Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

July 2013 !!

Go down 
+6
sunny 57
Indyapp
Graymare
Ellen E
Rick Angell
Ark
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

July 2013 !! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 2:36 pm

I had brunch here at my house for all the visiting relatives and my neighbors. There were 17 of us, 18 if you include the 11 month old. Sausage gravy and biscuits, quiche, mixed fruit, cantelope, and cresent roll/cream cheese/cinnamon thing for dessert. Younger cousin and husband provided the quiche, and a neighbor brought the cresent roll thing. Nobody left hungrry. Even though I told three of them not to clean up, they did it anyway, so all I did was cook a little and enjoy the crowd. Now, we're ready to go play.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 4:46 pm

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 5:01 pm

ELLEN:
 Just send some of that here!!  Drool You people eat the best things! I am not sure what I would do with 17 people in my house, but it sounds pretty fun there.

(Of course, today being my Wednesday DIEt day,  catfood on a cracker sounds pretty good right now.  Rolling Eyes )

RICK:
 That was very funny!  Laughing   Made perfect sense to me! No 
 Farmer Donnie is out tetting the upper hay field.  I just spent the last three hours pulling horse nettle (nightshade) out of the cut grass.  There is an unbelievable amount of it.  I barely made a dent out of it.  This is what comes from our former hay guys not cutting our fields before the horse nettle and other weeds seeded out and replanted themselves.  Do us a favor and keep the rain away for a few days!

GRAYMARE:
 Which day is today?  Areion's lesson is tomorrow.  I have high hopes for her!  Last night we put the old training surcingle on her and girthed it up.  She didn't mind a bit.  I may have to let Lori try that first, it would save a saddle if Areion decided to do something silly when the saddle got girthed up and Lori had her move out.  So far, we have just had her on a leadline and not turned her loose.  
 I will post pix tomorrow, of course! Very Happy 

Annie has one more week with her cast.  I think she is ready to give it up!
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 5:06 pm

boy you sure have been busy this summer lots of company, fun stuff, yahooo, glad you are having a great summer Ellen, enjoy it to the fullest extent, and hope you are getting pictures of you and your new toy, and all that food sounds yummy
Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Well, what a weekend! Zaristo and I had the best weekend EVER and Boy, did he look after me!
I arrived back here on Thursday, unpacked, packed again and headed off on Friday to Co Cavan for the TREC National Championships. Met up with my TREC partner and we went in convoy so no problems. Found our stables, bedrooms, friends, BBQ (grill to you!) and got settled in.

Saturday was the Orienteering - and we were told they shortened the course because there is a heatwave here right now. Luckily, coming from TX, it felt normal to me. Wink . And I had arranged to have Zaristo ridden while I was away, so he was good and fit. But the course was really tough, winding through trees and low branches for part of it, on steep forest tracks with tree roots sticking up, and out on the roads with the sun beating down. But my partner and I finished OK and in good time, we were out for about 4 hours. But several riders retired, because they got lost or horses suffered with the heat.
Next morning, several more horses got vetted out - dehydration, or puffy legs, cuts, things like that. But again, we were OK - the vet asked if Zaristo was still alive What a Face - his heart rate was a very good 28 per minute!

So, on to the control of Paces - good boy, didn't break pace and we got a decent score. Next the cross country Obstacles, a 3km track with 16 obstacles, good time limit of 21 minutes. We flew it.... well, except for the Compulsory Walk obstacles. Very Happy  And not the Jumps - I am nervous about jumping. But Z was fab - good strong canter between obstacles but came back to me when I asked. And stepped neatly through the S-bend, the Reinback, the Water Crossing, the Footbridge. What a good boy.

And at the end of the day, my partner and I came in 2nd place pair at our Level 2, so we were really delighted.
BUT, just as we were turning to leave... the organisers announced more placings, this time for Individuals. And they said that Zaristo and I were the overall best at Level 2 and we won a big silver cup! cheers 
But NOT ONLY THAT ( at this point, I am already feeling emotional and sooo proud of my horse), they then announced that we were the Supreme champions and Leading rider out of everyone. I was absolutely in SHOCK and absolutely thrilled. :dance:  And in floods of tears (I am a very emotional person) and so happy.

I just love my horse, what a star.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 pm

SilverD, I would love that horse also, but you have lots of grit too! Congrats! sounds like lots of fun!g
ood thing Texas got you in condition to withstand the heat wave! It is so humid here right now...ugh!

Ellen, THAT BREAkfast was for champions! Have fun with your company and enjoy your new toy!

ARK, yup, get all that nightshade out of your hay...nasty stuff....and of course we need pics of the lesson! I'll bet Annie is ready to get rid of that cast....she'll be happy camper!

Graymare, how ya doin? Healing good? Me, I'm just playing with the puppies....one of the younger ones, has gotten totally spoiled by hubby...he holds him so he doesn't whine.....right now they are both asleep in the recliner! Wish I could send pics.

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 pm

WOW what a show you put on Silver!!!!!! Huge Congrats to you and Z for your accomplishments!!!! I would have truly popped my buttons with pride!!!!

Good luck with the lesson tomorrow Ark!!!!

CB .. you just have to stick it out until it cools off for you .... hate that heat!!!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm

WOW SD, huge congratulations on a great horse and great riding!!! YOUDACHAMP!!!

ARK, sorry, I got my days mixed up I guess. I'm sure Aerion will be a breeze to work with.
It's simply sticking to it and follow through......Lori is great for her. You're going top have a ball w her.

CB, awwwww, those puppies get you through the heat. Our moon here at night has been gorgeous.......it must be pretty in your range country.

SUNNY, are you out and about buzzing in your scooter?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:12 pm

SILVERDANCER:
wavy  That is wonderful news!! :dance:  You and Zaristo have quite a partnership!! I love the contests you are involved with, I sure wish they had those around here. Such variety in one weekend event. Congrats on a great job for you both! Did you have pix taken? I am proud of you and Zaristo! It sounds like such fun.....cheers 
So how hot was it anyway? What is considered hot in Ireland? We felt cool here today at around 80 degrees with a breeze. It will be a degree or two cooler tomorrow, which will help with Ivan and Areion's lessons. It would help our hayfield if it was hotter, though.

CB:
I don't think I could take Texas heat...or Arizona's. I would melt. Your pups sound very cute! How are you feeling today?

GRAYMARE:
Areion has a very long stride that will be very interesting to ride. She moves big. Ivan's isn't that long, of course he is 5 or 6 inches shorter than Areion. I really hope Areion takes to riding well. It won't be too long before we know! She is calmer than Ivan, too, which gives me some hope for a more relaxed ride. With Ivan I am always at attention, no lazy riding with him. He has made me a better rider, but I would like to be lazy on occasion!

OL'MAN:
Got your second cutting of hay going yet? We have a very small window of opportunity here. If we can get thru the next three days with no rain, we will be very happy.

Today is Cactus Jack's 16th birthday! Where has the time gone? He arrived at our place when he was 18 months old, such a cute little donkey baby.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 10:41 pm

awwww...Happy Birthday Cactus Jack!:dance: 

We hope to be able to travel a bit into cooler climates next summer, but it depends how much we get done here when the weather cools off.....we have several more large fence areas for the horses to get in and I want to enlarge all the dog areas.....altho they are so spoiled now getting out to run the whole property....and th
en they collapse in the shade of anything they can find!...but the pens are small for them to be in at night, or when someone is here we put them up so they don't spook a horse if the kids/grands are here working with them. I won't let them run at night, I'm too afraid they will get into mischief and get thru the fence somehow/somewhere.....and I don't want problems with neighbors.

Can't wait until the humidity cools some...that will be nice!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Silverdancer, what a wonderful day that must have been for you!!! Congratulations!!!! I just love hearing about things like that. I'll bet Zaristo got some extra treats for being such a good boy for you.

Today was another fun day. The jetski made a few trips. We spent the afternoon relaxing either in the shade or in the water, took a pontoon ride this evening, and ate too much for dinner. Sleep will not be hard to come by tonight.

Ark, I'll look forward to hearing about Areion's lesson tomorrow. I'll betcha she'll do just fine.
As for the hay, they are about to do a 4th cutting around here. It's been a good weather year for hay.

Time to call it a day.

Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 am

silverdancer, that was a great job you and Zaristo did,I know you are as proud as a peacock, you two make a great pair, andIam so happy for you,
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 6:59 pm

SILVERDANCER: WOW Congrats on your big win. How wonderful for you and Zaristo.

ARK: Happy Birthday to Cactus Jack. Time just flies doesn't it?

We have been busy with the garden. Picked a bunch of extra veggies and made a stand with the big FREE sign on it. Gotta share God's bounty..

The weather is GREAT here. Nice and cool today. George & I spent the morning picking black berries. Gonna make a fresh berry pie. YUMMMMMMM. One good thing about a retired hubby that LOVES blackberry pie, he isn't afraid to get in the berry patch and help pick the berries. We had 2 coffee cans in a short time. I still have a jagger in my finger though. OUCH..those jagger bushes sure like to attack. LOL

CB: Remember when I was picking berries from that step ladder and I fell into the berry patch. tee hee I still chuckle when I think of that day. What a dumb redheaded thing to do.
My clothes were about torn off, I was full of jaggers, had weeds in my hair and was bleeding as I drug the ladder home. But I didn't spill my berries...ahhhhh memories...freaked out my neighbor who was driving by and saw me looking like someone beat the crap outta me.

Love & prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Trudy, I do remember that! LOL....at least ya saved the berries!

Has anyone heard anything on Dottie and the range/wild fires that were close to her? I heard someone mention it and then nothing more.....worried. I know all about those dang wild fires.
My daughter in Idaho says they have more wild fires burning than any other state right now! Smoke is in the air, a typical summer thing for Idaho. Guess they are brown and dry up there right now.

Well, time flies....gotz to go put the puppies in their outside pen for a couple of hours and clean the doggie pens....even in hot weather it has to be done.....they are all out for a fun time running the property and then they jump into a horse tank to swim....and then lay in the shade.....I wouldn't even have the energy to do what they do....this humidity ZAPS me!

Later gators!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 pm

CB, me too! BUT, those pups have to be darling!

DOT could see the fires in the distance but they din't get close to her, thank God.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 am

well, that's good news for Dottie....thank goodness. I remember what its lik ae to have fires breathing down your neck! Not fun!

Playing with all the puppy dogs today wore me out altho the humidity eased up some toward evening, thank goodness....

The girls went riding today and one of our pack goats decided to follow along....they rode along the road and Jessi said that darn goat stayed behind them all the way...they were out for almost two hours....Now we know the pack goats will be able to stay with the horses at least....we have never tried that before. Funny goat! He got out when we were getting horses out and just followed along....He is in the big run with Muley and Cinnamon and the other goats. He decided he wanted a bit more action I guess!bounce Idea 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 1:24 am

Areion's second lesson was a bit more exciting than her first.  She was more reactive.  Lori really worked today!  She did finally get Areion back into thinking mode after some serious lunging.  After Areion calmed back down, Lori put the training surcingle on her and Areion didn't mind that at all.  The grand finale was Lori hopping onto Areion!  Good lesson.

July 2013 !! - Page 5 A9qz.th  July 2013 !! - Page 5 Ex6s.th  July 2013 !! - Page 5 Xhiy.th

July 2013 !! - Page 5 Gfnt.th  July 2013 !! - Page 5 42c4.th

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 3:39 pm

LOL Ark .... hang onto your hat gal ..... Areion might just be a bit of a pistol .... Will be fun to see how it goes, but I think you are very smart to have someone else work with her for a while...... Glad to hear that Lori got the upper hand and she had to go to work and be a good girl..... When is her next lesson?
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Lori has her number, ARK, great pics............it's fun for all of us to watch. Aerion looks good.
She's in for some enhancement enlightenment! I'm sure Lori is liking her quick response to training.

Then when you have both Ivan and Aerion to keep fit it gets good. I can't wait to see you
riding her, it's been your dream.

Everyone have a good day! God bless.
Back to top Go down
silverdancer

silverdancer

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind words - I am still on a 'high' but gradually coming down again to normal!
There were plenty of photos taken, I'll see if I can get hold of a couple and post.

ARK - the temperature was in the 80's, clear skies and sun, so it was very hot. But the saving grace was there was a light breeze, just enough to cool us occasionally and they held us at a Checkpoint in the middle of a wood for 25 mins, to let the horses cool off. And water was available at every CP if the horses wanted to drink (or the riders, we took plenty with us - I learned that lesson a while back and don't take a chance now).
Areion's training sounds really interesting, you must enjoy watching your horse being worked and she sounds like a fast learner. I like the pics, she is a good-looker.
What a thrill it will be when you finally get to sit on a horse you bred yourself and brought along from birth.

Don't like the sound of those fires - that is something I would dread.
CB - I remember you posting last year about always waiting to hear if you had to leave home in a hurry, the fires were so close. But when I left TX last week, we had just had 2 days of RAIN! So hopefully you had some of the same and that will have soaked everything down, at least for a while.
And that was great news about your medical exam...

And despite the heatwave of the last 3 weeks here, since last night Ireland has returned to normal - it's raining! Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 pm

oh b
oy, another humid hot day here....and yes we had that heavy rain here too, everything is green and not brown and dead like folks tell us it usually is this time of the year, so I am thankful for that at least.

Hubby is out watering everyone....he can stand the humidity better than I....I go out about 7 or 8 t9 clean doggie pens and hose the dogs down while he feeds the horses...then we both come inside and shower before we can even eat we are so wet and sticky! Deoderant fails us in this weather!...but the animals don't seem to mind!

Jessi rode Max and Bailey and Audrey rode King in our small work area...King really likes Bailey lots and lots...does anything for that lil twerp...she is 6. With Audrey he is a bit stubborn but she can make him do what she wants, he just isn't as willing. They worked about an hour altogether and gave up and came in and had cold water and a popscicle

Even the youngsters mind this humid stretch we are having now.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 am

CAROL:
 I think you are right.  I am glad to have Lori working out Areion's kinks!Laughing   She is a sweet natured horse, but has had four years of being the baby and is now having to work like a real horse.  She protested that a bit with Lori yesterday, but Lori knows how to handle her.   I don't know a lot of people locally that I would trust to train my horse, but Lori has my complete trust.   Areion's next lesson is next Thursday right after my lesson with Ivan. During our lesson yesterday,  Ivan and I did a lot of 2 point trotting, and jumping over our little jump a few times.  Riding 2 point really helps my balance.  

SILVERDANCER:
 Areion is a fast learner, but has some attitude.  While I could do it, I am very happy to have Lori train Areion for awhile.  It would take me months while Lori will get things done much faster.
 When is your next Trec event?  They sound like such fun.  

GRAYMARE:
  I am really looking forward to riding Areion!  Keeping two horses going under saddle will be a challenge.  Since half of Areion's ancestors were used in the bull fighting ring, I hope she proves to be a braver horse than Ivan is about strange situations.  She is definitely not afraid of people and loves to check out things she can reach.  We have to watch what we leave around, Areion and Ivan take things apart.  Rolling Eyes 

We got our hay up in the upper field today!wavy  Farmer Donnie did a great job on making the hay.  We have 67 pretty bales off the field.  Rain is predicted for tomorrow and Sunday, so getting it up today was essential.   We didn't cut the other 3/4s of our fields because we didn't think we could beat the rain.  We got done at dark, so we were right.   I had the help of the neighbor boy putting it into the barn as Donnie finished baling it.  

July 2013 !! - Page 5 Apns.th   July 2013 !! - Page 5 Zpz2.th
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Ark, it's really going to feel good to have your own hay in your barn, ready for winter. Being able to roll those bales will make life easier too.

Looks like Areion will be ready to go pretty soon.

I don't know what happened to summer, but yesterday and today certainly don't seem like it. It's only been in the high 60s for the last two days. Too cold to want to run the jetski.
All the troops have gone home. Two left on Thursday, nine more left yesterday morning, and the last one left this morning. It was a really good week and nobody wanted to go home. I hope they can all do this again next year.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:21 pm

ELLEN:
It is cool here, too, although not as cool as your area. We are in the high 70s today, less yesterday. I bet your family had fun even with the cool temps! You are a good vacation spot.
Those little round bales Donnie is making are very cute and easy to handle. I can just roll them to where I want them before picking them up. It's a lot easier than carrying the thing the entire way. They can be unrolled easy, too, and then put into hayfeeders, or I can put an entire bale into a large mesh feeder. Pretty nice!

RICK:
Did you wash away yesterday? It rained all day here and I heard parts of NC where Donnie's sister lives got 6 to 10 inches of rain. Yikes! They have roads washed out. We didn't get that much, but got plenty. Our cut field is already greening back up.

We took Annie for shopping therapy yesterday since there was no working on anything at home. She is a shopaholic! We went to several shops and had lunch out at a Mexican restaurant. She was a happy camper.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 7:13 pm

The couple from Charlotte were driving back to N.C. today. They loved the good weather we had here all last week.

Does Annie get her cast off this week?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 7:32 pm

I'll try this again, posted earlier but it must have gone into cyberspace!
We went riding this morning while it was cool enuf to go. Jessi on Max, the neice of Nikki, and Hubby on Rocky, and I on Mr.. Tanko.....we rode around the block which is about a 4 hour ride ...things were good, until these two big grey geldings...beautiful horses, came flying up around a building right on the road we were riding down....the horses invented a new slide, hump, jump move! We all lost stirrups, and I really thought I was a goner....but we all stayed on top. Max was the quietest of the four, the other 3 being ol' fools! I am thinking I need something shorter than Tank, I do not want to fall from his height! Now that I am thinking about this....whewwww....he is a big boy...over 16.2 and about 1350 pounds.....big 'un! He rides great, except for thos spooky dippy slide jumps. Hubby says he will start his mule and then I can ride Rocky, he is shorter by 6 inches...that part would be good.

Well, we have run the doggies and watered the horses....put a new water tub into the dogs....why do they eat them!? they have chew toys.

Anyway, we are kicked back relaxing....

ARK, great todo on the hay....Mexican food sounds good to me, too.

Ellen, your pic looks cool!

Have a good week everyone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 2013 !!   July 2013 !! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

July 2013 !!
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next