Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2016

Go down 
+4
Beech
Rick Angell
Manygatess
Rose
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Manygatess

January 2016 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Our forecast has been changed to 1 to 4, but we shall see what mother nature gives us tonight and tomorrow. We have supplies and are ready to hunker down if need be. I'm making a blackberry pie this afternoon for comfort food during the storm.

RICK: Probably a good idea to postpone due to the weather. It's a hard enough experience without factoring in the bad weather too. Prayers for you Carol and Miranda.

CB: Prayers for your brother. Gosh our family members sure can make us want to choke the poop outta them at times.

ARK: Hang in there and enjoy that soup..

Stay safe and check in if you get a chance. Prayers for everyone...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 3:00 pm

I've found when a storm is coming, we try to prepare, and then we can just get thru it without much stress,,, course I will still bitch about the weather. we have snow and wind chill saying it was 11 this morning.....then bro called and wants us to take him to his pcm today. he probably shouldn't drive so its a good thing. he only used his nebulizer once since he came home. I've done everything I can do, he has to want to do it. harry says I can't blame myself if something happens, but I will think I can. trying to keep him around for his 5 kids and 9 grands. their Mom passed few years ago, o9.

So we r off to the docs over an hour away.....

Tomorrow fat boy the pup who was stuck gets neutered, so we will stay up there all day and shop and look til we can pick him up. he is 5 months and is a throwback to standard doxie, even tho both parents r miniatures. he is a big cuddle bear.

Ya know I don't mind when words on spellcheck get spelled right, but when it corrects me and its wrong I wonder where they got the illiterate person to program it. has anyone else noticed this. like which there, their they correct it to? geesh....or the to too two....it doesn't do it write, right. grrrr another small invasion on our minds.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 4:31 pm

I think we are in a lull in the storm right now, no snowing. We have about 8 inches or so, so far. It's already all kinds of fun to deal with. Donnie is trying to get his snowblower running, he ran out of daylight yesterday. I am not sure it is worthwhile, the wind is starting to pick up and the snow is blowing around. It is supposed to snow until tomorrow sometime.

Well, Donnie just got the snowblower going. I thought we were having an avalanche. He just went by throwing snow straight out towards the road. Rolling Eyes I just about jumped out of my socks.... The snow he is throwing doesn't make it to the road, but just the edge of our yard. I think he likes running that thing.

The horses are doing okay. Until we get a path cleared, I can only pile the manure up in corners, but they don't seem to mind too much. My oldest peahen will probably not make it thru this. She is either 20 or 21 and was frail last winter. She is very frail now. The birds are locked into their house since they don't walk well in snow over their heads.

Soup is cooked, cornbread is baking. House is warm. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 pm

Ill. hum for yas! stay warm. I think everyone needs an alternate lil propane stove or wood stove to heat water and soup. I could live for days on soup! and my tea. do u have extra water? folks will sometimes forget that wells won't work if you lose power. I fill up my bathtubs to flush toilets and if need be bucket some to the horses....we do have a creek if they get really thirsty...but they don't seem to like to dri8nk from it, but they drank from the pond at the other place??? harry just told his sister that if she had a way to heat water she got put a hot water bottle in bed with her for warmth.. they don't have any other cooking source if they lose power....they live in penna. in apartment. she is 81...so I sure hope they keep power.
Trudy you stay safe too.
Ark, stay warm.
And anyone else getting hit? please be safe.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 11:20 am

It's dumping her down here in Danville, but in Williamsport (only 32 miles from here NOT a snowflake). That is so very unfair. Razz

If the Internet goes down and you don't hear from me I'll check in when the storm is over with. They changed our amount from 1 to 4, to 6 to 8 and I'm thinking more like 8 to 12 before it's over with. A couple joggers just went jogging down the road. Crazy young people. I'm sure the snow mobile people will be out having a ball later today.

Ace was a happy doggie this morning. He LOVES the snow to play in, he was running and diving it and turned into a White lab.

We are making beef noodle soup. It sure is a soup day here.

Stay safe everyone. Prayers for everyone....
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 12:28 pm

Ikes, we caught a deer this morning with our new truck! our truck is jacked up with big tires due to the weight we will be hauling and it was a small deer she went under the front and out the back and kept on going, I think she just got knocked down, a lil hair on the truck. neither of us saw her coming until it was toooo late. had to take our doxie pup into be neutered this morning early.

We had beef noodle veggie soup last night for dinner. I love soups when it is cold, and it helps me get some veggies in me that I otherwise wouldn't eat much of.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 2:10 pm

There are a LOT of deer around here too. Just about dusk, one had better be driving slowly with a very sharp eye out for what is beside the road that might wind up in the road suddenly. I was driving to town the other evening and saw two herds. Probably about 25 of them.
I heard some guy on the radio talking about Indiana having about 17,000 car/deer accidents a year.
It would just make you completely sick to have one crash into your brand new truck. Glad there wasn't any damage done.

Today is bright and sunny, with a few clouds, and the ice fishermen are out. The storm that is making a mess of the east went way south of here.

Trudy, glad to hear from you and that so far, everything is okay. I hope Rick and Ark will post something soon.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 4:19 pm

We are doing okay. We have a foot of snow with 3 more inches possible before all is done. The wind is howling, which makes all our hard work of clearing paths pretty useless. The snow is very dry and is blowing back into the paths. Donnie had that snowblower going everywhere.....That made for some freaky horses when the wind would catch the thrown snow and shower them. I just spent 4 hours down at the barn cleaning very dirty stalls. The horses are all happy to be back in the barn munching hay. I carried out 8 wheelbarrow loads of crapola, usually I do 3 in a day. It doesn't pay to let it go a couple of days.

No power loss yet, thankfully. The wind will be gusting 35mph all night, so the windchills won't be comfortable. The horses all have their blankets on.

Donnie made pancakes for breakfast! Drool It made up for not getting our weekly grit fix at Bojangles this morning. Cool
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 4:44 pm

The deer got up and boogied and my ankle started. throbbing, when I got out I fell, dang anklewouldn't hold me up, went to er, not broken, but in an air gel splint for a week....I must have hit it when we tried to stop....dang dan dang.
Where's the bubble wrap when one needs it I ask ya?
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I haven't measured the depth here, but much less than ARK. However, there is a lot of sleet in what is there compared with amount of snow. We are WARM and thankful I'm NOT driving anymore!! Remember ... I used to drive that corridor around DC / Baltimore making 2 round trips per week. YAY for RETIREMENT!!

It looks like I'll be spending more on meds for horse until we can get her final arrangement coordinated. Jillian really wants to be here and her next available day is a couple weeks out. I ran outta sweet feed this morning and had to go buy another 50lb bag. Fortunately we have plenty of hay. Miranda is certainly enjoying larger servings of sweetfeed and hay in this cold weather!

Stay warm & safe!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Glad to read all is well so far............everyone warm, etc.

RICK, wow, being retired a sure a good thing for you..........That had to be AWFUL driving all the time.

CB, heavens, don't get out and slip on ice in your ankle cast. Sure glad the deer didn't damage your brand new truck.also, how is Fat Boy?

TRUDY, I'm sure Ace is really cute in the snow. How is GEORGE doing?

ARK.............keep up the good work.........LOL Spring is coming...........it's all part of your fitness plan for riding. affraid

Everybody stay safe & warm.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 11:32 pm

GM, fatboy is doing fine....he's had some nutrical and water....he got done late today at the clinic, so they asked for him not to eat for another 2 hours from now.....but he enjoyed his nutrical. poor pup.....but its all for the best.

Just cold weather here....blah blah blah same OL STUFF.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 am

Good morning everyone.

Our storm wasn't too bad, not sure how much snow we actually got, the wind blew it all around. There are drifts that are up to my knee. Probably 10 inches.

George's ribs are still sore, so shoveling or using the snow blower is out of the question. God put it here, He can take it away. That was our game plan.

Our wonderful neighbors came down and cleared the snow from our walks and driveway. We are officially OLD farts now, having our snow cleared by the younger neighbors who feel sorry for us old people. LOL LOL Thank God for great neighbors.

Our newspaper guy just brought the Sunday paper to the door. What a sweet guy he is.

Ace loves the snow and was having a great time playing while Brenna & Jim were shoveling, I went out and swept a path to the pee spot for Ace that he won't use. He is doing well on the new dog food, but I'm keeping an eye on him.

There was a 500 vehicle backup on the turnpike in western PA. What a mess..

Staying home from church today, the roads are icy and no sense in getting stressed trying to get there. Just going to do what retired old farts do and stay on the farm and look at the snow. I'll watch the sermon on line, one of the perks of the Internet.

Stay safe everyone. Especially YOU CB...miss accident waiting to happen.

Love & prayers for everyone...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 10:27 am

I'm glad we didn't get all that snow! oh. my.
Watching the weather channel.

Trudy, we r not old, just mellowed and thankful for help that comes along. most of our ice has gone now so I guess hubby can feed the critters for now. I'm glad this didn't happen a month ago. hubby has 1 more pt appt and is done with that, and Ark, tell Donnie if harry has done this well, he should do even better!....but for your sake have him do it when weather is warmer and you still have lots of hay!

Still unseasonably cold, but we r suppose to warm up some now this week, will be nice to have sunshine!

Fat boy enjoyed his small dinner last night....this morning he can have more and back to regular feedings by noon. poor baby thought he was starving to death. his mama was happy to see him!

Stay warm and safe! we will get thru this. I heard this morning a horse friend from happy hoofers is going hospice.....she had such a zest for life.....heaven will be getting an entertaining gal. this has not been a very good year. sigh...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Denver and Charlotte will be celebrating tonight. Beech and Graymare, it's too bad about the Patriots and Cardinals.
I don't have any particular loyalty to any of the last four teams, but I do like Peyton Manning, so I hope the Broncos can outrun the Panthers, or buck them off.

Rose, FOUR weeks until Daytona!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 12:23 am

Gads, we got slaughtered.............

I'm betting on Newton, not Manning............Newton is huge, good, talented and only 26......I don't think it will be a slaughter but I'm betting they take the Super Bowl..........well, we have 2 weeks to wait & see. I loved seeing the little kids
get handed the football after the Panther touchdowns...........They will talk about that when they're 70........and be the big hit at school tomorrow, for sure.

Everyone have a great evening.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 4:01 am

ELLEN / GRAYMARE ... FYI .... Miss Laurie (lives n Calif.) is a HUGE fan of the Carolina Panthers. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 11:03 am

CB
Sorry about your ankle and hitting the deer. I hope the ankle feels better very soon. I told Donnie about how well Harry's knee is doing. I am not sure what time of year is best for Donnie to have a similar surgery. He doesn't want to mess up hay making in the summer, and winter definitely has its issues. Maybe in the fall after the last cutting of hay, but before the weather gets too bad.....He sure has stressed his knee in the past few days. He would snowblow pathways, then the wind would refill them. He said he was happy to back to work today. Less work. Rolling Eyes

Yesterday, Sunday, was quite nice. The sun was shining for the first time in days. The temps got up to 35° and it felt almost balmy with no wind. Blankets came off the horses and even the ponies spent a few hours out of the barn. Donnie cleared the driveway, again, and we were able to get out with the truck. 4 wheel drive is a wonderful thing! cheers

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 11:43 am

Well having a tad warmer weather and by sat. 60 degrees...woohoo.! ClappingHands

I don't watch sports so I'm happy if folks I know are happy that do watch.

We have a bunny rabbit in the barn, he loves the hay..not very scared of us, just sits and watches.

Rose, how ya doing? indy app, where r you? ol man, havnt seen u here in awhile, hope all is well. our canadian ladies r missing in action too!

Beech, how much snow did u get?

I see my pcm tomorrow....I hope he can prescribe bubble wrap for me tongue Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 11:46 am

Not much going on here in AZ............full moon has been beautiful and bright with shiney stars everywhere. Windy this morning, dawn now with sky beginning to be bright in the east............horses still munching. I'm cleaning out getting ready for a small garage sale, not sure what day, just gathering stages right now. I think I have more older good lead ropes and older good halters than a tack store. How much at the garage sale? $2 a piece or $3? Or have lead ropes & halters as a unit for $5 a set? Hey, this is big business...........help. I sold older saddles so am down to 4 which are really good and won't sell until I head to Shady Pines. After all, I might need that matching dressage saddle and cavesson bridle. Can you all spell crazy? Today I'm sorting old bridles.............I can't believe how much "stuff" I've collected in 60 yrs. Of course you save everything in case you need it. The big trunks laugh at me as I open them. I'm rounding the bend headed to reality of age and strength. I'm reaching being happy just being up on a horse & colt, not out riding for hours and hours. I've been incredibly blessed to have had all the experience that I've had. God has sure been good. More to come, just different pace. LOL

Everyone have a great day........lol, I'm busy again today. Smile
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 11:51 am

I forgot. My friends want to come help me.....that's really scary. However, a couple of them are involved with kids activities w their grands..........they have first pick as God has blessed me with the items, they can have first choice and just take it and enjoy it.............the trunks have spoken............
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Graymare, knowing you and your friends, you should probably charge admission for the entertainment.

I thinned out my closet the other day. There is a little more room in there now.

It isn't all that cold today, and all the snow has melted. We still have ice on the lake which is slick and shiny because of the bit of misty rain that came down last evening. Poor Travis. No snow to play on.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Warm weather acomin! yehaw!

I will be so glad......

Going to go to an auction on saturday to shake cabin fever! havnt been doing much except pt and dr. appts and grocery store.....cept getting the truck. it will be nice just to get out and see other people and animals....poultry, pigs, goats, sheep, and others junk gets sold and becomes someone else's treasure! just for the fun of getting out, not planning on buying a thing unless hubby finds a couple of hens. his 4 r laying 2 a day....even in the colder weather.

How's everyone surviving?

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 11:33 pm

I had cataract surgery this morning. I "guess" I'm doing OK, but also acknowledge that maybe my immediate expectations were too high. As far as "blurry" is concerned, I can't really tell an difference and I have a light streak across upper part of my sight field. I will ask questions tomorrow when I go back for 24 hr. check up. Pain / discomfort level is greater than I "expected", but Advil as helped tremendously.

I "think" I posted that Miranda's departure has been rescheduled to Feb. 11.

Love to all,
Rick
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 1:35 pm

LOL!! I'm still blind in one eye and vision slowly improving in the other. cyclops cyclops cyclops

24 hr followup was good ... just gonna take awhile. I'm happy with prognosis.

Since I can't lift anything more than 5 lbs., Carol "did" the stall cleaning this morning cheers cheers cheers

Later ... All Ya'll stay WARM, ya hear? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Rick, I'm glad to hear that your vision is improving. Hope you'll be clear-eyed again very soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2016
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next