Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2016

Go down 
+4
Beech
Rick Angell
Manygatess
Rose
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

January 2016 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2016 - 13:48

Rick, I'm glad to hear that your vision is improving. Hope you'll be clear-eyed again very soon.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2016 - 13:59

Hi RICK..........Glad one eye is done................mine were both easy, just time healing. So, you will ultimately see better and driving at night will be greatly improved. Wishing you the best with Miranda's departure. It's a most difficult day under the best of circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2016 - 18:11

RICK
I hope your eyes feel better quickly! I had mine done a couple of weeks apart. No pain, just a little discomfort in one eye. I did have to use drops for a few months. I have been very happy with the lens implants I got! What a Face

GRAYMARE
That has got to be a lot of tack to get rid of! Each piece probably holds good memories of horses, rides and friends. I still have Arkady' s and Kazimir's halters. I did recently sell Zippy' s little western saddle and am considering selling his cart and harness since he probably will never use them again. The only thing holding me back is the thought that I might train Cactus Jack to use it sometime....but he is really such a scaredy donkey, I probably will never do it.

No lesson for me today. The snow is melting slowly, but turning into sheets of ice. I have to be very careful in some places to not slip. Then there is the mud where those nice pathways are..... affraid
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016 - 0:19

Heal quickly, rick.

Nice weather coming, I'm soooo ready for it.

Not much doin here....harry has 5 more pt sessions, doc wanted him to have. he is at 113 range, needs to be at 120....but he is walking better than before surgery by a lot.

I've just been staying off my ankle....bummer....

Sweet dreams y'all
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyFri 29 Jan 2016 - 20:22

Cold. That pretty well describes our weather.

CB, it's good to hear that your hubby is doing so well after his knee surgery. Now, take care of your ankle so that it will be back to normal soon.

Not too much going on around here right now. It's just winter.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySat 30 Jan 2016 - 1:14

Ellen, he's pretty happy about the way it came out. he walks with a mild limp, but nothing like before, and he says there is a tightness behind the knee, but he was walking sooo bowlegged before and really limping so its great improvement. I'm happy he has done so well.

Everyone must be busy......yoohoo.

Sweet dreams foops and foopettes......
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySat 30 Jan 2016 - 19:23

CB That's great about Harry's knee! And, yes, I'm rooting for your ankle to heal pronto!

ELLEN, Here, it's WARM just now -- 37 degrees last time I checked, and supposed to stay that way, I think, for most of this next week. A museum not far from me had scheduled a demonstration of ice-harvesting on their mill pond for today but had to cancel because, though there's ice, it's not safe. Two days ago I stopped at the lake I pass on my way to my supermarket to count the fishing shacks that were finally appearing on the ice there. There were just four. I hope they've not now sunk into the drink! We still have snow all around, maybe four or five inches, but it's getting slushy. One good side of that: the local snowmobile dealer has so little business that he's fixing my snowblower for me -- which of course I don't need for the moment. But I'm guessing I will again soon enough.

Making my mother's filled cookies today. That special taste takes me back --well, I started to say how exactly many years but thought better of it. Just say A LOT!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySat 30 Jan 2016 - 22:56

Believe it or not, it was over 50 today! Very rare for January around here.

This evening, the neighbors went to another town for a specialty pizza place. It has a true wood burning oven in which they cook the pizza. With it reaching temperatures of almost a thousand degrees, it only take about a minute and a half to cook on. They have a variety of different pizzas. Just a little hole in the wall business in a very old building in a town that was founded in 1836. The stores and businesses along that street all have freshly painted the store fronts and look very inviting.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySun 31 Jan 2016 - 1:13

Lovely day here today................prepped for storm coming in tomorrow afternoon with big winds, not too much rain reportedly, so far. Our half moon
is bright right now with nice stars and clear night........about 45 right now.
Having fun working the colt. TL working in his shop separating things he wants to sell at the garage sale...........

Pizza today................MMMMMM.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySun 31 Jan 2016 - 2:42

It must be pizza day, that's what we had, too, but ours was DiJorno....frozen. pretty good, though!

We were in the 50s Saturday and going to be 60° Sunday and Monday!!! Hopefully our snow will disappear. There is still 4or 5 crunchy inches left and lots of mud in the pathways. tongue We had to put down wooden boards to get the wheelbarrow across the mud. The ground is super saturated. The arena is a disaster area that is going to take hours to clean up. The horses have been spending a lot of time in there after Donnie snowblowered paths for them. The crapola is either frozen to the ground, or surrounded by slush that is too hard to push the wheelbarrow thru. What a mess.....but the barn is clean! We re-bedded all the stalls. Donnie had to use the big tractor to move supplies down to the barn. The truck would have been stuck even with 4 wheel drive. I am so over winter.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySun 31 Jan 2016 - 10:55

Ark, I wish we had more to say about or in our winter, but we just get what is given....pfffft. right now we r above average but more cold coming they warn...annd we may catch some of edge of storm...along with promised or threatened rains.....ill take what nice weather is offered for a couple of days.....

Our mud is drying up at least.....thankful.

We called about getting sandi trained....the guy and his wife....train board and give lessons. we were talking and he had said his wife lost 1 of her lesson horses at 27 and he lost his old lesson roping horse. h teaches kids who can ride and want to learn to rope.....I thought about my older 2 in my pasture who could benefit for having a job and kids to give them attention.....cinnamon is a dollbaby with kids, and tank has been used for roping and branding and trails and parades and playdays....but the kid will have to know some about riding. they are going to come out and meet the horses and ride them and see what they think. I would never take them to any auction, but for a riding p

rogram, I would consider.....so we will see...and sandi will be going for training in a month, she will have to be worked easy, as I am wondering about her being pg. I could ultrasound, but will wait and see, it won't hurt her if he goes easy...and she could be 5-

Hubby took his one doxie, sassy, out for a romp in the woods yesterday....and I decided to take a bath, soak my ankle. she is long haired fat lil doxiegirl....she got hot!. I heard them come in the door and next thing I knew I was joined in the tub! I think she thought it was cold water and she could cool off. lots of splashin and yellin goin on til hubby lifted her out and toweled her off....set her down and she went and jumped in the water pan in the kitchen...ahhhh cool water! its a 3 gallon dishpan.....water everywhere! dachshunds, ya gotta love em, great entertainment and lots more work! duh, I have to be crazy to own 6 of em! dachshunds love to swim and they will swim under water, they are always doing that in the summer time in the big horse tanks. we had to make steps up the outside using blocks and also on inside of the tank, I was afraid they wouldn't be able to get back out when wet. its a dogs life.....we should all have it so good!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySun 31 Jan 2016 - 16:44

CB:

Got a door for that bathroom?  ROFL   That is funny about your water loving doxy!  
 So you are considering selling your two older horses or are you going to lend them to this guy for awhile?  I have lost track of your horses,  the new one is Sandy?  Is there one other one?  I can't see you without a horse or two...

Our weather is gloriously warm and sunny today. sunny   The  snow is working at melting off, but the ground is so saturated, it will be a mess for some time.  We cleaned up the barn while the ground was still frozen this morning, then went off to do groceries and WalMart.   We got an earlier start than usual, trying to avoid the mud.  I hope the arena melts off, at least, so I can start working on getting it back in shape.  It will take a few days to drain properly.    I hope to get a lesson this coming Thursday.

I just ran across a photo of my first time astride Ivan, taken in July 2008.  He was almost 4 years old.  Then I saw the photo taken just after Christmas 2015 of us.  Wow, what a color difference!  That first ride lasted about 30 seconds, then I got off, but he really never offered to toss me.

January 2016 - Page 6 N2Grj3

January 2016 - Page 6 FLaRLy
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySun 31 Jan 2016 - 22:37

Ark, we have had cinnamon, tank, rocky since we were in idaho. we did just get sandi in august. if they want them for their riding program, he will train sandi for the 2 of them, but if they need to find homes for them, I get the first chance back. if sandi works out great for me, if not I will look for something else. time will tell. in the meantime tank and cinnygirl will have attention and exercise, and he iis also a farrier. I think it will be good for them to have a job. harry rides rocky and he is 10. he's a good gelding. when the girls were still home we bought and worked with and resold horses all the time, that's how they made theircar money. the last ten years has been slow compared to back then as far as what and how many have come and gone. we lost nikki at 28, had her a long time.....I guess it depends on the horse if they stay...and finances and health and future plans....seems health is rearing its ugly head more and more and what we r able to do has been slowed down.a bit....so trying to do what is right for us and the horses.

Enjoy each and every ride and time spent with your horse, family, friends, dogs, cats etc....life is just too short.

Sweet dreams y'all.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptySun 31 Jan 2016 - 22:43

Really fun pictures to see ARK......and, yes, what a change. Spring is coming!
Here, our big storm has not arrived yet..........our day was lovely until about 3P when the clouds came rolling in.......so far our rain is sporadic and no real storm yet. Since our temps are going way down tonight (about32-34)I did put the horses join for the night as I didn't want them in big winds and rain at low temps.
They are are happy to eat anywhere.

Anyhow, this goes back to John Denver and this reflection is related to the Challenger disaster that rocked our nation so many years ago, Jan 28, 1986. I was ironing watching the take off. In reading lessons last week the kids wanted to know what happened.............so I brought up to staff that I have the John Denver clip in my computer...........staff wanted to see it so we watched it this clip................a get your kleenex memory but I had a really hard time trying to tell the kids what happened. I reiterated what President Regan said about dying up with God.............anyhow, I showed it to a friend today and thought maybe you all would like to see the tribute:

https://youtu.be/WJBSDQ82qPU
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2016 - 3:20

How come the shows that arnt reruns to me altho old shows, are on so late at night.

Weather person says weather is going to turn to crap again....but it is february so spring can't be too far off, right? tongue Wink

Did anyone watch the new GREASE? what did you think?

I really want to watch this murde she wrote, but eyes r getting heavy....heavier....

Hope the bad weather misses. everyone....sounds like a doozy snowstorm going thru.....

I truly thought my does were bred but nuthin yet....guess they r just fat! I don't mind.

Nite all.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2016 - 13:33

CB, I saw it, recorded it, and liked it. The logistics of making it happen were huge, running the cast around the movie lot, costume changes, and all the rest. Julianne Hough doesn't have the same kind of voice as Olivia Newton John, being more towards a country sound, but I thought she was very good. Admittedly, I like Julianne.
It was nice Sunday evening entertainment.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2016 - 14:20

I liked the older version lots better...they stayed in the age it was filmed, I thought the new one bounced back and forth some, and the voices wernt as good ....guess I'm just an old fogie.....

And ya know you r old when takin a poop tires ya out.....according to my grndson.....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2016 - 17:13

I noticed several discrepancies in the show, but it was just entertainment, so it didn't matter too much to me. The idea of a live performance on TV is interesting. Of course, we grew up with TV being live, which is nearly unheard of now, other than talk or game shows.
At the end, did you see the second of those long golf cars tip a little when the driver curbed it? LOL
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2016 - 17:21

It was entertaining....and yep we saw that cart hitting the curb! my hubby thought that was funny! it wasn't a rerun at least! well, storyline was, but the actual show was new doing it that way. I get tired of old reruns!

Looks like the snow is going north of us...yay....

Hang on to our hats tho, gettin some wind moving in....

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2016 - 21:47

Hope the snow misses us all!! cheers

Last post of the month of January. Time to change the thread. Go to:

https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t53-february-2016#7106

Or go to Basket and click on February 2016

January is now history.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2016   January 2016 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2016