Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2020

Go down 
+3
Ellen E
Graymare
Ark
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Graymare

September 2020 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 4:56 pm

Wooooooooooohooooooooo. You're home............You'll sleep sleep sleep tonight................

ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Oh good! I was hoping you would check in today, ELLEN!! I am glad you are home. Now just do what they say and stay off that leg!! That gets harder the longer it goes. It's easy to stress the joint after it starts feeling better. Any plans for the other hip?

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 1:09 pm

Ark, my right hip is starting to be noticeable, but I'm hoping to get another year out of it before I go through this again. It isn't nearly as bad as the left one.
I'm not supposed to put any weight on the bad hip yet, but I am supposed to get up and move around every hour. I guess he saw a crack or something on the x-ray that could break further if I put weight on it. It does make it harder to get around. It's a little sore when I first get up, but all in all, not too bad.
And yes, Graymare, I did sleep last night.
My cousin has to work tomorrow, so I'm on my own now - except for a whole passel of good neighbors. One of the neighbors brought a chicken/rice casserole for last evening. Another one brought breakfast this morning. Another one will be here to help me get the compression socks back on after I take them off for a couple of hours. My neighbors are just WONDERFUL!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Ellen, when does physical therapy show up?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 2:37 pm

ELLEN:
You really do have the best neighbors!! wavy But then, you are great towards them, too, and they probably appreciate you as well. wavy I hope there isn't a crack in the bone.
There is a facebook page called "Hip Replacement for Horse People" that I read. You might find it interesting, too.

We needed a new chainsaw, ours is 40 or so years old and getting too cranky. We went to Rural King this morning where a nice fellow helped Donnie with the purchase. The guy wasn't wearing a mask, probably because he mostly worked in the back in the repair department. He and Donnie shook hands at the end and the guy immediately swiped his mouth with his hand. affraid affraid We've had a huge spike in Covid cases because of the university students that have returned. All I could think about was GERMS, GERMS, GERMS!! affraid I made Donnie use hand cleanser when we got to our truck, then wash his hands when we got home. Now I need to get him to remember not to shake hands..... Lifelong habits are hard to break.

Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 4:37 pm

The appraisal is for Bill's house, or what is left of it. His house was once the carriage house for the founder of Elkhart. The founder of Elkhart's house (right next door to Bill's) has been turned into a museum. The museum has always been interested in buying the property and turning it back into the carriage house. There was an understanding that they would get first right to buy should Bill decide to sell. But that was before the fire. They are still interested. The foundation has been deemed structurally sound, but with the fire damage we have no idea as to current value. So we're working with the museum to come up with a reasonable valuation for them to buy it.

I love those little round bales of hay ARK. Good luck with finding helpers to bale the other field.

ELLEN glad to hear you are home and doing well. Remember not to over do.

Everyone enjoy the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2020 11:03 am

Graymare, there won't be any therapy. I just have to get up and walk every hour. That's not as easy as I expected since I am not to put any weight on that leg. It will be at least two weeks before that will change. I guess my arms will get stronger as I sort of hop with the walker.
I am on an antibiotic that gives a really bad taste in my mouth. YUK!
Oh well, this too shall pass.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2020 11:49 pm

Hence the reason for mints Ellen......hope they help.

Today was cool (90) and wonderful.............

Hey, where's CB?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 10:41 am

Progress. I spoke with the PA this morning. She assured me that I am allowed to put some weight on the bad leg, just not all of it. That will make things MUCH easier. I am also allowed to stop taking the antibiotic that was messing up my stomach. So, good news all around.

Yesterday, Brandi, our Lexington friend, texted to see how I was doing and also told me about the Keeneland Yearling Sales being televised on Youtube. So, I was able to bring that up on my Amazon Firestick, and happily watched people spend some REALLY BIG BUCKS. There were 3 that sold for $1.1million and more. It will be fun to see if any of those are successful on the track. The sale will go on all week. The big dollar babies usually go early in the week, but there will be some serious money changing hands later too.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 pm

ELLEN:
Well you are sounding good! wavy That's great to hear! Have fun picking horses. I can't imagine having that kind of moola to buy a young horse on the off-chance it will race well. Good luck to them all! I kind of like it when the relatively cheap horse does well and the little guy wins big. Very Happy

GRAYMARE:
Are there any fires near you? The scenes coming from the western states are so horrific and tragic. How's the air? I can't imagine how folks are breathing out there....

No mowing for us, it rains just often enough to keep from putting up our hay. Some folks have machines that squeeze out extra moisture from their mowed grass and they can put theirs up a day or two quicker than we can. Unfortunately, it takes a bigger tractor, plus the device, and we don't have it. So the field is still not mowed.

Horses, donkey, birds, cats and dog are all doing well. ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 5:24 pm

I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Glad to hear you can get around a little ELLEN. Also that you no longer have to take meds that upset your stomach. I've had to do that and I ended up having to takes meds to fix my stomach that the first meds messed up. It was not fun.

Saturday morning my Optimist Club had road clean up. We sponsor a stretch of road and get out and clean it up once or twice a year. We always have a little contest to see who finds the most unusual piece of trash. My trash wasn't all that unusual although it was the biggest. I found a 3 foot florescent light fixture, and a commercial size cookie sheet. If the cookie sheet hadn't been smashed (it was probably run over before it made it into the ditch) I might have tried to salvage it. The most unusual was a belt with a skull and crossbones belt buckle. Reminded me of the rock group KISS. Afterwards we rewarded ourselves for doing our civic duty by going out to breakfast. yumm...

Looking to support the local therapeutic riding center on the 26th by going on their fund raising trail ride. Loveway is the 2nd oldest PATH certified therapeutic riding facility in the US. They were founded in 1973 and this is their 26th annual trail benefit ride. Its a great organization that gets a lot of community support. I've ridden Tiberius the past couple of years. This year I'll take Lilly and see how she does off property. Could be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Yay, Ellen you're on your way!

Indy, I hope your trail ride goes well and your friend's property sells for a decent price.............

Hope you can get your hay in soon, ARK.

My day will be good as it is cooler and I just had a shot in my lower back..........Woohooooooooo.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 6:25 pm

Exciting news from here!  
 Donnie just ordered us a 2021 Gore 2horse straight load trailer!!!  No dressing room, but light and airy and small enough to be pulled by our smaller truck.  I am terrified of driving our gooseneck trailer, but should be able to pull the new one myself.  It arrives here in 3 weeks!!!  I picked out this trailer after looking for weeks.  

wavy

Our gooseneck trailer is now on the market... Very Happy   And I get to pick the colors of the three stripes.... Cool

Merry Christmas to me! santa
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Oh boy, ARK.............big congratulations......Enjoy!!!

Ark likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Wow, Ark! That will be sooo nice! When you get it, you know we'll need pictures. Smile

Fall is here. 70s days, 40s nights. The lake is quiet except for the occasional fisherman. The jet ski is quietly sitting on the lift, waiting to be pulled out for the winter. People will start pulling boats and docks soon. People on golf carts are wearing jackets now. So are all the walkers who are almost a parade by here everyday. Their dogs aren't wearing jackets yet. The leaves are still green, but drying and the cottonwoods are shedding.

I've been enjoying watching some of the Keeneland Yearling sales, seeing people spending large fortunes on unproven horses.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Yeah ARK!! New Trailer, how fun! You get to choose the stripe colors. Is the rest of the trailer white? Do you get to choose ANY color for the stripes or just the standard, red, blue or black? I think Fuchsia would be neat. Or Neon Green. My trailer currently has vertical green stripes, but that is because it's been parked in the shade and mildew is growing on it. I need to give it a bath.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Friends Brandi and Steven had three horses going through the Keeneland Yearling Sales today. The first one brought $725,000, the second went for $180,000, and the third for $55,000. They have more selling on Saturday. I hope those sell well too.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 10:56 pm

ELLEN:
WOW, your friends are doing great at the auction!!  Good for them! :dance:

INDYAPP:
 It is a white trailer with three horizontal stripes on both sides.  I don't know the color options yet, they are sending samples for us to choose from.  Right now I am leaning towards blue stripes to match our blue truck that will be pulling it.  If they have different shades of blue, that would be even better! Very Happy

The front comes to a  point, which the photo doesn't show well.  A friend bought one three years ago and has enjoyed it.  I hope to be able to haul it myself.  Our bigger red truck, BART, and the much bigger trailer have always freaked me out a bit.  I used to occasionally pull our Brenderup with my Blazer, it wasn't hard to get around.    I have had two nibbles on our gooseneck Hawk trailer.  I would love to sell it soon!  Our Brenderup lives beside the garage awaiting Donnie's retirement to be fixed.  He wants to do it.  I wouldn't mind selling it as is.  

September 2020 - Page 2 Newgor10  Gore trailer.  

I am considering calling it "Owl Gore".   Very Happy

I know what you mean about your green striped trailer.  We are going to have to bleach ours after it sat out in the very rainy weather all summer.  

We had rain all day today from the hurricane.  No wind.   The rain is almost over now.  We only got somewhat wet today.   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 9:48 pm

GRAYMARE:
 You asked where CB was.  I just got an instant message on FaceBook from her.  Here is what she said:

"Ive been in hospital all week...getting discharged today...so guess ill live...My gastric bypass connection to my intestine is closing up...may have to have surgery
On clear liquids and soft food diet next month..will get re-scoped
.go from there...ugh......Been in N.M.  for three months...and lots of pain."

Get well soon, CB!!! hug

Last edited by Ark on Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 9:53 pm

INDYAPP:
Donnie came in from getting the mail today. He said we got the color samples for the stripes we can have put on the new trailer. I asked what colors were on it. He said four, we had a choice of white, black, beige, and avocado. I said, "You have got to be kidding!" He laughed. I said, "Why do I always believe you??" ROFL There are 72 colors on the chart, no beige or avocado at all.

So far we are leaning toward reflective blue stripes. No fuchsia is on it, unfortunately....
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 12:23 pm

Been so long since I checked in.  However, I've been watching, reading and keeping up.  Graymare and I have been chatting monthly and getting/giving info.  And occasionally visiting with Rick.  Ark, hope you can get that hayfield up soonest as I am afraid our Hurricane season is not over.  Congrats on getting a new trailer, one you can manage by yourself!  Hooray!  Our huge 3 horse w/weekend package is very nice as is the F250, howsomeever, I cannot/wiil not drive (or pull) the rig and we still have Robin's 2 horse that needs a little repair.  Ideally, if I could afford a regular half-ton pickup I would get the 2 horse fixed up so I could handle by myself.

I sold Cadillac Jack back to his original owner.  Hated to but he behaved so badly over last weekend at a camping competition that everyone felt he was too unpredictable and herd bound that he would be dangerous for me.  He continually reared, bucked and spinning.  

I am looking at an Icelandic for my probably last riding horse.  Going to WV in a week or 2 to see and ride her.  They are generally very easy going and are gaited with a super smooth gait.  Also looking at others online.  Sure don't want all this beautiful riding weather to go to waste.

Ellen, please follow doctors instructions closely so you can heal quickly and completely.  And prayers for CB of course.  Indyapp, pray things get easier in your word soonest.  My brother David, had his lower left leg amputated a few weeks ago after a 10 year battle with multiple surgeries for blood clots.  He is home and seems to be doing very well.

Lengthy post, but is all news here (I think).  Hugs all around ((((((((())))))))))))
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Rose, it's always good to see you checking in. At this time of our lives, you don't want a horse you have to fight with. You've spent your life taking care of the animals. It's time for them to take care of you.

Ark, you need harvest gold to go with that avocado. ROFL

Take care of yourself, CB. Check in when you can.

Whether or not the calendar says it is fall, it is fall here. The boat traffic has really slowed down. No swimmers now. For today and a few days to come, we are having perfect weather. Bright and sunny, clear and pleasant.
I haven't been out of the house for a week and a half. I think I might order a pizza to pick up this evening. Today is national pepperoni pizza day. Pizza Hut personal pan pizza, triple pepperoni will do nicely. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 10:43 am

That's a really pretty photo............

Hi Rose, thanks for checking in.  I'm very sorry to read about Jack but you certainly did the right thing.

Everybody have a great day...............
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 2:06 am

Im doing better. On a liquid diet until i have next endoscopy in october. Had a blickage in my stomach...hurt like a son of a gun! Ive been npo or liquid diet for twelve days now..
Friday i start soft diet...thank goodness. Im dreaming of juicy cheeseburgers! Even pureed.
Rose..good to hear from you.
Indy...hang tough
Ark..congrats on trailer
Everyone...be safe...take care...enjoy life.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 pm

CB, I hope then can get you feeling better soon.

We are still in a stretch of great early fall weather.

For the first time since February, a good friend came to my house with her serger. We gabbed and talked the entire afternoon. I'd bought some compression socks that were too tall and uncomfortable. She got them shorter and much more wearable. The socks are some goofy colors and patterns. If I have to wear them for a while, I might as well make it fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 pm

Cool, ELLEN.............strut like a parade...............

ROFL ROFL ROFL :dance:

Rose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2020   September 2020 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2020
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next