Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

July 2012

Go down 
+15
Graymare
Karen E. Teague
silverdancer
Indyapp
sunny 57
WV Witch
Rick Angell
Manygatess
Ol'Man
Santa
Carol W
Eileen
Ellen E
cb
Ark
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Eileen

July  2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Seems everyone is affected by this strange weather we are having. It has been hellish hot here of late, but thankfully we have had some T&L storms blow through and bring rain with it..so for a few hours it cools down some but only to fly right back up again. To day as well as tomorrow are going to be doozies...I am running in the morning to try and get things done and back home before the big heat is on us. I find that the Library is a cool place to be and do the cmomputing as my dial up devise at home is not working. Don't know what is wrong with it but if I remember correctly it was during an electrical storm that it concked out on me. I will get in touch with the company who makes it to see if that would happen as nothing else was hurt in or around the house. I know that other computers with out this devise can dial up...and yet I can use my computer in the library as I am doing now...very strange.
Stay cool guys, this too shall pass, watch, in a few months we will be complaining about the cold and ice and snow...well at least I will be no doubt. lol
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Ellen ... I don't have much to talk about ... It is HOT and I just stay in and try to wait it out!!! LOL I expect others are doing the same thing since the hot weather is far reaching. I saw this morning that there were some BAD storms in the Smoky Mountains and they are having problems getting the campers, etc. out. Prayers we get some better weather!!!!
Back to top Go down
WV Witch

WV Witch

PostSubject: Handsome Dinner Date   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:49 pm

rear I did finally enjoy a wonderful dinner date last night, after over two years of not visiting my friend! Hotter than hades here has been and will be for several more days, close to 100 or better for over a week already. hug
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Kent and I went over to my daughter's house to celebrate my oldest gr. daughter's 18th birthday her birthday was officialy the 1st of July but so that everyone could come they held it yesterday, dinner was steak and salad and a potato casserole that my daughter makes it is so yummy, she makes mashed potatoes and puts garlic, bacon and puts cheese on top then bakes it for about 15 minutes to melt the cheese on top and it tastes soooooo good,you can omit the garlicif you don't like it you can put anything in it you like to your taste but the cheese makes it, the days are counting down to turning off the computer, but I have facebook on my phone, Ark, if you can will you email me or send me a message on facebook on the sites location, then I can still keep in touch.
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Whew! HOT day! I had to work today, got off about 5:30 and rode home. It was a HOT ride. I have some cousins who will stay here tonight before heading home in the morning, so I stopped and picked up some KFC in case they are hungry when they get here. Even with the AC working well, I wasn't even about to cook.
As for rain, we haven't had any for ages. We had one short-lived storm over a week ago, but that didn't drop even close to enough rain to do any good. The crops are showing how thirsty they are.

JoAnn's has been in the process of remodeling, moving everything around in the store. That means that our little store-in-a-store will be moving too. With no date given, my manager was greeted this morning with the news that we will be moving tomorrow night - ALL night. She and another gal will be there all night. I'll be working some extra daytime hours to help them get a little rest. We've heard nightmare stories about the other stores' moves, so we are not anticipating a good time being had by all.
Of course, the store will not be closed while all this is going on over the next couple of weeks. The staff of JoAnn's will have to try to keep the store going while everything is getting moved around. Oh goody.

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 12:22 am

Whew! Hot day is right! The water coming out of the barn's hose was hot enough to make coffee. We drained and refilled the water troughs and buckets twice, trying to encourage the horses to drink. Areion has a thing about dumping water troughs, she likes to get wet.

This afternoon Donnie used his new weed wick to poison the johnsongrass growing in our hay field. It is twice as high as the grass and the weed wick skims along above the grass and wipes poison onto the taller johnsongrass. It took over 3 hours to do the entire field and will probably have to be done several times. I don't know for sure how we got a start of that stuff, but it sure has taken over our field.

ELLEN:
Good luck with that move! Sounds perfectly un-fun.

CAROL:
I haven't ridden Ivan, except for a couple of minutes last week, since I cracked my rib chasing that peacock. With as hot as it has been, it was probably a good time to take a break anyway. Rolling Eyes Stay cool!

ROSE:
It sure is good to see you! You can change your avatar to anything you'd like. I put the doggy photo there to keep from having a blank spot when you registered. Did you get any wind damage from that weird storm last week? Our neighbors finally got power yesterday, we have had ours since last Sunday evening. Up to 40 percent of the county was without power due to that storm.

SUNNY:
I will send you the link to this website. How are you doing? That birthday dinner sounded pretty yummy! My sister, Vicki, has her birthday on July 1, too.

EILEEN:
Have you been riding any lately? How hot has it been? We were in the mid-90s today.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 11:18 pm

The move went better than expected. My manager thought she'd have to be up all night to oversee everything, but was able to leave about 11:00 last night. Of course, she was back in the store at 5AM so she sure didn't get a lot of sleep. She stayed today until we closed at 8:00 this evening. She probably got home and completely crashed.
We were anticipating problems getting all the cable and internet up and going again, but that was all working just fine this morning. That was a HUGE relief. We got most things put away, although we still have to organized the merchandise displays.
I got there just before noon, and was on the go constantly until we closed. I rarely have to take any Tylenol, but I sure did this evening.
The worst is over, so we can get back to the business of selling machines. Oddly, we did sell two machines today.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 4:06 am

We had a dry thunder storm with lightning come thru this after noon....poor Harry had just sat down in the barber shop chair when daughter called me and said there was a fire at my exit! I ran inside and grabbed him and we literally flew home, I called a friend to go over and get the puppies out of the house...there were 11 new fires started from that storm! The fire was back off the interstate about two miles directily across from us, but burning toward mt. Home...so were safe...but then a fire started in a big haystack and started burning right outside of our lil town...and then another fire jumped the interstate and closed it down....all traffic go off at my exit, and I dreaded a big rig going by with a hot brake or blow a tire cuz it was at my back door where they were getting off at....and then came the dreaded call from my daughter that they had to evacuate...so I put my firend Michele back into service to take care of my puppies and off we went with both horse trailers and were moving horses out in front of the fire and driving them to safety..at one point we had several loose ones goind down the dirt road and I had two tied to the back of my horse trailer, driving very very slowly, but still managing to keep ahead of it, and people were riding their horses out also....what a mess....finally they got more helicopters in with big buckets and starting laying down fire retardant in front of it heavyily...we were miles away and we were still coughing from it....and the heavy thick smoke.....but as far as I know everyone is safe...driving home tonight we could see at least four fires in a 15 mile stretch lighting up the dark sky...eerie man...eerie and spooky...fires are scary....now daughter called again and has put us on stand by...another fire is heading their direction...I am beat..I am going to catch 40 winks and will sleep in my clothes tonight...pray/hum for rain for here please, we really need it now...thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Carol W

Carol W

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 10:06 am

Prayers going up CB .... prayers for all of the folks in danger of all these fires!!!!
Back to top Go down
sunny 57

sunny 57

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Ark, i tried to use the info you gave me but facebooksaid no group is there,, is there another way to get to it, I am running out of time with this computer and want to get it set up on my phone before I lose my connection,
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Hot again today and hotter tomorrow...new fires broke out today and one of the old ones they thought they had out is burning Bennett Mountain/Teapot Dome....so much smoke in the air its hard to breath! Interstate was closed today for many hours but farther west of us..I am so tired of the fires! the danger! The worry!

On a better side, I did find a mammoth jack to breed the mares to...so on Saturday I guess we'll be taking the mares visiting...we have a few days to decide on it yet..

I will have to get all my chores done early and then just veg in the house...but the swamper brings in the smoke, and I can't turn it off at 106 degrees I'd be roasted and so would the puppy dogs! Hubby went back to NV tonight...so I am hoping NO FIRES!

Y'all would have loved it tho, there were loose horses being herded, horses being ridden out bareback, some in trailers, and some tied to trailers getting them all to safety I do know one thing the Paint I had tied to my trailer last night loads really well today! He wants no more of the trotting behind stuff! Everyone was helping...it was quite a sight to see..but one I don't want to do again under the circumstances!

Have a great night y'all!

Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 am

CB:
I cannot imagine what your area is going through. I sincerely hope the fires are put out. I hate to think of the livestock and wild animals who are probably dying in that smoke and fire. Do take care of you!!!! hug

SUNNY:
I am not very good with FaceBook, but will try to figure out how to post the link to you there.

ELLEN:
Congrats on finishing the job of moving! Somehow that just didn't sound like fun. I bet everyone is happy to get it done!

We had the most wonderful weather day here today. Cloudy, a fair amount of rain over night, and misty rain during the day, with only mid-70s! It felt great. It has been so hot here (and everywhere, I guess), that it was a relief to have a drizzly day. Lori came and we had a lesson with Ivan and Daisy in the arena. Both of the horses did pretty good! We practiced some obstacles and I test-drove my ribs with trotting around. With Advil, they did fine.

Annie rode Daisy! Lori led her around since Annie's balance on a rather tall horse is probably not too good. Annie hasn't been on a horse in many years. The last time I saw her on a horse was when she rode my first horse, Sandy, when she was 7 years old, 40 years ago. Sandy took off and Annie fell off. It wasn't exactly a good experience.... Rolling Eyes ...She had fun today, though. Annie took some pix of Ivan and me trying to move a board around on a barrel without dropping the board off of the barrel. We did it, twice! Ivan was very pleased with himself. Laughing
Attachments
July  2012 - Page 2 AttachmentStartingBarrelsBoard.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(61 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
July  2012 - Page 2 AttachmentAnnieRidingDaisy.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(49 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 pm

If I rode on an English saddle I know I would fall off! bounce and I wouldn't bounce, it would be more like a SPLAT! affraid rabbit

Well, I have everyone fed, have done my two day dirty dishes in the sink...changed the puppy bedding...and now I have to find the lil kitten who ran into the house this morning....and then other than watering everyone mid day, I am going to veg and go thru some more papers...how does one accumalate so much in papers that are supposedly improtant stuff? IDK! pirat

The workers worke on the bridge ALL night long with two huge spotlights up there that lit up my whole yard and pastures....geesh...dogs barked all night long cuz they could see guys up there moving around! I'll be glad when they get that bridge done! and soooo glad when the fire danger is gone!
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:41 pm

CB I cannot imagine what you and your family and neighbors are going through. I have dealt with a few major fires, and some local wildies but not this....this sounds like too much for one person or family to continually fight and come out the winner. My heat goes out to you and the whole area. Pray for rain out there everyone.
We have had some dandy rains here and have had all spring where as close neighboring areas have had very little. Crops were destroyed not far away due to hail. Wind damage in other places and small crops conpletely washed away, there does not seem to be a happy medium anywhere. This past week has made the corn grow in record time...it seems to gain a foot in a day in the dreadfull heat
Ark, I have not done near the riding that I like to do while home. It is either the heat, or rain, or I am busy and some important errand. and of course this puppy that I aquired while in Florida does take up most of my spare time. He is so good, very quick and smart and loves to be in on every activity that I am involved in. We are planning on a ride and camp expedition in late Aug and Sept...hopefully that will not fall flat.
Hope that all of us can get through this summer with out too much lost.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Wanted to call your attention to this: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/the-horse-herders-of-iceland-slideshow/herd-in-iceland-photo-1342023319.html

Hope all are staying comfortable and cool.

Rick & Snoop
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Rick, the guy on "The Horse Show" on RFD did a series of shows about being in Iceland and their horses. It was one of the best series of shows he's done. Of course, his name is Rick (Lamb) so you know it had to be good.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:20 am

More smoke settling in the valley...ugh...Hot again today, its over 100 for 5th day now, tomorrow will be #6...and more lightning storms in the forecast..oh yippee...

I am sleep deprived...between the workers on the bridge and my dogs barking at them all night long (they have those big lights up there and it lights my place up like a flash going off only continuous...and then the darn crop duster EARLY this morning dive bombing over the trees and my trailer..horses running and dogs barking....and now the workers are back on the bridge...oh yay...

Have a good night y'all...
Back to top Go down
Eileen

Eileen

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 2:33 pm

It has been pretty dull here of late. The heat is coming back they say. We did not have rain for a day or two so that gives the farmers some time to get back in that field.
I was coming home from town yesterday and one of my neighbors stubble fields was a blazing away...he was doing the big round bales and it must have caught fire as he dropped it for one r eason or another...the baler was parked back wind of the blaze, there were about 3 or 4 bales already just about done from fire...huge round circle of charred straw, and the fire dept was not there yet but there were no building close by to catch fire unlike a few years ago with the same senerio and right next to my barn with the wind blowing toward it...yuck...but it did not take long once the fire department got there to get things under control I feel for ya CB it is not fun when fire is involved. The workers on the exit etc are sure trying to do the job right but I know it does not help you to sleep...just keep thinking/// next year at this time you will be in Texas,
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 2:44 pm

TWH, that does help...keeping that in my mind...

Glad they got the fire out....poor farmer losing his crop tho! ouch!

We have a fire about 11 miles from us, one 8 miles from us and there were two new ones near Boise in the foothills yesterday...it just won't quit! grrrrrrrr....Hummin' for anyone in danger, they talked of evacuations last night again....between Boise and Idaho City....lots of country big homes up that way.

Sunny and Hot out there, just went out to rewater everyone...dump out the hot and put in the new cold water...keep everyone wanting to drink in this heat it has to be hard on the animals too.

Pretty quiet today since the road/bridge workers left at 5...and I finally drifted off to a sound sleep only to have dogs wake me as they want out to potty! good puppy dogs. The puppies are growing fast and are so cute! All black/Blue and White...so darn cute. Momma Bluey eats like a horse! She has a can of dog food, split between two feedings, all the dry food she can eat and treats thru out the day that I share...she is keeping her weight up really good for nursing those hungry critters! She has been a really good mom for first time.

Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Has been very pleasant here the last couple days...but the air is still a bit "heavy". I just finished "cleaning the woods" in front of the house using tractor and brush hog. Gonna do my "field" tomorrow...it grows weeds, some grass, and a bit of garden (neighbor has used it in times gone by), but does provide me an excuse to run my tractor some.

Got a philosophical question about our "home" here on the computer. We gladly "welcome" most folks that are newcomers here, but HOW DO THEY FIND US?? I know that this is mostly a "carry-over" from the old Horse-Web days, and our numbers have dwindled down some. We need...IMHO....to go on some sort of campaign to attract / get some new members/residents to FOOPVILLE.

Love to all....RICK & Snoop who is ClappingHands ClappingHands ClappingHands for ANNIE riding. She be the queen queen queen
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Big concert cancelled tonight in Boise, and people are being encouraged to stay inside becuz of the bad air quality..it is in the orange...and with our smoke here, I'll bet its higher than that here....right now it is 103 and it will get hotter about five...sigh....I'm ready for a cool down, for sure! I took a book and read with the fan blowing on me...it was tolerable...the pups are all sleeping so they don't seem overly concerned about the heat....they have a fan on them too, as do all the dogs...we hung fans up to blow in the puppy room and the outside doggie room for splotch and bubba...bubba loves his fan, he lays on his back feet in the air and goes...ahhhhhh....and they have shade trees also...as do the horses, I worry about no shade in Texas...we'll have to get something going down there for shade when we get there...at least it will be fall when we get there and not quite as hot as it is here right now....give us time to get some shade erected before the heat hits again.

Well, hope y'all are staying cool and safe.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Hiya all.

CB:
I hope you get cooled off and those fires put out fast. Faster than fast. That is just so scary.

RICK:
That is a good question. I don't know the answer. Begging folks to post doesn't seem to help much....sigh....If you come up with an answer, please pass it along!

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in their pants! clown " (Mary Tyler Moore Show) I think I've done all that and it hasn't helped Laughing . Facebook seems to be most folks choice for keeping in contact. I really don't like it. I feel no sense of community there.

Annie enjoyed her ride on Daisy, although felt she was way too high off the ground. Very Happy I am sure she will do it again. She is taking Trinket to the county fair's pet show soon, Trinket is much less intimidating to her.

We went to see "Spiderman" this afternoon. popcorn Very fun show! Before that we took Kazi to the vet school for her pedicure. She seems to really enjoy her spa day out. Cool Her feet are doing good.
Back to top Go down
Rick Angell

Rick Angell

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 pm

ARK...I guess i was wondering about what you would "google" that would land you in our midst. I doubt I'll ever be BIG into Facebook. I much prefer the sense of community we have here. Are we keeping a good secret to ourselves...or do we just NOT care anymore? I will say this...the "dynamics" of this group (and I'm including ALL sub-groups from the Over 50 Horsenet days) is unbelievable. That is why I sincerely mean it when I say...

'LOVE TO ALL"...Rick and Snoop
Back to top Go down
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 am

I agree with both of you about Facebook. I have an account there, but never use it. Your comments about the lack of a sense of community is a very good explanation of why I don't like it, and don't use it.
Back to top Go down
Indyapp

Indyapp

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 am

I agree with ARK and ELLEN on the Facebook thing. I've only just set up an account w/them and it really doesn't 'do' anything for me. I've got a few friends and have decided that some people spend too much time on the computer as it tells me their scores, the silly little political cartoons and such they 'Like' and quite frankly I don't care. Now if they DO something and want to tell alot of people about it at once it works. But, it doesn't seemed to be used that way much.

Me, I'm not doing much. I get to care for my new great-neice tonight for a few hours. Other than that the only thing I've been doing is hiding from the heat, going to work, and studying for the exam I'll be taking next weekend. For that I can use all the best wishes of luck I can get.
Back to top Go down
Manygatess

Manygatess

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 11:28 am

Hey guys. Just been busy here in PA with the garden. I tried to post the other day and it refused to allow me to and I lost the post. I guess I should have tried later but got busy.

Please don't close the Foopville. I never go to Facebook. It seems impersonal and we have such a nice group of Foops on here. I'll try to post more often I promise...I read every morning.

We picked peppers, green beans, onions and cabbage. The corn and brussel sprouts re looking good. This garden is keeping us really busy. Not much rain, so we are hauling water across the street to water with. Collecting rain water when it rains to water with. Putting up the green beans & peppers later this morning.

I think the worst part of gardens is the harvesting of the veggies and getting them put in the freezer. Planting was the easy part. I must be getting old. HAHAHA All that bending over is a killer.

CB: Gosh girl...all those fires. I would go crazy, I am so afraid of fire, can hardy light a match. I think I must have been burned at the stake as a witch in a previous life. tee hee...some in my family would say I fit that description now-a-days too.

Things at the PO have been crazy too. They can't find someone who wants the main Post Master job, so looks like I'll be subbing for a couple months until they an locate someone. Not my idea of a good time, but I just can't walk away...I can do it for a couple months.

Have a wonderful day everyone..I'm off to snap the beans and get them ready for their hot bath and into the freezer.

Love & prayers to all....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July 2012   July  2012 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

July 2012
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next