Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MAY 2022

Go down 
+4
Indyapp
Graymare
Ellen E
Ark
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2022 8:10 pm

Well, I have continued my unbroken streak of losing the KY Derby.... hysterical Did you see Rich Strike biting the heck out of the pony horse? Yikes.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2022 8:21 pm

WOW, 80:1 Rich Strike took it. Yes, ARK, I saw that. Rich Strike needs to learn manners.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2022 8:58 pm

That was probably the most exciting Derby finish ever!  The overhead replay video was very interesting, showing how that jockey worked his way through the whole field and had lots of horse left for the finish.  Wish I'd put a couple bucks on that one.  LOL
Afterwards, I think there were a couple of problems.  The adrenaline was really high, the jockey was excited and yelling, and the lead pony wasn't cooperating either.  When everybody got calmed down, so did the horse. And yes. Some lessons in manners are definitely needed.
He is a grandson of Curlin.
If you get a chance to look closely at the horse's left nostril you will see what remains of a scar.  He got injured somehow and had to be stitched up.  Friend Brandi's farm uses the same vet.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2022 12:10 am

I read somewhere that Rich Strike didn't like the pony guy hanging onto his bit. After they attached a lead rope, he calmed down. Don't know if that is true or not..... I suspect the horse was full of adrenaline. He sure put on quite a show. The pony guy was probably worried he would be bitten next. Lots of the horses ponying the racers to the gate had shields on their necks to keep from being bit. Seems like a good idea.

Rained most of the day here. We needed it. We were under a tornado watch last night, but I never heard anything coming of that. Lots of thunder, though. My horses are covered in mud again.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2022 12:12 am

And, the man on the lead pony was not qualified...............
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2022 8:05 am

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY all!!!!

I am up and drinking my tea, trying to get caught up on all the posts on here. I have been MIA for a few weeks, spent eleven days in Halifax while my Son and GF were in Mexico. I was house, cat, dog, and kid lookerafter, lol.
I was getting over my terrible chest infection, I know I had pneumonia, and still on antibiotics. That made me feel terrible but would not tell them as it would spoil their trip. They went with two other couples from here in Yarmouth, friends of John's. Had an appointment the day I came home for a cystoscope. Everything is fine with my bladder (I know you all wanted to know that) ROFL

Saw my youngest Granddaughter yesterday for a few minutes, she flew in for a fast hug and out the door again. Back to Halifax, she had driven down yesterday for a hair appointment and back to the city right afterwards. She has her graduation ceremony next weekend for her CPA designation. Apparently it is really a big deal, very formal, etc. Allison face timed me yesterday and we had a great visit, love this technology. Ava is so used to looking into the screen of a phone she never takes her eye off the other person on there. Ten months old now and walking behind her push walker. Seven-eight teeth, eats everything you put in front of her. I sure wish I lived closer.

Today is Mothers Day and I will be going to church. I'll talk to the rest sometime today. I already have a beautiful flower arrangement from John and Priscilla.

Housecleaning starts tomorrow, need to get it done before the warm weather arrives and I want to be outside. I have someone doing the scrubbing for me and tomorrow is the day to start, hopefully we will finish is a week or so. I'm oldfashioned and its wall, doors, windows, floors, closets, drawers scrubbed........feels great when its finished.

All of you have a great day. I forgot about the Derby but hear it was great, I'll have to see if I can find it on line.

Donna

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2022 8:41 am

Donna, it's always good to hear from you. Your grands have grown up to be wonderful young women.

Graymare, I completely agree about the outrider.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2022 10:36 pm

Hi DONNA!  So good to see you.  Did you take your dog (and cats?) with you to house sit?  Sorry you were sick during all that.  It was nice of you to house sit and not tell them you were sick so they would enjoy their vacation.   Did they bring you a sombrero?  Very Happy

ELLEN and GRAYMARE:
 I think the pony guy needs to have some understanding from us.  Take a look at the photo of him and Rich Strike from a different angle.  I think I would have hit that horse with a 2x4 if I had had one with me.  The pony guy never let go despite Rich biting him, his horse, and grabbing the pony horse's reins.  What a scene for the whole world to watch...

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Richst10
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2022 8:40 am

That photo does offer a different perspective. I'll bet he has a bite-sized bruise on his leg.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyMon May 09, 2022 12:54 pm

Ouch...............
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2022 3:28 pm

Another day and allis well with Rich Strike.  Is he at Pimlico now?

It's slowly warming up here in AZ.  Grass is green, stable, and yummy to horses.............Nell E has
grown like a weed, is happy, and very smart.  I can't keep up with her antics.........lucky she comes
when I call.

Windy here in AZ which is very dangerous

Tuesday PM. Looked that up too ELLEN............can't wait.

Last edited by Graymare on Tue May 10, 2022 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyTue May 10, 2022 7:16 pm

Bloodhorse just said the horse has been taken to a farm in Kentucky to have a few days off, and will ship to Pimlico on Monday.
He came out of the Derby in really good condition, eating like a horse.

We have gone from late winter to the middle of summer in one day. It was 86 today and will be like this the rest of the week.

Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2022 7:02 am

Good Morning,

It is an overcast, smoke filled sky out there this mornig. HUGE forest fire outside of Yarmouth, going for a couple of days now and recruits brought in from as far as Newfoundland.

Getting the cleaning done, just have a bedroom and kitchen to do and then I can relax. Son and GF coming on Friday for the weekend so looking forward to that. Next weekend is a long weekend, Victoria Day, and there is a benefit for my friend Helen's daughter and her husband. She had a double mastectomy a couple of months ago and he has liver cancer. Carmen is the same age as Tracey, will be 52 in Oct. They have a ten year old daughter! Tough times for this family.

Went to the movies last night with five of my friends. We saw Peace by Chocolate, a true story about a family from Lebanon, out of a camp in Syria that landed in Antigonish a few years back and started making chocolates. That was they business in Lebanon and of course the plant was bombed and they fled. Such a great story, and worth while going to see if you get the chance.

Heading to the gym this a.m., haven't been since last week and I miss seeing all my friends. Nothing else new here, just the same old same old.

All have a good day and Ill check back later.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 11, 2022 12:16 pm

Oh DONNA. Good grief, prayers from here for your friends...........what awful news.

I sincerely hope they get your fires under control...........wild fires scare me to death. I was in one
that had to be evacuated and they are dangerous as he ll. At that time AZ & NM lost 450,000
acres.

The movie sounds great..........I'll have to wait until it's televised, but I will then watch it.

Everyone have a good day.............
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 7:34 am

Greymare, I had it ass backwards, the Hadad family were from Syria and in a camp in Lebanon.
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 7:34 am

Greymare, I had it ass backwards, the Hadad family were from Syria and in a camp in Lebanon.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 3:03 pm

Well, darn. Rich Strike will not run in the Preakness. His connections have always given him 5 or 6 weeks between races and want to continue with that program. The plan is to run him in the Belmont.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 3:39 pm

At least they love their horse..............

DONNA, that's very good......Syria hurt my heart..........Hope they get the care they need.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 11:06 pm

It's interesting. Nobody seems to post on Fridays..........

Today I visited with neighbors and caught up on the hood............all is well here. Irrigation tomorrow.
My friend's grandson had a birthday and stated "This is the best birthday I've ever had". He's 3.
I thought that was hysterical.

No other news here.

wavy wavy wavy
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2022 12:49 am

DONNA:
Don't you live near Yarmouth? Is the fire near you? I sincerely hope not. Scary stuff...

GRAYMARE:
That little kid is funny! Best birthday ever, LOL.. He can say that every year!

ELLEN:
Skipping rope yet? Very Happy I hope your hip is doing well.

We got our Covid boosters yesterday. Other than a sore arm and a desire to sit and read all day, I am fine. Donnie has been somewhat sick all day with a little fever and lots of joint aches. I hope he feels better tomorrow. He slept off and on all day. So other than taking care of the barn and house animals, nothing much got done today. Luckily, I made a double dinner of stroganoff yesterday, so didn't have to cook. It was rainy off and on all day, a good day to be slugs.

I rode Ivan a couple of days ago at Pandapas Pond. I now have 35 miles towards my virtual Tevis ride (started on April 16) and am on my 23rd ride of the year. Inching ever closer to my riding goals for the year....like a snail.
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2022 8:17 am

Good Morning All,

ARK, I do live in Yarmouth County, Hebron to be exact. The fire is in the outskirts of Tusket, behind Quinan which is a long way from me. The smoke was bad for the week but they have it contained now so will be better. Another fire broke out yesterday in Haifax county and the water bomber and other planes left for that area. There is a fire ban on for the whole province as it has been very dry for weeks now. After ALL the ran we had this spring you would think nothing would burn.

John and his GF are here till tomorrow, nice to have a visit with them without an agenda. There are FOUR dogs here so you can imagine the chaos. Priscillas has a small dog and is into everything. She has chewed every ball that she could find on previous trips but makes a bee line for the basket where I keep all the dog toys that Fergie never looks at. Fergie turned five last Sat and has never chewed a thing in her life, she carries things around but does not chew. Lasting night she (Sadie) chewed the ass out of Fergies favourite squeaky that she carries around, I didn't know it was out here. I have tired for a long time to find another unicorn but with no success. Mad

Must get my rear in gear and get my day going, Priscilla is up and John has been up and taken the dogs out for a pee and back to bed. I have chores for him to do for me so it will be a productive day. We are going out for Mothers Day supper but the Boston/Carolina game is at 4:30 so might be a late lunch early supper. Also Toronto/Fla game is tonight so it will be a hockey filled evening.

Later Guys. Have a great day.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2022 9:47 am

We went straight to mid-summer heat for the last three days. I did get the mowing done last evening. That lawn tractor I got about 6 years ago makes that an easy job.

My hip is doing very well. Now, the issue is going to be building some stamina. 9 weeks of doing little has not helped that at all. The only thing I've done well is eat.

Cousins are coming tomorrow to put in my pier and jet ski lift. Then, Travis can "summerize" the jet ski and we'll get it launched for the summer. Sadly, with gas prices being so high, it may not get as much exercise this summer. Last year I took it out 3 or 4 times every week, sometimes just cruising and other times for a fast ride. The fast rides burn a LOT of gas. Jet skis are not light eaters at high speed. But, boy are they FUN!

Donna likes this post

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2022 9:27 pm

ELLEN, don't miss out on your jet ski.............skimp on money during the winter.............

That would make me sad................
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 12:16 am

Oh, I'm not going to give up the jet ski. I will just be a bit more judicious about how long I go fast. I do love to go fast. It will go about 60 mph and that is FUN.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 7:20 am

Hello everyone.  Still busy packing my friend Dee's place up.  That girl has too much stuff and wants to keep most of it...Makes me think about doing a purge at my house once this nightmare is over.  The difference is we have kids that will get to experience this fun fun fun game of sorting stuff once we are gone.  Not leaving this farm until they carry us away.

I found a jar of jelly from 2017 that she insisted she wanted to keep.  Heck it hasn't been opened.  WHAT???  If you haven't eaten it since 2017 what makes you think you are going to eat it now????  Plus she is having a yard sale this week.

Today is the first day of actually moving stuff to her new apartment.  Gonna be a fun day NOT...Dee & George act like brother and sister and are always fighting with each other, they had  a fight at church yesterday, about the moving time line, I had to rescue George.  HAHAHA

Say a prayer for me today so I don't have to haul one of them away to a time out.

Love & prayers...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 9:25 am

Trudy, I do not envy you the job of clearing out "stuff" for Dee.
When I moved here almost 16 years ago, I got rid of a LOT of stuff. It was at that point that I decided we spend the first 50 years of our lives acquiring stuff and the next 50 getting rid of it. I do have a few extra things around here, but not too much. Most of what I have left has a purpose.
Like you, I don't intend to leave here until they carry me out.

Yesterday, Angie and Matt and the boys came up to put in the dock and jet ski lift. They got that done and then started cleaning up some of the mess left from Saturday's storm. We had half-inch hail for nearly 20 minutes. That left leaves and crud all over the place. It's all clean now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAY 2022   MAY  2022 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

MAY 2022
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next