Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2014

Go down 
+9
Rose
Beech
sunny 57
Manygatess
Rick Angell
Graymare
Indyapp
Ellen E
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

January 2014 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 11:24 pm

I'd miss y'all too if I didn't have my puter. There have been times I have been off becuz of breakdowns in my putters....but I've always come back when I could.

The GD's rode today going over a wooden bridge and trotting over poles, the weather was wonderfully warm, had my tank top on! Luvin it!
I put our Palomino Appy mare on craigslist today and someone called five minutes later and came to see her and bought her....I'm hoping she will be good for these folks, and they seem nice, and have had horses for a few years now so are not total beginners. Hay is getting so terribly expensive we had to cut back. Working with a fixed income puts a damper on any rescues, but I have enuf to care for right now.

Well, hope everyone has a good weekend.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 12:30 am

Holy Moly ELLEN…………….sorry for your mess. I sure hope the geeks get your computer straightened out. I'm sure they will then, hopefully all will go smoothly.

CB, I sure understand about hay prices……….how are your puppies today?

RICK, say hi to ALMA LOU……and tell her she has good jokes.

No news here today…….TL got me a new seat for the tractor……it's wonderful and funny at the same time. Here's this silly wonderful little tractor with a class act tractor seat on it……I call it the Bertha Big Butt model………………it's seriously nice, tho, very easy on my back. LOL (backside)

Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 1:38 am

I also would miss all of my friends on-line, all of you here and on my other site that is basicaly all I use my computer for so I also will stick with my computer, this was just a conversation that a neighbor and myself had the other day and got me to thinking about what people that totaly depend on computers and all the other electronics would do if the internet ever went down,
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 am

I was very, very, slow to come into computer land, even slower to the internet, however I have met some wonderful friends that I couldn't keep up with without my puter, kindle, or tablet!  A fantastic support and love network!  Now I'm still learning new things on all and my iphone is a continual challenge!  Plus, I pay bills, file taxes on the puter, so if all these went away, I'd surely survive nicely but sure would miss the conveniences!  I still don't Skype or Twitter, not sure I ever will, although Noah insists upon using Facetime on the iphone, brat that he is, Gammy does what he wants!  All dogs, puppies, cat and parrot have been fed and some are napping, some are playing................my turn!  Laughing   ((((hugs))))
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Graymare...I have no idea how all this friends or friends 3rd cousins networking stuff works...and thus have no idea "how" it is that AlmaLou appears on my FB page!! I recognized her name and decided to leave it there. As far as "openly posting" something...I haven't a clue. I will say she does post some beautiful quilting photos / articles. I shall endeavor to pass along greetings from this group!!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Hey guys. I found you on my Kindle. Woohoo. I'm getting better at using this new fangled Kindle.

Another snowy day. A good day for staying home and watching football. Go Broncos!!!

George made a big pot of ham & veggie soup. I made a blackberry pie for desert. Nothing like a berry pie in the middle of winter. Yummmmmm

This is not as easy as using my laptop. Catch up tomorrow.

Love & prayers for all....
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Hooray!!! Peyton won! Sure hope he wins the big one.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:06 am

January 2014 - Page 6 1484192_597610800293349_8623649_n
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Whew! I'm back with my computer - the new one. He called today and said they were ready to pick up, so I went right over to get them. When I got back, I was really upset because I was having the same password problem as before. After calling the store, and then the national Geek Squad with no results, I was pretty disgusted. So, thinking I'd have to take it back, I unplugged the USB for the wireless mouse and keyboard. For some reason I tried typing in the password on the laptop's own keyboard. IT WORKED!!!
Unbelievable.
Now, I just have to figure out how to run Windows 8.1. It's definitely different. I'm going to have to type in all my e-mail addresses and other files by hand. goody
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Patriot fan here.....  shrug shrug shrug shrug shrug 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 pm

ELLEN:
Sorry about your computer woes. If it weren't for Donnie, you'd never see me online. I hope you figure out the new Windows. Every time they put out a new one, it seems people think it's even worse than the last. Donnie is threatening to go back to Linux.

RICK:
I love owls,  Laughing .

BEECH:
Didn't I hear that the Patriots are going to the SuperBowl? Are you happy about that or not happy? How is your horse's colic doing?

CB:
Congrats on selling your horse so fast. That is amazing. I sure hope the price of hay settles down this year.

TRUDY:
I really love my Kindle Fire. I usually do all my online reading on it, but it is easier to type on the computer, so I get on that for posting. I am glad yours is working out!

SUNNY:
Give us some warm news! It was a bit over 50 today, the best day in way over a week, but they say we will get 3-5 inches of snow overnight and be down around zero windchills in the next couple of days. Someone really needs to get the weather straightened out! My lesson this week will be cancelled for sure.....sigh....

Well we had an unfortunate incident this weekend. We found a yearling deer hanging in our upper field fence by its rear foot. It was dead and didn't have an easy death. We have horse safe fencing, but it is apparently not deer safe. She twisted the wire when her leg went thru the top and couldn't get loose. She would have had to be put down even if we had found her in minutes, she had stripped the meat from her leg bone. Poor little thing. We felt really bad for her, but there wasn't a thing we could have done to prevent it. Donnie had to cut the fence wire to get her loose and then drug her away from the pasture where the coyotes and buzzards will find her in a deep ravine on the edge of our property. We have a herd of 5 or 6 deer who graze our upper fields just about every evening.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 pm

ARK………..poor Bambi. I can't even think about that. I'm glad Donnie could take care of her and take her to a place nature can take it's course.

ELLEN, welcome back….I'm sure 8.1 will get easier for you.

Today I soaped, oiled, cleaned tack…………..I only stick with it for about 1 1/2 hrs so still have to keep at it……..I love doing it and just piddle along listening to music………….

CB, didn't NANCY LEE rock you right out of your house? I love doing heavy housework listening and dancing with the vacuum to her music………….

I hope everyone had a good day.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:40 am

I'm trying really really hard to not gripe and growl, but this is a total mess. I can't attach photos to e-mails yet. At this point I have three different e-mail addresses, and none of them work very well. When I try to play any games, it will sometimes freeze for a few seconds, and there are so many extra steps to get anything done. I'm glad I still have my old computer working until I learn how to get this sorted out.
For any of you who are thinking about "upgrading", I'd suggest you wait until the next version comes out. It can't be any worse.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 1:56 am

ack, my posts are getting eaten again!

Pups are doing aok...dewclaws removed today and we put a splint on the onepuppy who was born with a broken tail....how THAT happened I dunno! Whee did our lil dunno shrugger go?

I only have a cd player in my truck but love her voice.

Windy tonight....geesh, the windy city has nuthin over us somethimes. Days have been in 70's...ahhhhhhh

Ark, sometimes we just can't be at the right place and right time ....don't beat yourself up over it...we all know if it could have been prevented you would have done it! We all have soft hearts on here and care about all living things....if we ever had our commune we'd all be so broke taking in all the animals that... needed us! LOL oh wait, I think I'm already there. aint' that the truth! rake 
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 8:16 am

ELLEN: My son the computer hacker for Verizon, told us NOT to go to 8.1, he said it is really difficult and we would become too frustrated to try to use it. He knows us so well. Simple and easy is the way we roll.

ARK: AAWWWW poor Bambi, not much we can do for the wildlife except pick up the ones that have left this world. I am getting better on my Kindle, but it would not allow me to use the word Pizza. It kept auto correcting it to Piazza. I don't like auto correct.

GRAYMARE: Nothing like cleaning tack to relax a person. I can smell the leather cleaner right now in my minds memory. LOL

CB: Congrats on selling the horse so quickly, and on the new pups.

RICK: OK, George loved the broomstick joke, he thinks that is right on...he swears he has seen me riding on my broomstick more than once.  Shocked 

Back to the deep freeze this week. BBRRRRRRRRR

I'm off to the vet with Sassy this afternoon (maybe if it doesn't snow), she has extra toes and has a nail that she refuses to allow me to clip, it is growing around into a circle and she is limping. She will be sorry for being so snippy with me, she HATES riding in the car and going to the vet. I HATE riding in the car with a HOWLING cat as much as she hates being in the car.

Love & prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Trudy, whenever we had to work on a kitty cat, we wrapped in a big fluffy towel and worked on the part that we pulled out of the towel....give the kitty cat nip ten minutes before and they are fine and dandy with anything we did! LOL....course on the other hand, we had a wild kitty brought to the clinic and we had to use the noose on her, she actually bent the pole...we got her back into the animal trap with the noose still on her and we hadn't any choice what to do with her. I think that was the wildest cat I ever had to deal with and 3 of us had to get stitches. We already had our rabies vaccines to work there....but I still sport the scars from that poor kitty.

Laundry today....wow, such fun! at least Jessi and Joey have more channels on their cable than I do...lol. Hubby has an audiology appointment, he is gonna be pi$$ed if he has to wear a hearing aide. ouch....I'll hear about that a lot I suppose, as I am making him go.

Weather is beautiful, its 10 here and I'm in a tshirt already....

Y'all have a great day.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Trudy, your son is right. I wouldn't have bought a new computer except for the new design software that requires Windows 7 or 8. Hind sight says I should have bought a computer with 7 in it. I now have a lesson time set up on Friday so that I hope I can learn how to manage some of this. I've already learned that 8 was designed for the tablets and touch screens, but I don't think I'd be too happy with it even if I had a tablet. (other than my Kindle)
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 3:05 pm

o lordie you two....what am I going to do, I have to shop for anew computer in March, my contract is up with Verizon and it doesn't work now at the house....works great from Jessis' but out at house I drop calls, and can't even get hooked up to my server without trying for hours. Here at the kids' it comes right on....so I was thinking of going with whatever Jessi has, she never has probs with hers at the house. She ws going to shop with me...what should I NOT get and what should I look for?

HELP! please! and thank you ladies!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 6:18 pm

CB, maybe get a tablet….far cheaper, and you can get keyboards for them, too……….
If you read the board, e mail, pics, and just internet, they work very well. They have all kinds of apps etc…………..Jessi will know…………..

Gosh, gorgeous day here today…………I went to get some hay, that breaks the bank here in AZ….I'm sure CA & TX, also……………….. Shocked 

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 pm

CB, the tablets work great. But if you get a laptop, try to get one that has Windows 7. It's much more similar to XP and easier to adapt to.

On a happier note... I tried out my new turkey fryer with a much smaller bird. I put a Cornish hen in there for 13 minutes. PERFECT! It was delicious, along with a small handful of French fries. Very little mess to clean up. Tomorrow, I'll drain and filter the oil to use again later.
I don't do deep fried very often, but this will be fun once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:11 am

CB: Thanks for the cat advice, but everyone in my family is petrified of Sassy. No one will hold her so I can get at the nail. George said "just wrap her in a towel and clip the nail." I said "OK, you hold her and I'll clip" and he ran away saying "I'm not holding that witchy cat." She has bitten, scratched and terrorized everyone in this family. One time she trapped Bobbie Anne in the basement wouldn't allow her to come up the steps. She tore Rodney's baseball cap off his head for just walking next to the chair she was sitting on. They all give her a wide berth. LOL She is the meanest cat that has ever lived, at the vets office, she has a red sticker on her file. Cat with a bad attitude.

She managed to skate on her vet visit, we had a snow storm, so I canceled her appointment. I don't drive in the snow any longer unless it is an emergency. I swear she was in the pantry doing a snow dance and smiling. She will be going on Friday instead.

Yup, get Windows 7 NOT 8. Ellen is right, it is a pain in the butt. My friend Shirley had 8 removed and 7 reinstalled on her computer. I LOVE the lap top and am getting better on the Kindle.

ELLEN: YUMMMMMMM that sounds good to me.

Lots of snow in PA. 15" in a couple places, we got about 5" but it is really cold again. People are losing their minds.

Please say a prayer for a friend of mine. Rob Lunger. He was hospitalized yesterday with the Swine Flu and it is attacking his liver and kidneys & had a fever they can't seem to bring down. He already had kidney problems and needs all the prayers he can get. Thanks...

Love & prayers for all..
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:49 am

Prayers going for your friend, Trudy.

My neighbors have a cat who was a real grouch.  He would roll around and act like he wanted to be petted, and then would try to bite or scratch.  He would sneak out the door when some unsuspecting person would leave it open just wide enough for him.  Then, he was hard to catch.
They finally started letting him go outside and you've never seen such a change in a cat's personality.  He is now very friendly and loves to be petted and isn't ready to attack.  He is a MUCH happier cat.

Other than wanting to transfer some files, I'm getting used to this and am willing to use it as a doorstop rather than a boat anchor. Maybe tomorrow it will make it up to tabletop status.  

This morning, it is +3 degrees and will only get into the teens today.  Good day to stay home.  The big snow missed us this time.  We only got a couple of inches, or less.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 2:23 pm

I had tossed some chips out on the deck for the squirrels. They've been chowing down. One of them must have had enough for now, so he carried one chip about 4 feet across the deck and buried it in the snow, carefully patting down the snow over the top.‏ Then, she came back and got another chip and headed up the tree to her nest. Food to go. While I was typing this, she came back for another one to take home with her.
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Yeah, been working on tack that will probaby never use in my future. Just not think about it. On that cat----every cowboy has buckskin gloves and a fence pliers. Scooting down hill sides in the old fence rows forests brings out the need----. In packing away my old gear, still haven't found any lost knives. Had to cut off a halter one time and later rigged a piece of old latigo to replace that part of the oldstill usable----and I still have not found a knife that will cut good on a nylon halter or an old rope. Grey mare, cb, Harry What is a " good cowboy " usable tool???
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Ark, right now I don't have any warm weather to report, we are in a series of cold fronts that last night we were at only 38 and a high of only54 with it getting down to freezing tonight we already have freeze warnings out for our area but the farther south you gothe warmer it gets, where Eileen is it is pleasent temps cold but not freezing, north of us it is going to be in the 20's with a hard freeze warning it will go up after a few days, but am pretty sure there is another arctic blast behind it, bt that is winter in the sunshine state

but I do feel bad for all of you that are getting hammerd with more snow, wind, and freezing temps stay safe and warm put another log on the fire and curl up with a good book
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Ol Man, Hubby says a good pair of fence cutters....in case you get tangled in fence, around the horses legs, or you need an opening in a fence ....make one! I've had to do that once. We tried to mend it as good as we could, always carry parachute cord in our saddlebags, ace wraps, sanitary pads, Benadryl, cortisone crème, suntan lotion...gloves in there are a plus....we always carry snacks and water too. Harrys' pocket knife will cut thru a nylon halter ok, had to do that once or twice when a horse stupidly pulls back and decides to hag itself....they can pull a safety knot so dang tight you can't get it undone, and no amount of smackin' or kickin that horse in the rump will get it to release the pressure. I do know a way to get them up now tho over the years, you check for prostate problems with your fist/hand...that will normall get one up, especially if its laying on someone, you don't have all day. seriously.

Sunny, we are going to have some freezing rain here tomorrow too...ugh...I sure liked my nice days while they lasted. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Ellen, I love watching squirrels...I use to have a pet squirrel when I was a kid...loved that lil guy. Lots of funny stuff he got himself into ....like jumping on the back our collie and riding him around the house. Collie didn't think much of it tho! LOL

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2014
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next