Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

May of 2014

Go down 
+7
Indyapp
sunny 57
cb
Ellen E
Graymare
Rick Angell
Ark
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

May  of  2014 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 4:30 pm

SUNNY:
I was just wondering what you were up to. Sounds nice to have the pool all to yourself in the heat of the year! Happy birthday to your granddaughter! cheers 

ELLEN:
So how was the pizza? Today is diet day, so pizza sounds especially good... Drool 

RICK:
I enjoyed the doggy video with the cat who stole the show! Did you watch the one where he rides on a skateboard? Really a good one!

Nice day here, 77 degrees and sunny.  sunny 
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Hotel pizza is ALWAYS good. They use good quality ingredients. It's the only place I've ever gone where I don't order extra cheese, because they are very generous with the regular order.
Two of the guys had birthdays within the past couple of days, so we started singing to them. It was more fun when several other tables joined in, people we didn't know. The restaurant gives free desserts to those with birthdays.

It's been sooo nice to have the doors wide open today. 81 degrees, the first of the year.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 6:04 pm

I have a question to ask of all horse friends out there, I am desperate to find another state to move to, I would like to know what your state is like as cost of living, ease of getting around, things to do, weather, anything else you can think of what you like about your state and what you do not like about your state, I know it might sound weird, but I am not good with the computer and don't totally believe what they say, they tend to make it sound great, but it turns out differently when you actually live there, I just want to get opinions from people that live there, I thank you in advance and hope you can help
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Trust me. You would not like Indiana winters.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 11:06 pm

SUNNY
That's an interesting topic!  I hope everyone tells us why they like or dislike their state.  

I like Virginia quite a lot!  About the only time I don't is during a very cold or snowy time in the middle of winter.  Then I fantasize about being a snowbird in Florida for a couple of months.  Usually, not counting this past miserable winter, we will have a cold snap for a few days, then it warms up enough to forgive the weatherman for awhile.  We have four distinct seasons.

Virginia is a state of contrasts, so while I like it here in southwestern VA in  the New River Valley,  I don't think I would like it in the lower elevations of eastern VA where it is hotter in the summer and where the larger cities are. I live in the sticks, which I like.  The eastern side of the state has more money than the rural western side.  We have the highest mountains, but they have the ocean.

We have several small towns in our area, and most of them have buses to get around on.  We have a couple of universities and community colleges, so there is a lot going on, including traffic from 50,000 students during the school year.  But most are gone from mid-May until late August, so the summer traffic around town isn't bad.  I can only speak about this side of the state's people, but having lived here since 1978, I find the country folks to be generally friendly.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 11:17 pm

SUNNY, choose a town to investigate and go to the Chamber of Commerce site.  That will be truthful info regarding cost of living, census, housing, taxes, hospitals, schools etc……there is gen a yearly climate chart also stating temps/mo etc……..the data listed is valid as it is used for state & fed info.
Your public library would be a place to start your search if you don't want to use your computer.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 11:33 pm

SUNNY AZ is HOT HOT HOT, we have been here since 77 and it works for us……….we have high taxes, high license plate taxes, huge population and growing which is a bad factor……….it's growing and growing.   I don't know exactly costs around the state which is why I suggested checking with Chamber of Commerce sites for the locations you might be interested in.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 10:18 am

E HAD. A SSTORM HERE LAST NIGHT. AT 6 weather guy said t hundestorm but no severe then he breaks into idol and sayssevere storms with baseballsize hail over ssan anggg now take shelter. we ran out got 4 horrses. into the trailerr and could see a black wall of storm bearing down on us and we had to run for camper the dust and grit were horrrrrible we had to both pull door open. and I was just going up steps when we both got hit with patio tableeee andit knocked us over and the hubbbby is shoving me into camper and. heis climbing over me he got door shut and we lost power his tinnn sheet pile is gone. my patio chairs r gone my yard flower pots all broken my rakes shovel. gone. but animals r fine and we r too have grit in eyes. and ears and hai. but we have power now so shower here I com.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 10:27 am

I second what ELLEN said about Indiana or at least Northern Indiana. While it has all four seasons which I love, my favorite season, Spring, usually lasts about a week. We usually go from Perma Cloud Winter & snow, to dreary damp rainy season to that one really nice week of Spring where the birds are singing and trees budding etc, to HOT and Humid. Then on to maybe two weeks of pretty fall then cold wet fall then back to Perma Cloud Winter. (Perma Cloud winter = Permanently Cloudy) This year we traded dreary damp rainy season in March for cool / cold and no rain which was unusual.

It's official. I'm getting my garage cheers  I met with the contractor yesterday and signed the papers and now he is going to get the permits and order the materials. Hopefully the county won't require a variance for where I want to put it. They normally don't like out buildings in front of the house and my garage is going to be in front of but to the side of the house. If a variance is required it will be delayed by at least a month as those are only decided on once a month. I should know by the end of next week if he was able to get the permit.

ARK beautiful pics. I wish we had someplace like that to ride around here. Loved the pic of the Killer Waves.

Well phooey, phones are starting to ring so better get to work.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 10:44 am

Oh Lord CB.  Thank God you are alright.  I saw those storm warnings on the TV weather channel last night and wondered about your part of TX.  Hope you can find your windblown things close by.
Good Harry got you two inside…..WOW!!!  Scary.

In our state we have big storms which are described as "cells"…they're fast and strong and do a lot of damage.  In the mountains we get hail with them, in the valley heavy bucket rain.  Water flows heavy in the deserts and a lot of damage can occur.  At our house area we have heavy heavy winds with cells.  Big trees fall etc, roofs are blown off etc.  We have had damage but not to roof…we have had huge branches fall off our trees a few times.  My friend had her horse trailer blown right over and about 40 feet.  I think I wrote about that one a few years ago.  In our state SUNNY our electricity is high, water is costing more.  Our irrigation water even costs more now, even tho is is recycled "grey" water.

SUNNY, as I hear the different difficulties in each state, I have no idea where I would move.
Each has it's great points, each some some real bad.  AZ is very beautiful, it's big draw.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 10:47 am

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 11:32 am

CB, I'm sure glad that you managed to get critters and people protected in time.

To add a little to my earlier comments... Indiana has a lot of nice attributes including friendly, polite people, and the cost of living is a little below some other states. Weather is not one of the better features.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 4:48 pm

Love the pony pictures. It would be a neat place to go sometime.

What an unexpectedly nice afternoon!  Neighbors called and wanted to know if I wanted to go with them to take their boat to another lake to ride around.  (Indy, it's Wawasee.)  Of course, I wanted to go!  It is the biggest natural lake in Indiana.  Absolutely gorgeous afternoon, sunny with a nice breeze, and lots of WOW houses to look at.  A super way to spend an afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 11:55 pm

CB
I am really glad you are okay!!!! You wanted new armchairs anyway, right!  Rolling Eyes 

GRAYMARE
I enjoyed the pony pix! There is a herd of "wild" ponies in our former county that is lives on Mount Rogers. The ponies keep the open land on the mountain open, sheep didn't work out years ago. (They lost about 600 sheep in one year. Ponies are tougher.) $ The excess ponies are auctioned off every year.
I met the granddaughter of Misty of Chincoteague back in the '90s. She looked like her granddam.

ELLEN
We had pizza for dinner this evening. I kept thinking about yours Mad .
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri May 09, 2014 5:55 pm

We're having pizza tonight with friends…………LOL
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySat May 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, and extra cheese, please.  Laughing 

At the moment, I have some chicken in brine in my refrigerator that will be deep fried tomorrow. Might add some onion strings to that.

It's a simply gorgeous day. Mid 70s, sunny with a few puffy clouds, a light breeze, and a nice deck from which to enjoy the whole thing after getting the yard mowed.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySat May 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Sounds like a very nice day up in Indiana today. I loved INDYAPP's description of the seasons there Laughing . One of my not so fond memories of going to junior high school in Indiana, was walking to school with snow on the ground while wearing a dress. This was before we could wear pants to school like the ever so much warmer boys. Slipping and falling in the snow was not something you wanted to do twice. No 

It is cloudy, cool, and rainy here today. We've been dodging raindrops all day. Barn got cleaned anyway. We just dodged horses while we did it.

I rode Areion a little while on Thursday after we had a ride-in-the-pastures lesson with both Ivan and Areion. Areion was wonderful, but being a bit tired from being ridden by Lori for 1 1/2 hours probably helped. Areion is so different from riding Ivan. When he is 'on', I have to mind every step. The boy is intense and never tired. Areion just gets more mellow as she gets worked and actually has to be urged to move out faster. With Ivan, I have to constantly urge him to relax a little and let me catch my breath. I may have to get them both to agree on a middle ground...

Areion loved getting in the creek, Ivan got in , but says he doesn't have to love it. She had a great time. She is going to be a fun ride, but maybe not an endurance horse.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySat May 10, 2014 8:15 pm

It sorta sounds like Areion has Kazi's genes but inherited Daisy's attitude. You'll have horses that can do whatever you want. Ivan for faster endurance rides, and Areion for a casual stroll through the woods.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySat May 10, 2014 9:55 pm

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!!!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2014 2:27 am

I hope that all mothers are going to have a great day, either going out to dinner or B B Q at home with friends, not sure what I am doing, my room mate Kent is very sick and won't let me take him to the hospital he is very dehydrated and refuses to eat, I can't call the paramedics as they can't do anything without his permission, and he flat refuses, he knows how bad he is but won't cooperate so my hands are tied, I am not his wife or even his girlfriend, although we have lived together for 13 years as long as his mind is clear nothing I can do, frustrating,
Our weather is now hot and sticky, so I don't go out till the sun goes down
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2014 7:23 am

Happy Mother's Day everyone. Hope ya'll have a good day.

It is FINALLY spring here in PA. The furnace has been shut OFF, the windows are open, I'm wearing shorts, my toenails are a cute shade of bright pink and I'm wearing sandals. All sure signs of spring.

The purple tulips we planted in the shape of a purple heart are all up and blooming. They look so nice. Still too chilly to get the tomatoes and peppers in the garden but the rest of the veggies are planted and growing nicely.

SUNNY: The weather in PA is kinda like Ellen's. All 4 seasons (which we love at times), winter can drag on, but the other 3 are worth dragging thru winter. We have lived in Maine, & Ohio but moved back to PA as soon as we had a chance. Can't beat the fall and the beautiful colors of the trees.
Sorry to hear about Kent. Not much we can do with men once they dig in their heels about anything. I'll be praying for you guys.

ARK: Ride on girlfriend ride on. Love reading about your rides & seeing the photos.

CB: Gosh girl, what a storm that was. Glad you guys are OK.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2014 10:20 am

Happy mothers day of all 2 and 4 legged kids. we r busy getting things ready for us to go visit brother in mo. weatherrr has been unseasonly hottttttttttttttttttttttt

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2014 11:22 am

Happy Mothers Day!!!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Happy Mother's Day!!

Beautiful day here today. Grass mowing, barn cleaning, window washing, ceiling fan dusting, stink bug vacuuming, getting ready for Annie's arrival next weekend kind of day. That's just my list, Donnie has an equally long one. Rolling Eyes 

SUNNY
I hope Kent at least starts drinking liquids. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

TRUDY
Welcome to spring! Took long enough to arrive, didn't it?

CB
Safe trip! How long will you be gone?

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2014 3:04 pm

2 more signs of spring here in PA. I picked a tick off of me and one off of Ace. AUUGGHHH I saw the first snake of spring, thought it was a twig, just as I stepped over it, it moved. EEEEKKKKKK I ran one way and the snake slithered the other way. Not sure who was more surprised. LOL

WELCOME SPRING...

Have a safe trip CB & family.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2014 5:19 pm

TRUDY……………NOOOOOOO, not snakes & ticks.  Get some tick powder and a big hatchet.

ARK, gads, busy busy spring cleaning.  Glad you are riding Aerion, too……..sounds good, for sure.

SUNNY,   I hope Kent will start helping himself get well.  You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink.  Add some salt to his oats…….. Rolling Eyes 

CB, have a great trip, stay safe, and check in when you can.  Are you taking the horses?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May of 2014   May  of  2014 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

May of 2014
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next