Over 50 Horse Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Over 50 Horse Friends

A place for the old Over 50 Horsenet friends and new friends interested in horses.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

August 2013

Go down 
+8
NancyLee
sunny 57
cb
Graymare
Ellen E
Manygatess
Carol W
Ark
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Ellen E

August 2013 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Rick, do you know a Debbie Wolaver from Mocksville?  She just won third in the Adequan Select championship show in Amarillo, in hunter hack.  Her horse is 24 years old.  He knows his job.
She is also in the working hunter prelims.  Have to wait until tomorrow to find out if she made it to the finals.

Posted a day later, Saturday. Debbie was reserve champion in equitation over fences.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 6:00 pm

here is a news bulletin....insurance companies will insure your horse trailers for repairs or replacement value, but they will not tow it with horses in it! They say they hire out to local tow truck drivers and they do not want the liability towing a trailer with livestock in it....so hence will not tow. So if you are traveling your are screwed, unless you know someone or have a second truck in the group...but if you are by yourself, what do you do. You would have to leave your horses sit in the trailer and go with the tow truck and rent a uhaul truck big enuf to pull your trailer to where your broke vehicle is located....I would hate to leave my critters out along the road/interstate by their selves....
I have checked with Geico, and State Farm, and Triple A so far....none will do it. We really need to raise some hell with our insurance carriers on this and let our voices be heard. This is a bitter pill to swallow knowing I want to travel and woCndering how do I do this when I don't know anyone to come and take my horses, or find a uhaul place......yegads.... check with your insurance company...don't assume they will do it...cuz you could be in a real
dilemma!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 6:08 pm

CB, local fire dept's will find someone............
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 9:27 pm

CB:
This is the company that endurance riders seem to prefer for hauling horses after a truck problem:

http://www.usrider.org

They don't seem to be extremely expensive either. I would get it if I went further than the hundred miles or so that we seem to stay within.

RICK:
How's the cold? Where are you today?

GRAYMARE:
How are you doing? Still in the mountains?

Areion's lesson went very well last Thursday. She bucked after being saddled and then turned loose in the round pen, but got over it in a few minutes. She didn't give any problems with Lori riding her. Lori has Areion starting to 'follow her nose' and getting a bit of directional control.

Ivan was spooky as could be in the furthest corner of the arena. He was convinced there was a horse eating monster there and was a pill every time we entered that area of the arena. Today we may have found out why. There is a large dead deer about 200 feet away across the lower pasture that is closest to that side of the arena. It was either hit or shot on the edge of the pasture bordering the road. Ivan may have been smelling it before we did. Areion was spooky there, too, but Lori kept her so busy that she soon got over it. I had to be careful about Ivan doing one of his spin and bolt moves, so didn't have a very fun lesson. I'll call the county about moving it next Tuesday when the trash truck passes right by the deer.

Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Ellen E

Ellen E

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Ivan was convinced that whatever killed the deer had him next on the list. If you were able to keep him from doing a spin and bolt in his arena, maybe it will be easier out on a trail.

Back to top Go down
cb

cb

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 11:37 am

Graymare, some of the places we get to, there are no local fire companies for several hundred miles, and you would have to know who to call to get hold of them.

US Rider CAN't guarantee the tow driver where you broke down at will tow those horses....check into this deeper. If a big major company can't guarantee it, they can't either. You could be stuck along the road with horses in a trailer like I was, or you may have to get them out and do WHAT with them if its the trailer that needs repaired,.. I guess lead them along an interstate with no water, or ride them along side semis, not something I think would be fun to do. Check into your insurance and make sure. I travel a lot with mine long distances...have never had this problem before...always got them towed along...but now the tow companies do NOT want to do it or do not have heavy enuf truck to do it and don't want the liability. US rider is the same as the other insurance companies....they sign out to a tow truck in your area, but they can't guarantee that truck WILL pull your horses. It leaves a lot of us afraid to travel. Think about it.

Had birthday dinner for SIL last night. His parents came down from Lubbock...had a good steak dinner! Yum...

Today the girls are coming out to show off their riding skills to their grandparents they don't get to see real often.

Hot and humid....yick!
Back to top Go down
Graymare

Graymare

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 12:27 pm

My only suggestion is, in that case, is to travel in groups to those places CB............very remote places need at least 2 rigs and if one breaks down you might have to make a couple of trips in & out to problem solve.................I don't know. Maybe find some folks that want to go road traveling.
Back to top Go down
Ark
Admin
Ark

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 1:17 pm

It's that time of month again, time sure flies by.....go to:

https://horsefriends.forumotion.com/t24-september-2013#2850

This thread is now locked.
Back to top Go down
https://horsefriends.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August 2013   August 2013 - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

August 2013
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5