Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

April 2014

Go down 
+8
Ann/Sam
Carol W
sunny 57
Manygatess
cb
Ellen E
Graymare
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

April  2014 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 11:47 am

Trudy, are you close to Murrysville?
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 am

Graymare, he has grown sooo fast! He looks huge, and strong. Love the pictures!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:13 pm

BEECH:
Ouch x 100!  affraid  I am really sorry about your toothy problem. And having to get new partials.....$$$$$. We've been fighting the partial problem with my sister, Annie, since she moved north. This winter she has had dental implants done and it is almost time for her new teeth to be installed. She can't wait. I sure hope they work out, she saved every dime for it and will owe for another year to have it done. She never could get her partials adjusted properly and they caused her a great deal of pain. I hope your procedures comes with lots of happy gas or something similar!

GRAYMARE:
Am I all packed up? No. It is amazing the logistics required to go on a three day camping trip.  Rolling Eyes  Lori has a tent for us, Ivan has a stall, and we still need to move an entire household's worth of stuff. We've never been campers, I suspect we will learn a lot this week.
Eli looks great!  wavy  He isn't wasting time growing up, he is growing fast! Soooo cute! I bet he is a neighborhood attraction right now.  Very Happy  Happy haltering! And look at your green trees in the background! Ours are just starting a little bit. We are having a very late spring.

ELLEN:
Did your lake ice go away? I heard they are having to use ice busting ships to make shipping lanes on the Great Lakes, the ice is 2 to 3 feet deep. Wow.

TRUDY:
Heard the news about the latest school incident. Sheesh.  No 

CAROL:
When are you going back home? What are you and Midge up to lately? Is Jeff going to come down and drive you back north?

INDYAPP:
Got any bare ground yet? How is Tiberius these days? Another one of our babies grown up...

SUNNY:
Your little dog sounds very cute! My sister has a dachshund, but I think he is probably a bit bigger than what I think you and CB have.

CB:
Hey, you posted! Any way you can is good!  Very Happy  What are you and Harry up to?

Well, I am goofing off when I should be cleaning or cooking or acquiring something for the trip. I think I am going to be exhausted before I get there. Cleaning anything but the barn is not my favorite....My fridge needs cleaning.... Rolling Eyes 

Donnie has set me up with a GPS tracker of sorts to put on Ivan. I have nightmares about parting ways with him out in the middle of nowhere. This tracker runs on the Amateur radio frequencies, not the usual ones that most folks have. It should be able to keep track of Ivan for at least a 20 mile radius. One of the hay guys that delivered here last weekend told me about how his uncle had lost a horse in the NC mountains and they never found it. Something spooked it and that was the last they saw of the horse. They did find its tack that had come off somehow, in tatters. They searched for days. I could not stand that idea.... Ivan is a pill sometimes, but he is my beloved pill.  Laughing 

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Ark, the ice left last Tuesday. Early Tuesday morning, the whole lake was covered with solid ice. A couple of big cracks had opened a bit on Monday. When the wind on Tuesday came up strong, it broke up the ice and by the end of the day it was all gone except for a small patch in front of my place and two more lots. By Wednesday evening, it was all gone. I've never seen it all go so quickly.

On this camping trip you will discover that you have taken along a LOT of things you don't need, and probably forgotten a few things you do need.  Very Happy  But, as you do this more often, you'll get more efficient with packing. Just remember to have fun. That's why you're doing this.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 pm

ELLEN:
Oh, yeah. Fun. I have got to remember to pack that! Laughing  I am sure it will be more fun once we are down there and I can concentrate on the event itself.

I just got back from WalMart where I was in blue jeans search. I haven't bought any since I lost 20 pounds and nothing I have fits anymore except those that are falling apart at the seams. I wear those to death. I hate buying jeans. Used to I'd get them in the men's department and just go by waist and length sizes. That doesn't seem to work anymore, and the cut that is sold there is just so darn ugly. I actually bought skinny 'misses' jeans today in size 12! I suspect the sizes aren't what they used to be, but it did surprise me that 14s were falling down around my ankles. So now there are 2 pairs of jeans in the washer to hopefully do any shrinking and fading of dye that they'll do before I actually wear them anywhere.

Another thing off my list of things to do.....check.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Yes Ark, our dogs are miniature, although my Annie looks like a sausage, as wide as she is long, although she does have a pretty short back for a dachshund, that is the only thing that saves her from having back problems
You will get the hang of camping as you go along my advice is to have a bag packed with the stuff you need for camping that way all you have to add is food and clothes, that is what I used to do I kept lanterns,cooking utensils, portable cooking stove, and things like that loaded in the horse trailer in the tack compartment have a great time and enjoy you are ready
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 am

No guys, we don't live close to Murrysville. It's about 200 miles from here back around Pittsburgh, What a nightmare for the parents and the kids. So much violence. I blame those darn video games the kids play, they just seem to think life is a game and can do the crazy things they see on the games. Very sad. I worry about my grand kids who do live back around Pittsburgh.

We are finally getting some sunshine and nicer weather. Our little veggies plants have perked up in the last couple of days with the sunshine out in the sunroom/green house (as we call it). It's going to be a late garden season this year, the garden is so wet we can't even get into it to turn the soil or fertilize. The deer were in there the other night trying to eat the rye grass. Our grass is starting to turn green instead of brown.

The other day after I fed the barn cats, I heard a cat crying. I though it had somehow gotten into the hayloft when the guys were putting stuff up there. I searched the hayloft, NO cat, but I could hear it crying. Went to the house and got Ace, said "find the cat", he showed me right where it was. In a old piece of corrugated pipe that used to be attached to the down spouts, half buried under ground. How the heck did it get in there? Had to get George (the guy who says he hates those darn barn cats). LOL He had to cut the pipe and pull it outta the ground so the kitty could escape. I bet it never climbs back in there.

BEECH: Happy belated birthday. OUCH on your teeth problems. Having teeth pulled is no fun at all. Praying it goes well for you.

GRAYMARE: What a hunk that colt is. He is going to turn into a handsome horse. He sure has a nice QH hindquarters on him already. I love watching the babies grow on Foopville. You guys do such a great job with the foals, can't believe Eli is wearing a halter already. Good job...

ARK: Have fun and enjoy the big ride. You & Ivan will be fine, he is doing so well lately. Just relax and enjoy the ride. We will be cheering you on from Foopville. Can't wait to hear the news after the ride. I HATE buying jeans, I always buy men's jean too, they seem to fit better than the woman's Levi's are my favorites.

Have a great day everyone.

Love & prayers for all..

Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:18 pm

PS One of the kids that was stabbed has the same name of one of our grand kids. Brandon Brown.
That started Heather getting a lot of phone calls from people who don't know where Brandon goes to school..we knew it was not our Brandon. Thank God...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

TRUDY:
I hope Brandon Brown and all the others recover from this trauma. Poor kids. What will it take to stop stuff like this without wrapping everyone in bubble wrap and keeping them in a cage?

SUNNY:
Still not packed, but working on it. Gotta wash the horse, he won't like that much. Things are gathering in my livingroom, want to guess what that looks like?  Laughing  Lori has our trailer, she will bring Tonto here in the morning, we'll load up and head south. It is supposed to be a nice weekend around 80 degrees, almost Florida weather! Ivan will probably get a bit hot, he hasn't shed out completely yet.

I hope this trip works out. If we all like what we see, we'll probably do more. If there are big problems, maybe not. A lot rides on this weekend.....besides me on Ivan..... Cool 

Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Good Luck Ark .... hope there is a huge smile on your face all day ......... remember in a few days this will be memories...

Geoff put up one of those funny pictures. this one of a horse in the water all four feet about three feet off the ground ...... we have been laughing at the memories that one picture is giving us....

ENJOY the ride!!!!

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Ark, please do remember that you are doing this because it's fun. There is no other reason to do all that work and preparation. This is the FUN part. If you think in terms of fun, so will Ivan.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 pm

ARK, control what you can control and just "ride through" the rest……you can do it!  You'll have a great time.

BEECH, have you had to go to the dentist yet?  Wondering how you are.

CB, oh man, hot here this afternoon…..of course, it gets worse……how're things in TX?

Eli is veeeel smaaht…….he so gets it.  It's so easy and fun at his age………….I'm in the crazy category for having a super blessed time.

The kids start back in the last quarter next week for their lessons, then the horses leave in mid May for the mtns……..it's hot at 6P so I will be in charge of lemonade and somersaults……………
they don't really do much……………..by the time they groom and saddle, do their "warm ups" (which are a RIOT), time to wind down, unsaddle and groom…………..we have 6 mini's and 6 mini players this time!  Can't wait as this will be GOOD.

God bless.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 7:56 am

Brother, almost 3 A and lots of sirens and more sirens……..I can't see anything so wonder if its fire or ambulance……obviously not going to get dressed and go see but it has to be within 1/2 mi……….

O K, so here I am…..turned on world news……….huge NO NO, way crazy.  Hmmmmm, which infomercial?  Seriously?  HD night vision glasses are so great they allow you to take control of your life….2 pr for $10.  I don't think so.  Changed the channel and got 125 Sexy Bodies.  No, don't think so.  I can try Krill Omega 3 for free.  Is Krill or fish oil better?  I can get better and better with Krill. Naw, don't think so.  Oh here is the number 1…….I'm in for SUCH a surprise.  The Nu Wave makes meals easier and healthier in no time.  I don't cook much so I'll move on.  No piles of pots or pans tho……..Amazing, just amazing.  The Nu Wave straight from heaven cooking oven.  Moving on I know my now insomnia will be cured if I buy the 30 day risk free Total Gym.  I wonder how I would really look if I bought one.  Let me think on that one.  OH, here it is, the one for me.  The Shark Rocket, so incredible it is the true upright vacuum of the future.  I can't believe how dirty my carpeting is without it.  Scary.  No, I need the lightweight WorxAir light weight hand vac, blower clean everything with no effort.  Three payments of $33.33 and it's mine.  Now here is the one for me.  I can get New Proactive acne treatment reduced price from $64 to $39.95……Ive got to have my  head examined for passing that bargain up because it includes the perfect skin handbook. I do realize it would make me radiant.  Uh oh.  Guess what.  I have turkey neck, all of us aging women have it.  I'm guessing I need dermatalogical care immediately.  I better head off to E R now.  Oh, I get it.  The answer is topicals.  I don't even have to age if I don't want to.  Sub D is the answer ladies.  If that Sub D is the answer, why do I need a Derma Wand?  I can try it for 30 days and 16 yrs later I will still look radio frequency perfect.  Only Derma Wand has contoured non surgical face lift……..order today not even $3500, only 4 payments of $39.95.  If I call right now it's only 3 payments……………I'm dreaming of how beautiful I can be.  Now I can make my nails movie star perfect with Haute Polish, dries instantly, chip free and lasts 14 days, yep perfect gel nails.  Package is complete with pocket remover packets.  Free trial for $14.95.  they say its a bargain and I have to do it.  Here it is folks…….the TUMMY TUCK belt………burns tummy fat 2 X faster, 2 payments $19.95.  What I really need is the Nutribullet, or should I get the T Fal Optigrill?     ……until I saw all these ads I didn't know I am deprived.  Now I know I am, as the gem & jewelry stones are disappearing like mad so I have to hurry.  $150 offered and sold……HEY, red tag turn table, lots of opportunity…..going for the lowest price and never never never ever will be duplicated.  I need to wake TL to hurry and see these bargains.

Dear Lord, are we really the dumbest society in the world?  I had no idea how bad and many infomercials exist, it's endless.  I really do live in a barn.  Even more astounding, people obviously do this.  O K, the red tag table bargains are gone, so I'm going to read my book until I go back to sleep.  Praying I don't now have nightmares.  Bye. Sirens are long gone.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 8:56 am

Oh my gosh, Graymare! Laughing   lol! ROFL   Next time, just drink some warm milk.  Sleep 
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Sirens were a garden shed fire right near here…no people, dogs, cats, houses involved. Whew.

LOL, done and over with……………..
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 1:13 pm

That's good news, Graymare.

It's a still quiet morning, foggy at first. The coots, loons, and geese were out making miniature wakes as they swim by.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 am

ROSE, if you check in here.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Rose, hope you have a great day and as C.B says there are no calories in your cake and ice cream today happy birthday Rose
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi all……………….

ROSE, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you get this message. We miss you……….drop by and tell us how you are…………..

You're prob running all over going to Noah's horse shows………...
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 10:16 pm

I keep checking in to see what Ark has to say about her weekend. Hurry up, Ark.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:11 am

GRAYMARE:
I am beginning to wonder if we should restrict your late night t.v., LOL.

ROSE:
Happy, happy, happy BIRTHDAY! I hope you have had a wonderful day! I would post this in color, but for whatever reason, this website isn't letting me use the bells and whistles....Anyone else having problems?

I'm home, ELLEN! I had a FABULOUS FUN FRENETIC weekend!! Ivan and I lived to tell the tale, we not only finished the 25 mile endurance ride, we did it with 4 entire minutes to spare! I rode with a very nice lady who has done several endurance rides and knew how to get me to the end before I totally died. I was only nearly dead when we got in. Ivan was a ball of fire who seemed to love doing this job. He flew down that trail and seems to be okay. He isn't sore or got any problems beyond a desire to never stay in a stall again. He hated that part. I rode faster, harder and further than I have in my entire life. If it hadn't been for that lady I rode with (whose name was Ellen, coincidentally), I would have been very much over time. The last five miles were fairly painful.
At the end of the first 15 mile loop, I got off Ivan and walked him the last few hundred yards so he would pulse down. At the end of the 25 mile ride, I was afraid to get off of Ivan to walk him in for fear I wouldn't be able to make it the last few hundred yards on my own feet. I slid off of him at the finish line, handed him to Donnie and Lori, and collapsed in a heap for a little while. They got his pulse rate down to normal in about 10 minutes and we had the vet check him. We got our completion! I felt better a couple of hours later, but am extremely sore today. I look like Tim Conway in his little old man act, barely creeping along, LOL.

I always felt like Ivan could do this sort of thing if I could stay on him and keep some measure of control. I am so impressed with how strong he is, we really didn't have enough practice rides to get him in condition this winter and he looked better than most of the competitors at the end of the ride. He got all "A's" on the vet check with the exception of being a little dehydrated. No doubt, I was extremely dehydrated. It was 81 degrees! The vet said he looked very good. Ivan needs to lose some fat and winter hair, but he did fantastic anyway. He never spooked at anything during the ride, was happiest going at a fast canter, and plowed thru some really deep sand on occasion with no problems. It wasn't very hilly, but there was once hill that went up fairly steeply with a narrow, deeply sandy path, zigzagging between trees right on the edge of the path. Ivan took one look and just flew up that hill without touching a tree. We barreled up that trail. It was the only time I heard him huff and puff a little when we got to the top. He seemed to enjoy the challenge of it.

We almost got the 'turtle award'. We were one minute ahead of the last person to come into the ride on time. There were four or five who either were late, or didn't complete the ride out of 53 competitors in the 25 mile ride. We had catered dinners Friday and Saturday that were really tasty and mostly ate cold stuff for breakfast and lunch at the campsite. We camped in Lori's tent. She brought her mustang, Tonto, and rode around some of the trails when she wasn't helping me out. Donnie and Lori were a great ground crew!

Ivan's only problem was how much he hates being in a stall. He was fairly good compared to the last stall time he had, but when horses started leaving this morning, he got really upset. He paced and carried on like his last friend was leaving him, despite Tonto being in the stall next to him. I am going to have to start keeping him in a stall at home now and then and get him used to it.

Today is our 40th Anniversary. The ride photographer gave us a portrait photo as a gift! That was really nice. The entire experience was great. If I can get in shape, I might even get to the point that I can move the next day, LOL.

I will have to post photos after this website decides to let me do it.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 9:28 am

Congratulations ARK! Sounds like you had a great time. Your first endurance ride sounds alot like my one and only competitive trail ride. I rode Smokey, the one who is now a Park Police horse in DC, and he behaved exactly the same way. And I think I felt exactly the same as you described yourself. I think I would have liked to pursue competitive trail riding if there were any even remotely close, which there aren't. My suggestion to you to get Ivan more tolerant of being in a stall, is haul him places just to make him stand in stalls and get use to it. Can you haul him to Lori's for a day? Then to a local show? Maybe the fairgrounds. You don't have to do anything at whereever you go, like show. Just fuss with him in the stall, leave him, take him out for a walk around the grounds, put him back in, leave him for a little while, rinse and repeat. He needs to figure out that it's ok to be someplace other than home, and the only way to do that is experience. Some horses learn faster than others.

My weekend consisted of either tearing down fence and pulling posts, or putting new posts in. I almost have the area ready where my new garage is going to be built. (This is where I was tearing down fence and pulling posts.) And I replaced the corner post to the horse pasture that somehow was broken during one of the many snow storms this past winter. Haven't been able to have the horses in that field since and I really need to let them have access to it so I can shut them off the big field so the grass has a chance to grow there. Now that the post is set, and all the broken insulators replaced, I have to restring the wire and make sure it is hot. This past winter was really hard on my fences.

Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 10:30 am

HOORAY, ARK!!! Way to go!!! It sounds like you've found Ivan's calling in life.
And, CONGRATULATIONS on 40 years. In today's world that is a huge accomplishment.
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 1:22 pm

wavy wavy way to go Ark and Ivan I knew you had it in you and between you and Laurie I knew Ivan was going to do great now you both just need more rides and you will be set,
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 1:27 pm

I almost forgot, HAPPY 40th anniversary, hope you do something romantic and it is so great that the two of you have been together 40years not very common theese days
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 2:01 pm

HA! HONEYMOONERS!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 2014   April  2014 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

April 2014
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next