Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

October 2014

Go down 
+8
tuffwheelr
sunny 57
Beech
cb
Ellen E
Graymare
Rick Angell
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ark
Admin

October 2014 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 10:32 pm

RICK:
 Awwwwwww!  So cute!  Is this Jillian?  

OL'MAN:
  Really great to see you!  I am so glad no one got hurt in the robbery.  Did you get your things back?    Second cutting hay here was very sparse, too.   I saw some guys putting up hay today, so you know they are late getting anything.  With all the rain we had this week and now cool weather, they will be lucky to get it dry.  We had about 3 inches of rain a couple of days ago.  

CAROL:
 It is really great to see you, too!  You and Gene have both been missed.  Besides hot, how did you like AZ in the summer?  It sounds like Minn. gets pretty hot in the summer, too.  Was the humidity better for you in AZ?

CB:
 Is Harry staying in Missouri for awhile while you are getting ready for the next haul?  We only moved animals about 75 miles, but it sure was complicated enough.  Your move is staggeringly scary!

BEECH:
 Wow!  I hadn't heard Scott and Helen Nearing's names since college.  We used to read a lot about them in our 'back to the land' days.  They both must be gone by now, what happened to their farm?   They were really well thought of.  
 That tunnel is interesting.  I hope it works out as well as expected!  Veggies in the winter in Maine would be wonderful.  

Donnie and I tacked up Ivan in Daisy's Australian Stock Saddle today and I climbed on to see how it felt while riding Ivan.  Wow.  That saddle is heavy!  I need a groom to just lift it up on Ivan.  (Thankfully I married one Laughing ).  I didn't have a clue how to do the girth, but Donnie did, so Ivan stood around calmly while he showed me how to fix it up.  It is actually kind of interesting.  Other than the weight while tacking up, it wasn't bad to ride in.   I am actually getting ready to put it on Areion after I ride Ivan in it for awhile.  I will be a bit more secure when she decides to leap out from under me next time..... Ivan and I rode around in front of the barn since the other horses were in the arena and are a pain to ride with while they are loose.  We trotted a little, but the stirrups are an inch or so too low and when I trotted, I came out of them.  We are going to put on safety cage stirrups and shorten the leathers a bit.  The girth is getting a little old, so I'll probably replace it, too, and use a somewhat larger saddle pad.  It may be fun to try out for awhile.  I hadn't sat in it in years.  It is so different from my English saddle.

Pix of course!

October 2014 - Page 4 4fRBQc

October 2014 - Page 4 Iy9oAw
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 11:47 pm

I'll bet you could barely put that puppy down RICK…………oh boy.  What a precious pup!!!

GENE, welcome back, great to see you.  Heavens, glad you & VIRGINIA are fine.  That had to be scary!

ARK, your saddle looks good……….hope it works out for you and makes you feel more secure on
Aerion…………

CB, sounds like you're pretty well organized to go……..it all sounds overwhelming, but it also sounds like it's almost perfect with pastures a pond, pens etc. & a barn……….and a house.  So, we're all happy for you.

Things are quite normal here………Eli to be gelded on Thursday, 2 new horse friends next door,
Mama totally enjoying her pasture.  Our weather is great right now so just doing chores around here such as weeding and mowing.

No other news.  God bless.  Prayers for ALL.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 12:25 am

Dawn's facebook posting is just too good to pass up considering "this group's" love of chocolate!October 2014 - Page 4 10415581_836169993082427_8914051181534906393_n

Thanks ARK for posting those....and YES...that is Jillian. I must agree wit Graymare that the puppy was kinda hard to and back, but aren't most puppies that way?? lol!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 11:23 am

Awwww. What a cute puppy!
By the way, how is Laurie doing? We haven't heard from her in a long long time.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks for asking, ELLEN ... Miss Laurie is a "school teacher". Doesn't that say enough..?? LOL! They are just "busy" with life and work, etc. I hear from her "occasionally"...ROFLOL!!
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 12:35 pm

ARK

You may want to try these from Chick's saddlery for that saddle.
I'm all for safety and these are pre made and might be pretty comfy while you're adjusting yourself to riding in the Aussie saddle.

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/AES216

I can see why the Aussie seems a bit strange. The seat wants to push you back into the cantle. Most werstern saddles do that as well. I have always had to really look hard for saddles. My western saddles have very flat seats, no sloping. My hunter class saddle is a Courbette Derby with comfy, but not standout knee rolls for riding more forward than on the flat equitation. I use a very flat Crosby Prix de Nations close contact for equitation. Both English saddles have had their trees stretched to fit the wider horses.

The more you ride the more you will find what is comfortable for you
and your horses.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 4:09 pm

GRAYMARE
It won't be a fun week for Eli....poor guy. (((((((Eli)))))))) I watched Ivan get the big snip about a month before he was moved here. affraid I am sort of glad I didn't know him well at the time! If Ivan had been born here, I would have been a nervous wreck about it....although it never bothered me much to have all my male goats done. I watched Ivan being done because I wanted to be sure it was done right. We were in the midst of getting Kazi and Daisy pregnant with Areion and didn't want any surprises from Ivan! Ivan was conceived after his sire was gelded and was a big surprise himself. I didn't want that family tradition passed along Laughing .

TUFF
Thanks for the website. I actually already have a set of brown caged stirrups that I bought for Donnie at the time I got my black ones for my black synthetic Thorogood saddle. That was about the time Donnie's knees started giving him so much trouble and he stopped riding Daisy. The caged stirrups have been sitting in a box never used. That is going to change! I can wear tennis shoes to ride in them and don't have to worry about my foot going thru the stirrups.
I love my comfy English/endurance saddles and the Australian saddle use is mostly to get me used to riding a very reactive Areion for awhile. The last unscheduled dismount was very unpleasant....
Have you been riding recently, TUFF? You haven't said anything about your horses in a long time. How are they? Remind us of their names and breeds, too!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Ark, that is one cool costume, but my question is this how is the horse so calm with all those long legs on it
Well the last few nights and days have been pleasant I have actually been leaving the Windows open at night
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 11:03 pm

ARK

I have three pasture ornaments. I might get back to riding if I have the surgery that will enable me to. Quite frankly at this point  I am not really interested if I ever get on a horse again.  But it doesn't mean I have forgotten anything I learned over a lifetime or I wouldn't try to give someone good sound advice that would stop them from getting hurt.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Tuff I have those ornaments too! ever since I watched jessi riding her bronc, I have lost nerve, but my lil cinnamon marehasn't had any lameness now for about 8 months, she will be the one I will get on and ride new trails and build my confidence back...I hope she stays sound now. joey took her out about 3 weeks ago and trotted and cantered and shendid well....thank goodness.
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 1:49 am

CB

It's not a matter of having confidence for me. I still can stay involved instructing and coaching if I want to give up my ammy status again. But waiting five years to regain it is not as easy when you are looking at 66 for your next birthday.

I really don't care to talk about why I am not riding and showing anymore. IT IS VERY PERSONAL!!!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 am

All I am interested in doing is plodding along the trails and seeing new places. I want to do america by horseback at least once....i did lots of competitive stuf over the years and now I just want to tool along....altho I may make it on a short competive ride with ark one of these days. I really loved natrc. I did the barrel scene, endurance, nacmo and imo, team sorting, bushtrack racing, roundups, and showing and teaching with 4h,,,but I think I like trail riding the bestest. we won't be far from some big trail rides at emminence, mo, once we get moved. My daughters r telling me to take it easy, and I tend to agree, it hurts much more now when I go splat....but not ready to just quit, not yet anyway. I enjoy getting out there on a good horse, definately therapeutic..still an ahhhhhhh. for me.

Hubby is busy building pens for the 3 horses cuz I don't want to throw them out on so much grass at one time.... build up slowly. and then turn them. loose. even tho its late in the year the grass is plentiful and my guys r use to dry lots....so big difference.

one nice thing on here no one ever harangues anyone for theeir reasons for doing or not doing something, but thereis always lots of encouragement for anything we r up to
I like that
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

SUNNY
Good to see you posting! I am glad your weather has cooled off, but am sad ours is. We are deep into autumn now, leaves falling everywhere. It won't be long until the dreaded winter weather. I have delusions of becoming a snowbird to Florida when the weather gets chilly. Only the thought of moving holds me back Laughing .

CB
I do understand lack of confidence about riding! It keeps me taking lessons and buying helmets and safety equipment. I don't bounce as well as I used to! Donnie says if I would stop whittling my own riding horses, I wouldn't get in near as much trouble. He's probably right, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun. Areion is the last one and having Lori do the hard parts was mostly to protect me. If I can live thru her training, I won't start any more young ones. One nice thing about training Kazi, she was 10 years old when we began and over the freaky baby stuff....mostly. I only came off of her once. I've lost track of how many times Ivan has dumped me. I just take two steps back in our training and keep on riding. Areion is too tall to come off of and not break something, so hopefully the riding safety vest will protect more of my delicate bits! Very Happy

Buck the carpenter, is back!! He has put in the new kitchen window today and is now working on the heat pump ducts. He and Donnie will be installing the big bow window this week and finishing the rest of the roof insulation. Hopefully they get it all done this week.

I have 100 bales of hay coming this afternoon and a big load of firewood coming Friday. Lori is coming Wednesday with Jane the endurance rider, for lessons. My dance card is full this week.

Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm

TUFF, if you're already professional why do you have to have amateur status?
Back to top Go down
tuffwheelr

tuffwheelr

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Syd,

My last professional year with show competition was 1996. My last year of (19 years)holding a trainers license with the NYS Racing Association was 1989 when the last one of my father's racehorses was sold. (He passed away in August 1987)

I do not train or instruct other people anymore. I do not miss show ring mothers that make the mothers on "Dance Moms" look like saints. Most of them when I showed them what attitude really was hit the road fast.  I do not miss the women that would buy $125 Harry Hall breeches or other stupid items and would not pay to have their horses shod by someone that was competent and not just cheap. Or not pay for their horses to be vetted routinely. You get very tired of late training fees, bounced checks and people that owe a month or two slipping out in the middle of the night. I got a nasty reputation because I did take them to court and win. And I have never regretted doing it. "Life is not a popularity contest."

I reapplied for ammy status again in 2007. After more than TEN years had passed. You only had to stay withdrawn for FIVE.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 7:05 pm

I so agree, life is not a popularity contest…………….each to their own, their well being, and happiness.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 11:22 pm

I guess I don't understand, TUFF. If you aren't going to ride or show or train, what difference does an amateur or professional status matter? What does either status give one if not used?

BTW, I only asked IF you were riding recently. A 'no' would have answered the question. I didn't ask why or why not. Sorry if I offended you. I land on my hiney often enough to know that injuries can take a toll, both physically and mentally. I have plenty of pasture ornaments who don't have to justify their existence. I feel privileged to have them in my life.

Donnie will be on 'vacation' the rest of the week. :dance: Working like a maniac, but at least where I can see him! We got the entire 100 bales of hay stuffed in the barn with those that Donnie made. The next 200 bales will go into the garage shed. Hopefully that will be all we need until next year's first cutting. Horse hay is hard to find this year. Firewood arrives Friday, probably along with the 200 bales. Then the winter supplies will be gathered.

The new kitchen window looks really nice. Kumquat now has a window sill to sit on in the kitchen. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 12:11 am

Ark there's a silver lining the way it sounds, ill bet u r glad its almost done.

Tuff, if its something u want to do then go for it....I will admit I know very little about ameteur or professional and very little about racing except I like to watch....everyone needs to follow their heart and do what they like as life is short.

I have to take my truck into town as my car and its battery have parted ways.....and then I realized my truck tags expired end of sept....so I put some water on my plate and threw dirt on it..the lil tag that says 09....yes I did....so y'all keep ur fingers crossed....or come visit me in jail, k. lol

Sweet dreams...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Happy anniversary ark and donnie!

Do something fun....like anniversary SEX!
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Whew! Busy day, but a good one. I sit here writing and am so full I can hardly move. Neighbor, her mom, and I went to Shipshewana this morning. First stop, the bulk food store. Only bought a few things there. Then, to the flea market. It was rather chilly and damp, so after about an hours we decided we'd bought enough fleas and wanted lunch. So, off to the Blue Gate for their DELICIOUS fried chicken, some of which I brought home with me. The last stop was at a bakery that makes the BEST donuts I've ever eaten. Then after getting home and resting up for a couple of hours, it was off to the hotel for pizza. (I had a hamburger.) Now, I don't feel like I'll need to eat for the rest of the week. LOL
I'll work some of it off in the next two days babysitting with the girls next door.

Happy Anniversary, Ark and Donnie.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 9:09 pm

MMMMMMMM, love that Blue Gate…….I had chicken & dumplings when I was there.  I remember them……DELICIOUS.

Did you go to the tack & feed store?  Lots of buggies there?  Loved that place, too.

It brings back fun memories from our fest at SAPP's……………….
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Thank you, CB and ELLEN......
 but that photo on Facebook about our anniversary was posted on April 13th, which was our anniversary.  DONNA commented on it today and set off a chain reaction of good wishes... five months late. Laughing   But I appreciate the sentiments!!  We celebrated our 40th anniversary by camping out in South Carolina at the Sandhills Spring Fling endurance ride where Ivan and I did the 25 mile ride.  It was really fun....and very difficult.  

I received the S-hook hackamore today that I ordered for Ivan.  I think I have it fitted correctly on him.  I didn't ride him, but he would turn his head, back up, and lower his head when I asked him from the ground.  It is heavier than I expected.  If it works out that Ivan doesn't run thru it, I may spring for the lighter aluminum S-hook later. It costs considerably more than the stainless steel one I got on sale.  Lori and Jane are coming tomorrow, surely Jane has seen one, lots of endurance riders use them.  The horse can eat on the trail easier without a bit in its mouth.  I hope Ivan likes it and behaves himself!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 21, 2014 10:26 pm

That's right you did....well hope u had the anniversary sex! I would like to see closeup pic of the hackamore.
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 2:34 pm

CB, are you still in TX or are you in MO now?  Stay safe!
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm still in texas, should be in mo in another 10 days. hub has been fixing fence and cleaning out buildings etc....I'm straightening up. and sorting thru boxes and stuff, feeding the horses and puppy dogs.....ready to do this....
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 3:40 pm

CB
 I will try to get a photo of the hackamore on Ivan next time I ride.  It seemed to work very well during our lesson yesterday.  We adjusted it up another notch and I think it sits where it is supposed to on Ivan's nose.  Our lesson was to do the same things with the hackamore that we do with his snaffle bit.  Ivan was a little confused at first, then seemed to catch on to the different feel and did everything really well!  We walked and trotted, turned, backed, did figure 8's, sidepassed, and most especially, stopped.  The one rein stop seems to work just fine.  It was sort of like suddenly having power steering, Ivan did all this with barely a touch.  He was Mr. Mellow about the entire thing.   Now what he might do if he was excited or in a new place amongst strange horses is not clear.  

Areion's lesson was done entirely bareback after a lounging session.  It was the longest time she has been ridden bareback, about a half hour.  Lori looks great on Areion.  Areion was Miss Mellow and didn't act out at all.  Pretty good for a very windy, chilly day!  

Jane's gelding, Albert, arrived at the end of Areion's lesson. Lori continued to ride Areion and she never got upset about Albert being nearby.  Ivan probability would have been, he thinks Areion is his mare and dislikes Albert being in the same state as her... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2014   October 2014 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 2014
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next