Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2014

Go down 
+8
tuffwheelr
sunny 57
Beech
cb
Ellen E
Graymare
Rick Angell
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

October 2014 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Ark, where are you? We have not seen you since Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 10:43 pm

www.picturetrail.com still works, I think…………...
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 10:58 pm

ELLEN
 I'm here!   Been busy!  (And I thought it was funny Laughing .)

I did have a nice lesson on Ivan today.  I can trot on him again without my rib screaming.   After several weeks of no trotting, I can sure tell I need to do a lot more of it.  Lori rode Areion, who did well today.  She seems to throw  a little hissy fit during most lessons lately, but it was a little one today.  I won't be riding her until my riding vest comes in.  That extra six inches of height sure made for a hard fall.  
If the weather cooperates, we are taking Ivan and Areion to the New River Trail next Wednesday.  We haven't had Areion off property since May, I think. She sure looked good today when Lori was cantering her around the arena!

It rained all day yesterday.  I had fun getting things cleaned up in the barn.  Today I spent a fair amount of time relocating earth worms that got washed into the arena from the heavy rain.  I hate seeing them dry up in the sun.  Donnie and I are long time earth worm rescuers... Smile ..It grossed Lori out hysterical .  I had handfuls of worms.  Earth worms are our friends! Cool

CB
 Pulling up fence you recently installed can't be much fun.  Putting it in the first time isn't any fun either!  I hope you get all settled before winter.

BEECH
 I have so many photos on ImageShack that I just gave up and subscribed.  Send me your photo and I will post it for you.  All the avatars and logo pix for this forum  and the old Foopville forum are on it, plus everything personal that I post, so changing to another service was going to be a huge pain.  

Our new bow window has arrived at Lowe's!  Donnie is now busy figuring out the logistics of getting a heavy, 7 foot awkward to handle window put into the wall without breaking it or hurting anyone.  He'll figure it out.....
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Beech / Ellen / ARK .... check out snapfish.com Carol uses them to "store" her thousands of photos and make the "photo prints" for her scrapbooks. See if they can do something for you.

Rick
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Ark no not fun but the price of fence posts and fencing we need to do it. the property is fenced with some cross fencing but would like to make a few smaller pasture areas...and all the animals will be there the end of this month..the camper will stay here for now.

Doctor appt tomorrow and then its back to work...on a good note, I'm losing a few pounds. lol. silver lining there I think.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 2:26 am

I keep forgetting about Picture Trail. Here's the link: http://www.picturetrail.com/members/edit?p=25

Ark, I'm glad to hear you are riding again. Can't wait to see pictures of your new window. That will really be nice.

CB, none of that sounds like a whole lot of fun to me. I hope you are very happy in your new place. I remember that you liked Missouri when you were there before. Will you start breeding puppies again?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 11:26 am

J have only 1 female doxie so if I breed her one more time, after  her litter she would b spayed for sure....
Moving isn't a lot of fun, but getting thru it is a real challenge andsome things r necessary to do to cut expenses...not ready to give up riding yet...I love winters here in texas but the summer heat is. hot here...we did like missouri beforandhad super neighbors  hope our new area is nice too...friendly...lots of new trails to ride too...guess we will find out.   Well back to grindstone.....
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 1:08 am

Thanks, all, for the photo help. Ellen, I'd forgotten all about Picture Trail but when I saw "My Album" when I got there, I realized I'd been there before. CRS!  So here (I hope) are a couple of pics taken last Sunday. They don't really do justice to the colors, though, because, outside my house that morning, the trees were pure gold . The other shot is a view from a road of one of the nearby lakes. I love it.
October 2014 - Page 2 <!--<table  border=-->" />
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 1:39 am

Hmmmm....Trying again...
[img]October 2014 - Page 2 410166858[/img]
[img]October 2014 - Page 2 410166857[/img]
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 am

Beech, I'm glad you could make it work. The second picture is frame-worthy. It's just beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Beech

Beech

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks, Ellen!  When I wrote 'I love it," I meant the scene, not the photo. I like the photo's composition but not its color or clarity. My camera is an older digital Olympus that was top of the line when I bought it to simplify newspaper work a few years back. (The paper for which I was working was a start-up and we all worked on it, initially, for no pay, so there was no money to spare for cameras. The digital, which was new technology then, was an incredible time-saver -- it meant I no longer had to drive film to the supermarket to be developed, drive back to pick it up, then drive it to the person who did the paper's layout. What a HUGE difference! Just button-pressing!) At the time, I was too busy to learn how to operate the camera, which was far more sophisticated than I needed, so I just set it on Automatic and clicked away. Just recently I've finally spent time learning about all it can do, and I'm amazed  - but I may actually have done better with it on Automatic. I've been envious of your new camera and admiring of all your shots. I'm going to stick with the old Olympus, though, partly out of poverty but a lot out of stubbornness and sentimentality. Thanks for the compliment and for triggering this ramble down memory lane.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 11:37 am

Beech, digital photography has come a long way in a short time. In case you are interested, the camera I have is a Fuji SL 1000. It has a wonderful 50X zoom, that I just love. I was just looking at Amazon and E-bay; they cost about $300, give or take a few dollars. A couple of years ago, I bought a well-used professional level DSLR Canon from a relative who is a photographer. The Canon is only 6 mega pixels, while the Fuji is 16mp, but it has a better lens for shooting indoors. It also stayed in the bag the whole time I was in Lake Placid because the Fuji is better for scenery and is quite a bit lighter weight to carry.
Should you be interested in getting one, you'll need to get a memory card, and want an extra battery. Having two batteries is really helpful. However, having said that, one battery lasted almost the whole week - taking about 400 pictures. Many of those pictures were eventually dumped - the beauty of digital.
The extreme zoom on a relatively inexpensive camera was the big selling point for me. I can reach the ducks that land out on the lake when they migrate. This past spring, I got a shot of a loon that had dived and come up with a fish in its mouth - and it was more than halfway across the lake.
With the scenery where you live, there would be reason to get a good camera. LOTS of reasons.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 11:06 pm

This is a WOW!!! video!!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Sold the 2 horse trailer today, yay. got lots o packing done, had several folks stop by and look at the property...keep ur fingers crossed for us

We got heavy rain lots of thunder and lightning and power outages thruout the night...gave up trying to watch tv and went to bed...
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Andreas Helgstrand   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 4:56 am

Videos are nice once in a while But maybe the subjects of them should be researched a bit....

Andreas Helgstrand has been proven to be one of the most abusive trainers in the dressage world. He will do anything not caring if the horse drops dead under him to get a score.

Most of his "springs" come from pain, fear and a variety of other tricks.

His abuses to horses are publicly written up internationally and enough to make any person who cares about horses gut wrench.

He has had many sponsorships yanked from under him and at one point had Denmark's equestrian team deserately trying to distance him from them. The royal family in Denmark are very active international dressage competitors.

I am not in anyway knocking anyone for posting this video, however,
when you post something that has been made public from UTUBE or other sites you are inviting comment regardless of it being positive or negative.

I do not condone any form of animal cruelty. And I surely do not applaud individuals that ride their egos at the cost of a horse's well being.
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 5:18 am

BEECH

Those are nice photos. We have an older Olympus, I would say it's around 12 years old. Have some type of zoom lens, don't ask me how powerful, far from my field of expertise. I just adjust it to where it looks right, snap the picture and scream later when somehow half of what I wanted to capture is missing. I do not get along well with any type of camera/ video equipment. It usually takes me a 64MB chip full to get maybe 6 passable photos Sad Sad

I think your pictures came out very good. You have the same door I have on my kitchen. I love the light it lets in. I have my sewing area
set up so I can work in natural light if I need to for most of the daylight hours.

I did that several years ago after reading an article on improving your eyesight in retirement. The gist of the article was some people find their eyesight improved a few years after retirement when they are no longer focusing on computers and close-up work on a daily routine basis. I think it can help to some degree. I no longer need glasses for distance to pass the MV test even reading the smaller lines. I do find though a few years has made me go to a needle threader when I sew.
a bit of a trade off.

Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: An article and video   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 6:21 am

I first heard about this last night while watching "Justice" with Judge Jeanine Pirro.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/flight-attendant-us-airways-insults-army-ranger-video/

This is just one example of how indifferent people in general have become to countless things.

Veterans Day in a month away, but that's no reason for me not to frequently wear either my tee shirt or sweat shirt throughout the year that states "If you like your freedom, thank a veteran."
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Tuff I watch a lot of videos and would probably shares ones if I ever learned how, and wouldn't even think about checking on it first if I knew how to...just someting I think that was cool and I'd want to share it....I watched the video and saw the horse jump into next part of routine pretty roughly in spots, but otherwise ii thought that horse did a wonderful performance....now I don't know anything on or about the trainer but I figure his country should inflict the punishment or he be banned from showing in US...we can only contact the sport officials and complain...but I feel we r only peons...but it may help.
If u gals want a challenge, try taking live puppy shots or lively puppy shots...oh my...it takes me many many shots to get one good one to post....lol. guess I shouldn't have such lively lil chits huh! I do admire anyone that can take such beautiful pictures.

Yall have a wonderful sunday, enjoy...
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 1:01 pm

CB

This is the same man I posted about in August. Yes, the horse "did a good job." But the man riding and training him has been noted internationally to be as cruel as someone who would toss your doxie puppies to pit bulls for fight training if you could relate to that.

Here in the US most people have tore the walking Horse/Saddlebred
industry to pieces for years for their ways of pricking and soring feet and figging their horses. What this one man has done to horses to win over the years when you read about it would make you have a very unsettled stomach.

I really hope you are able to make a go of it in Missouri. Texas tends to be even hotter than Georgia.

I don't know if it would be out of your budget, but when we moved we rented an ABF trailer for most of our equipment and big household stuff like our washer and dryer. It was pretty reasonable, they drove it
to Georgia and left it for almost a week for us to unload since Don has a pacemaker and is considered disabled. The best thing was we had the trailer to ourselves and didn't have to worry about "critters." I sprayer the trailer completely before and after to make sure :-)

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

My remberer is mediocre at best, I would have been so excited over the performance I would have shared without noting who was on top. I do have a lot of trust issues on some I know personally...and will pass my knowledge on their training to others...same principle, just seen with me own brown eyes.

We r hauling ourselves to mo and lordie I hope we leave the fire ants behind, good idea on spraying the trailers tho. the chevy pu will haul the mule and goats and some fencing in the 4 horse stock trailer and our truck camper that never comes off. hubby will stay up there for 2 weeks building pens and bring bus home while I drive the car up. he will then haul the gooseneck trailer with the dodge pu with the 3 horses and anything else he can tie on. lol we always look like the beverly hill billies on the road.

We will come back for the fifth wheel camper at a later time....we will drive dodge down to get it and I will drive the car (my kia rio which is still going strong) up....wahlah..everything moved. oh it sounds organized and simple huh!
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 3:39 pm

BEECH
Oh, good! You figured it out! Your photos are really pretty! It is definitely fall at your house. Our leaves are just now starting to turn after our only frost a week or so ago. Thanks for posting your pix!

CB
Wow. I am exhausted just reading what you have coming up in the next few weeks!! Take care out there on the road! How many miles is it to your new place?

RICK
I love that video of Blue Hors Matine', it is probably my favorite video of its type.
I have no knowledge of her trainer or rider, but watching the mare is a pleasure. At the time it was made, there didn't seem to be any negative feelings about it. It was taken several years ago, I think in 2009, and I was saddened to hear that Matine' died as a result of a pasture accident a few years later. It was an incredible performance on that video. Like you and most others, I rarely go into research mode before posting something pretty in case there is a later scandal. So shoot me..... Rolling Eyes ...I don't think posting it constitutes approval of animal abuse. I prefer to think of it in terms of remembering the mare and her fantastic performance.

It is raining, raining, raining. I thought Autumn was supposed to be dry and clear with blue skies and low humidity. Not here this year. tongue

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Well excuse me, Tuff, for posting an equine video (w/o doing extensive research) that I thought some folk here might enjoy. I shall refrain from doing that again!

I'll see you folks later...a little farther down the line.

Rick
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Fire ants   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 6:24 pm

CB

This is the link to what I use one fire ant hills

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/permethrin-sfr-insecticide-qt

I mix it an ounce per gallon in my 23 gallon spray tank. I pull the tank in a cart attached to a riding mower I have the deck off of to use it for a general utility hauler The pump on the tank is powered by two leads attached to the riding mower battery. I use the hand sprayer attachment and drench the mounds. It takes about a gallon a mound to drench them well, but it is much easier than the powders and you don't end up with them sneaking into your boots and heading "north" from there. I remember poor GLURCK sat on a downed tree they had established a nest in. I use the 36.6% for ants. For general spraying in the barn I use the 10%.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 6:24 pm

October 2014 - Page 2 10541952_621409847963317_5742108888216854432_n
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 pm

And what a cute ass it is rick! lol

Noone goes anywhere ya heah! we can agree to disagree and make opinons and go on....if ya remember that's what we were upset about on the other forum....so lets go on...and understand you can't hear the persons voice tone...but I don't want to be afraid of saying something and I know I've pulled some boners .....I get steamed up about my pet peeves also....

Besides I need everyone's support thru this move...and some health issues, ALL OF YOU!

Ok, I is done!

Tuff, thanks for the spray ideas....

Happy thanksgiving to our canadian foops
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2014
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next