Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2014

Go down 
+9
Rose
Beech
sunny 57
Manygatess
Rick Angell
Graymare
Indyapp
Ellen E
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
cb

January 2014 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Ol Man, Hubby says a good pair of fence cutters....in case you get tangled in fence, around the horses legs, or you need an opening in a fence ....make one! I've had to do that once. We tried to mend it as good as we could, always carry parachute cord in our saddlebags, ace wraps, sanitary pads, Benadryl, cortisone crème, suntan lotion...gloves in there are a plus....we always carry snacks and water too. Harrys' pocket knife will cut thru a nylon halter ok, had to do that once or twice when a horse stupidly pulls back and decides to hag itself....they can pull a safety knot so dang tight you can't get it undone, and no amount of smackin' or kickin that horse in the rump will get it to release the pressure. I do know a way to get them up now tho over the years, you check for prostate problems with your fist/hand...that will normall get one up, especially if its laying on someone, you don't have all day. seriously.

Sunny, we are going to have some freezing rain here tomorrow too...ugh...I sure liked my nice days while they lasted. Stay warm and safe everyone.

Ellen, I love watching squirrels...I use to have a pet squirrel when I was a kid...loved that lil guy. Lots of funny stuff he got himself into ....like jumping on the back our collie and riding him around the house. Collie didn't think much of it tho! LOL

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:03 pm

My local Whiz Kid is an absolute star! I took both computers to the shop this afternoon, with a list of what I wanted. He understood and made a couple of other suggestions, and explained a few things. He told me it might take a couple of days to get it all done. I left there, went grocery shopping and came home. I'd been home maybe an hour when he called to say that it was all done. So, I hopped back in the car and went back to get them. If I'm going to be snowed in (probably not) I want my computer. Yes, they charged me, but it was very reasonable. That kid and his boss are super.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 am

ELLEN:
Congrats on getting your computer going! wavy  What would we do without whiz kids?

TRUDY:
 I hate the auto correct, too.  I find myself going back to make sure it didn't change something stupidly, taking more time than it would to proof read it to make sure I didn't make a typo... Rolling Eyes 

SUNNY:
 A local friend went down to FL this week, poor thing.  She is sure going to be disappointed.  

CAROL:
 Watcha up to?

GRAYMARE:
 When does nightly foal watch begin?  

BEECH:
 You still have 2 feet of snow? I don't know how you get thru that so often.    We now have about an inch and a half, our first snowfall of the year.  What's worse is the freezing cold that came with it.  Our high today was around 15 degrees.  My seal suit is in major usage.   No riding lesson for me this week.

OL'MAN:
 I bet one of those Leatherman tools and a Swiss army knife would about cover most tools you might need on a horse.  

CB:
 Any news about Jessi?

Pix taken yesterday during the snowfall.  It's pretty, but I'd rather have sunshine and 70 degrees, thanks.  The horses are all wearing their blankets today.  When the windchill gets down around zero, on go the blankets.....

Donnie and Daisy,   Areion and Ivan,   Kazi in barn,    Giles the Cat
January 2014 - Page 7 Utrn  January 2014 - Page 7 OmqwJanuary 2014 - Page 7 3oiwJanuary 2014 - Page 7 N1xh
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 am

ARK, Jessi is doing great, healing nicely. She now has a glow in the dark purple cast! She says its thinner and she can get her sleeves over it easier. She is happy! She did chip or tore some cartilage in her nose they found. Not much they can do about that tho. She is lucky kid. She turned 28 today..

We put fresh bedding in all the dog houses, dogs love that stuff! Its spose to get cold again....sigh....I do like my nice days!

Not much going on here....just keeping busy...hubby underpenned the camper to help with heating bills, and put a porch on the front of camper, oe day it will be level with my front door, but for now I will take a porch. Next he is going to build a walk in doggie house about 20 feet long by 6 feet tall, so we can have heater in the winter and air in the summer for the dogs, and then he will start on the sun shades for the horses....he will be busy! Me, I just work at digging out cactus, I swear that stuff grows faster than I can dig it out. BUT its good exercise and saves money, as we don't have to rent a tractor with a blade. Ya cut corners where one can cut.

Hay is 18 a bale now....never I my life have I paid that for a small bale of hay....ouch....
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 3:02 am

OMG CB……………oh man, that's a LOT……are the bales huge? 110-120 lb bales? HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jessi!

ARK, Faith has no signs yet that baby is near……….clearly big and healthy and happy. Today I was out there petting her and I just climbed up the fence and got on….we ambled about for awhile and did some turns etc……no halter or saddle. All I got out of that deal was dirty pants. She seemed to think that was about as dumb as her human has managed for awhile. Sorry, I have no pics to show for it.

Your pictures are great Ark………..it does look really nice in a picture. I'm sure for you & Donnie it's a lot of work.

OLMAN, We gen have small wire cutters in leather holder, small ax with hammer side in a leather holder and a knife, gun, soda, sandwiches, choc bars, water, rawhide string, coban, easy boot, slicker, no kitchen sink tho. Our riding "outback" is now quite dependent on private ranch land bordering national forest……if the land is posted, they mean it.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Graymare, I wish! These are bales about 65 pounds top as I can lift them. Our bales in Idaho were usually 3 stringers and weighed 110-120. So these are half the size and much more expensive! That's why we sold the pony mare and her baby, the black and white paint gelding and the Palomino Appy mare. I've always said if I couldn't afford the animals I would sell them or find them good homes that could. We are down to a manageable number now with our budget. If he doesn't get his mule going next fall then we will sell her also. Time will tell.

Windy city here today...started last night and hasn't let up at all, probably is getting harder and the camper just isn't made to keep cold air out, specially around the windows....hubby got the underpinning up and that helps....but it will only be yucky for a couple of days and then the temps will go back up even into the 70's...and then I saw on the ten day forecast that we are to have another cold snap...texas, gotta love it, can't make up its mind what it wants! bounce 
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 pm

same here Clara not much wind but it was34 and the high is set for 60, then tonight more cold and only 50's one cold front after another, but without the wind it is not so bad, around hre everyone cals me polar bear, as I go out in shorts and tank top even when the temps are in the 50's , and when I take my dog out at night when it is upper 30's I wear the same outfit, people walk by and just shake there heads they are wearing parkas and gloves and hats, I would dvery well in the cold not even my arthritis is botherd by the cold, it is the only time that I am not sweating, I love the cold always have and probably always will, I am just wierd I guess, everyone else pleas be careful ad stay warm
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 3:27 pm

It was 4 degrees here this morning, now is up to double digits. 10 degrees. WOW heat wave. It is so cold Ace couldn't even poop this morning. He was trying to potty on 3 legs and that just wouldn't work. He doesn't even want to take a walk or play snowball. He is out and back to the house in a flash, no sniffing of every blade of grass like he usually does.

SUNNY: We took a trip to FL in March one year, our friends took us to a air show and the people who live down there were bundle up like snowmen, we were wearing T-shirts and a light jacket. I could hardly see the whites of Shirley's eyes, she had on so many articles of clothing and winter hats & gloves. LOL

We had to buy a new micro wave this morning. Ours has been doing weird stuff and it was making me nervous. Got a good deal on a Panasonic. We don't use it for much but for heating up left overs or warming left over coffee.

GRAYMARE: That is so cool, you can just sit on Faith and cruise around minus any tack. What a great horse she is.

ARK: Great pictures of the horses and cat in the snow.

Stay warm and safe everyone. The count down for spring will start on Groundhog Day.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Another one I swiped from Dot's FB posting. I think it really fits us old FOOPS!

January 2014 - Page 7 1545546_853704994658955_1482879909_n
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 pm

I SAID: "More oats please and could you hurry?"

January 2014 - Page 7 408624449

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 12:11 am

GRAYMARE:
 She looks so sweet....and fat! Laughing  I love looking at pregnant mares!

RICK:
 I totally agree with that cartoon.  This weather is the pits. tongue  spring has a lot to make up for this year.

CB:
 Wow, the cost of hay is really terrible where you live.  I wonder if it would be less expensive to haul some in from somewhere else?  

TRUDY:
I'm for doing in that lying groundhog this year!
Was that the Sun & Fun air show? We went to that a few times. Donnie and I went camping down in the Keys one time in February, it was70 degrees at night and the folks from Miami were complaining about the cold! Laughing 

No lesson for me this week.  We never got out of the teens today.  It has been so much fun picking up frozen 8 balls around the barn...not.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 12:20 am

She's just sooo cute! I love the white socks and stripe on her face.

Ark, it's been pretty cold here too. The like ice is getting thicker and thicker. By the time this lets up, it will probably be close to 2 feet thick.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 8:43 am

RICK:  hysterical I swiped that and am sending to to all my winter weather friends.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 2:35 pm

the waiting game now with Faith....ya better be out there takin' pics of that baby asap! We are all waiting to see them!

Ark, they do bring hay in o loads but want you to buy the whole load, and its still not a lot cheaper. Don't know too many horse folks who wold split it we could trust yet. WE are feeding grass hay and supplementing with alfalfa pellets, strategy edge and stable saver pellets. The strategy adds extra fat to their diet. We lightly moisten all their pellets to help break it down. Everyone is doing fine, maintaining weight, that's a relief for me.
Rodeo time there will be trucks in here selling hay by the bale, we may be able to pick up some then. Rodeo is next month, they have a lot of the preliminary runs where you can watch for free for two weeks of cutting, reining, and roping, barrels and poles.....I hope we get to watch more this year and its a few minute drive from us too which is all good!

Brrrrry cold here last night! But tomorrow spose to be 70. yesss.!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 4:04 pm

WOOHOOOO!!!!! YIPPEEE!!!!! I found my sealsuit! It pays to clean out the closet!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Cool 

for what it is worth I take a bale of hay to our feed store and they grind it up with 50 lbs of oats, 10 lb molasses with some mineral and that gets me 4 big bags of horse feed. I think it is $14 well spent . The snow we are getting now is cutting into my pasture running I am putting out 1/2 small bale to each horse free feed. These cold nights they seem to want more hay.

A friend let me have a 20 acre field so with my 13 acre pasture my other horse friend baled and filled up my barn (little one) --- lost track of all the counts. Next yr I think I will over seed but not hay my my pasture.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 2:25 am

LOL, CB, just hanging out gestating here…………………

OLMAN, we would all love some of your fine hay………things are pretty dry out here on the western prairies………….here, we can get it, but it costs a gob of money…….cattle ranches are selling cattle off like mad as they can't afford hay……………

ELLEN, fancy that, right there in the closet……………it scares me to start sorting mine out.

I washed and waxed the floor today……I love it all shiny and clean with the sun shining on it.
Too bad the windows need to be done……that's Mon or Tue…………..

We have some funny news stories out here……………hiker goes out in the Superstitions (rough country) and doesn't call 911 until almost dark that she is injured (non life threatening) and can't get out. Now, rescue team is up there, also, and all of them have to stay until first light as it's too dark to do the rescue safely………………brother, no other facts. That sure will be a campfire story. Then we had 6 kids (college age) out at South Mtn who got off trail…..it got dark, they called 911 and rescue talked them down using their google map………..all were/are fine, only cold and hungry.
They were only about 1/2 mi from trail head…………….one of them was really cute………..he said "my dad will laugh and remind me I'm from Chicago." Then they all laughed…………. Embarassed 

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 8:27 am

Here is my Sassy Cat story. As you know, she refused to allow me to clip one of her extra toe nails, it was grown in a circle and I thought it looked like it was starting to grow into her pad. George refused to hold her, so I could get at it, so off to the vet we went. She howls at the top of her lungs the minute I put her in the crate, all the way to the vet's office and until we get into the exam room. The 18 mile car ride from hell. I carried her into the waiting room and there was a couple sitting there with their very quiet cat. Sassy howls like Beagle dog and it is frightening. The man says "what the heck do you have in that carrier?" I said "one very mad cat." He says "He has a very deep voice for a kitty." I say "she is a girl, with a really bad attitude." She howled all the way to the exam room and then NOTHING...not a peep when the tech and vet worked on her, not a peep until they tried to put her back into the carrier. She was hanging onto the top of the crate and howling. She is such a nutty cat. She didn't speak to me until around bedtime, she was mad, but at least she is not limping any longer. She had her annual exam and a rabies shot and is good to go for another year. She will turn 16 in the spring and is in good health for a old girl. I always tell her that she is a very lucky cat that I adopted her from the shelter, no one in their right mind would put up with a cat like her. LOL
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 1:41 pm

I am SOOO ready for winter to be over!!

We're back to single digit temps overnight. Soon to be negative numbers with highs during the day in single digits. Snow, and wind. Drifts anticipated to 4 feet this weekend. I had to go down to the feed mill this morning to get feed as I was totally out. I can only get feed on Saturdays because of their hours and the hours I work. This morning my driveway is totally hidden in snow. The truck is only 2 wheel drive and gets hung up in the snow very easily. Turn around room is very limited so I always turn the truck around when I pull in so I can drive right out I'm more than a little put out at Bill this morning. For some reason he refuses to back the truck into the spot where it gets parked and he drove the truck yesterday. Since we had a lot of snow and it blew like mad last night I knew getting the truck turned around this morning was going to be iffy. I was right. The only part that gave me any satisfaction was that I made him drive the truck since I was pretty sure it would end up being stuck. He kept saying that it will be fine as long as the tires don't start spinning. I bet you didn't have to guess that he got the truck stuck. It's about two lengths away from where it started from. You know the distance it takes to back up before you can start going forward getting turned around. I ended up having to drive my car down the the feed mill and stuffing the feed in the back seat. Of course I can't get the car anywhere close to barn where the feed goes because the truck is in the way. So I'm going to end up getting the sled out and hauling the grain from my car to the feed shed. This on top of getting the snow blower out to clear the driveway and make paths to get from the house to the feed shed to the barn etc. Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent.

Manygates, I love your SASSY story. I can just imagine the howl she has. But at least you fixed her boo boo.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 1:49 pm

LOL, lost my post.  Shocked  Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Indy, we got more snow last night too, but not nearly as much as you. It's interesting how much difference 40 miles can make. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to Tuesday's high being -4.
The wind has been howling since yesterday afternoon. I need to get out and go get a few things. I keep putting it off. At the moment, it's nearly 30 but going to start dropping like a rock after while.

Trudy, I'm glad you got your mean kitty taken care of for another year. Cats like that can be a little hard to deal with, but they make for great funny stories.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Ol Man that sounds like a cost effective deal there on your own mixed feed.

Sorry y'all in the snow department....its why I moved to warmer ground...I hated the cold and the snow....we get a few cold days here and then its back to tshirt or tank top weather. Its beautiful today, we have been outside cleaning wind blown and dog strewed trash and moving some hay around, and visiting with some friends who came by this morning...and then Jessi and Joey came for a visit and helped moved hay so that was nice. Just a nice day all way around.

we just had tct's for dinner with some leftover soup....turkey bacon, cheese and tomatoe....all good ...yum...

there is a picture on face book of my crazy dogs....its funny stuff. Dang dogs shouldn't make one laugh like that! but when Joey said "o look, they are trying to do it human style" I had to reply with "Jessi, did you know your hubby was into doggie porn" and then he posted the pic....OMgosh.

Hope y'all have a good Sunday, and stay safe and stay warm and happy!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 1:04 am

TRUDY:
Got your email, will post the pix on 'the day'! Very Happy  Thanks!
Your cat is very funny  Laughing . I am glad I wasn't riding with her! For some reason, I thought Sassy was a male cat all this time.

ELLEN:
Oh good! Now that your seal suit has revealed itself, this frigid weather is bound to go away! Mine wishes it had stayed hidden, it has worked harder this year than ever. Lazy rag....

INDYAPP:
You win for the worst weather woes reported here. At least we don't have enough snow to cause any problems like you do.......But! (Whining commences here:) I am soooo tired of this cold weather!!! I live in a relatively southern state and we are not supposed to have this many days in a row with windchills below zero. We had horizontal blowing snow all day. It was supposed to be 34 degrees today, but it never made 30 and with 45-50mph winds, it still felt like zero to me. No  (End of whining...for the moment.)
I hope your weather improves quickly.

Donnie trimmed Trinket's feet this afternoon while I chipped away at the frozen horsey doo in the barn lot. If the weather guys get it right, for once, we may get lower 40s tomorrow and if the wind isn't blowing my hair off, I will try to get a ride on Ivan. It's been 10 days since our last ride and I need a horse ride fix!

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 3:14 am

SNOOP says "ABSOLUTELY A TRUE STORY HEARD ON A WISCONSIN RADIO STATION,
A guy buys a new Lincoln Navigator for $42,500.00 with monthly payments of $560.00.
He and a friend go duck hunting in upper Wisconsin ....
It's mid-winter.............and of course all of the lakes are frozen.

These two guys go out on the ice with their GUNS, a DOG, and of course the new NAVIGATOR.
They decide they want to make a natural looking open water area for the ducks to focus on, something for the decoys to float on.

Now..................making a hole in the ice large enough to invite a
passing duck, is going to take a little more power than the average drill
auger can produce. So...out of the back of the new
Navigator comes a stick of dynamite with a short 40 second-fuse.
Our two Rocket Scientists...........afraid they might slip on the ice while
trying to run away after lighting the fuse (and becoming toast, along with the Navigator), decide on the following course of action:
- they light the 40 second fuse; then, with a mighty thrust,
- they throw the stick of dynamite as far away as possible.
Remember a couple of paragraphs back when I mentioned the NAVIGATOR, the GUNS, and the DOG...?
Let's talk about the dog:

A highly trained Black Lab used for RETRIEVING; especially things thrown by the owner.
You guessed it......................The dog takes off across the ice at a
high rate of speed and grabs the stick of dynamite, with the burning
40-second fuse........... Just as it hits the ice.
The two men swallow, blink, start waving their arms and, with veins in their
necks swelling to resemble stalks of rhubarb, scream and holler at the dog
to stop. The dog, now apparently cheered on by his master, keeps coming.
One hunter panics, grabs the shotgun and shoots the dog. The shotgun is
loaded with #8 bird shot, hardly big enough to stop a Black Lab.

The dog stops for a moment, slightly confused, then continues on. Anothershot, and this time the dog, still standing, becomes really confused and of course terrified, thinks these two geniuses have gone insane!!!!!!
The dog takes off to find cover, UNDER the brand new Navigator

The men continue to scream as they run. The red hot exhaust pipe on the
truck touches the dog's rear end..................he yelps, drops the
dynamite under the truck and takes off after his master.

Then KA BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
The truck is blown to bits and sinks to the bottom of the lake, leaving thetwo idiots standing there with 'I can't believe this just happened' looks on their faces

The insurance company says that sinking a vehicle in a lake by illegal use of explosives is NOT COVERED by the policy. And he still had yet to make The first of those $560 a month payments. The dog is okay….doing fine. And to think you thought all rednecks lived in the South……."
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Seriously? Oh wow……………..As a woman/wife, I wonder if his wife has a gun……….she'd be acquitted……………A woman would more than likely just go out for coffee with friends and then on to the fish market for a total of $12-15.00………………………….AND, if the group had heard the news of that story would be bragging "gosh, my husband really is smart".
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Yep, those two guys need killin'..... Hope the guy with the car loan is single, because he will be soon if he isn't.  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2014
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next