Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

January 2014

Go down 
+9
Rose
Beech
sunny 57
Manygatess
Rick Angell
Graymare
Indyapp
Ellen E
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

January 2014 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 12:40 am

That is a beautiful video! Thanks for sharing.

The party was a nice success. Everybody had plenty to eat, and a good visit. They had to walk home in deep snow but made it safely. A couple of trucks were trying to get up the hill and were struggling big time. But they made nice paths for neighbors to walk in.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 am

at 1245 AM IT IS 10F AND "FEELS LIKE" IT IS -2F.

ark, would you please close the gate?
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 am

ARK, did you forget that darn gate? We are the same temp as RICK and I cannot stand it!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 am

Rick and Rose, you have 20 degrees more than I do this morning. It -10, and has been all night. I got up being very grateful for a good house, and a furnace that works well.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am

I fed at 745 this morning and it was 5F in the barn aisle way.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 am

-14 This morning, -40 if including wind chill. My horses are NUTS! I kept them in last night and they were so full of themselves this morning. I fed them then let them out. Each of them left their stall at a run with a tail flick, snort or fart. Silly horses.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:20 am

13 deg this morning, warm food distributed all around and sure didn't take the pups very long for their potty runs this morning! ELLEN, I would be extremely grateful for a good house and furnace also! These temps are NOT the reason I live in the deep South! Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:30 pm

here in florida, it was 30 this morning with a wind chill of 20 the high will be only 45, but by the end of the week, it will be 80, go figure, I hope that everyone else is doing o.k and there electric company can handle the overload stay safe and warm
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Ooo. The big excitement for the day was Travis plowing out my driveway, my car starting with no trouble, and then being able to drive around the "block" to get my mail. My car hadn't been moved for 5 days.  Laughing  Doesn't take much to create excitement around here right now. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Awwww Ellen, doesn't take much excitement here either, I just went to the grocery store and Tractor Supply for dogfood! Tomorrow it's VA hosp in Columbia and then the cardiologist for an updated sleep study (just scheduling, not staying). I am a real homebody since I retired, I get out more than enough with my Rescue/Transporting stuff!!! Big Bravo here, Bobby (Black Mouth Cur X puppy)is catching on to housebreaking! So proud of him!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:46 pm

OK....I DID IT...I just talked live over the phone with the babe of SC...the beautiful and sweet ROSE!! And as always...call was way too short and a lot of fun too. She'll stay in touc now!!

24 here an hour or so ago and THAT was the highest. I've been busy feeding the stove.

Love to all, Rick
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 pm

BEECH, when Jessis' Max horse coliced the vet put him on 'Platinum Bio Sponge, which can be bought at bigger feed and tack stores, or from the vet, but its costly....I would feed a Metamucil everyday for a week, the powdered kind .....and also the vet gave him gastro gard which is just nexium....and yogurt is good too....plain yogurt, and corn oil on his grain sometimes will help. We wet all of his hay and grain down to give him extra moisture. I realize with your cold temps that may not be feasible.
I sometimes wish he hadn't pulled thru tho since he did what he did to Jessi New Years Eve. He just blew and I mean blew up and bucked as hard aa any bronc....she stayed with him for 5-6 bucks but she said it felt like she was hovering in air and then she said she threw herself to the side to try and clear him. Thank goodness for helmets altho she hit with such force she broke the straps, but it was banged up pretty darn good from where she hit. Helmets are my friends! She saw the ortho doc on Firday and he sent her straight to surgery! I am thankful that is all that happened besides scrapes brusies and some shiners! It could have been so much worse! The girls were already on their horses and JOey on Tank, it could have been so much worse if their horses had acted up to, but they just stood there and watched, except Tank, he spun and ran, the big Wuss! She saw the ortho doc early Friday Morning and he had her in surgery 30 minutes after he saw her! He will reevaluate in 10 days to see if she will need more surgery. He said it was a nasty break. I also want to say a big Thank You for all the good thoughts, prayers and hums for Jessi. It means a lot. Its nice to know there are folks who are in your corner when you need them. Thank You.
We have had cold here the last two days. WE put blankets on our horses and gave the dogs their warm gruel. Hamburger broth the first night, and calf liver and broth the second night. Our temps were down to 0 with wind chill. Tomorrow its spose to be back up to 60....nice. I can handle that! Y'all stay warm that aren't out of the cold yet and be careful!
Its nice to be back home! yay....
and Rose its nice to have you posting...missed ya!

Batten down the hatches everyone and we will get thru this! Stay safe!

I know there was lots I missed answering....sorry....but it is nice to be back....

Trudy, you look younger every day lady! What's your secret!

Has anyone heard from Santa and Sam and the Pams and Gram and AnnSam, we need to get them all back on here....I miss hearing whats going on with them too....
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Oh CB, it's so good to "hear" from you and I'm so sorry about Jesse's accident. Prayers for her quick and complete healing. It's cold as hell here, 22 deg right now, but at least not the awful winds of last night and this morning! With the windchill it was -9 deg this morning. All pups got warmed food both times today. My handsome, retired truck driver sounded great today, and he and Carol are both truly enjoying their retirement! Sure was great to actually hear from him. Gotta go check the pups, I'll be beack later ((((hugs all around)))))
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 am

Our good farmers here in NC strive hard to produce marshmallows to go in hot chocolate during weather like we are having now. It as not been easy. This important video will explain some of te problems. Please keep this in mind next time you float some marshmallows in hot chocolate.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:32 am

RICK:
Are these folks related to the spaghetti farmers?  Very Happy  Very Happy 

CB:
I am glad to see you back! Poor Jessi. I wonder what set the horse off? Maybe he had something sticking him under his saddle pad....How scary for her, and thank goodness for that helmet!

SUNNY:
I'll trade you weathers...

Well we got thru the worst day here. It was -5 when Donnie got up, but was all the way to -1 before I did. The wind was just horrendous. Tomorrow promises 30s and it will seem like a heatwave! It took me 3 hours to clean the barn, partially because I had the telephone line repairman here fixing the hum on our line and he came and went a couple of times. I had to brave the wind and go back to the house each time he showed up. I love my seal suit, seriously. It isn't bad in and around the barn, but wow, the 300 feet to the house is murder in sub-zero windchills from the 30+ mph winds. (The telephone guy said the reason my phone was humming is because it didn't know the words  Rolling Eyes ). Anyway, the blanketed horses are all fine, their water buckets are electrified and didn't freeze. The barncats have their little heating pads under them in their insulated cat houses, and I carried water to the chickens, guineas and peacocks three times today since it kept freezing. We lined the inside of the chicken house to help stop drafts a couple of days ago, so I think they are okay.

I am not made for this weather! And we have misplaced the power cord to the electric blanket on our bed...sigh.... The good news is, the freeze will be gone tomorrow and in the 50s by the weekend.

The two little shaggy ponies, whose ancestors probably romped in the Shetland Islands, didn't need blankets. I tried to put one on the donkey, but he was convinced I was putting a straight jacket on him and would not let me blanket him. Last time he had one on, he didn't move a muscle until we took it off. He must have remembered that....
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:56 am

ARK, that's what we thought too, but Harry and I both checked him and the tack out and couldn't find anything at all....so it leaves us scratchin our heads as to why he did it. They will have to make a decision, Joey won't let her back on him until he has 60 days on him or he is sold. She says she'll ride Audreys new gelding Zeus while she is healing. She has lost faith in Max.

Rick, I love that ol cow!

Ol Man, you be careful in the snow stay warm!

Carol, are you enjoying your warm days! Saw on the weather channel how nice it was in Phoenix area....Enjoy it!

Indy and Ellen, I thought of you both when the weather guy said you all were going to get some dang snow! I can't believe some folks in northeast are going to get several feet of the stuff in one storm....glad I'm not there!

Graymare, sounds like you had fun!

Well, I'm calling it a night.....sweet dreams y'all.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 8:13 am

Good morning everyone. It is 3.9 degrees this morning and we are heading up to double digits today. WOOHOO At least the wind has stopped howling. Sunday night when I took Ace out at 9 PM, he fell down the ice covered kitchen porch steps. Poor doggie..He bit it hard too. He refused to come back up the steps, I had to let him in thru the patio where there is only one step. He is fine but walking very slowly down the steps.

Yesterday (of all days) I had to bundle up and go to the dentist to have my chipped filling worked on. Of course, I need a crown. Not a shocker there. Since I was already out and about I stopped at Walmart. I bet there were only about 20 people in the entire store. What a fun shopping trip. LOL

CB: So sorry about Jessi, some horses are just buckers. I had one of those, got rid of him as soon as I got back from the ER. I never knew when he would just start bucking, no fun riding a horse you can't trust. I know the girl who has him, he didn't settle down until he was in his late teens. Hopefully the accident didn't freak out the little girls too much.
Ace & his doggie ADHD keeps me young. All the long walks and frisbee throwing keep me up and moving on a daily basis.

Stay warm & safe everyone. The warmer temps are headed back this way on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am

Hi everyone………….

Decision of the day: whether to make cheese sauce or beef gravy sauce for meatballs I'm taking to desert campfire on Saturday evening…………everybody vote. Blah blahs want a campfire (we haven't done that for awhile) so Saturday evening is the date. Keep in mind TL is voting cheese. LOL

Whew, glad those of you in really cold weather are doing O K……………

I can see Addy is getting some age now………she had a harder time jumping in the truck test to go get some gas. She LOVES going anywhere. I see a ramp or just lifting her in in her future.

Heavens, back to taxes……………

HUGE upset at church…….head pastor had an affair or affairs and confessed………..fired as you would expect……terrible pain for all involved. It was even on T V. Gosh, it makes your head spin. Prayers needed. I don't understand the things people do, I can't throw stones cuz I'm people, too.

The program kids are all back and things are in full swing……………..now we have some mini's and a class for the 5-6 yr olds……………..oh man, THIS is cute. Blessings are many.

Bye for now. God bless, prayers for ALL.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 am

The marshmallow farmer must have waaaay too much time on his hands. It would have taken a long time to put all those marshmallows on the trees. And they must have practiced the script a lot in order to keep from laughing as they delivered the lines.

CB, I was watching a rerun of a Clinton Anderson show last night. A woman who was a very experienced horsewoman, had a 16 year old horse that would buck like a sonuvagun. He'd been like that since he was a 2 year old. She'd gotten hurt more than once trying to ride him. I would have sold him to a bucking string where he'd get well fed and work for about 10 minutes a year. Clinton fixed him, but did say that if she didn't keep up on what he'd done, the horse would go back to being a bucker again.

Ark, I still can't find my seal suit. I have no idea what I've done with it. My closet isn't that big but I just can't find it. If I don't find it, I will definitely get another one. Of course, as soon as I order a new one, I'll find the old one.

The high yesterday was about +5. This morning it was -3 but seems to be coming up. Supposed to be in the teens today.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 am

Graymare, I was writing my post while you were posting.  I vote for beef gravy.

That's sad about your head pastor. I guess we're all fallible.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Geymare, I vote for cheese sauce that sounds yummy, never had meatballs that way this campfe thing sounds fun, what do you do at this event ? just curious, do you sing songs and tell stories like at a campfire while camping

well, the worst of our cold snap is over and it will get warmer and get back to the 70's to 80's by the weekend, have a great day and stay warm
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 pm

GRAYMARE: I vote for the cheese sauce, not realy a fan of gravy...it's the one thing I just can NOT make, no matter what recipe I try...too runny, to thick, no taste the the list goes on and on.

That was somthing about your Pastor...ya just never know, we had a pastor at our church who ran away with someone's wife a few years ago. Just goes to show Pastors are just human beings with faults like the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 3:33 pm

This morning, Next Doors had a baby check up appointment, so I stayed with Scarlett while they were gone. She's getting to be more and more fun. She screeched when she heard me coming in their house, and then she sat beside me to read. At one point, she wanted me to knit while she played with her i-pad. Then, we played with Legos, blocks, doll house, puzzles, and whatever else she could think of. All is well with the new baby.

They were telling me that the state roads are clear but everything else is still snow covered and slick. The good news is that the temperature is in the 20s today.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 am

GRAYMARE:
 Beef gravy! Drool 

It was a nicer day than predicted here, 40 degrees, sunny and only a little wind. :dance:   I hope this was our big winter event and now it is over.  The blankets came off the horses, I got the frozen poo off the ground, and everyone was okay.   I am still thawing out, though.

Lesson day tomorrow and it will be a little bit warmer than today.  

ELLEN:
If I were to buy another seal suit, I would get separate top and bottoms. Having to completely undress to visit 'the facilities' is a pain,  an unusally cold pain.  That flap just doesn't work for me. Rolling Eyes ....I bet Scarlette is a cutey!
 I saw the first episode of Mustang Millionaire on my DVR.  I wish I had the rest of the series to watch, but I don't know where and when I recorded it and deleted it before thinking to check that.  Some of the training techniques some of the contestants used were not what I would be happy with, but I wouldn't do something like that in 90 days anyway.  That pretty buckskin mustang sure went for a big price for an untrained horse:  $20,000!  Wowzer.  I wonder how he finished up?  Do you know who won it?

TRUDY:
 I don't think I ever saw a photo of you either.  I've seen your dogs, cats and horses, but never you and George.  You really do look too young to be retired!  

BEECH:
 Anymore snow? Sheesh, I sure hope not.  How is your horse doing?
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 9:08 am

Yes, I've been wondering about BEECH's horse, also……………

O K............two smaller crock pots...............one cheese, one gravy........LOL I'll do the meatballs as usual, then split them into two crock pots. LOL, I went to genius school and the blah blahs will be delighted...........I sure hope somone brings party potatoes. Matter of fact, I'm making that my goal today.........to call around and see who is making those. We ars such a bunch of old funny bags.

God bless. Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 am

Ark, the guy who won was not one they followed from beginning to end and I don't remember his name. But, Bobby Kerr got 2nd AND 3rd with his two horses; $175,000 for both placings. They had a total of 120 days to do the job. I agree with you, a couple of the trainers weren't all that wonderful, in my mind.
I don't know if you could find those shows to watch on your computer or not. I hope you get to see the final episode so you can see the stunts he did with the palomino.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January 2014   January 2014 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

January 2014
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next