Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

May 2015 !!

Go down 
+7
cb
NancyLee
Indyapp
sunny 57
Ol'Man
Rick Angell
Ellen E
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
NancyLee

May  2015  !! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyTue May 26, 2015 10:02 pm

So very sorry to hear about Pam's Rich. How awful for her.

Ark, hope Ivan will be back to normal tomorrow. I bet he did turn something running around being goofy.

Yes, nobody wants my blood either, due to autoimmune things and meds I take. I always wish I could still give blood whenever they have clinics.

Kingston was great. We drove around here and there, doing Memory Lane for my mom. Went to a restaurant in the village my dad and grandmother grew up in. The restaurant is nicely done, and in a building which used to be my grandfather's gas station/auto repair garage. Very neat. And there was an old man at the next table from a neighbouring village who remembered my grandfather. Used to come get gas there. Sheez! That is a coincidence.

Beautiful weather for driving around the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. Gorgeous views.

Ellen so glad that another party went so well .

And also Trudy, that sounds like a great service you and George planned and carried out. Very nice.

Must go. The iPad is telling me I have a low battery. Time to recharge.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Just checking internet. Back later.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Warm pretty day here. I am still basking in relief that we have our first cutting of hay done. Donnie is hatching plans for a hay building so we can stop using the garage' s attached shed to store hay in.

Got my lack-of-tooth space checked today at the dental surgeon's office. That took longer to type than it did to have it checked. Rolling Eyes It is fine. I dashed around all morning so I would be on time, then wasn't in the building for more than 5 minutes.

Ivan is running around a bit today, he isn't favoring that leg much now. I hope that means he just had a little strain and is on track to being his energetic self again. He was a sad sight when he was limping.

The horses have been better about me putting on their grazing muzzles the past few days. Slipping a mint thru the muzzle' s opening when I put it on them has changed their minds about resisting the inevitable. I had a hard time reaching Areion and Daisy's ears when they would stretch their necks as far as they could. Now they lower their heads to get the mints. Greed works! Smile

ThunderPuff got his first kitten shots yesterday. Time flies when you are a kitten. He is growing up so fast.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Smart Ark! A mint for the muzzles. Good exchange
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Ark, where did u get your muzzles from? chris may need to get some for her minis.

Took cinny and rocky in for coggins test today. there is a children's miracle hospital fundraiser trail ride on the 6th we would like to try.

Hubby saw orthopedic surgeon today and he is going to have a knee replacement on left knee. trying to hold off until august, since we have a few trips in near future. 6 weeks of therapy....oolala....

Nice weather today....spose to get more rain tho....gettin a lil soggy.....

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 11:47 pm

CB
I got most of the grazing muzzles at Tractor Supply. The first one I got when they first went on the market from Best Friends, but I think they were bought out by Weavers Leather.

I have not figured out how to keep the muzzles on Zippy and Trinket. They rub them off. Those tiny mini-ears just don't keep the muzzles on. Kazi is clever about rolling and rubbing her head on the ground and getting hers off. So I put flymasks over the grazing muzzles, which helps keep them on the big horses, but not the minis. I always watch the horses for a half hour or so after putting on the muzzles and put them back on immediately if they manage to get them off. They are slowly giving up struggling to get them off. I just keep the ponies on dry lot or in the barn. And I thought having pastures would reduce my horsey workload.... Rolling Eyes

NANCY LEE
Your recent trip sounded really fun. Did Bardi go with you?

ELLEN
Was the California cousin visiting Indiana on her birthday?

TRUDY
Got your garden all planted? Yesterday I weed eated around my newly emerging dahlias. I saved two big weeds and whacked down one of the dahlias by mistake. Plants fear me. affraid
Our apple tree is showing great promise this year. What was the name of the apple processor you mentioned awhile back?

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 12:19 am

Ark, sounds like we may have to dry lot those minis of chriss. the grass does great at growing here also.

We have tomato plants in, but he hasn't gotten my tubs for squash and cucumbers yet....our salad will be skimpy ones.

I have a friend who peels her apples and chunks them and freezes them. they make the best snacks to eat them out of the freezer....yum.

Donna, good to see u back.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 12:19 am

Ark, my cousin and her daughter and son-in-law were in Indiana to come see the Indy 500, something they used to do almost every year. Her birthday is actually tomorrow, but she is back in California now and her daughter and SIL are back in Florida. That's why we celebrated a few days early.

The Columbines are almost done going to seed, so I can have the hill gone over with a weed eater. I'm just hoping that he'll miss most of the hostas, and a couple of new little seedlings I planted about a month ago. I have flags with the little trees. Guess I should put some in the middle of the hostas to show him where they are. My hostas fear the weed eater too. Laughing
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyThu May 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Ark, Bardi did go with us. We will not put her in a kennel. She was abandoned, which is how we got her at the pound, and we do not want a neurotic dog because we left her too...for her sake, and ours... Yikes

We usually can find a hotel that will take her, although most have size restrictions. She is not small, about 85 pounds.

I had to stake some small plants that got mown when Jim did the back yard. Now he can't miss them. Sheez...

Just went by a very impressive berm of tall phlox growing at the side of a soccer field. i may have to do a night run to dig a little up, and put in my back yard. Also want to raid some gorgeous purple lilacs, and rugosa roses that I'd like to try rooting. Mwa haha...
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 6:12 am

ARK: It's a Foley Food Mill for the apples. We tried using a blender last year thinking we would modernize our applesauce making procedure but went back to the old Foley. Our apples tress are just full of tiny apples, we will be making a lot of applesauce this summer. That was too funny about you cutting down the flowers instead of the weeds.

NANCYLEE: George mowed down our grand daughters tiny Evergreen Tree she brought home from school and planted out here, right before I had the chance to stake it so he wouldn't mow it down. Shocked I was walking toward it with the stake and before I could get there, it was gone. Men and their mowers are dangerous.

GRAYMARE: So Rex has a new name...Ace has many names depending on the situation, he comes to whatever I call him as long as he thinks there might be a tiny biscuit for him. I feed him the smallest biscuits I can find, he is very food motivated, like most Labs are.

CB: Your grandson is just too cool. Graduating and singing too. Way to go Therin. Tell him we thank him for the sacrifice he is making for our country.

Off to Sam's Club early this morning before the crazy shoppers get there, we have a business card so we can go in at 7:30 AM. I HATE shopping. It's worth the extra money so we aren't surrounded by crazy shoppers, not good for George and his PTSD.

Have a great Friday everone.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 7:19 am

Ttrudy, did george have to get and plant another evergreen tree so granddaughter would never know! lol
Therin is my youngest grandson who just graduated high school who is the singer and Kyle is in the ARMY. he is in tech school now in. ft. sill, ok.

We r getting just a tad soggy around here!,

Going to commissary this morning so guess I'd better roll out of bed and get with it.

Hope we hear from rick and snoop soon......

later taters.....

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Got "in the house" last night around 1015pm. Have a raging head cold / sore throat. Hopefully I'll be better Sunday evening / night when I go out again.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Well rats, Rick. Sorry to hear about your cold. Hope you feel better fast.
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Bummer Rick! I find ginger tea can sometimes help with colds. Use the ginger root and grate a bunch of it into a pot, brew with boiling water. Good luck with getting rid of it. Rest! Summer colds are such a nasty thing

Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Rick,

Summer colds are the worst.Hope that you can get rid of it fast.

The first warm day here today with no wind. Of course black flies are in full force.

Lunged Tommy tonight and she is a bit off. walk horse Last night she was fine, who knows what happened today. It could be that the paddock needs to be groomed, huge holes and very uneven footing. I didn't keep her at it, just a couple of turns each way at a trot and both ways she was off which is very unusual so makes me think it is the footing. Very heavy and deep.

Time to get supper on the go.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptySat May 30, 2015 12:19 am

Oh no DONNA. Sure hope it's the footing. Let us know.

RICK, hope you feel better fast..........brother, that head cold stuff
really flattens you. Tell Snoop to kill germs while you're driving.....give him a job for heavens sake. Rolling Eyes Get better soon. How is Phony Pony?

CB, hope your rain slows down.......

TRUDY, the fun thing is once Rex figured out he is our dog he
answers to any name we call him. He just loves us and vice versa.
He is coming along well on all his basic commands and seems a really happy soul.

We had Thanksgiving In May last night and a feast to fill us until
real Thanksgiving. I made noodles alfredo w broccoli and that went over well. We had everything.......I had 3 pieces of pumpkin pie. Rex got his first bites of turkey and then a bit of pie. All the dogs had fun. We have Rex, 2 queenslands, 2 catahoulas, a chow mix, & 2 doxies in our camp.
They all run and play like crazy.....it's like comedy cops. I bought Rex a special shedding comb/rake/whatever and boy does it work well. I don't remember the brand name but he's learning to be groomed and loves the attention. TRUDY, I give small bite treats, too, so I can give them for all tests he gets right.

NANCY LEE, your week end trip sounded great. Canada really is
beautiful. ELLEN, glad you had fun, too.

I forgot. Once cute thing yesterday. One of the little grands came for our feast and she kept calling Rex "Puff". They asked her why and she said he looked like Puff The Magic Dragon..............kids. They really are funny.

ARK, how is Puff? And is Ivan trotting just fine now?

Later gators. Prayers for ALL.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptySat May 30, 2015 10:23 am

RICK
 Welcome back.  I hope you get over your cold fast.  Other than feeling miserable, how was your first week back on the job?  Where did you go?  And you are going to be gone on Monday????  Your 70th BIRTHDAY??  I guess we will just have to eat your Foop cake without you...... No

TRUDY
 Thanks for the Foley tip!  I looked them up and there seem to be more than one kind.  Which company made yours and do you like it?  Our apple tree is covered in little apples, too.

GRAYMARE
 Puff the Magic Kitten is doing great, thanks!  He is a riot.  He plays hard, then collapses on my lap into a hard kitten sleep.  He is 9 weeks old now and having to learn not to attack the hand that feeds him, the hand with a lot of new scars....  He is a cheerfully rough guy when he gets wound up.  We tell him NO, then set him on the floor.  He is learning to keep those claws and teeth sheathed, but still occasionally forgets himself.  Kumquat is starting to play more with him without knocking him across the room quite as much.  She was quite put out about the little intruder for some time.

Ivan is definitely on the mend!  He isn't limping at all now.  I may try getting on him today and see how we both feel.  I think he strained something in his shoulder that day.

RexDex has landed in a nice place.  How old is he?

DONNA
 I hope Tommy Girl is okay!!  Nothing like a horse problem to worry you and drive you nuts.  If you can't get your photo posted, send it to me and I will post it for you.  I use ImageShack,  but they don't seem as nice as they used to be.

NANCY LEE
 It is so great to see you and DONNA back here!  I missed our Canadian friends!  I would love to take a train ride across Canada some day.  I had a friend years ago that did that and really loved it.  

SUNNY
When do you plan to visit your daughter?  

We had 2 1/2 inches of rain yesterday.  A storm sat on top of us for a couple of hours and just poured.  Poor Cactus Jack was banned from the barn by the big horses and ended up looking like a donkey shaped wet sponge.  We needed the rain, we were getting a little dry, and Cactus needed a bath. He doesn't believe donkeys should ever get wet.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptySat May 30, 2015 7:24 pm

ARK, Rex is 17 mos now...........way behind socially as he lived in a crate
for his previous life...........big calluses on "elbows" and "hocks". Sad, really, but he is learning FAST. His neutering healing has gone well and he didn't seem to notice much happened. Oh boy, he loves the truck and going everywhere. We went to a lecture today by Fish & Game on
Eagles, Hawks, Owls, & Ospreys. Really interesting. I took Rex into Any the lecture and he was a champ. There was one other dog there and it was an Aussie, too, but about 12 yrs. They laid right close to one another and listened well. LOL Many people came over to pet him and that was good. He is learning.

Raining here.....looks like it will stop soon tho as the clouds are rolling by and it's pretty windy right now.

Everyone have a good evening.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptySat May 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Dex/Rex/TBone must be one really happy dog now. Such a nice change in his life.

We've been getting rain on and off for the last several hours, with more to come - at least until tomorrow afternoon. I got my upper yard mowed about 5 minutes before the rain started.

Donna, how is Tommy Girl?

Rick, how are you and Miranda?

Ark, does Puff the Magic Kitten want to claw drapes or furniture? Get a water bottle and put a couple of quarters in it. When he does something you don't like shake it at him and tell him "NO". We did that with the kittens we raised and it worked. Scooter never did claw furniture. When he would stretch up like he was going to, I just made sure he heard 'NO' and he'd stop pretending.
The funny part is watching them leave town when the bottle is shaken at them. Sometimes the departure is a vertical leap about 3 feet high. Those are the ones that strike me funny.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptySun May 31, 2015 12:38 am

Actually, this is the end of 2nd week. I made a total of 4 round trips to central Ohio ... using Sidney as the turning point. ... that's 2 trips per week!

WV Turnpike is still a "chug" even with a "big motor" under the hood ... 600hp vs. 470 on my old truck.

MORE and MORE I see people texting while driving ... it SCARES the bee-jeebers outta me .... and I hate to say it, but is more women than men I see doing it.

Yes, ARK ... I'll be working on Monday!! You all can enjoy my cake without me. Somebody please get a fire permit for all the candles affraid

I have to leave out on Sunday evening to get to Darlington, SC for loading for a trip to Pennsylvania first part of week and then I "think" I'm scheduled for another Ohio deal.

Miranda seems to be OK ... a neighbor is "spoiling" her while Carol / Charlotte are gone to Vancouver BC.

My head cold is much better ... maybe because I've done NOTHING this weekend except chew Vit. C and swill down DayQuil.

Love to all,
Rick
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 10:47 am

affraid Today is the day to change over a month..........see you guys soon. Really nice cool morning here.

Safe travels RICK.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Happy birthday RICK! hope your cold 8s all better. to. today is bath day for all dogs, clip toenails, clean ears, worm all 10 of the lil wet darlins! we spray the yards once a week, but fleas r bad this year as we r so wet....ugh....they r use to this ritual tho, so not toooooo bad. doxies love water/baths. the bulldog, not so much, all 95 lbs of him!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Yep, GRAYMARE is correct, it is time to change the monthly thread. Go to:

https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t45-june-2015#6008

or click on BASKET and then June 2015.

See you there! May is closed for business...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May 2015 !!   May  2015  !! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

May 2015 !!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5