Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

November 2015

Go down 
+4
cb
Rose
Rick Angell
Donna
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Graymare

November 2015 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 3:52 pm

lol! lol! lol!

Ha, this is Maxine:

“Bale em out? Hell, back in 1990, the gov’t seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion. As required by law, they had to run it.

They failed and it closed.

Now we are trusting the economy of our country, our banking system, our auto industry, our health system to the same nit wits who couldn’t make money running a whore house and selling whiskey. What the hell are we thinking?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 5:58 pm

ROFL ROFL ROFL Ain't it the truth.
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:41 pm

CB, you and Greymare were part of the Over the Fence bunch when Tracey died. Amazing that you can remember where you were and who you were with when you found out.

Do you or anyone of this group have any contact with Pam F.? Im assuming you mean Fershaliser. Looked up her phone number a year or so ago and never did call. She and her Mother came to visit me one summer. She was an Eldridge and her Father was from here and they were on a search for relatives.

Donna
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:46 pm

I remember sitting at my computer, still in Speedway when I read the news on the forum.
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 10:02 pm

Ellen, we were such a close knit bunch of people on that forum. So many have passed on and I have such great memories or our many laughs. It was like a huge extended family that really cared. Tracey was flattered that you all greeted her with open arms and made her feel welcome, before that she was sure that you were all ax murderers, rofl. In fact most of my friends were sure of it too.

Your bird feeded is showing signs of a long life, BTW. I think of you every time I look at it.

Donna
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 2:34 am

Donna, yep we were a good group over 50....but we still r just smaller, but same support and hugs! I remember we took jessi to kentucky for 4h competition and we went to see gene aka ol man and virginia and jessi kept tellin us they could be axe murderers, but after meeting them and time for bed I asked her if she wanted to sleep on the floor in our room and she said "nah...they r too sweet to be bad"....kids!
I'm surprised george let trudy go off with us after I showed up in one of my cow outfits! and wearing the whole moo outfit into the restaurant was such a riot....and then we all held hands and wished you to heal and be strong when we all thought of you losing your beautiful Tracey.

Well chicken coop is finished, we can get a few more hens now....he has a lot of projects before his knee replacement, but we have our hay in and tank heaters and heated buckets and chickens have a heated dog bowl....dogs all eat and drink in the house. I think I can muddle thru doing all the chores myself for a few months...I did it for years when he was driving truck.

Well tomorrow is auction day, a bit of junk and treasures and then poultry. wednesday we go to have trailer hitch put on the car and we will know then if our car will pull it ok. its spose to weigh 800 lbs or less.....lets hope.

Well goodnight y'all, sweet dreams.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Tracey   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 2:38 pm

Donna, first of all, welcome back, I think of you often and of course we are FB friends. I was part of our group back then also and I read of Tracey's passing that day, with sorrow and heartache for you and the girls. She was one of my biggest hero's as I remember her riding talent after she lost her arm. She had guts that were so admired. Impossible to think that Tommy Girl is now 16.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Is it cheating to rake leaves into the street when the wind is blowing strongly and takes them on up the street? Very Happy It's too windy to try to deal with them right here. (Is that an excuse?)

There you are, Rose. I was afraid we'd lost you again. How's your new horse doing? What about the Haffie?
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 12:33 am

Scared TWICE .... .this week while "trucking"

I got loaded on Thursday morning in Darlington, SC and got out on Interstate 95 headed for my favorite truck stop at Exit 33 in Virginia ... a 4 hour drive at 70 / 75 mph.  I can just kinda / sorta sit back and "hold the steering wheel"!!  I got to the truckstop and parked on the fuel island ... went to rest room (QUICKLY ... lol!!) and came back out to fuel truck.  For some reason or other I glanced down and saw a broken wheel stud in the wheel ... a 2nd stud broken / hanging ... and TWO more completely broken and gone.. I checked the nuts on the remaining 5 studs and one of those was loose in my fingertips.  I was able to drive about a mile (VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y) to a truck garage and had all TEN studs replaced.  It really scared me to think WHAT IF the other studs had failed and dual wheels had come off at 70 MPH.  I could have had a serious accident and other people could have been hurt / killed by bouncing wheels off an 18 wheeler!

Coming home last night, section(s) of Interstate 85 in NC are under "road construction" and ORANGE BARRELS are everywhere!  At one point, there is an exit that veers off to the LEFT side.  I was driving 50 / 55 MPH in the construction zone and saw ahead of me that a straight truck that was well ahead of me had taken the exit.  Just as I started by that point, that truck changed his mind and darted to the right THROUGH / BETWEEN some barrels to get back into my lane.  I barely missed him and my right side wheels were on the ground beside / off the paved shoulder.  Trucks can't stop all that quickly ... I was HARD on my brakes, but also fully (LEGAL WEIGHT) loaded.  I'm guessing there was about a foot of clearance as I went by!  GLAD to get home last night!

Maybe "somebody" is telling me to RETIRE again ... for the third time !?!?!?!?!

Anybody seen JINX around??

Love to all ... Rick & Snoop
Back to top Go down
Donna

Donna

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 6:57 am

Good Early Morning,

It is 5:30 a.m. here in Yarmouth. The oldest poodle had to go pee so I am staying up and getting some quiet time on the computer.

RICK, glad that you noticed the studs before you took off again. That is a scary situation. Hope that you had the rest checked at the same time. There was a young fellow killed here last week, well not here but not far from, he was driving a small pickup and was in a crash with a tractor trailer. It was at an off ramp so I bet he was trying to race the trailer on to the main road. Never did hear. There are a lot of idiots on the road and you have to do your driving along with theirs. Keep safe.

ROSE, thanks for the welcome back. I was trying to log in for ever and couldn't get there. I miss keeping up on all the activities on this board. you got a new horse???? That is wonderful. I don't ride anymore, just shovel and feed. Somedays, like yesterday I wish I had what it takes to haul my saddle over to the barn and get Tom geared up for a little ride but then the thought passes, Very Happy Very Happy

Got a LOT done yesterday in the basement. Put up a set of shelves and got stuff off the floor, going for another set today and complete the wall. What a difference hauling six chairs and a hall table made to my space. Now if the the guy that buys these things will only call and come to get them I'll be happy.

I hear another doggy up and ready to go out so the day starts. Today is THE day. Sad I will go to the cemetery this morning and pay a visit.

Later guys. Have a good Sunday.

Donna

PS....... ELLEN it is perfectly legal and just fine to blow leaves out on the road. Our neighbour does it all the time. Traffic then crush them and they go to dust, Smile

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 8:47 am

DONNA: Another big hug to you this morning. (((((DONNA))))) I'll say a prayer for your and your family at church this morning. I remember getting the terrible news when we were in CT having a little Foop Fest.

RICK: WOW...your guardian angel was with you last week. So glad to hear you made it through both disasters without a scratch. Driving is a real treat nowadays, you have to have eyes in the back of your head on the roads. People just don't care what they are doing behind the wheel. Might be time for another retirement for you, go with your gut feeling.

CB: Yes, Anthony did have the major surgery, they put plates in his neck that will stay there forever. Someday he will figure things out and realize we only want the best for him. It's up to him, we all tried our best to save him from himself. I'll never forget you and your cow suit, my entire family was so freaked out when I said I was going on a trip with you guys to meet more Foops. They were convinced you were a bunch of ax murderers, they all tried to talk me out of going.

ELLEN: So glad we don't have any trees close to the house, ours just fly into the fields. I think it's fair to blow them away just like the wind does.

ROSE: How are you doing with Essie? Us people without horses need horsie news. We love to hear about anything that involves horses.

The Veterans Parade was a lot of fun. The fire hall always has a nice sit down lunch for the Veterans after the parade. They show the Vets a lot of respect. It was cold and windy but not as bad as last years parade.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 10:40 am

Trudy, back then folks were afraid to meet someone inperson they had met on line, nowadays its very common practice, younguns are dating in five minutes! hey ya wanna hook up! times have changed. I havnt been able to find a 2 inch cuppa tea s ince that trip! lol
I'm glad gs had his surgery....kids reach a magical age and change so much....

Ellen, I thought I loved my trees in front yard until they dropped their leaves, wow....if my foot would heal I'd be out there raking, but that will wait a bit longer.

Yesterday was beautiful weather, in the 70s, but today will be colder and frost tonight. I run my heater nights, turn it off and open doors days. hubby is trying to get everything done before surgery in 1 month...he's like a busy bee.

Rick, I saw a mom driving the other day with 2 small kids in car, texting and going 75 in 65 zone, swerving....eek. be careful out there!

Sandie is settling in altho the biggest, she is the lowest on the feed chain.she is pretty and follows us around with her nose on our butt....we have just been doing very basic stuff, brushing, picking up feet, leading, tying, loading, unloading....I think we will try saddling and bridling at least a few times....before surgery....and then I will send her out in the spring to let someone else see what she remembers. the horses all cantered in from back pasture yesterday...gosh they all hadistance these wonderful canters going and then they decided to race....sandie won....which I'm not sure is necessarily a good thing! left me saying "oh my"
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Ok is it me or do I have gremlins from another country who changes spellings and complete words on me? started happening few months ago.....I never had spell check before then show up on the bottom of my posts....what is going on? cuz now I do and I'm not sure they know how to spell! I feel like there is someone else on my phone with me....ackk....maybe I am losin it......
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 pm

CB, I do very little actual raking. I either use the blower or the mower. If I had to rake all the leaves I have, they'd still be there come spring.

As for the spelling thing, sometimes my phone and my computer will decide what I'm trying to say and change it without me wanting it to. That could be what is happening. Once in a while, I really have to work at making it spell what I want.

Rick, so many states have laws against texting and driving, but unfortunately there aren't enough officers to enforce it. Too many people seem to have so little regard for laws now. Was it always that way and I'm just too old to remember? Or has that really changed in more recent years?
Maybe it is time for you to retire for the third time so you'll be around, undamaged, for Kid Cameron.

As for the studs.... About 25 years ago, I'd had new tires put on my van. I was driving along an interstate about 70mph when I started noticing a vibration that was getting increaslingly violent. So, I stopped at a rest area and found that one of my rear tires was being held on by ONE very loose lug nut. After a couple of phone calls, I was able to find somebody to come rescue me and put in new studs. When I got home, I went back to the tire place (which is a very reputable business) and told them to check all the rest of the studs and to NEVER use an impact wrench again. From that day on, they always hand torqued. The impact wrench had torqued the lugs too tight and made a ring in the aluminum rims which allowed the lugs to vibrate loose.

Today is a really pretty day, but much cooler.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Ellen, I have huge oak trees with huge leaves...I have 24 of them in the front and back yards and 2 maples in the front too, and then I swear there must be 100 of oak and walnut thruout the 10 acre pasture, but you can see the grass in the pasture, its like the wind blows them to the yard and laughs! I keep sweeping the front porch and every time harry comes in he brings these big leaves into the house.

Have you noticed the phones do that more now? put other words in place of what u posted? boy I am. I thought I was screwing up.....and then I said, noooooo, Ididn't type that......kinda scary, feels like our minds r being taken over.

Happy birthday to APPY AND PAM L!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 3:54 pm

CB, at least you have shade in the summer, and so do the horses in the pasture.
When I moved up here, I had 19 trees on this 80X150 hillside lot. I took out 5 when I did the rebuild, and I have 5 ash trees that are dead and , so I'm down to 9 trees. Not nearly as many leaves now as before, but they blow in from all around the neighborhood. Neighbor across the road has a BIG oak tree. Of course, the direction is just right so that almost all those leaves land on my place.
Finding the weedeater/leaf guy has been a HUGE help for me. I pay him $50 to clean up the leaves in the fall, blow them down the hill and pile them up. He does a really good job and he's worth every penny.
Can you find some kid that would like to make a few bucks to help you out?

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 7:19 pm

(((((((((DONNA)))))))))

RICK, affraid affraid affraid Heavens, it's a huge risk driving anywhere now. Might be smart to retire off the road and work at Walmart, Home Depot, maybe Dunn Edwards or Sherwin Williams. Much safer. Of course, you wouldn't be able to take SNOOP with you as he would get you fired.

Kids had a great time at the gymkhana yesterday and they were so proud
of going in "the big arena" on their own and competing...........I had a good time but almost died by the time we loaded for home. 11 kids, 5 horses, 7 adults. AND, we had a huge cheering section of g parents, parents, neighbors, cousins, other kids from the same program but not in the horse program. Today I'm in low gear. Actually lucky to be in any gear. Shocked

Everyone have a good afternoon. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 7:24 pm

ROSE, give us an ESSIE report.

Leaves, leaves, blow blow blow.
Disappear, just go go go.

Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Retired???? Not quite!   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Okay, Robin and I both have horses now!  She found a gorgeous and sweet 9 yo Haflinger mare in Alexandria, PA ( of course now we have to get her to Columbia, SC). We found and bought a 1999 EquiSport 2 horse, bumper pull, aluminum trailer.  So we are set now.  I'll share the pics on FB and if anyone can post here, that would be great!Smile   My sweet Essie is beginning to put on weight (thankfully), my boarding folks are so good for managing everything.  She has found a cuckleburr bush that I have been unable to find, so Wednesday when I was out to the farm (w/o my cowboy  magic) she had her super long forelock in a total knot and it's rained every day since (like SC needs more rain) so her knot will have to wait another day or two! So grateful that thanks to the trailer Robin and I can go to ride together.  Had an MRI Wednesday on my right knee and muscles don't know when doc will call me with results, soon I hope so I can ride more intently.  Had a large fibroid removed from the left inguinal (sp) area, boy are those stitches and incision tender, stitches out this coming week.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Wow Ellen, that deck work looks awesome! Rick, as the drivers continue to get crazier you may very well continue towards retirement for a last time! Those incidents are so darn scary. Diane, I'll catch up on riding soon, sweet Essie is just a perfect little mare. And a total sucker for apple slices. Talk about spell correct on phones, try to write Coggins............it becomes coffins every time, I eventually made it spell Coggins, but it took some affirmative action and plain determination. Mad I am so very delighted that Robin found exactly what she wanted! Donna, have been with you with thoughts, hugs today! hug
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 9:26 am

GM SOUNDS LIKE A FUN DAY! DID U SURVIVEit all, can u move yet?

Ellen, any extra moolah goes for pet sitter when we do our lil jaunts. Not a lot of kids around as this is a big retiremment area......my pet sitter is an adult just making more money. I will rake leaves after we return from thanksgiving if it hasn't snowed by then, my toes should be fine by then...still sore.... but better. I still wear the splintnand shoe.

Rose, I use wd40 in the manes and tails for any burrs or wind knots. sounds like the two of you will have so much fun riding off into the sunsets.

Ark, you have made so much progress with your trusty steeds!

Donna, r u doing a bit better now? its tough giving up a horse that has been with u for so long, but you know he will be loved and in good hands.

Helllloooooooooo everyone! has anyone heard from gene, ol man?

Today another work day here......weds the trailer hitch put on......yay

I
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 10:37 am

ROSE
Congrats to you and Robin for getting your new horses, trailer, and dream to ride together all set up!! I did see your trailer on Facebook, I will get on my computer and try to snag the photo later. It's very nice! It really is great to have you back and posting here again. wavy

GRAYMARE
That sounded like a fun day with those kids! Yep, I would be exhausted! Laughing They will have bragging rights at school for a long time. Whose horses did they ride?

ELLEN
We have a couple dead trees in our yard, too. Recently dead. Wonder what is up with the ash trees? The leaves have fallen off our last catawba bean trees in the yard and I will have to mow them away....if we ever dry up. We got another couple of inches of rain yesterday, very cold rain. Even the horses didn't want to go out in it. It seems to have blown away overnight, I actually see a spot of sunshine this morning. sunny

CB
I really dislike the spell check feature. It takes more time to correct its stupid corrections than to just reread what I wrote and correct my own mistakes. If I knew how to turn it off, I would. I bet your trees are very pretty in the summer!
While OL'MAN isn't posting much, he does read here from time to time. If you check the "Memberlist" page, it will show when registered and logged in folks have looked in on us. He was here on Oct. 29th. So I guess he is okay....

RICK
You really would have more fun and less stress working at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Donnie got delayed twice this week on our road due to wrecks. They were even on straight stretches during dry weather. The drivers ran off the road, one into a pasture. They had to be texting.

Wrecks on our road are more and more frequent since the road got put into the GPS maps as a shortcut. Fully loaded trucks come down our road and cross the one lane bridge that isn't rated for their weight, despite a warning sign at the beginning of the road. Cars speed around the sharp turns and skid off or hit the bridge. One day the bridge will collapse and stop traffic for awhile. Rolling Eyes It was a nice quiet road when we bought the property. Our lower hayfield access road is at the far end of that bridge.

I think all my mares are in heat. They are all taking swings at Ivan. Poor guy has to watch where they are or risk getting kicked, bitten or screamed at. affraid

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 11:45 am

Poor Ivan, stay safe boy! Mares can be so wicked during their cycles! rear
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Ark do u leave lights on in your barn? I remember reading that breeders would do that to simulate daylight and keep horses coming into season to have a foal by or before jabuary so it would be old enuf to race or be shown cuz they count their birthdays as jan.1 and they would be classified as a one year old. wish appy were here I know she knows how to explain this. usually they don't cycle after the time changes and daylight hours decrease.....anyone else know this and can make me straight.?
Good to know ol man was at least reading, I sure hope he's ok! I miss his posts.

Sunny day but COOL! gotz lots to do....just gotta get goin...... geek No feeling tired.....yawn
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 1:50 pm

The ash trees are getting hit with the emerald ash borer. They crawl around inside the bark and make tracks all over the place, disrupting the flow of sap. There are very few ash trees left now. A state park in Ohio lost 1800 trees. Most of the time, people are not allowed to pick up wood from the forest for campfires, but they have started letting them do that now.
There is supposed to be a way to inject the trees to help them ward off the borer, but I don't know how successful that is.
I'm not sure how wide spread it is, but I know that Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan all have the problem.

I can't say that I know a lot about lights for breeding barns. Here's what little bit I think I know. A vet told me that mares will have one really strong heat in the spring and one in the fall. The spring one usually happens when the days are a little longer. Breeding barns will leave lights on earlier in the morning and later in the evenings to try to 'fool' the mares into coming in season earlier so they can breed for early January foals. That way they will be bigger and older when they go into race training or to the yearling sales.
Of course, my opinion is that they are training and racing them waaaaay too young, starting when they are 18-20 months old. So far, none of them have come to ask me about it. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Astute Observations

There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and dipshit's.

I don't do drugs. I find I get the same effect just by standing up really fast.

I don't like political jokes. I've seen too many get elected.

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.

Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

No one ever says, "It's only a game!" when their team's winning.

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

Marriage changes passion . . . suddenly you're in bed with a relative.

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.

Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I can't even get into my own pants.

I signed up for an exercise class and was told to wear loose fitting clothing. If I HAD any loose fitting clothing, I wouldn't need the freakin' class!

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Wouldn't you know it! Brain cells come and brain cells go, but FAT cells live forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November 2015   November 2015 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

November 2015
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next