Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2014

Go down 
+9
sunny 57
Beech
Rick Angell
Indyapp
Ellen E
Manygatess
Graymare
cb
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

February 2014 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 am

Everybody must be waiting in the car.

Beech, did you get a new computer yet?
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 11:36 am

SUNNY
I love my Kindle Fire, too! Hope you have lots of fun with yours!

ELLEN
I love your squirrel adventures! We are squirrel fans here, too. There is a big red one living behind our barn that Donnie feeds and our barn cat, Giles, dreams about catching.

GRAYMARE
Our barn lot field is so torn up from the mud all winter with the horses galloping around in it. We need you to come here with your tractor and smooth it up. We constantly are filling in divits and will have to re-seed it.

ROSE
Good job with the pups! And for helping the guy catch the horses. Wish you could keep one! Does Robin still have Sterling?

Does anyone like the spell checker on their computer? The one on this machine is worse than just spelling something wrong...
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:36 pm

I took my computer to have some files put in the right place, and while I was out I stopped at the Aunt Millie's bread outlet. I bought four packages of stale rolls for the squirrels. 80 cents. The snow has been so deep, I don't know how they manage to find any of the treasures they buried last fall. The store has a big barrel labeled 'Animal Feed'. Fairly often I have stale or older bread that I can give them, but I was about to have to give them some of the good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 pm

ELLEN, I met with my computer wizard last Wednesday and put to him your suggestion about my using Windows 8 with him setting it up for me, but he said that he won’t touch it at all, he’s so disgusted with it, so I’ve gone along with his recommendation and ordered a Dell laptop (Inspiron 15R) with Windows 7, and, once it comes, will take it to him to have him set it up and transfer all my data

Took me a bit of time to get the order in the pipeline, first because I goofed and then because Dell did. On that last bit, I could see trouble looming on the horizon as I was marching, very carefully and in lock step, through the automated purchasing process, when the form stopped and wouldn’t let me proceed because it insisted that my address was not a recorded postal service address. True enough! And that’s because, as tiny as my town is (there are only about 1,500 of us), it has two post offices and two zip codes, but with RFD delivery possible through only one of them, regardless of where in town you live. So OK, I thought, I’ll just report the zip for where I actually live rather than the one through which my mail is actually delivered -- and that seemed to work until I got an e-mail reporting that the purchase process had been halted because of “an issue with the payment process.” Oh dear, I thought, now my debit card is telling them that I’m an imposter because the card address doesn’t match the order address. Finally straightened all that out this morning on the old-fashioned telephone in a talk with that old-fashioned thing called a real live human being. Whew.

Reminds me of a clever short story I read years ago about a man who ordered the book Kidnapped through the mail (this was before computers), but fell victim to so many screw-ups in the long ordering and mailing process that he ended up being sent to jail as a kidnapper.

SUNNY, I think you are smart to have bought the Kindle Fire! I now love my Kindle Paper White, but wish I’d spent the extra moolah for the Fire.

We got that big storm last Thursday, and it was nice to hole up inside for a day, all day. Dawn the next day revealed a good foot or more of the white.stuff, but it was light and fluffy. Still, a big job to get it all out of the way. Mercifully, this last storm largely missed us – just a couple more inches – broom stuff.. I’ll see if I can get a picture in here next time.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Beech, I worked with Windows 7 on the computer when I was working. That worked well and I didn't have any trouble adapting to it from XP. I'm glad you have a new one coming that your computer guy can help you with.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 am

Our snowless winter may be coming to an end. We have had less than 3 inches of snow all winter. We've had plenty of rain, mud, and cold, thanks. The weather guys say we may get between 5 to 10 inches of snow starting Tuesday night......sigh....I hope not. I guess I will go to the store tomorrow and stock up on something or other. Chocolate. Definitely.

No riding lesson this week. Sad 

BEECH
Congrats on the new computer! I hope it lasts as long as your last one.

Really, the newness of a new computer, or such device, should outlast the learning curve to use it. It seems they are obsolete before they are out of the box. I have a 2 year old iPod that is already considered obsolete.

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 8:44 am

Hey guys...another crazy day here on the farm. Our poor deer have been walking in our yard trying to eat any blade of grass they see on the paths we made for Ace and his potty breaks. They can't get thru the snow and ice pack to get to the grass. So since we still have some old hay left over from the horses, we took the ATV and took hay out into the field for the deer to eat. George said at 1 AM, when he looked out the window they were in the hay and in the old garden trying to find something to eat. One was almost up on the porch.

My son fell in the snow and had to go to the ER, messed up his already bad back, he called me for a ride but our garage door has decided not to open. His girlfriend took him to the ER. He is such a mommies boy, call mommy for help. LOL

Finally got the door open so we could go to the accountant and get our taxes filed. We get a small refund. WHEW...thought we were going to have to pay this year.

SUNNY: Good for you and your Kindle Fire. I have been getting better at using mine. I have been reading books, yes I have given in and started using it, since getting to the library is not an easy thing to do this winter. I have even figured out how to email with it. I HATE the auto correct, it keeps changing the words I want to use to crazy things. LOL Kev told me I can disable it somehow, but I'll wait until he visits again and let him to it for me. Having a computer hacker in the family is a good thing.

There is yet another storm lurking for Thursday, sure hope it misses us this time. Our weatherman was actually praying to God on TV this morning for the storm to stay east of us.

Stay safe everyone.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 am

Must be the season for new computers. I've been thinking about getting myself a pad. Yesterday at staff meeting I was surprised with a gift for my 10year anniversary w/the company. A new Dell pad. I can't tell you any specifics on it other than it's red because I'm at work and it's at home.  scratch  I do know that I spent an awful lot of time last night on the phone, first with my service provider because I didn't know my pass code to connect the device to my wi fi. Then with Dell because after figuring out my pass code I still couldn't connect even thought my laptop was sitting right next to me connected to to so I know it was working. scratch  My next step is to contact the company that made my router to find out if perhaps it's too old that it doesn't recognize my new device. I'm grasping at straws here. I got my laptop and router in 2004 or there abouts so of course they can communicate with each other. But might explain why not communicating with the pad. Kind of like parents and kids, don't cha think?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Congratulations, Indy! They must appreciate your service and loyalty to the company.
I'd had my original router for about 10 years, but I couldn't get videos to play without big delays as it loaded, played, then loaded again. So, last year, I did get a new router and that helped a lot. Shortly after that, Mediacom offered free new modems. The new modem replaced one that was about 7 or 8 years old. Even the old computer worked a whole lot better.
I hope you can get everything worked out so that your now tablet will work perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 am

WOW, another storm there in the SE…..hoping RICK and ROSE are O K in this…….it looks like SUNNY is getting some big rain, too.  Any others?

AZ is in paradise mode right now…………Faith is happily eating away…..ha, the blah blahs are dropping by sometime to give their vet exams and opinions on Faith's progress.  FAith & I just stand there and take it all in………………I just let them go on & on.  It takes them back down memory lane and we all talk about the good crazy times.  Meanwhile, a good time is just standing there peacefully rubbing a horse………..they all have a curry and rub away at the same time talking and talking not allowing anyone to cross the line into "their" space.  It's really very cute.  I don't know how many will really show up…..2-6

ARK, the Arab show is starting Thur…………a lot is in gear already, with all the big barns having open house, sales, and parties.  The stallion auction is the fun thing to see.

BRB
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:30 am

I am writing from my kindle. I love it, I also have wireless here at the house and can do anything that I could do with my computer but faster still learning all that I can do with it plus reading books. Hope all are staying safe and warm
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:37 am

Great going SUNNY!

ARK, here is a mare my friends just bought…………the mare is bred for a March foal, is due in here this afternoon….I can't wait to go see her tomorrow.  No Friday.  My friend does sport horse dressage so mare will be re bred to a warmblood….I don't know who yet.  I love Sheila Varian horses, they can do anything….she is dead gentle with a good solid education.  Well, so I'm told……………

Anyhow, I thought you might want to see her:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yewi7Yuf-Q0
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:40 am

Not sure why the link wouldn't take………………..
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 am

If interested go to You Tube, T Dreams Afire
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Wow! Beautiful mare!
I just did a copy/paste of the link and it worked just fine.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Almost 100PM ere and still all is dry. Schools were cancelled YESTERDAY in anticipation of today's weather...lol!! It is still in mid 20's I think and I have to go get another trailer load of firewood for the woodstove. Otherwise...all is well in this corner of Foopville!!

Love to all,

Rick/Carol/Snoop!!
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 3:58 pm

LOL!! I gotta learn to keep my yapper shut!! I got up just a couple minutes or so after my last posting and IT IS SNOWING!! ... The little "dandruff" size stuff/ With the temps as low as it is...all is laying on te gound etc. and the horses are frosted also. I did just now give them extra hay to entice them to stay inside.

I now have yet another utility trailer load of wood in the basement...enough for a week or two! My hands and fingers are numb from being cold!

Love and STAY WARM!!

Rick
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Congrats Indy! woohoo

Trudy, how is your son?

ARK, are you getting snow?

It sure looks like our Mz Rose got some from looks of it. I remember when we were in SC and an inch shut everything down/closed. They don't have much in snow removal or sand trucks at all.

Rick, are your flakes getting bigger?

I'm taking a break here, been working on Cactus or cacti...whatever the darn stuff is! Getting ready to put up my kennel building and attach their bigger runs. Sitting at my lil patio table with feet up and dogs jumping in my lap for some hugs and kisses and then off they go again....playing and chasing whatever will run! Sittin here with an ice cold diet cola enjoying the 70 degrees....ok, don't y'all try and pop me at the same time now, I can feel the breeze of those slaps going by... bounce  No  Rolling Eyes  drunken  did I say its spose to be 84 this weekend...ahhhhhhhhh.....I know soon I'll be witchin about it being tooooo hot!
!
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 11:03 pm

PRETTY PRETTY Mare Syd!!!! should be an awesome baby......
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 1:04 am

GRAYMARE:
Beautiful mare!! Is she going to stay at your place with Faith? Two foals would be so much fun to watch! They don't get much nicer than Sheila Varian arabs. Is your friend going to ride her? Not long until March.... Very Happy ....Should be a really pretty baby, as will Faith's. Have you got your camera ready? We want pix!

CB:
Yep, we have snow. NINE inches so far and it is supposed to keep snowing until 6 pm on Thursday. It is coming down hard at 11 pm. I blame RICK for this. He had to laugh at the weather and look what it got us! affraid  They had called off school yesterday, so the kids had a nice morning at home before it started snowing at about 1 pm. Donnie will stay home tomorrow and use the snowblower. It hasn't had much use, so needs the exercise.  Rolling Eyes 

Since the snow is coming up from the south, it is getting into our south-facing barn. We should have a nice mess in the morning. Our weather usually comes from the north or west and is blocked from getting into the barn. Kazi, the ponies and donkey, and the goat all have stalls in the back of the barn and will stay dry. Daisy, Ivan and Areion are in the open fronted part of the barn and will be getting snow in their area all night.

The good news is, it will be in the 50s next week!  sunny   This is going to be messy, but won't last long. I have beans in the crockpot and a stew in the fridge that I made yesterday. We also have a generator if we lose power that will run lights and the fridge, and we can heat food and water on the woodstove. We'll be okay. Very Happy 

I have been 'into' the Olympics the last two evenings. It is warmer there than it is here, and we have more snow.  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 am

Thought you might enjoy a blog written by a guy about 35 miles from here:

"William J Lewis"

"This is Meade Lewis for Freak Out Weather. Well it's here, the winter of our doom is upon us. At 3 o'clock EST the first few flakes will begin to drop on Wytheville. By 3:30 we are estimating the death toll to be in the hundreds of thousands or even in the millions. We are advising people to stay in doors and make peace with whatever god ye may. There isn't much anyone can do to stave off the impending doom of the winter storm we are now calling 'Hitler's Vengeance', but one thing that may work is to buy as much milk and bread as you can. This report is brought to you by Food Lion. Food Lion, we have milk and bread."
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 am

The snow has arrived here this morning. It's coming down pretty good. The weatherman just said 1 to 12 inches. What a guy, he has covered his butt totally. LOL 4 to 8 in our neck of the woods and the ice/sleet is supposed to stay out on the coast. We shall see what happens. At least it is 21 degrees, yesterday it was -9. The coldest day so far. Next week in the 50's. Come on next week.

I blame my neighbor Joe for this snow, he just HAD to buy a snow blower a couple of weeks ago and brag about it at church, it even has hand warmers.

CB: First just let me say.  Razz  Razz PPPHHTTTTTTTTT 70 degrees. My son, Stacy is up and walking around, he had a x-ray and then went to see our doctor who told him it was just muscle spasms but DOCTOR STACY has decided he needs back surgery. He is such a drama king and I swear he LOVES to have surgery. They moved his job interview from Monday to Weds to today, all he needs to do is get out in the snow and fall again.

Stay safe everyone who is in the path of the storm.

Love & prayers for all...

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 10:03 am

No ARK, mare isn't here……she lives at her new home, in the old mare section for now.  That is 90 min from here in Cave Creek.  She arrived looking poor…………not from travel, no hoof care, no 5, 7, 9 mo flu rhino shots, way un groomed etc.  We're just glad she's here.  Ha, owner just happens to own a big feed business.  Vet friend went over yest eve about 6P, of which I have no report.  Anyhow, mare will look like a million bucks again shortly……..friend is letting her settle in and get comfy w her new friends then bathed and groomed etc.  Shoer on Monday for trims………..No, she's not planning to ride her per se.  She bought her to breed to a warmblood as sport horse dressage is real big in Arabs (1/2 Arabs).  She does sorting and sport horse on the same horse.  The sire of this upcoming foal is National show horse (1/2 Arab, 1/2 saddlebred) so head will prob be ugly….time will tell.  I told her God might play a trick on her and put the best sport horse she's ever owned on the ground for her.  Her plan is to re breed her this year to a warmblood (up to vet) so we'll see how it all goes.  Report is she is SO nice, really well trained etc………………

That said, she can be dropped off here anytime.  LOL
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 11:56 am

Video of the mare was beautiful GRAYMARE, but from the sounds of it, she hasn't had any attention paid to her since the video was made. Must have been a shock to the new owner to expect a mare as well cared for as the one in the video and then to get what you described.

Fortunately we haven't had any more snow this week. But it sure has been cold. It's a balmy 9 degrees right now and expected to get as high as 30 today! Yesterday at this time it was -4. BRRR.

SUNNY I envy you your working Kindle. I still can't get the pad I got on Monday to connect to my wi-fi at my home although it does connect just fine here at work. Decided my router must be too old as I took a laptop home from the office last night and it won't connect to my wi-fi either. Anyone want to guess what my weekend project will be?

I don't know why anyone would want to undergo back surgery if it weren't absolutely necessary. I've learned a lot about a number of different options for treating back pain. I think from my research that back surgery doesn't work and makes it worse about as often as it helps. Those aren't good odds in my opinion.

MMM stew, sounds yummy. I've never been able to make a good stew. For some reason it always seems rather bland. Do you have a good recipe you would share ARK?
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 pm

INDY, friend was told and knew she wasn't in the same hands as when the video was filmed.
She called owner that made the video and got her history…..she got her CHEAP off an internet auction and could see her live…….now that she is HOME and seemingly well, her life has made a 360 as of yest afternoon.……..she will look like that video again.  I love these kind of stories………….There are so many mistreated horses in this world.  Anyhow, I'm excited to meet her……………….
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 pm

INDY, my back surgery so far is a way good thing…………..but, I will say, I was desperate,
out of options…………I did all the other things first.  It's a tough go and you have to make what you want it to be……..no serious effort, no go………………..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

February 2014
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next