HAD to be really cute and funny………………and you were the champ slamming 10,000 point skeet balls………..a good day, for sure. Brrrrrr, tho that's a big temp drop……………

O K, at least I'm on the Feb track now…………love the groundhog pics/jokes.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 8:32 am

Happy Groundhog Day. It's the BIG day here in PA. We are all awaiting the arrival of Phil and his prediction of a early spring or a continuation of the winter. Based on the winter we have been having and Phil's previous predictions, I'm betting on a loooonnngggggg winter. He rarely doesn't see his shadow. The count down is on. LOL

TUFF: Good to see you posting. Don't stay away so long, we missed ya. So sorry about your water line nightmare. Geesshhhh not a good time for water line nightmares.

CB: You saved the day and the little girls head. Way to go miss hero. I had to laugh at the table cloth experience. Kids on roller skates, food and drinks rarely have a good outcome do they? Gosh, I miss roller skating, grew up on skates, horses and at the swimming pool. Up until about 6 years ago, me & the kids and grand kids skated. I still have my skates, hanging around in the closet.

GOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS.......
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 1:38 pm

yeah, I bet I looked like Miss Gracefull trying to get my bod down on that floor lickety split! I bet people thought I was on skates too! LOL I didn't have a lot of time to react...but I did....I saw lots of folks laughin their butts off at our escapade! but that's alright...that kid would have hit so darn hard....you have a myriad of thoughts zipping along in your head ....of what to do...and I just plopped my fat arse down! just in time! We all laughed afterwards even me! Was glad my cushy bod could save her head. Its cement floor in the eating area, no carpet at all. She will have a tale to tell I'm sure at school this week! LOL

Bonnie, any news on the broken pipe? Hope it was an easy and quick fix.

Trudy, I havn't skated in years...and years...and years....Didn't even want to try either! I've been on ice skates as we had a rink in Boise so that was neat to go once inawhile and I've always loved ice skating, to me its much easier to do.

Graymare, now comes the hard part waiting until Faith decides "ok, its time"...

well, hubby told me to get dressed, I have just been lazin' around in my pjs, and I don't think he wants me traveling with him in those! MEN, they don't seem to be able to take a joke as they get OLDERRRRR! LOL

Later y'all, have a great Sunday. I'm not into football, but whoever you are rooting for good luck and Sunny Dawn, enjoy the commercials!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 am

TRUDY:
I think you people need a new groundhog!   No   

CB:
 Oops,  I got your litters confused.  I was thinking this bunch was older.
Good save on the little girl!!! Too bad about food...... Laughing 

Well I watched the Super bowl.  It apparently wasn't a very good game, more like a massacre.  But I only wanted to see the commercials and the Broncos' mascot anyway.  There were several good commercials!  I never did see Thunder, though, I missed the first few minutes of the game when he led the team out.  Did anyone see that?    I thought he was supposed to come out at every Broncos touchdown, but after watching for what seemed like forever, he didn't come out at the only touchdown they had. Boo hiss.  The poor Broncos could have used the cheering up.  I am not a fan of either team, but I could have used some cheering up by that time, too.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:28 am

Wow, that's football…………..Heavens, who would have guessed? The one that I thought was really sad was the focus on Eli Manning watching about the last 5-6 minutes of the game.
Seattle played great defense and Percy Harvey (offense) played great ball. Peyton even said Bronchos just couldn't get their offense in gear.

Meanwhile MZ More Oats Pleeze just enjoys her day…….football isn't even in her thoughts.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:48 am

I got to see the puppy love commercial, it was great. Really some of the others weren't so hot for being on the superbowl. I didn't watch the game much....we were eating dinner at Jessis' house as I came over tonight to be with the girls tomorrow, they r having snow day at their school about 3 hours from us, so will go home tomorrow.

We didn't deliver the mare today either, we started out after scraping lots of ice from the truck, put a blanket on her, she loaded right up, but when we got off our dirt driveway to the pavement it had a layer of ice on it....and we said forget about it! Turned around and went home. The memories of our wreck in Wyoming were running threw my mind!

Ark, Curly Sue had her litter on my parents' anniversary. Sassy Roo is due any day now.....probably over due....and I hope those two who found their way into that new wire pen that Harry built...one piece of wire broken and they were able to crawl into Bozo, my blue and cream male. All is good...he would have been the one I would have bred them too, just not the same time frame!

Well, the cold front is still with us....I'm trying to make it go away....but it sure is stubborn. Stay warm everyone!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 am

ARK: Phil has only predicted an early spring 16 times out of 117 predictions and he was wrong a few times there too, as he says, he is a rodent, not a weatherman. LOL He has a 39% record, sort of like our weatherman, who rarely gets it right either. Oh yeah, it's snowing this morning.

What a horrible Super Bowl and talk about confusing commercials...there were some I didn't even know what they were advertising. Guess I am getting old. At least the Star Spangle Banner wasn't mangled this year by a singer who forgot the words or howled like a sick cat. And half time...what can I say about half time. Bring back the marching bands. Yup, I am getting old...

Have a great Monday everyone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 am

I was disappointed with the results of the big game. I really hoped that Peyton would win.

The commercials were only mediocre. Of course, I liked the Bud commercials with the horses. Those were both good, but the soldier's return home was the best.
Trudy, I agree about the half-time show. I thought it was pretty bad. Must be geezer thinking.  ROFL 

We had a nice weekend at my cousin's. I almost got a smart phone. The other cousin and his wife were getting new phones and we found they had a plan that could include friends and family that would reduce the cost of the data package for everybody in the group. I was going to join them, but I couldn't get out of my contract with Verizon until November. Guess I'll wait until then to get a new phone. It isn't like I NEED a smart phone; I just want one. Oh well....
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 pm

CB you go girl. Quick thinking, (probably more like quick reflexes, not enough time to think about it) to prevent what could have been a serious injury. Made me start to think, How long until the government or insurance companies mandate safety helmets at roller rinks? They are at horse shows and skate board parks and more and more cyclists are wearing them...

ELLEN I'm with you on the new smart phone thing. I want one too, but don't need one.

I am so ready for spring. But it's not going to be coming here anytime soon. We have another big snow expected in the next couple of days, and I wasn't able to get the 2-3 inches that came down on Saturday blown off the drive way. I have to find someone to work on my snowblower. Something is not right. I can actually see a stream of gasoline coming out of the carberator wether it's running or not. From what I can see it looks like a little cap came off of this tiny thing-a-ma-bob. RICK I bet you could fix it in a snap. I also managed to get the truck stuck in the driveway. I don't know what it is about this truck, it gets stuck on spit. Any other truck I've had would have just walked out of the snow I'm on. Not this one. The tread is good on the tires so it's not that. My neighbor thinks that because it has a big engine it has too much power and that causes the tires to spin instead of grab. Sounds like he's grasping at straws to come up with an answer to me. At this point I'm ready to let it sit until May when all this snow melts and deal with it then.

Stay warm, stay safe and think SPRING!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Maybe your wheel base is a bit longer or shorter than other trucks....Our chevy was a wuss, but the dodge goes anywhere you point it!

Ark, I sold all my other puppies last year in August....no one was spose to have anypups until this August....but the girls got out on me and found one darn broken wire on the wire pen hubby built....even the bottom and top is wired.....I didn't want him to get out and he didn't...but the two girls did....go figure....guess the females are as bad as the males when its that time. Hubby has started on the kennel for me....I'll be glad when its up.

weather is warming slightly ....happy about that. We had ice covering everything yesterday.

Halftime stunk I think! have seen so many better ones! Have y'all seen the new Honda Odeseys....we saw one at the roller rink and Harry said, "whats a hearse doing here"....honestly, they look like a hearse....to us. Sorry if anyone on here has one!

I thought the same about kids weraring helmets skating....military and families have to wear motorcycle helmets all times, and now bike helmets too or their insurance MAY not cover any injuries....also horse helmets too.....cracking down.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 4:24 pm

CB, 1/2time sure wasn't my cup of tea……………….
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Swiped from Alma Lou's FB posting.February 2014 66802_282389918562746_488270381_n
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Halp, Foops!  Neutral  Neutral 

My laptop’s been seizing up something terrible, lately, so much so that many of you east of the Mississippi may have heard me screaming. Last month I took it to a local computer guy who added some memory and charged me $100. Didn’t help. So today I called the folks from whom I bought it (yeah, I know, 13 years ago…) back in the town where I used to live, and had a long talk. Need to get a new one, was the word, because Windows XP will be “discontinued” (what does that mean??) as of April, and is already not being honored in some quarters. (Eh??). “And whatever you do, don’t get Windows 8!” he said. So I’m to go meet with them for specifics about a replacement, Dell being recommended because they are among the few (the only?) still offering Windows 7. Question: What’s so horrible about Windows 8? ELLEN, I know you’ve just been through this…

Horse seems to be doing fine, thank you! Prancing, nipping, head-butting, yelling, not to mention eating gluttonously and BMing more than my aching back can keep ahead of. I’m not sure if the colicing was from all the abrupt changes in weather or not. We did go through a spell of five days or so after the colic, in which he refused grain of any kind, but did eat hay, drink water, and BM. Now I’m wondering if the bran I was giving him had gone bad. Back now to the old feed regimen. I have taken to blanketing him and keeping him in when the temperature plummets. He’s a good boy, and I’m awful glad he’s still around. He gives me big, slobbery kisses, which , at my age, I accept wherever offered. Well, almost …

Oh, forgive me, Bronco fans, but I enjoyed that game! I think my feelings may have something to do with our Tom Terrific’s losing to Peyton. Truth is, though, last week I couldn’t have told you whom the Broncos were playing -- and I probably won’t remember next week. I do agree about the half-time program (another geezer here) and I love(d) Renee Fleming! I don’t know diddly-squat about opera, but I fall at the feet of certain singers—most recently again, since her appearance on Downton Abbey (anybody watching that?), Kiri Te Kanawa’s. What she does with her voice is right up there with what Peyton and Tom do in their passing games (or used to) – or vice versa.  affraid 

RICK: I’m going to copy that global warming image for further distribution. Thanks!

ARK: I scratched my head a long time over that clever Donnie’s calculations for finding the leak – and I still don’t know how he did it.  ClappingHands  scratch 

INDYAPP: I too have a truck that gets “stuck on spit.” Great image! I’m going to borrow that, too, if I may.  bouncy 

Been incredibly warm here lately – up to 40 and feeling like spring. But we still have 8 to 10 inches of soggy snow everywhere, and the temperature’s expected to fall in advance of more snow coming on Wednesday. Our local forecaster reminded us that Groundhog Day is also Candlemas Day, on which we should have left “half our wood and half our hay.” I think I’m behind.  rendeer rendeer rendeer 
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi Beech. Windows XP will not have any tech support after this year. That's what they mean by it being discontinued. If you can get Windows 7, it will be easier. But if you have to get one with Windows 8, make sure it has 8.1, which is an update that helps with some of the problems with 8. If the guy you bought the other one from is still selling computers, I'd suggest that you get it from him and have him set it all up for you. Whiz Kid fixed mine so that the 'Start" screen comes on automatically. He also transferred all my e-mail contacts and old e-mails I wanted to keep from the old to the new. If he will do it, have him spend some time with you showing you how to do things. With all that done, it really isn't so bad after all. I'm still figuring out the Windows Live e-mail, but I'm getting there.
You'll have to have a password. DO NOT forget that password, or you'll be trying to decide whether to use your brand new computer for a door stop or a boat anchor. One more thing about that. When you type in the password which will probably have a number, use the numbers that are above the built-in keyboard rather than the number pad on the right (if you have one). If you do have a number pad, make sure the "Num Lock" key is turned on.
Hopefully, your own computer guy will tell you all this stuff.

I'm glad your horse is doing better.
Are you getting the snow that was hitting New York earlier today? We're supposed to get between 6 and 10 inches more, tomorrow and Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 12:21 am

CB:
I hadn't thought about helmets with skating, but I bet there are a lot of head injuries in that activity.  It should probably be recommended.  Not everyone will have a soft lap to land on! Very Happy
I was a skate-aholic when I was a kid.  I loved it.  Donnie never skated as a kid, so the first time he went skating was the last time I went skating.  He fell on his rear so many times he had a square bruise from landing on his wallet. Rolling Eyes 

BEECH:
 I think Donnie's plan worked so well  because the faucets involved were downhill from the house where the water line originates.  If the line was level, he would have had to come up with a different magic trick to find the leak.  He was within inches of the leak when he dug down to the pipe.  It's great when a plan comes together! Very Happy 
  I am very glad to hear your horse is doing well!!!  Congrats and good luck with the new computer!

ELLEN:
 We finally got the Christmas decorations organized and put up into the loft this evening. No  The bedroom has been a disaster area.  The cold snap zapped any energy I might have had for the project. But they are out of sight and mind now.  I may go minimalist next year.

RICK:
 My undies are stuck in the past.  I almost enjoyed the Superbowl half-time, but cannot understand how anyone can wear the more modern undies!  Laughing I am a geezer, too.

The mud has reached a new record depth here.  It rained all night.  We have mud that can slurp the boots right off your feet, leaving you in a bad situation.  It's going to rain off and on all week, but at least it is above freezing!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 am

OH MANNNNNNN....I have to be the nutty one I swear....we decided to keep the palomino appy mare....I had her sold, but the roads have been pretty bad Ten lashes with a wet noodle. I don't know what it is about her....I fell in love with her coloring and looks first ....right off, the first time I saw her....her attitude is getting better....hubby may just shoot me down the road if she does something totally stupid....wish me luck y'all. I am going to need it. I'm getting soft in my old age I guess! I've been looking on craigslist and to get something broke its going to be 2500....to get something at the auctions not sure just what you are getting or why they are they....so we have opted when we have a bit more money in our pockets to send her to a trainer and then we will decide to keep or sale....at least I'd be able to ask more for her if she has 30 days on her and its cheaper than trying to find a broke horse right now....and if we don't keep her, it will give me more money to replace her....BUT maybe she will work out and then I will have a 15 hand Palomino Appaloosa mare that you don't see very often.

Decision made.....we'll see how it goes. We paid off a couple of small loans/cards we had so that freed up a bit more money to spend on hay....I would spend it on something, so hay is good I guess....LOL
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:54 am

Thanks, ELLEN, that's a big help. I'll try to get something going tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 pm

CB, funny how your mare just told you she is staying………….I'm sure she is a pretty one so I hope it all goes the way you wish…………..our nights are cold here, too, for now, but the days are 55-60.

Hope all goes well with your computer decisions BEECH………….really glad your horse is O K……….

ARK, the dreaded mud stage…………..hope you can ride soon.

ROSE? How're the puppies?

Hi INDY……..your winter is a really cold one right now………..hope your truck
gets a new mind set…………….

RICK, scary analogies on the clothesline…………..LOL
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 4:21 pm

It started snowing last night about 6:00 and continued until about 1:30 today. I have a drift on my deck that is over two feet high. That's just a drift and not what is on level ground, but it's still a LOT of snow.

Indy, how much did you get?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 4:41 pm

no snow here, but brrrrrey cold with wind chills, down in the teens tonight and tomorrow night....much colder this winter than last....but not as bad as some others are having, so I will shut up and bear with it! I can sure feel the breeze coming in around our windows....am hoping we can get our addition built on to the one side, with no windows...that will help in that direction. I will have some skylights, but no windows, becuz they are just too spendy and it will be easier to build, and cheaper.

Hubby did his morning chores and went back to bed....I can't go back to sleep like that. But we do have our tv back on now, he has one in the bedroom and I have one in the living room....so that is a good thing, we may not kill each other in this cold snap when we are forced to be inside.

Hope all stay safe and warm! I look forward to having warmer weather, but we do need moisture in our area to keep the hay prices down...they go any higher and we may have to quit with the horses altogether. So far ok...we are hangin in there....now that we downsized a few.

Puppies are getting cuter everyday....you touch the sides of their mouths and they open their mouths thinking they are against mama Curly...they are so cute. Getting my puppy fix. Curly Sue has a pillow to lay on outside the kennel area where the pups can't get to her. She looks like a lil princess on her pillow....she is really digging it! Now that the pups are coming 3 weeks she leaves them a lil longer now....and can be very comfy but still overlook the whole kennel/box. Sassy, whom I figured was in season at the same time when they both got in with Bozo, wasn't evidently, as she still hasn't had her litter, or she is having a false pregnancy...??? Guess we'll find out soon.

That's it from our lil nook in Texas y'all.
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Ooooh, boy, is it snowing! All day...
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm

well, I tookthe plunge and orderd a kindle fire hd it will be here by next tuesday, my daughter swears by hers and says that I can do all the things that my computer can do it has 64 gb of memory and it was cheaper than a laptop, I can video chat with anyone that can, my daughter and I can keep in touch when she goes to Idaho, Jodi is going to help me set it up, I will let you know how it is
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

February 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 Empty

Back to top Go down

February 2014
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next