Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

September 2012

Go down 
+8
TWHRider
Indyapp
Ol'Man
sunny 57
Ellen E
Manygatess
Rick Angell
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

September 2012 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 pm

ARK, please remember one little thing....PACK your OWN lunch! LOL....I just had to say it! Just remember you are still healing inside...don't push too hard, but its good to have a goal.

I have to say the arthritis doc put me on something that is working really well for me...I walked up to my mailbox today and back and chopped weeds out of the yard...man those things can grow tall and green can't they, without any water on them at all.
But my ol' bones are feeling pretty dang good....can't complain anyway...altho I probably will! The first stuff he had me on gave me such a case of the "poops" I didn't want it and it never made me feel like this....maybe finally I'm on something I can take and like the effects of it. Hope it stays this way too!

Weather was beautiful today, altho the humidity was up a bit...but boy I got a lot done outside...and now I have to get the rest of the house packed up....everything out...by OCT 31.

Got my work cut out for me!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:35 am

It's a bit chillllly willy out there this morning....almost time to drag out the flannel shirts...but not quite unless I was going to be out there for very long. Not complainin....makes the flies start out slower...and we had no gnats this year...to mention....I couldn't believe it....but not complaining about THAT either! I am humming that our trip in October will be without snow tho! pretty please!
Hubby has less than two weeks to work until he retires...altho he may get a part time job in Texas...we will have to see. He sure has more marketable skills than I do. I would like to take computer classes when we get settled.
Well, have a great day fellow foops and foopettes....
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Just a quick note to share...

What a symbolic day to get GREAT news. I just got my test results for the test I took in July. I PASSED!! I now have to submit work experience and undergo the background check and I will be an official CFP. (Certified Financial Planner) I am so jazzed!
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 3:00 pm

A huge CONGRATS to you and a giant WHAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO .... Big celebration is in order for you Indy!!!! Glad for you.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm

:dance: :dance:
Congrats Indyapp!!!!

That really is good news! They sure made you wait a long time for the results. I would have gone nuts...not a long trip for me, though...How will you celebrate?

CB
Not long until you move. Is Harry looking forward to retiring? I bet he won't miss that drive to Nevada.

They are finally cutting our hay tomorrow. Then I need to find a bit more to last until spring. I think dealing with hay is the worst part of horse keeping. They all cut hay for cows no matter how you ask them to do it for horses.

Pretty fall weather here this week.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 6:34 pm

ARK...not to be "smart azz" about your hay comment, but I'm sure its due to "volume", lower labor where able to use "round bales", "cow quality" is far less stringent than "horse quality". And GETTING them recognize the "necessity" for cutting YOUR grass/hay at the proper time is the 64$ question. Us horse people can be kinda/sorta picky in the eyes of cow people....and with reason.

Love to all....Rick
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Way to go, Indy!!! That's great news!
Are you going to help us plan for our retirements. (snicker) since most of us are either retired or close to it.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi folks, thanks for all the well wishes. This has been hanging over my head for about 5 years now. They changed the requirements that a Bachelor Degree is now required to get the certification, so I went to by boss a few years ago and told them I was interested in getting the designation, but to do so I had to finish my degree. They agreed to help pay for my college classes. So I finished my degree in business management which then qualified me to continue getting the education requirements for the CFP, which the boss agreed to pay for. It took me about 18 months to complete the CFP education courses then I sat for the test which again the boss paid for. So I felt a lot of pressure to pass the test on the first try since the company had so much invested in it. What a load off my shoulders.

Actually ELLEN, that is exactly what I do. Probably 85% of my clients are retired, and taking income off their investments with a goal of protecting the principal. It's easier said than done for some folks depending on their spending habits. And contrary to what a lot of people think, it's not necessary to have hundreds of thousands of dollars to benefit from the use of a financial advisor. OK, sorry for sounding preachy, I don't mean to but it sure is coming off that way. I'll add a smiley face to take the edge off. cheers

Bill and I went out for dinner tonight to celebrate. Had fish and boy was it good. I brought the leftovers home, but it's never as good rewarmed so I stuff myself.

Good luck with the hay ARK. I just had 250 bales delivered over the weekend and will still get another 100 or so before snow flies. Fortunately my hay guy isn't gouging me like some are around here. I guess it depends what kinds of cows people have, because I know the dairy farmers want really rich alfalfa. It's harder to find a nice grass hay around here than it is alfalfa.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:44 pm

IndyApp....great great news...very proud of you!

Out here the alfalfa hay is fed to horses and the dairy cows...it is high in protein, but doesn't seem to harm horses t as they live into their 30's...but that is what we can get readily here...lots of alfalfa grown and very little grass. I did get a ton of grass/alfalfa for the pony as I didn't want to founder her....she is way too cute for that...and once we get to Texas we will be feeding lots of grass hay as that what is grown the cheapest down there....and some alfalfa...right now its going for 12 to 20 dollars a bale.

Hubby retires Sept 29...and we will start moving the next week...tomorrow we go into sign apers on this place...think it is sold. I wanted to keep it...just in case, but really can't afford to do so...so ....guess its a good thing.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 pm

BIG CONGRATULATIONS INDY..............we're all tickled pink for you!!! It's wonderful to read of your road to the certification.

hug hug

CB, congratulate HARRY on his retirement...............it's been a long road fo him, also. We all wish you the best in TX..................

God bless. Prayers for ALL.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 am

yeah, Graymare, he's gettin pretty dang old! Razz He is looking forward to his retirement! altho he may get a part time job in Texas which would be good for him, I think...and pay for extras or have some to save again...as the prices of gas will pretty well wipe out the savings account. We will have lots to do down there...clearing the cactus and putting in water lines/septic ect....plus getting some riding time in together. We've led separate lives now for a number of years...I am wondering if we'll be able to stand each other day after day after day shrug affraid
We go in to sign the sales contract this morning, am sure hoping the folks don't change their minds...but it is bittersweet to give up our place here in Idaho...but like friend Sunny has said to me Just do it!....and I know it will make things esier financially on us. Hubb is home and taking a wee nap before we go into town. He said its colder here than in NV! It was 17 about an hour northof us this mroning...brrrrrr...low 40's here last night...we need to get crackin...before the snow flies in those passes!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 pm

congratulations IndyApp so proud of you ,,you have accomplished a lot and hope for the very best for your future, September 2012 - Page 3 407633263 September 2012 - Page 3 407633263 September 2012 - Page 3 4175501327 September 2012 - Page 3 4175501327 September 2012 - Page 3 4175501327 September 2012 - Page 3 4175501327 September 2012 - Page 3 4175501327
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 pm

We're home..................whew, a bit warm, about 90 I think.......we drove out of snow and rain.....the snow will not stay, as Indian summer will return to the mtns by Fri-Sat..............anyhow, it was fun and glad we have our pipes all drained and filled with antifreeze..................so, will wait for next May to head out again.

I am not sure when I will go get Faith........prob Fri or Sat...................not sure, I have to check.

No other news as I haven't spoken to anyone.....my hoe computer is on the fritz I guess as I can't get online........I'll trace that out at some point..............

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 12:26 am

Welcome home, Graymare. We're glad to have you back. Tell us more about what you did while you were in the mountains.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am

HMMM Graymare is home ... must mean summer is gone. Feels like it here for sure. Fall is really great IF it wasn't followed by WINTER!!!! It is so dry here everyone with animals is concerned because they need to start feeding hay earlier ... which means their usual supply needs to be bumped up and hay is scarce. Rained a bit yesterday, but not nearly enough.

Welcome home Graymare. CB .. hope your move is smoooothhhhhh ..
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 12:08 am

me too Carol! It's coming up pretty quick now....it s going to be a long month of traveling and fence building and dog pen putting up...etc etc...and we have our 41 anniversary right in the middle of it! We have decided to celebrate in September...when we go thru Jackpot NV....have dinner and play some penny slots! This trip will be me going down to NV to bring hubbys' car home, so when he has his last day, he can drive the truck/camper up here and we'll spend a few days loading and then off we go....into the wild blue yonder...

Graymare, I too, am curious as to where you stay in the mountains....cabin, house tent? Talking about draining pipes or such...says it must be a house of some kind...or camper or such....whatever it is you sound like you have a good relaxed time.

Well, we signed a sales agreement on our place yesterday...I wanted to keep it, but hubby wanted to sell it....so if everything goes alright we will sing final papers on Oct. 31. It does need a lot of work to keep this trailer together, as it is old. The folks are older than us and they plan on taking the trailer out and building a small house here. So Keep fingers crossed, as its not a done deal until money at closing.

The kids were here tonight for a roast chicken dinner with stuffing, potatoes, gravy, broccoli/cauliflower and coleslaw with birthday cake and ice cream for hubby...nice evening...and now he is wingin' his way back to NV and I'm doing dishes and to bed....the lab rats took 9 tubes of blood from me today...whew...I feel like I donated! Terrible time getting me even with my best lab guy at the base...but he did get me...thank goodness.

Sweet Dreams Y'all.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 am

CB
Congrats on the sale of your place! What a lot to do before you are settled in Texas.

Graymare
Welcome home! Sounds like you are a little sad to leave the mountains. At least your riding season is coming up!

Carol
Are you going to AZ soon?

Good news for me: Went to the doctor today and ALL my bloodwork is normal!! He says I have no excuses for not doing anything. So I celebrated by buying a nice pair of boots at Belks that were on sale and came home and rode Ivan. Now if I just had my strength back, life would be back to normal....soon! I have recovered from this ailment much faster than they predicted.....:-)
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 am

We all thank God, ARK........glad you're fine.

We have a small travel trailer in the mtns on a private ranch........drained the pipes and filled with antifreeze & came home..............we do have fun..................... ClappingHands When the nights get 35 each night and it takes til 10-11A to warm up, with no horse there, its time to come home.

Home is fine.... bit warm but vey tolerable.......mornings and evenings are pleasant.........afternoon in the sun is still too hot....during the heat of the day I clean.......oh boy, it was dust city on here.

I haven't picked up Faith yet........I'm sure when I go get her and bring her out of the herd, she will look like a street whore and will be happy as a pig in sh it................That won't be before Monday as it will take me that long to get the pasture ready..........

CB, great news on your property..................

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 am

Ark, that is really great news about your bloodwork! With all the barnwork you do, it won't take you very long to get built back up.

My younger cousin and his family will be here for the weekend, for the antique outboard motor show. It'll be a busy weekend.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Ark, we all knew that you would heal fast no matter what they told you at the doctors, you are strong and will gain your strength quickly just don't try to do it to fast. well it feels like fall is trying to set in, the temps are a little cooler and the wind is blowing and the air is dryer, not quite cool enough to open windows yet but soon I hope, well, everyone have a great day and weekend of fun:flower:
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:07 pm

This is funny...............I called to go get Faith next week.............she has moved to finer pastures.....she's not too far from Atticus................about 30 mi is all........ Shocked Shocked

She is fine and happy, just greener grass. They brought the barrel horses home last week end as jr. rodeo
starts tomorrow.........

Ranchers move their horses about to good grass....................anyhow, I laughed. Here I am in the heat and Faith is chowing away at 4800-5000 ft.................

I'm not sure when I'll run up and get her or if she will hitch a ride home with the roping horses..................

As I said to my friend.........this has been the laziest 3 mos for her.................I mentioned they might go tell her to gear up as life isn't welfare, and she is returning to work.............Then I thought better of it as she might hide out there................serve me right wouldn't it?

One thing. Good horse owners are hard to find......................... Very Happy Ask Faith.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Graymare, it's going to take at least a week of grooming to get Faith back to your normal. You'll both love it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 pm

I pray it's only a week....................her feet have been done consistently...............whew. This will be good, for sure. One bath and a strong shop vac will do it................

flower
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 2:45 am

If I bathed my guys, they would be mud balls, it is so dusty here right now...we need rain badly to settle the dust. I wet the feeding areas down with the hose to make it less dusty...but man this moon dust is getting thick! even when I walk I leave a dust trail, am starting to feel a bit like Pigpen...

humidity has been up and its still dusty!

I've been having problems with allergies specially about mid morning...start sneezin my fool head off...and feel ucky! Its' cooler in Texas this week than it is here!

ARK, you remember to take things easy still...we mother hens worry about you ya know. cluck cluck!

Sweet dreams y'all...am going to bed!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 am

Yest was my organizational meeting for the horse program.........many kids with many issues........listen to this one. My question was "why do you like horses??" One little girl, 10, with her glasses on crooked and her bangs in her face, told me "bread is food for life, horses are food for my soul".........I almost cried it was so sweet. These are all kids from seriously dysfunctional backgrounds, no parents or grandparents and are "in the system" Anyhow, all I could tell her was "me, too." I told her I loved that statement. She said she heard it in a movie or a story. Anyhow, my money says that kid will make it somehow.

Kids............they are the answer to life...................

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 am

at 9:30 AM it is 64F heading to 74F with a real nice gentle rain.

This past friday...day before yesterday...I tilled up a section of yard and reseeded it...lime / fertilizer/etc/ You might remember that many years ago I did that sort of work "professionally". That was BEFORE I started trucking...so its been awhile since I did that. I worked "hard" to develop reputation that I did NOT do any "handwork" if there was a machine that could do the task....and I did NOT pick up rock...at all...strictly AGAINST my scruples!! At any rate, this little job on Friday saw me picking up a few rock and I scattered 3 bales of straw 'BY HAND'. This gentle rain should make the grass seed pop right outta the ground. Woe is me...my reputation may be severely damaged.!!

CB...ARK is probably having about the same weather as me...maybe a couple / three degrees cooler due to being at a bit higher elevation and closer proximity to mtns.

Anybody heard from NANCYLEE?? I miss her musical input in the FOOPVILLE community. SVET is much missed also! These two gals need to check in before long!!

Gotta go...SNOOP is on a tear this morning!!

Love to all...RICK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 2012   September 2012 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

September 2012
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next