Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2018

Go down 
+5
cb
Rick Angell
Graymare
Ellen E
Ark
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

October 2018 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 11:47 am

Trudy just watçh for the nut case. Be villagent.

gM more rains....ugh....

Our weather is spose to be cooler this week wish it would stay like this all winter...but know it wont....but they say 32 is about the coldest....we will see!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 7:53 pm

I hope everybody had a good Sunday. It's been foggy and gloomy here ALL DAY. Early this morning, the fog was so dense I couldn't see the end of the dock. It let up for a while, but it's getting socked in again now.

Rose, did you see Chase win the Monster Mile? He really earned that one.

Graymare, I bought a small 3 pound turkey breast roast. It came seasoned and ready to go. I put it in the pressure cooker for about 30 minutes and it was perfect. Very tender and moist.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Oh good, Ellen. I'll have to try it. It sounds yummy.

Did you see the races at Keenland?
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi foops! Just dropping in to say I am trying a part board on a mare. It’s been a long time since I have had a horse to ride and I hope it works out well.

Hope everyone is well and happy. Prayers as always
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm

I missed it, Graymare. I was watching a NASCAR race and forgot to switch over to the race. Was it a good race?

Nancy, I really hope your horse works out for you. I'm glad to see you here. Drop by more often. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 am

NANCY LEE got a new horse!!!    wavy wavy wavy Tell us more!  What kind, what sex, where are you keeping it, is it sweet, what color??????  Nosy me wants to know!!  I hope it works out great for you.  I can't wait to hear the details! :dance:

Busy and hot weekend here.  We got 112 bales of hay into our barn loft on Thursday, then took Daisy and Areion to Va Tech on Friday to have their feet checked out.  Daisy was Ms. Calm,  Areion took about a half hour after arriving to calm down and get her marbles back.  Then she was good.  They even both got on the weight scale, something Daisy hates.  (I hate it, too, but for different reasons...)  Daisy had good news, her feet are doing better and she has lost about 150 pounds.  Areion's news wasn't so great.  She needs to lose 150 pounds and she definitely had a laminitis episode back in July when she hurt her rear foot, then limped on her front feet a few days later.   The vet thinks she will be okay after we get her weight down and some hoof trims to reset the one coffin bone that is angled a bit off.   She is actually not limping right now, but her soles are thin and she has to be careful walking on gravel.  So a stricter diet is in her future from now on.  

Monday we have 200 more bales of hay arriving to store in the garage shed, Tuesday we have firewood coming in a dumptruck and will have to stack that.  Today we cleaned out the garage shed and rearranged our farming equipment to make room.  We are tired!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 am

ARK ...Nancy did say "mare" and I think that should answer your question about "What sex" !! ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 1:55 am

Ruby is a Percheron/Hackney about 13 years old and 16.3ish. She is at a stables about 20 minutes away. They have a very small wooded area with trails and an arena. The gal who owns the stables has been quite nice to deal with. I have a couple pics but don’t know how to post here. I will check on the laptop. Right now am using my iPhone.
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 2:13 am

Okay, all I could manage was changing my avatar. That worked anyway.

RICK, hope your health issues are resolved quickly

ARK, so most of your questions are answered but as to is she sweet? She is a nice mare, kind of pushy, being used for a school horse and being big, she can get away with a lot. But I like her, and am doing a little groundwork to get her to pay attention to me and build a relationship.

Speaking of avatars, I like your pic at the top of the page. Reminds me of when we used to go do Halloween on horseback, back when we had the farm and would trailer into town all costumed up. Good times

I have to go back and read posts...
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Oh NANCY, I'm so happy for you. That mare can trot forever, I bet.
You will eventually develop a close bond and then the magic will happen.
I can't wait to hear some stories............

Today is sunny and cool.............I washed the stall so it's minus spider webs and dust.............I'm going to finish the outside this afternoon.

Everybody have a good day............God bless.
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm for me. I am going a month at a time in case it doesn’t work out or my body can’t take it. I’ve been terribly inactive and fairly depressed and this is one reason I have decided I must get back into it. Far too soft now! Lol
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 11:56 am

Hi again.

Nancy, you'll do fine...............by the inch it's a cinch, by the yard it's hard.
Remember, you're not going to the olympics..................just have fun and enjoy.

Sunny and beautiful here today...................horses are fed and out. I still have
some winter chores, but the hard work is done.

hug ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 am

NANCY LEE:
Ruby looks great! ClappingHands ClappingHands I hope you have tons of fun with her. I bet she will cure your depression and get you in shape, too. When I had my big illness, now 6 years ago, the thing that helped me get better faster was wanting to go out and see my horses. At first I could barely walk to the gate, but it wasn't long before I was back down at the barn and 6 weeks after getting out of the hospital, I did a 7 mile organized ride with obstacles. (I did manage to fall off when Ivan spooked, got disqualified from officially finishing, but did finish the ride. Very Happy )I really believe my horses got me back on the road to health. I am glad you are going to give it a try! Send me any pix you want posted....Arkazivan@gmail.com

Yesterday we had 200 bales of hay delivered and stacked in our garage shed, the barn loft is full of the hay we made. We have enough hay now to get us thru May. A dumptruck full of firewood got delivered today and another will come in a week after we stack this load, so winter can now come without us worrying about heat or horse food. wavy

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 1:36 am

I have a new format with white background...it use to be blue....last thurs i went to dr here in town had a painful uti. Nurse oractitioner ordered shot for me. Finally a mame nurse came in 40 minutes later with injection. I asked him what was in it. He said 3rd generation penicillin. Gave me the shot in the butt. I was burning terribly....he sats well you shouldnt burn cuz it had lidocaine un it....right before i fell on the exam table....i said WHAT. I had just told the NP i was allergic to ALL caines....i saw her type it in her notes. Ive been sick for 3 days...my whole body is burning...bp up...heart rate down...weird...nausea...diarhea...constipation...headache....you name it! Its been bad. Yikes go on vacation...almost croak.
Nancy great you have a horse...enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 am

NANCYLEE:  A big conragts on getting a new horse.  Us horseless people are so jealous. Waiting with baited breath to hear some terrific horse stories from you.

CB:  Gosh that is terrible, I'm praying for you.  Some of this health care just sucks.  No one pays attention to what the heck they are doing.

It's still stinking hot here in PA, the bugs are awful, the township actually was spraying for mosquitoes yesterday, they are outta control.  I killed the largest mosquito I ever saw in my life the other day.  It looked like a small drone.  LOL

Had my yearly doctor appointment on Monday.  All is well, my knee is just a sprain and didn't have to get a cortisone shot in it.  HOORAY.  My doc is so funny, when I was telling him that I tweaked my good knee while I was getting up from praying at the altar with my friend for her husband who was having heart surgery he said "you should have been praying for yourself while you were down there."   I'll just be praying on my feet from now on.

A quiet week ahead, I'm going to rest and relax until next week when things get rolling again.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm

CB, how're you doing? And, RICKSTER, any better?

hug hug hug
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Brrrrr. Talk about a sudden change! Yesterday was in the 70s. Today is in the 50s and going down. I'm wearing a sweater for the first time since last winter.

I went with neighbors to a new/old restaurant last evening. It's a place that has been around for a long long time, but has changed owners a couple of times recently. If the new owners continue with what I had last night, they will be around for a long time. Along with a regular, if short, menu, they had a buffet filled with home cooked food. Tasted just like most people would cook at home, including home made soups, and a salad bar. I will definitely go there again.
It was nice to visit with the neighbors too. They travel a lot and we don't see each other very much.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 pm

We got a lot of rain yesterday from a storm system coming in from the east off the coast. It rained off and on all day, sometimes so hard it was difficult to see the road. I got caught in it coming back from seeing a friend 35 miles away. What should have taken about 45 minutes to travel on the interstate, took an hour and a half. I took the interstate there and then the service road alongside the interstate coming home. I saw one wreck, but there were several. We got a couple of inches of rain at home. There were two wrecks near our house on our road, people just don't slow down when they should. I was never so glad to get home.

Then today we got rain off of Hurricane Michael coming in from the southwest. It POURED all day. A friend's farm looks like a lake. Our property did pretty well, the slope and drainage took most of the water away from our barn and arena. The work Donnie did on the drainage before Hurricane Florence has held up for these storms. Our driveway is going to need work, though. I didn't go anywhere, but Donnie went to work. It was a good day to stay home. study I got the barn cleaned early trying to miss the rain, and got soaking wet, then the horses spent the day in the barn. You never saw such a soggy bunch as what came in from the field after I cleaned the barn.

The rain is almost past us now and then we will cool down like your area, ELLEN. We didn't get any wind off the hurricane, just rain.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 pm

Roll call yall. What a storm its just not giving up going up the coast....may all foops be safe.
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Hope everyone is safe from what looks like a monster hurricane. Saw pics on the internet which were quite scary. Went riding yesterday with a girlfriend from public school days. She was a year behind me but somehow the horse crazy girls in that little school found each other. Funny, we were inseparable for a few years, and then she just started avoiding me. Never knew why but whatever.. just an adolescent girl thing... accidentally found each other on Facebook (mutual friend) and have started getting together a bit.

She and I have ridden together at this stable twice now, as they have trail riding there and she can just rent a horse and go with me. It's been great. She is the kind of gal who has a lot of enthusiasm and energy, and also has her mother with Alzheimers issues living with her. I hear what she is dealing with and feel fortunate in comparison.

I am still keeping my eyes open for another part board situation, as there really isn't much riding to be had at this place. I do like the mare, but am not in love. So, will keep looking for something with more interesting riding. Have made an inquiry at the area where I first had my Curious George horse way back when. The riding scope there is almost unlimited, and so varied, and that, in this part of the world, is a miracle. would love to work something out there. It is much further to go, but very close to my brother and that would kill two birds, three actually, as I could take my mom there sometimes when I ride.

Meanwhile I am enjoying riding again and horse activity, very much.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Its been a drizzly / sprinkle / light / and hard rain today with about est. 30 minutes of hard gusts of wind. Again...almost what I would say was a "non-event" as far as a hurricane is concerned. There are, of course, a number of dead limbs in yard to be picked up before mowing. I feel really fortunate we have had no damage to speak of from the two hurricanes.

Don't remember if I said earlier, but we got my shop/shed/barn building painted … it looks nice as a "barn red" with white trim. We really need a new roof on it also … current roof is mis-matched and looks bad in addition to being over 30 years old / and part 25 years old. Takes $$$$ to do that.

Im in a "holding/waiting" pattern as far as my health issues are concerned. My biopsy is now scheduled for 31 Oct. and that means any surgery (rotor-rooter) will be in November. Ive been dealing with "stuff" attached/stuck in to me since 19 August!! Im NOT a happy camper, but its too late now to change doctors as that would mean starting over. Oh well … it is what it is!! Carol has started mowing yard because she wants me to stay off tractor.

Love to all … Rick
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 am

Rick glad to hear no bad weather there
Also glad you did the barn in red....I like red barns!  
Thinking about your health

CB how are you feeling now?

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 am

NANCY LEE:
Ruby is sure a pretty mare, got a pretty face! I am happy you are out there riding again! Too bad there aren't trails leading away from the farm there. Are you saddle sore?

RICK:
That doesn't sound like a fun way to spend Halloween. I hope they fix you up. We ended up with about an hour of gusty wind at the end of the rain from the hurricane. We got off pretty well here, although lots of folks got flooded. They were running snowplows up and down the road to push tree limbs off the road...I never saw any on it, but I guess there could have been enough to justify that. I hope hurricane season is over.

I am supposed to go on a ride with Ivan later this morning. The wind is actually worse now than earlier this week, so my riding partner may cancel. We are going to Pandapas Pond Park, which is all wooded.

ELLEN:
48 degrees here this morning....shiver.....I guess the cold front went thru.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 11:13 am

Rain here today, supposedly all day................horses in and eating.

I'm drinking my coffee and just thinking about life in general and how lucky I am.
I've had such good times and still do. I pray for good health for all.

Lazy day...................

wavy wavy wavy
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Yep, all day.....................
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 8:04 pm

It was rather cold here this morning, 36°, but warmed into the low 50s with some sunshine. There were quite a few boats and pontoons out cruising around or fishing. Some more people pulled boats out at the ramp across the lake.

I'm getting some sewing done that I want to finish early this week. Making progress on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2018   October 2018 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2018
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next