Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2014

Go down 
+9
sunny 57
Beech
Rick Angell
Indyapp
Ellen E
Manygatess
Graymare
cb
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

February 2014 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am

CB:
What I am aiming for is an endurance ride, not a CTR. I did do a novice NATRC ride a couple of years ago, but this one is AERC. I rode with a mentor at the NATRC ride who didn't manage our time very well . We wasted a lot of time waiting out in the woods, then had to rush the last two miles to get there in time. We made it on the dot, but that last mile was downhill on rocks and at a trot was sort of dangerous. We slipped and slid a lot and Ivan almost fell on his knees in a dry creek bed. That wasn't fun. I didn't know you couldn't trot uphills at those rides, but we didn't. The first two miles was straight uphill and Ivan fought me like mad, he would rather trot than walk up a hill and would probably have settled down if I could have trotted him those two miles. He was a ball of nervous energy the entire ride.
The ride we are going to in April doesn't have all the rules and regs that the NATRC ride has, so other than having to get the ride done in 6 hours, it can be the speed I want to go. No waiting in the woods for the clock to tick by, then rushing like mad. A nice steady trot should suit Ivan pretty well. We sure have practiced trotting at different speeds for quite awhile.

It was 57 degrees today! wavy  The snow should melt off completely except for deep shade or drifts by tomorrow afternoon. My arena is a big puddle, but is draining. Lori is coming for lessons tomorrow afternoon and Jane the endurance rider may come if she can get her trailer out of her yard. If she comes, I sincerely hope she can get her trailer out of our driveway! It is mushy. Lori wants to work on trailer loading, mostly with Areion, but since the ground is saturated, we can't get the trailer down to the arena and I don't want horse hoof print holes all over my yard where the trailer is parked. So I am going to try to simulate a trailer in the arena using tarps and round pen panels. Should be interesting.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 11:49 pm

How was your lesson today, Ark?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 12:01 am

Yep, ARK, I would let Ivan just move along the first few miles at a good trot, burn some energy off and it will help him settle down for the rest of the ride and move along at a good slow trot....do they still do gunshot starts for the whole group like they use to....we always got out somewhere in the middle of the pack, but if you hold him back he will want to catch up quickly and fight you, but if you just let him go along with the others I'll bet he will do well. Every time I tried to start at the back of the pack, my horse always got so darn excited and bounced, I started just going with the group at the gunshot! There were many rides we passed horses coming back to camp without the riders....so I felt lucky to stay on top and go with the horses' flow for awhile and then everyone got spaced out and he settled down for a nice ride. There isn't a minimum time limit so you can just go with him and see what he has....NATRC was all about the pacing of your horse, couldn't come in too early or too late...that was one thing I DIDN'T like about it. I did like that we could do the trail a bit slower than endurance tho. Some of those people start at a fast trot and finish at the same speed and never break inbetween, they were doing 50 miles in the time I could do 25 miles...it was daunting to my ego, specially when some of those women were double my age! ouch.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 1:40 am

ELLEN and CB:
I had a very nice lesson today! Ivan and I did 14 laps around the arena, a mile, in 9 minutes, so was at a faster pace than the 5.5 to 6 mph needed to finish a ride...at 6.7mph. He could have done it faster, I was holding him back at that speed. We've worked pretty hard at controlled speeds in a trot and it seems to help him mentally. He wasn't even breathing hard at the end of the mile. We did another half mile a little while later and did it at about the same pace. It was fun, but I can sure tell I haven't ridden much this winter. My back feels all that trotting.

Areion is still having issues during lunging at the canter. She does fine being ridden, but acts freaky sometimes while on a lunge line at a canter. She and Ivan both practiced 'loading' in our fake trailer we made out of round pen panels and tarps in the arena. Ivan did particularly good at taking one step at a time both in and out. It was similar to what we have been doing under saddle with moving backward one step at a time. He loves those lessons where he gets treats for barely moving  Laughing. He was in a particularly good mood today.  sunny I think we can do the endurance ride if he continues like he was today. I had a fun lesson.

If all goes well and we can get the trailer out of our driveway, Lori and I are going to take Ivan and Areion on a short trail ride on the New River Trail on Saturday afternoon. It is Areion's first and it will be interesting to see how she is out in the big world beyond her pasture. We may end up hand walking her if she is too freaky, but I bet she will follow Ivan. We shall see....

Jane the endurance rider didn't come today because we didn't think she could get her trailer out of our driveway. She is going to come next Wednesday. Our driveway is mush, everything is so saturated. The snow did melt off in the arena today, though. We only have about an inch or less of snow left in the fields with drifts in shaded areas. It is supposed to rain a half inch tonight.....sigh....Our poor driveway.

SUNNY:
I heard from Brenda, the owner of the Andalusian who is Areion's sire. Remember she had a bad accident involving driving horses about three years ago. She is doing fine now, but Buhonero apparently was injured bad enough in that accident that he is no longer competed, he is in S.C. on a breeding farm. She still has her Shire stallion at home, though.

Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 3:49 am

So sorry to hear about buhonero he is such a beautiful horse glad you had a good lesson and hope you have fun on your ride Saturday I am sure Aerion will do great your trainer is good and patient have fun and be careful
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 4:07 pm

February 2014 - Page 6 1932219_10152152555922906_1642345942_n
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 4:38 pm

RAIN RAIN RAIN and melting snow. YIPPEEEEEEEEE Everything is still white, but it is melting. Until next week when more snow is headed our way.

I smelled a skunk yesterday morning when I took Ace out for his morning stroll. Spring can't be too far away, the skunks are starting to roam about. The first sign of spring and we saw a dead possum on the road today.

Have a great weekend everyone. Keep thinking spring...

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 4:49 pm

February 2014 - Page 6 1546343_10151997249643337_790372316_n
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 12:38 am

Hey Rose!!! It's back! NASCAR is back! Sadly, the brat won, but Peters gave him a real run for it.
Back to top Go down
NancyLee

NancyLee

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 2:45 am

Hi Friends!
Dropping by to check up on you. RICK, loved the prayer. Described quite accurately our sleeping arrangements.  Rolling Eyes 
ARK, your training and riding experience is sounding great! You'll be out having so much fun at those rides. Good work, getting to this stage.

TRUDY, this week's weather so far is encouraging isn't it? We're getting pretty much the same. Going to be a cold snap again but, hey, it's only February.

ELLEN, are you getting the seado and the scooter all shined up yet?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 am

Not yet, Nancy. The jetski is still encased in shrink wrap, and the scooter is in the garage which is still blocked by a pile of snow. I wish......
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 1:01 am

RICK:
 Put "Cat" in place of Dog and that is our sleeping arrangement, too.  Kumquat, a 10 pound cat, takes up most of the bed.  Very Happy 

NANCY LEE:
 Hey!  Good to see you!  How are you doing and what are you doing?  

ELLEN:
 I saw a quote recently that said "Say what you want about the South, but no one retires and goes North"   Laughing   Too much winter!  I hope you are getting our warm weather, it was so nice today.  The snow is only left in shady spots.  We even managed to get out of our driveway with the horse trailer, so the driveway is finally drying up, too.

Today Areion loaded onto the trailer and went on her first 'walkabout'.  We took her and Ivan to the New River Trail and went about 5 miles, the same trail section that I took Ivan by himself on his solo ride.   Ivan did really good.  He was a responsible and respectable acting horse, giving Areion a good example.  Lori walked most of the way, first to make sure Areion wasn't going to freak out while out in the real world, then just when she was going to get on, Areion stepped on her reins and broke both bit holders off, so nothing to attach reins to.  I found some cable ties in my little fanny pack and we managed to get the bit back onto the bridle and Lori rode Areion on her first trail ride!  We even trotted a little while.  Areion only spooked at a dog, who fortunately was on a leash, but recovered pretty quickly.  She did really well!  Next time Lori will probably ride the entire way.  It was a successful outing!  cheers  It was dark when we got home, but both horses were happy and in good shape!

February 2014 - Page 6 A6fv Before trail

February 2014 - Page 6 4rr6Lori petting Areion on New River Trail

February 2014 - Page 6 R229 Ivan's Ears looking at New River

February 2014 - Page 6 Dqv4 Crossing 800 foot Bridge across New River

February 2014 - Page 6 Gsiq Coming off end of bridge

February 2014 - Page 6 Tni6  Geese flying over New River...what Donnie watched while waiting on us to arrive at the bridge.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 11:27 am

Ark, your ride looks like a very pleasant place to be. Around here, horses would need snowshoes. It's going to be COLD all this next week. However, this morning, going to church, was the first day I was able to leave home and return without using 4 wheel drive since mid-December.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 3:01 pm

cheers what a success both your horses are doing great soon you will be on the trails like old pros. I am so happy for you the trail you rode is beautiful you have some great trails keep up the good work and enjoy the fruits of your labor and hard work
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Woohoo! Rose, it's back! Looks like Kurt Busch better be a good boy. Four teams in four years because of being a brat like his little brother. I thought it was neat that several of the drivers were carrying their little kids during driver introduction.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 23, 2014 9:29 pm

ARK, looks like a great place to ride and looks like the horses did really great.

am sorry for all of you that are arse deep in snow and cold....we have had some beautiful weather here. Yesterday was the parade, our lil group took 3rd place, (there are some pics posted under Jessi Smith Baugh if you want to go and look on facebook) HOrses and kids did great. Then we went to the rodeo and it was a good one, better than last year. Then we walked thru the fair, and all the livestock barns. There was a petting zoo with a porkypine in it? DUH? I'm still scratching my head on that one! The grand daughters stayed clear!
When we got home my own dogs were screamin from all the walking, and hubby and I both sat down with a cold glass of ice tea and said "ahhhhhhh". Today a roper came and looked at Max, took him to a roping practice and said he has natural ability to go after the cow and can back to keep the rope tight...he will come get him tomorrow. He liked him. Jessi is sad, but glad someone is getting himg to use and train. So all in all it was a good weekend.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:21 am

Hey Rose! WOOHOO!!! Jr. did it!!!
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:44 am

Congratulations, ARK! You should be proud! I am in awe, especially of that horse we all first met as "Speck." Great pics in what looks like idyllic riding country. And how I eny you all that bare ground! I laughed in agreement at ELLEN's saying that where she is, the horses would have to wear snowshoes. Here, too, in spades. I built a riding ring a few years back with just one level of boards all around, at about four feet off the ground; with two days above reezing and lots of melting, the bottoms of those boards have just become visible above the snow once again.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 12:07 pm

ARK………….love your pictures…………….I'm loving it that you're having fun.

SUNNY, are you buzzing around on your scooter?

BEECH, TRUDY, and ELLEN……spring is coming……………

Faith is eating away and just hangin out……..she's a happy soul.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Right now it has been too wet to scoot around but are making plans to over the next few weeks to go either Disney World or go see Harry Potter world at Universal Studios our weather has been up and down on temps and on and off rain just enough rain to make things wet
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 1:37 am

CB
The New River Trail is a very nice one. It is a rails to trails project and goes for 57 miles along the New River. It is about 15 miles from here. It was especially nice Saturday because there were no bikers on it and only a few hikers. That made it easier on Areion. Ivan mostly ignores bikes, but Areion has only seen one in her arena and we don't know how she will react to wild bikes. affraid 

SUNNY and TRUDY
I am posting this on my Kindle Fire and the spell check is driving me crazy. I wonder if it can be turned off?

BEECH
Four feet of snow??? I don't know how you get anything done! You are a tough lady! I hope your snow melts soon. I am a weather wimp... Rolling Eyes  'Speck' has a birthday coming up in April....so do you! Areion did better than we expected on her first trail walk/ride. She relaxed into it after awhile and seemed to enjoy herself for the most part. She sweated like mad on the trailer trip out, but not so much going home. I hope this means she won't mind trailering soon.

ELLEN and INDYAPP
I hope your snow melts soon, too. We only have shady spots of snow left, and it can go away. I can walk on top of the ground in the barn lot now, not sink in 6 inches in the mud.

GRAYMARE
Thanks! I can't resist posting pix! Unfortunately, I was using my iPod for the camera and was afraid I would drop it and have Ivan step on it, so did not get Areion being ridden. I really enjoyed walking and trotting with Areion right beside us!

Donnie bought me a snazzy pair of red and purple sneakers he saw me admiring, but they were a half size too small. So we trooped to Wal-Mart to exchange them this afternoon. I tried this pair on and discovered I hadn't quite finished changing my socks before leaving home. One was a neon pink ankle sock and the other was a fuzzy knee high rainbow colored sock. Rolling Eyes They both looked good with those red and purple sneakers.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am

Ark, with those colors your feet should glow in the dark.  Laughing 
Have you ever been to Black Dog Salvage in Roanoke? I see the show, 'Salvage Dogs' on DIY. While I'm not into antiques and old stuff it looks like it could be an interesting place to visit. The two guys who own the business are entertaining and funny.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 1:38 pm

That is so funny Ark about the socks my youngest granddaughter always wears mismatched socks every day she thinks it is cool, I guess it is a new fashion trend LOL
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 pm

well, there you have it ARK, you are our very own FASHIONISTA! LOL

Next time you can get some pics of Aerion being ridden....she sounds like she is doing rather well.
Jessi sold my lil Max...tears here....but he was hers to sell....and I know I would never crawl up on him knowing how he bucked so dang hard....so this is best for him, he needs a job, and I think he will do well in his new life as a roping horse. He leaves tomorrow.

Our weather is turning cold again...uck! Only for a day or two tho....thank goodness. We put the blankies on as the wind is blowing cold and there may be rain....and all the doggies got chicken gravy and home made rubs....they were all licking their bowls and their chops!

Just going to be home bodies and clean out closets as the weather is too yicky/cold to be outside doing much.....its just not my fave thing to do....but oh well....makes the world go round!

Sweet Dreams Y'all.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 am

CB, temp is falling off here, also…..rain coming in Fri……..it was semi cloudy today……..
went w the blah blahs for lunch……………

Sorry Max had to go but sure understand……safety is at the top.  Now he'll become a working boy………………

Big question is now:  How is Sweet Pea?

It's weed season here gang……………….the great pretenders think you can get them gone…….ha, only for awhile.   affraid   I guess that's what keeps this place held together as we've never in 30 yrs won……………about the time we swing around to being caught up, it's time to start over.  LOL  AT least we do have the tumble weeds gone, the others aren't quite so wicked.

Everyone have a good evening…………….God bless and prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 am

Graymare, Sweet Pea is doing great, growing and always eating, he's like a lil suction cup trying to get him to let go to take Mom Sassy out for a run....He pops when we get him to let go, he's got a strong sucking reflex...But sometimes he just has to let go! tongue

The other four are becoming lil devils...they love to bite my toes! Mom Curly is out with her buddies, she only does a flyby nursing at best once a day....and she is happy to make a beeline back out the door...I think she is trying to tell me, "they are all yours now, sucka"...they are cute. Just registered them with AKC registry today.

Think I'm going to have an early night, something about cleaning cupboards makes one tired! LOL

Stay warm y'all in the throes of cold and snow still.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

February 2014
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next