Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

February 2014

Go down 
+9
sunny 57
Beech
Rick Angell
Indyapp
Ellen E
Manygatess
Graymare
cb
Ark
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
sunny 57

February 2014 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm

well, I tookthe plunge and orderd a kindle fire hd it will be here by next tuesday, my daughter swears by hers and says that I can do all the things that my computer can do it has 64 gb of memory and it was cheaper than a laptop, I can video chat with anyone that can, my daughter and I can keep in touch when she goes to Idaho, Jodi is going to help me set it up, I will let you know how it is
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Good deal SUNNY….let us hear how you like your Kindle…….hope it all goes well!

CB, brrrrr. Hope it warms up a bit for you. Your mama dog sounds so cute.

Busy morning here, had sev things to go to the P O…..oh, how I hate the P O, but I'm just old fashioned.

Then this afternoon friend called……..her mare lame……….so, we ended up hosing it down, wrapping it, buting her, and in for stall rest. If no better, off to the vet on Mon morning, or sooner if nec.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

We really have been fortunate about the snow here. It is spitting some right now, but basically we haven't had enough to sneeze at all winter. Now the cold is a different story.... I think a lot of that snow is hitting the mountain chains to the west of us and scooting on north east of us instead of hitting us much. I hope it keeps that up until spring. We've gotten plenty of rain, though. You'll hear me complain when the snow finally catches up with us.
My sister in N.Ky says she has 6 inches of ice on her driveway. affraid We have about six inches of mud, but I'll take that over ice.

BEECH:
How deep is it now? Got milk and bread?  Very Happy  As long as I have catfood, I am in good shape. Those cats get irate when their dindin isn't just to their specs.

It's DIEt Day today (every Monday and Weds), and even catfood sounds almost edible right now. My 500 calories don't last as long as you'd think they would.  Rolling Eyes  The diet is working, though, and I can eat normally 5 days out of seven. I have lost 18 pounds since starting this "Fast" diet back last April. It is slow, but it is getting the job done. Ivan appreciates it, too!  Laughing  After reaching my goal, I only have to do the diet one day a week to maintain it. I live for that time!  popcorn 

Lesson day tomorrow. It is supposed to be mid-30s with no rain. It was so nice Monday, wish the lesson was then! If I wait for perfect weather, I'd get no lessons at all this winter.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 am

I was son craigslist and someone has brought a load of hay in, you have to buy 384 bales at 20 dollars a bale....and Dallas had it for sale for 22 dollars a bale....these are small bales, about 65-70 pounds.....everyone needs rain/snow to make the hay stay at reasonable prices....its a two way hate/love thing....
I'll feed the grass hay, at 9 bucks a bale at the barns, or 12 at the feed stores....and supplement with alfalfa pellets and grain. I am feeding that now and everyone seems to be doing good on it.
Texas is sure different...for all the horses here and horse events, you wonder how folks can still show or keep trying to win purses at events....
We have a big show coming up soon at the arena ....an all horse parade on the 22nd for the big rodeo. I hope to go watch some preliminaries that will start soon and are free.

Sweet Dreams y'all.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 3:44 am

OUR HEROFebruary 2014 - Page 2 1796417_10151877079992027_957621909_n
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 3:51 pm

I've lost track of how much snow we officially have. Our parking lot here at the office can hold in July about 20 cars comfortably maybe 25. Today we're doing good to get the 7 employee cars in and still have room for a couple of client cars to get in and out. The rest of the lot is taken up with giant piles of snow. I have no idea how the dumpster is ever going to be emptied. I was thinking about how much snow we've had this morning when I was pulling the sled with the horses' hay on it out the barn door. The barn lot has to have a good 8 inches of hard packed snow base that the horses are walking on. Not to mention the 3-4 inches of snow that isn't packed that they trudge through. I am so ready for Spring.

Good news though. I found someone who thinks they can rebuild my snowblower carburetor tomorrow if I can bring it in to him first thing in the morning. So my project tonight is taking the darn thing off. I did watch a YouTube video last night that walks you through replacing one. I figured if it was easy enough to replace I'd just buy a new one and put it on. I'm not confident enough in my mechanical skills to rebuild one myself, but I figured I could probably take an old one off and put on a new one. After watching the video I figured I could do that so I started on tracking down the part number of the existing one. Which led to my phone call to the place that said they could probably rebuild it for me much cheaper than a new one, if I could take the old one off and bring it in. Maybe that test I took back in high school that tested for aptitude for careers in the military had some merit afterall. It said my skill set was for being a helicopter repair person. ROFL  I still remember that. (The only reason I took the test was because it was being held the same period as my algebra class and I didn't want to take the quiz that was scheduled for that day.) Razz 
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Indy, we got 13 inches by the end of yesterday. That's on top of the 7 inches from January 2nd, and the 13 inches on January 6th and 7th, and then a couple of inches here and there between then and Tuesday. Some of it had sort of settled, and we had one day of melting. But we sure have a lot of snow on the ground.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Hey, watching the news here………….is our TRUDY in that horrible part of the snow storm that is without power in Pennsylvania?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:02 pm

I'm not sure, but I thought she was nearer Pittsburgh that Philadelphia.  I hope she'll check in in the morning and let us know.

Last edited by Ellen E on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:14 pm

February 2014 - Page 2 408725138
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am

ELLEN:
That is pretty, and pretty depressing! Wow. I am being thankful for mud right now....

INDYAPP:
Helicopter repair person? Now that sounds exciting! How did you miss out on that?  Laughing  I kind of wish I had taken that test, it would have been interesting. I think I would have been a wheelbarrow repair person... Very Happy 

TRUDY, TRUDY, TRUDY!
Tell us you are warm and safe! Are you joining the lynch mob to get that groundhog?

BEECH:
Did you get all this snow, too? (I am being thankful for mud again....)

I had a very nice lesson with Ivan today, it was mid-30s and a bit windy, but I am not complaining about our weather until it melts up north of here. Ivan and I repeated last week's lesson, but did it right this week! We backed thru the "L" one step at a time, very slowly, and moved his hiney over when he got too close to the rails with just a little nudge. Ivan loves these kinds of lessons. He gets treats for one step at a time. He did really well. We also trotted and worked on speed control. It was fun. Areion's lesson went well today, too. She got ridden for the first time in three weeks and didn't pull any tricks. Lori changed her lunging method a bit and it seems to have worked. Areion has some kind of weird issue with lunging on occasion. She sort of goes ballistic now and then, but didn't today. Areion doesn't get treats for her work, Lori isn't big into them, so Areion only gets a treat at the end of her lesson. She deserved one today.  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:27 am

Have you folks seen this?

https://youtu.be/9WoM2bHfr48 alien 

And where is my avatar? It seems to have disappeared.... Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 am

Trudy isn't near phili or pittsburg....she is in the Danville area if you look on your map of PA, kind of North eastern PA ....talked to hubbys' sister tonight and she lives about 30 miles away from Trudy in Bloomsburg and she said they got about 5 inches so far....but their power is fine at least for now. My sister lives outside of Danville also. old stompin grounds for me! lol

we had a skiff of snow this morning when we woke up....geesh....with wind chill this morning doing chores it was 2 degrees....whats goin on here! BRRRRRR!

I hope y'all stay safe and stay warm until these storms turn to spring! How about tomorrow, I'm ready!

Sweet Dreams Everyone!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 8:44 am

Sorry I haven't checked in, been a little busy with the snow. We had about 3" then we got about 6 more. Then we got ICE and single digits but never lost power. Just been so busy blowing and shoveling snow and making paths for Ace. UUGGHHHH We have a generator so if the power goes out we are covered.

Ace of course, just can't find his favorite potty spots and paces up and down the paths, trying to locate his perfect spot. LOL The barn cats were really funny. The snow was deeper than their legs, they were disappearing in the snow and leaping up in the air like flying squirrels. All I could see was their tails sticking out of the snow piles, then a cat would launch itself out of the snow. Yesterday they were able to sit on the ice pack and were ice skating. LOL

Our neighbors truck broke down in the middle of their driveway when he was plowing snow, the neighbors who are older and live behind them couldn't get out of their driveway, so George fired up the ATV and took their newspapers and mail up to them. Donna said to me "I just told my daughter than we could die up here and no one would even know we were gone for days." YIKES...gotta check on them more often.

CB is right, she knows where we live in central PA, in the Susquehanna Valley but we are from Pittsburgh originally. Don't forget the H on Pittsburgh, that is very important. LOL LOL

Today I'm off to Wegman's up in Williamsport on a shopping trip. Wish me luck, the stores are crazy this time of year and they are predicting another storm on Sunday and next week. WINTER PHHTTTTTTTTT

Stay safe everyone.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am

Trudy, I'm glad everything is okay with you. I went back and added the 'h' in my post.  Very Happy 
I've thought about getting a generator. This house is small enough, I don't think I'd need a really big one. Pump, furnace, refrigerator, computer, and TV. I'd really like to have one of those that automatically kicks on when the power goes off, but those are pretty expensive.

This morning it is -6 with the day's high to be +9. yippee skippee This has been a very long, very cold winter and it isn't over.

However, I am getting some things done here in the house - closet cleaning, cabinet cleaning, filing up to date........ So, all is not lost, I guess.

Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 1:12 pm

WOW!!! this has been one heck of a winter so far and it is only half gone, I am so sorry for all of you that are dealing with all the snow and ice and freezing temps, and will start praying for spring to get here soon everyone please stay warm and safe
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Those H's are funny, Harrisburg doesn't have one and Pittsburgh does! Go figure....Glad you guys are alright up there Trudy! We have a generator too and we have never had it out of the box to see if it even works!

Our snow is gone now but the cold remains....it is lingering....but tomorrow spose to be back up to 70....up down up down....

Ellen, I could be doing that too, but ya know what, I'm not! I'm kicked back and staying warm! watching tv!

Y'all stay warm!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Man

Ol'Man

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Penn people are nice.

Years back I was working in Wash,DC. So, one week end I drove the 70 route to Ind. It was starting to rain so picked up 3 hitch hikers up on what we call "270 split". Yeah, two military types got in rear of my pick up and one rode shotgun in the cab.

We started west on the turnpike and bingo--. Super bad wreck where a semi overturned and driver lying down in midle of road ,we were first vehicle. Those guys took off their T shirts for pillows and stopping blood and when ambulance came gave professional
chatter to the litter cariers. ." trans port face down, he has broken hip --" and vital sign numbers.

Turned out my fears of strange people was naught ----they were sailers on leave from an aircraft carrier and worked on the deck getting pilots out of burning planes. They got out at a truck stop and said they were 30 miles close to the Penn homes. Manygates there are real good people up where you live.
Back to top Go down
Rose

Rose

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 12:46 am

Very Happy Puppies will go to a Rescue in Maine and will start their transport on the 22nd!  They still need to get their Bordetella (sp) shots tomorrow and another puppy DHLP next week.  I really, really, don't like giving all these shots to the little adorable babies, but Rescue's generally require them and the fact they will be safe is worth everything.  Hopefully Bobby (vet assigned puppy foster)will get a Rescue soon, he's already neutered and has all his shots, wormed and started on heartworms prevention.  He looks like a cur/sharpie cross, but heaven only knows, smart as can be.  Never a dull moment in my life.  Driving home from my petsitting job yesterday, two geldings racking along quite briskly in middle of road, pickup backing down the road behind them, immediately turned on my hazard lights and turned around so I could help corral the "runaways".  Myself and pickup driver got them back into pasture.  Older fellow, my age at least, named J.R. (yeah, very coincidental as that's my son's name).  He thanked me then offered me to ride the 15hh walking horse any time I wanted and could possibly purchase for very little!  Why couldn't this happen when I was still working and could afford board!  Darn, a sweet and kind racking gelding Rolling Eyes Ah well, everything happens for a reason and the horses are safe and I'm grateful!
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for worrying about me guys. I really appreciate it.

OL'DMAN: Thanks for saying us PA people are nice. I have to say, yes we can be very helpful to strangers, although there are thugs among us in the larger cities. Us Burg people have been raised to be friendly & helpful to everyone we meet. But as the old song "don't put your hands on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan." LOL

ELLEN: We have a small generator (6250 watts), but have it wired into the house, so all we have to do is throw a switch and we can run a few things. Furnace, well, septic pump, fridge and freezers. Just enough to keep us comfy. My only advice is get an electric start, ours is the pull start and it can be a bugger. I can't start it, it takes a mans strength to get her fired up. I don't think we have had to use it over 5 or 6 times as long as we have had it, we bought it in 2005.

RICK: Yup, I stole that groundhog/wolf picture. LOVE IT...so do my PA friends.

We still have snow & ice and Ace is still doing his march around the paths that George has made for him, he just can't find the perfect bathroom spot without checking out each path. Poor doggie, this is not the snow he loves, no laying snowball with the layer of ice on top of the snow. I won't let him run and play on the ice, I have horrible memories of when Lucky fell thru the ice and I had to carry, drag and push a 150 pound dog up the hill to the house in the snow storm. Of cousre, I had some devine intervention on that one. Then get the kids to come out in the ice storm and take him to vet when he could not use his hind legs. What a nightmare...I'm extra careful with Ace.

Have a great weekend everyone. Stay safe and get ready for the next big snow event.

Love & prayers for all...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 pm

This morning, I tossed out some cheese crackers for the squirrels. One of them had been eating and finally decided he'd had enough. So, he grabbed one more cracker, carried it to his favorite corner of the deck, and buried it in the snow. He dug the hole, put in the cracker, pulled snow over it and patted it down, while looking all around as if to say, there's nothing to see here.
I wonder how long it will take him to find it again, or for one of the other squirrels to find it.
Neighbors' cat came to visit this morning. He's currently sitting on the armrest of the sofa staring at the squirrels wondering how he can get to them. He's so domesticated I doubt he would know what to do with one if he did catch it.

Uh-oh. Another squirrel came along and found the buried cracker.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi gang,

Boy, ROSE, so happy you found a rescue for the pups…………Bob sounds like a fun dog. Curs are really smart. Your horse story was cute. I'm sure J R was glad for some help.
It must have been a big surprise to be driving along and seeing two gaited horses
buzzing along in the road. It was really nice that you could help.

TRUDY, I don't blame you for being fearful of Ace on the ice. Ha, tell him the groundhog has said 6 more weeks on his special paths are left. Maybe by next year the hog will have better news. It's sure been a bad winter this year for those in winter climates.

I've been doing pasture repair……..fixing irrigation berms, grading high spots and smoothing low spots…………well, my version is that I'm repairing. It prob takes me a couple of swipes more than an excavator, but it all works. Second Hand Rose has been a great tractor for me and, for an old lady, I'm having way too much fun. My next project is I ordered yard strong material to replace the material in our years chairs. It took a bit of figuring to take them apart. Now that I have that part, I can start to cut my patterns…..I'm making a cardboard pattern to place on the material, then cut and then sew………………the real trick is to put it all back together. You might hear the frustrated grunts clear where you live. I'm one of those that loves to fix things up…..way more fun at the finish. Stay tuned.

Everyone have a good day. God bless, prayers for all.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 2:09 pm

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather mellows out for all we are having rain, wind,
my kindle arrived yesterday and have been playing with it since, it is sooooo easy to use it has a step by step tutorial that shows every thing easily understandable, I already have my favorite games for free and a couple of books, but I can also watch movies, tv shows I missed, e-mail my friends and have skype to talk face to face, I am waiting on the face to face tech support, that mailed seperate I can also attach it to our tv and watch movies, as soon as I can I am putting this site on my kindle and the other site I belong to then I can retire my computer it is so outdated that I can't update it any more, it is just a basic computer so it has done a great job for me, I am a happy camper it was well worth the investment and I am paying payments which made it even easier to afford, it has 64gb of internal memory and unlimited use of the cloud for storage it cost me total of 290 dollars, with shipping, sales tax that is less than I payed for my home computer and does so much more,
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Sunny, those Kindle tablets are really nice. I have a two-year old Kindle Fire. It's what I take with me when I go visit my cousins. It doesn't do all that yours does, but I do enjoy it. You're going to have a great time with yours.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 2:01 am

February 2014 - Page 2 1797428_442484095880309_1706695501_n
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 10:13 am

Everybody must be waiting in the car.

Beech, did you get a new computer yet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: February 2014   February 2014 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

February 2014
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next