Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2012

Go down 
+8
TWHRider
Indyapp
Ol'Man
sunny 57
Ellen E
Manygatess
Rick Angell
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

September 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I pretty much had a slug day today. Just about every time I sat down, I fell asleep. I think several days of painting and running around caught up with me today. I feel fine now.

I had a blood test yesterday and my hemoglobin went up a little! Another test next week and then hopefully I will be done with doctors for a few weeks.

Donnie has seen Creampuff in the bushes a few times, but hasn't been able to catch her yet. She has reverted to the feral cat she was when we first caught her five years ago. He did catch the possum that has plagued us for over a year, though. He has the live trap baited with tuna tonight. We originally caught her with sardines intended for a weasel...which we never caught.

Graymare
Sounds like you had some fun with those colts! I would have liked watching that. Training Areion is becoming a high priority, she comes home this weekend.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 am

I have spent days only being able to read, and I've logged in hundreds of times it feels like...but no go, and then just now, it decided to let me back on! Every month this happens....and I havn't a clue as to why!

ARK< you take it easy....are you eating lots of iron stuff....like liver? LOL....Hope you can catch your kitty.

Greymare, sounds like fun! R u home now for the fall/winter/spring?

Weather is in the 80's here....still warm enuf to make one sweat while doing chores....and night time we have to slide the blanket on...its down in the 50's....mountains are already having temps in the 30's at night...brrrrr....too soon...but they do need snow up there to put many fires out for good. Benn a long fire season and smoky for far too long around here.

Y'all have a great night...sweet dreams
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 1:34 am

For the last month or so the board has done the same thing to me......I knew my password, would enter all the correct info and be told "that password and username is already taken", or simply refuse my access. I didn't have the patience to fiddle and fiddle so I would read and go on. Who knows......I would at least read and keep up. Computer glitches facinate me...........the month ended, Sept opened, I logged in and foom..............there I was. Silly.

BUT, that, too, is the fun............. bounce bounce bounce

TWH, how is Jack? (is that the right horse?) CB, at least you know you are headed off to TX soon and wont be in the cold cold winter. Sorry your weather is cooling too fast CAROL. ARK, really happy your blood work is holding strong.............hope DONNIE can coax Creampuff in, but at least you know she is O K and "around".......and, also, Aerion is just waiting for all the training fun.

Hope all is well with everyone. God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am

Hi guys. Just a quick check in this morning. Off to work AGAIN. My customers are now saying "we told you to take the full time job, you are here everyday anyway." tee hee They are right, this is the most I have worked all year and it doesn't show signs of stopping. Oh well, it will pay the darn property taxes and buy the dog and cat food.

It has been hot and muggy here, but Isaac's heat and totally yuckiness is leaving in the next day or so. Thank goodness, I hate sweating at 5:30 AM.

Ace is busy pouting, so I better get my hiking shoes on and get on my way for our morning walk.

Have a great day everyone.

Love & prayers for all..
Back to top Go down
TWHRider

TWHRider

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 am

Log on gliches in my world, too - not only with this forum but a few others and they are all based on different software systems. I give up trying to figure it all out.

The software for this forum will, at least, let me log back in.

Graymare, it's Joker - lol lol lol and thanks for asking Very Happy I think he's going to come thru this; at least well enough to let my niece ride him 15 - 20 minutes at a time whenever she comes to visit from Ohio. His toes might be ready to trim by next weekend; that will be the first they've needed something since July 21st What a Face To-date, I've only taken about 1/16" off the front quarters on his fronts and tidied his frogs up. I opened up the yards around the house to him and the Arab, so he can have a little hill work. Last night he came straight down the gravel drive to the barn at a nice walk and with a lot more fluid movement that I expected to see. I still poultice and wrap his legs twice/daily and he's still in his Boa boots on the front - he wouldn't be near as fluid without those things but at least he's turned the corner in the right direction flower ClappingHands

We've cooled down to the high 80's but the humidity hasn't gone away. I am really glad for the thick cloud cover. We got a good rain last night and naturally there's mowing that needs done but it's "too wet to plough" and, the humidity is as awful today as it was yesterday elephant

Ark, I hope you get your cat back in the house. I have a feral cat that's hung around for the last 3 or 4 years. His ten pound self got into it with my 20 lb neutered, strong alpha barn cat and lost - lol His jaw swelled up pretty good and he was sick enough that I was finally able to pick him up and haul him off to the vet. While he was knocked out to get his jaw lanced, I had them lance the other end bom He is soooooo much happier without all those family jewels and so am I ROFL :dance:

Manygates, I hope you're in the A/C on your job. I worked PT for a awhile then finally decided it was time to Stay On The Hill 24/7. I miss the interaction with my old bosses clients but, once my two metabolic horses started to need more attention, I decided "younger I'm not getting", and it was time to hand the reins over, permanently.

People thought I was kidding when I said I wasn't coming down off this hill but, I fill the 12 gallon tank in my Saturn up every 5 - 6 weeks; I am thankful to have seen a big part of this wonderful United States and even did some vacationing/fishing in Ontario, Canada in my younger days. Keeping my feet on my own farm is welcome, these days popcorn
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:22 pm

well, had my appt this morning with oral surgeon, he is going to have to go back in as he says its a piece of bone sticking up on the gum line....no pain, I just know its there and sharp, but I thought it was a piece of the tooth that got left behind, not the bone...OUCH...yall know my love of going to the dentist! NOT!

Then I got home to find Missy Muletytude had jumped the fence and was in with Lady the pony...the preggo pony....and trying to separate them was like taking ones' life into your hands....so I said forget that and just opened up the gate between the two pens and now the two run togetehr along with the two goats...but each of them has laid claim to one of the goats....and if Muley chases Ladys' goat, then Lady goes after her and chases her off...and same if Lady goes after Muleys' goat....but I have to say that mule baby is one cuttin' lil fool! She can dip and turn...can't wait until hubby gets his first ride on her....betcha he goes over a shoulder for his first dismount....she won't have to buck him off, she'll just dip and turn...LOL....

I found a necklace for my sis in law today...we try to outdo each other with the strangest necklace for xmas...all in fun....but she'll have to go a ways before she outdoes the one I found today for her! Its got mini xmas balls on it....purple gold and green, and they look like the old timey xmas balls that broke so easy..and white long carved beads...and then there are four black totems hand carved painted different bright colors. It's got to be African design...but it is unique! I thinnk I have her this year!

Trudy you are working way too hard!

Well, hubby stayed down this week and picked up an extra work day today....so won't see him for awhile...I'll probably drive y'all nuts I'll be on here so often.

Graymare, glad you are back, missed you!.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:50 am

Creampuff is still outside. After 5 years of sleeping in our bed,she doesn't recognize us while outside. Donnie bought another live trap today thinking the old one might still be stinky from the recently caught possum,so she has two traps set for her. He did wash the old trap, but have you ever smelled a possum? Pretty smelly....

I had the vets here today for Phantom, my 11 year old goat. After over an hour of poking, prodding, sticking and ultrasounding the poor goat, they don't know why he can barely urinate. He is Mr. Dribble. They took blood and hopefully that will tell something. I have to give him 3 shots a day for the next 5 days. That will be fun for all of us.

Trudy
You work too hard!

Everyone:
Sorry about the log in problems. I don't have a clue why it happens.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 am

I'd say Phatom probably has stones Ark, give him some time, they may dissolve on their own. Popr goaty goat. Casper is 12 now....been eating alfalfa hay all his life and is still going strong....but he gets up a lot slower now....he is with some friends at their place and they and their grands just love the goats and they have a nice warm pen for winter too...I thought the trip would be too hard on him.
Sorry about your kitty...hopefully you'll be able to catch her up once again, good luck.

Well, everyone is still moving in the Mule/Pony/goat pen.....good thing! I need a quiet day!

Have a good Friday everyone....and a better weekend. We have Air Force Appreciation day with a HUGE parade and free roast beef dinner with corn on the cob...and lot of vendors and the Air Force band will play all afternoon. Its a fun way to spend the day. Then on Sunday there is a tack auction in Boise I love going to...prices are great, if I can find someone to drag along with me...hate driving by myself with no radio or AC...like someone to talk to and suffer right with me! LOL
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:22 pm

whew....once again! altho someone wasn't so lucky....kiddo called me this afternoon and said "mom there is a fire at your exit...crap says I" I couldn't see any smoke so I drove my lil car up to the top of the hill and had to move over as two fire trucks zipped past me....it was a car fire on the interstate which borders me...and wasn't much left of the car! the rear seat and tires and the back hatchback door....that's it! so someone wasn't so lucky! Ambulance didn't take anyone away so I assume driver is fine. And they put the fire out lickety split! My daughters neighbor had a garage fire....it burned tothe ground....but the house is alright....been crazy today...

Gonna get down to a brrrrrr 22 in our mountains tonight....that should help slow that ol fire, but they need heavy rain or snow to put it out.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Horse feed / SWEET FEED. I just pulled the tag off a new bag (different mfg.) of horse feed to compare it with what I've been feeding Phony Pony. There are some differences, but i want to see what others are doing.

WHAT I NORMALLY FEED: SOUTHERN STATES SELECT with 12% protein, 3% fat, 15% fiber plus the "usual" minerals. This is a "textured" feed that I think means cause it is pelletized.

WHAT I JUST BOUGHT: was because I was out of feed and would NOT be home in time to purchase. I bought a bag at a feed mill where I was making a delivery. It is mfg. and sold "locally" and I wouldn't expect anybody except "possibly" ARK to have ever heard of it. It is "Performance Premium" mfg. by Performance Livestock & Feed Company in Lawsonville, NC: 12% protein, 8% fat, 12% fiber plus the usual minerals, etc. There is VERY LITTLE pelletized stuff in this ration...oats appear to be "whole" and there is cracked / coarse ground corn ALL readily visible to the eye.

The mare didn't even slow down when the new feed was dumped in the feed trough...she just went after it w/o hesitation.

As you can see, the biggest difference in these two rations is in the amount of fat.

Comments from anybody appreciated. (BTW...there is approx. ONE dollar difference in cost...PERF. Livestock being MORE expensive.) I don't generally do anything different in cold weather except provide a bit more hay for the gal to chew on. Right now, I'm only providing her with a bit of hay overnight...pasture is adequate and green.

Love to all....Rick and Dr. Snoop

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:34 am

Rick
Nope...I haven't heard of it. It sounds pretty good, though. I feed Safe Choice to my horses and ponies, although not much. They are all easy keepers. They would kill for grain like you described!

CB
Are you going to miss the excitement of Idaho when you move to Texas,LOL?
Nope, The vet called and they don't think Phantom has bladder stones. They don't know why he is dribbling. His blood tests and ultrasound show a very healthy goat. After his five days of antibiotics, banamine and vitamin C shots, they recommend benign neglect as long as he keeps dribbling. It may be a nuerological (sp?) problem or an undetected inflammation.

I miss Daisy and Areion and will be happy to have them home this weekend...despite the extra work of cleaning up after them.

Creampuff has moved out of the bushes and into the garage shed where we store hay. The live trap has been moved there,too. I sure hope we catch her soon. We have had our two outdoor cats locked in the main part of the garage all week to keep them from chasing Creampuff off. Cat wrangling.......
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:57 am

Snoop here to help ARK: here's a video showing the fine capabilities of FOOPVILLE Cowboys who are experienced in cats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 8:47 am

I went to work yesterday afternoon, expecting nothing out of the ordinary. Sherry was the gal who worked the early part of the day. She was supposed to leave at 3 when I got there. She stayed a little longer to help me put away a large shipment of machines that had arrived. Then the fun bagan. People started calling and coming, and we wound up selling 3 GOOD machines. We were supposed to close at 8:00, but walked out the door at 9:00. We decided we'd worked hard enough to have a late dinner. Came home tired and wired.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 9:11 am

Hard day's work ... job well done ... LATE DINNER ... sounds like a good way to sew up a profitable day to me.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:09 am

Rick, I don't like whole oats in my grain, they need to be crimped pretty good to get the hulls and dust out of them....but you probably wont have to feed much to her, if she isn't being ridden much or you will have an overweight pony! Mine get a cup a day of my grain ration, unless I'm trying to put weight on or nursing/pg. Not much, but they love it!

ARK, No, I"m going to like my nice quiet dead end street in Texas! Bloodwork isn't going to show kidney stones or bladder stones...so altho they don't think it may be,....it still may...but who knows with an old goat...sometimes they just say Baaaaa...and go..sometimes they linger...I hate that one.

Well, am off to the appreciation day for the AF in town, big parade, free lunch, and lots of vendors...

Ellen, job well done I'd say! woohoo!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:39 pm

CB
Blood work showed that his kidneys and liver are working after being poisoned by nightshade plants last spring...in the crappy hay. Urine sample showed no granular particles that might make up a stone. The ultrasounds of his bladder, kidneys and urethra showed no stones either. He has never had alfalfa hay which encourages stones...so basically he is a mystery and they are using the shotgun approach to try to cure his dribbly problem.

Ellen
Congrats on the sales!!! I bet the boss loves you today!!

Rick
I can't watch videos on this Kindle,but if it is the one of the cowboys herding cats, I love that one!!!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:52 pm

ARK...It is.

CB...When I said "whole oats"... lets just say I can identify the individual kernals of grain. They might have had other "processing" I'm not aware of and / or able to identify.

Later, FOOPS....you know I love you all!!

Rick
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 2:06 pm

I didn't see ultrasound...ARK...that would probably show them.....good luck in trying to find the reason why. I know potassium levels can get high and interfere with urine production...but that would have showed up on the bloodwork.

Rick, we use to feed whole oats in grain...but it was way too dusty...that was years and years ago...crimped or steamed/rolled are much better....but what did we know way back then! Not much...live and learn.

Everyone baled on me this morning about the parade...bunch of party poopers..so decided to stick around home as I'm going to tacksale tomorrow...won't spend as much money that way.

Puppies are glad as they are sharing my lap with the puter...they sure get comfy and look so cute....I have one more puppy to sell...it will be hard...the longer I have them...

It's gonna be hot today...about 95...tomorrow a bit cooler but we may have thunderstorms...I hope it pours up in the mountains and puts the fires out.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Ark, did you get Daisy and Areion home without incident? I'm sure they are glad to be home.

CB, did it rain and put out the fires? When are you planning to leave for Texas?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:38 am

some areas had a shower, but we didn't get any here, and the fires are still going strong with more evacuations in the Mustang Fire.

Our first load down will be first week in October...no definate date as of yet. Countdown can begin!..yessssss...hubby has to work for another 20 days....but he may have to get a part time job in Texas...so we can buffer our savings once again....by the time we pay for gas down and our septic tank....its broke city in our humble home.

Went to a tack atucion today and got some good deals....and on the way home Larry and I saw an ultra light plane flying REALLY low...we thought it was going to crash...and it barely made it across the interstate and over some small hills...I think we were both holding our breath....and then it started gaining altitude...whew....that got my adrenaline going!
It was so stinking hot today....reast of the week it spose to be lots cooler...I got burned today as auction was outside...first time I've gotten burned all year, and I wasn't alone in that...boy this heat just zaps ya! I am so ready for a nice long just warm fall....to get out and ride, and get moved etc....etc...

Sweet Dreams
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:44 am

Ellen
Daisy and Areion are home!! They loaded right up easily, butby the time we got home...just 10 or 12 miles...Areion was drenched in sweat and dripping into a puddle and shaking. She needs more rides in the trailer. Daisy was cool and happy.

We had a big horsey reunion. Ivan is thrilled to have them home. Kazi is less thrilled and busy re-establishing her place in the herd. Lots of yelling and throwing fists going on. Daisy is convinced Kazi is boss, but Areion isn't. So far Areion hasn't taken Kazi on, but is thinking about it. They were separated for the night.

Now if we could just catch Creampuff, we would have all our creatures home. She has moved further from the house and is now in the woods below the barn. Donnie got within 15 feet of her and she just turned and walked away. She has really gone feral.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:34 pm

Ark, I think that cats born feral are most likely to stay that way. Several years ago, JoAnna and I found one at an Arab farm, just a very tiny little kitten. She was never entirely tame. She was extremely attached to JoAnna and would do bad things on carpet if JoAnna was gone, even though there were litter boxes in three different areas. After several years, it finally got so bad they had to make the hard decision to send her over the bridge. While she was well cared for, I've often thought she might have been a happier kitty to have been left where she was, if she managed to survive.
If you leave food for Creampuff, she'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:24 pm

I feel bad for you too Ark .... just doesn't compute that Donnie can't even get close to her. Wonder what she would do if you allowed her to get just a little bit hungry if she would remember how nice it is in the house. Who knows what they think. ((( )))
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Thank Carol and Ellen.

Donnie saw Creampuff again this evening when he put fresh food in the trap. She acts like she doesn't recognize him even though she is sweet and loving to him while in the house. Her feral side has taken over. We are afraid a fox or coyote might get her.

I saddled up Ivan and rode him for a half hour this evening. We mostly walked, but did a very nice slow trot for five minutes. It was a nice ride. I suspect I will feel it tomorrow! I want to do the Virginia Horse Center Actha ride on Oct. 13. I have to get into better shape to do 6 to 7 miles.....Much better shape.

Daisy seems very happy to be home...:-)
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 pm

As we all get a little older, here's a video that expresses it very well with a good dose of humor.
http://stg.do/9i0c
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 pm

ARK, please remember one little thing....PACK your OWN lunch! LOL....I just had to say it! Just remember you are still healing inside...don't push too hard, but its good to have a goal.

I have to say the arthritis doc put me on something that is working really well for me...I walked up to my mailbox today and back and chopped weeds out of the yard...man those things can grow tall and green can't they, without any water on them at all.
But my ol' bones are feeling pretty dang good....can't complain anyway...altho I probably will! The first stuff he had me on gave me such a case of the "poops" I didn't want it and it never made me feel like this....maybe finally I'm on something I can take and like the effects of it. Hope it stays this way too!

Weather was beautiful today, altho the humidity was up a bit...but boy I got a lot done outside...and now I have to get the rest of the house packed up....everything out...by OCT 31.

Got my work cut out for me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2012
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next